• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Fair enough- though most of Superior is Otto doing things worse than what Peter had done in previous arcs. That's why I find it so enjoyable now.

Aside from a few issues in the very, very beginning of the Lee & Ditko run, I really should pick up Amazing and give it ALL a read.

diaspora

Aside from a few issues in the very, very beginning of the Lee & Ditko run, I really should pick up Amazing and give it ALL a read.

Honestly, just find arcs that interest you and go nuts. I got my start with Gauntlet and Grim Hunt though I personally wouldn't dream of reading it all myself.

I liked moon knight way more than last month, but it just feels like a 2.99 book and it isn't. I know it seems really stingy to begrudge a dollar, but I'm liking loki way more. I also would like some sort of serial being worked in. I like the story telling for the most part but I'm finding it really difficult to care about next month or the month after.

P.S. everybody should be reading Loki.

Toa TAK

Banned
Shit, I missed Amazing Spider-Man 1.1. Is it worth the cash?
It definetly fills in the blanks between Amazing Fantasy and ASM#1. No villain yet, but it's nice to see Peter develop. He just doesn't JUMP into the hero biz.
Honestly, just find arcs that interest you and go nuts. I got my start with Gauntlet and Grim Hunt though I personally wouldn't dream of reading it all myself.

700 issues do sound like a lot.

It definetly fills in the blanks between Amazing Fantasy and ASM#1. No villain yet, but it's nice to see Peter develop. He just doesn't JUMP into the hero biz.
A'ight. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

Almost caught up to Batman - New 52, buuuuuuut I keep getting bored. The art is good, though. I might as well keep going. :/

Started reading Old Man Logan, since some people mentioned it while talking about Hugh Jackman's career. Looked interesting, so why not?

Just finished the 1st chapter, and it seems intriguing in just how fucked up everything in this future is. I mean, it isn't the sort of familiar landscape that you get with other future stories like TDKR or Kingdom Come. This is a much more extreme dystopia, so I'm just eager to try and figure out exactly what happened.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Moon Knight was awesome.....again. Book is really gonna piss off people who like a bunch of dialog.
His new suit was awesome!

It's really refreshing to open a comic and read the 20-30 pages and the story be done. No cliffhangers, no trying to remember what happened before. Just a nice little story that makes you smile.

I literally just read it and I dunno, I felt a bit empty. The art is stunning, can't say a bad thing about it. But the story was so slight, what was it even?
He gets beat up, finds some magic armour, kills the ghosts and then finds the bodies? It was just a b c, so pat, nothing apart from the art really saying or doing anything. Finding the bodies really stuck out to me as odd too - so this building is being renovated - you open the door, go down some stairs and there's the bodies, not really hidden or anything. Is anyone even renovating this building? Doesn't that involve going inside it at some point? How long had the punks been there, since the 70s? That building's been renovated since the 70s??
When I thought about it for more than a second it totally fell apart.

Still, Declan Shalvey can draw that white cape all day and I will be somewhat happy. Ellis needs to start making this go somewhere soon though.

Batman Eternal was much better for not having that terrible Major dude in it. Love the art too, Clarke is so unique, really like it when he pops up. The story was a bit eehhhhhh. I like the angle with Vicki, having her be obliviously reckless is a fun comic beat. Was nice to see Tim being Tim, I've missed that. The nano bots got a big eye roll though. It feels a bit stupid.

Future's End was much much better than I'd expected. As others have said, strong 52 vibes from this. Time will tell where it goes, but I'm on board for a while. Much more promising than Eternal started, I thought.

Original Sin was very solid. I don't really like Deodato, the photoshop filter he uses is a bit ugly, and I find the aggressive modern styling a of his layouts a bit tiring to read but he served the story well and has a good enough style to do recognisable and consistent characters in a book like this. The story is really interesting and I have great faith in Aaron, dude has literally never let me down ever, even when he wrote Mojo and I bloody hate Mojo. That sure is a big ass team that got put together though.

Original Sin was rad. I wasn't sure about a superhero murdrr mystery, but it's really entertaining so far and seems to be working better than the standard event fare Marvel has tried in the past.

Iron Fist Living Weapon #2 was also a blast. Shit just got real. I still don't see the violence that some people were complaining about. Hand ninjas aren't even real people.

Magneto #1 was stellar, Nightcrawler #1 was stellar, Cyclops #1 was stellar.

Storm #1 will be...!!!!!! I can't wait. X-Men solos = the new age of comics.

I really liked Original Sin, the art and roster work really well for me.
I like the idea of this big mystery but damn, I hope it won't turn out to be a mix between Ultimate Origin and Identity Crisis.

At least, it's Aaron, not Loeb or Millar.

I think Hepzibah has awakened something in me and I don't like it.

I don't like it at all.

Magneto #1 was stellar, Nightcrawler #1 was stellar, Cyclops #1 was stellar.

Storm #1 will be...!!!!!! I can't wait. X-Men solos = the new age of comics.

Nightcrawler #1 was....something.

2/3 aint bad though

you mean genocide and murder.

Don't people have to die for it to be genocide? She just turned off the x-gene which inadvertently killed some people with shitty mutations. Genocide in real life is serious business, and while I believe that Marvel wanted you to think it was genocide to make it more dramatic, it was not genocide. Genosha was genocide.

I think Hepzibah has awakened something in me and I don't like it.

I don't like it at all.

Give in to the space skunk lady. Corsair did.

hepzibah2.jpg

Every time I consider expressing my mild dislike of the xmen with hyperbolic hatred, i wind up sounding like a crazy nazi and making myself uncomfortable.

Oh well. Guess the internet has enough trolls without my help.

Don't people have to die for it to be genocide? She just turned off the x-gene which inadvertently killed some people with shitty mutations. Genocide in real life is serious business, and while I believe that Marvel wanted you to think it was genocide to make it more dramatic, it was not genocide. Genosha was genocide.

well it's all sci-fi allegory stuff anyways, but the description of genocide includes forced sterilization, which is what she did.

well it's all sci-fi allegory stuff anyways, but the description of genocide includes forced sterilization, which is what she did.

Although that also clearly didn't happen here as new mutants have been born. It just took the normal cycle of baby to adolescent. So there was a gap in mutant awakenings but it wasn't prevented completely. The point is that intention matters and people trying to color Cyclops as anything other than a villain are grasping at straws. Especially since he's basically been a fear-mongering dictator for almost 10 years even before he was "corrupted" by the Phoenix Force.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've been catching up on Spider-Man. Only a couple more issues of Superior to go.

WTF
The way Slott has been making everything fall apart is just lazy and unconvincing.
I said "Fuck you." aloud when Norman
hacked his arms. Why do his arms need internet? Do they browse GAF?
#29 was such shit that I don't know if I'm going to continue.

diaspora

I've been catching up on Spider-Man. Only a couple more issues of Superior to go.

WTF
The way Slott has been making everything fall apart is just lazy and unconvincing.
I said "Fuck you." aloud when Norman hacked his arms. Why do his arms need internet? Do they browse GAF? #29 was such shit that I don't know if I want to continue.

The electronic unit his arms are physically connected to is probably connected to his surveillance bots which Norman hacked by actually getting his hands on them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The electronic unit his arms are physically connected to is probably connected to his surveillance bots which Norman hacked by actually getting his hands on them.

They were connected to his phone originally.
But that didn't fit the "everything has to go wrong" agenda so they got connected to his mask later, which almost makes sense, but not really. I'm convinced the change was made purely so we could have that moment where Norman shows him things.
There's no reason for his mask and arms to be connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom