• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unai

Green Lantern's fans, please explaing something to me.

When Hal Jorndan became Parallax, he destroyed the cops and later on Kyle Rayner was the only active Green Lantern. But right in the beginning of Rebirth, John Stwart had a ring and was a Green Lantern. How? I thought the corps was retored only after Hal come back to life.

I rereading the Rebith now. The first time I read it, I didn't know too much about the green lantern mythos, so I didn't noticed that back there. I already went back and read the most important arcs, like the Emerald Twlight/Dawn, Zero Hour and Final Night.

So, what's up with John having a ring?

Owzers

I wish that JJ 3 would have went in Xo, this game has gotten quite good.

....this isn't NBA gaf....

Comics! and things!

frye

Wow, just read some articles about Bob Kane and the whole Spider-Man debacle. Holy crap. I guess Kirby created most of the character, while Ditko made him who he is now.

The behind-the-scenes of comics are crazy. o.o

Even die hard Kirby heads take his Spider-Man claims as... suspect. That's a Ditko character through and through.

noquarter

oqozpAI.jpg

In a nutshell: the Batman you know would not exist today without Bill Finger's considerable contributions to the character, but for decades Bob Kane took and received sole credit for his creation, and to this day DC credits only Kane as Batman's creator ("we're all good").

Stan Lee also had a habit of taking credit for creating characters that he had minimal input on, or were collaborative efforts, but not to the extent that Kane sidelined Finger.
The Bob Kane - Bill Finger is way worse than Stan Lee to Kirby/Ditko.

Bob Kane did just take all the credit and threw Bill Finger to the side. The Finger estate didn't get anything and to this day Bill Finger isn't credited with anything in Batman.

Stan Lee has always given credit to Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. The problem is people feel he doesn't give enough credit. One of the stories I was reading was about the Spider Man costume and how Ditko got the idea from his neighborhood, they had some spider costume in a place there that was like Spider Mans, but at times Stan has taken the credit for the idea, and has also said it was Ditkos idea but he approved it, etc.

Lots of drama in the early years of comics. Fun to read about, even if it brings out the warts of the industry.

As far as I undertand, Kirby did do an initial design for Spider-Man, but Stan Lee didn't like it and gave the assignment to Ditko. It wasn't until way later that Kirby claimed credit for Spidey.
Then why the hell is Stan Lee credited as the creator all the time?
Still, it's not as bad as Bob Kane. What a huuuuuuuuge dick.

frye

Then why the hell is Stan Lee credited as the creator all the time?
Still, it's not as bad as Bob Kane. What a huuuuuuuuge dick.

Well, it's not like Stan Lee didn't do anything at all.

(and yeah the Sean Howe Marvel book is super great about all this stuff)

Jetman

So, what's up with John having a ring?

Without digging around through the Internet- pretty sure Kyle had a way to create rings with his own. I remember he created one for Jade, and I think he created one for John Stewart. I'll wait for Comic GAF to correct me if I'm wrong..,

Edit: Fail at Lantern trivia. Kyle had a spare ring and battery, gave it to Jade, then she passed it on to Stewart.

Question Comics GAF, what is the best way to sell used hardcovers and TBPs? I have around 30 - 40 books I want to sell and currently debating whether to just throw em up on ebay and see how it goes.

Cyke solo book is so good and man the feels... Dunno if it was just me but half the time I wanted to say "d'awww" while reading. The art is solid too, especially in that Scott really looks like a sixteen year old - quite gangly and uncoordinated at times.

His inner monologue about what he wanted to be when he grew up was sweet, in that all he really wanted to be was a cool guy like his dad. Well now, he has a chance to be that astronaut, that pirate, that pilot but most of all, he has time with his dad.

I don't know if any of you guys watch Modern Family but tonight's new episode had one of the main characters trying to sell his "near mint" Amazing Spiderman #3 First Appearance of Doctor Octopus. Don't want to spoil the funny in case anybody wants to watch, but it was a neat little 5-minute thing.

Question Comics GAF, what is the best way to sell used hardcovers and TBPs? I have around 30 - 40 books I want to sell and currently debating whether to just throw em up on ebay and see how it goes.

Probably your best bet. There are websites out there that buy used books, but they'll give you next to nothing.

Cyclops #1 was so good. I shouldn't have doubted Rucka. I share the Hepzibah feeling from some pages back.

I'm in for Original Sin. I don't remember liking Deodato's art that much before, but it was stupendous in here. I love the unusual teams-ups.

I'm also in for Future's End. I'm getting the 52 vibes, I hope it delivers.

Bob Kane doing clown paintings should just be called self-portraits.

And the story is fucking hilarious--dude was a fucking villain.

I think it was Chris Sims who mentioned how funny it was that Batman was partially created by a goddamned super-villain. Here's a little story about how Bob fucked over Jerry Siegel when he tried to get the Superman rights.

AC021.jpg

For those who want to hear more about how fucked up Kane was, here's the Ask Chris article in which Sims atomic elbow drops Bob.

Jetman

Oh, question for anyone who've read them, but the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb Marvel stuff- any good? I enjoyed their DC collaborations: Long Halloween, Dark Victory , For All Seasons, but never tried out the Marvel stuff- Daredevil:Yellow, Hulk: Grey, Captain America:White ,etc.
Planned on getting Spiderman:Blue while my hype from watching the movie is still up, and thought I might pick up the others as well. I know Loeb jumped off the deep end after Ultimates but hoping these are at least good..,

Cheska

Post what you have for sale on here and you may be able to avoid eBay seller fees! :)

I may have bought a replica Spider-man mask and may be wearing it around the house for no good reason.

Edit. You can find the pics on my twitter if you wanna see, lol.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh, question for anyone who've read them, but the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb Marvel stuff- any good? I enjoyed their DC collaborations: Long Halloween, Dark Victory , For All Seasons, but never tried out the Marvel stuff- Daredevil:Yellow, Hulk: Grey, Captain America:White ,etc.
Planned on getting Spiderman:Blue while my hype from watching the movie is still up, and thought I might pick up the others as well. I know Loeb jumped off the deep end after Ultimates but hoping these are at least good..,
GAF will answer that it sucks, but you should give their Marvel Stuff a try, they are really good.

Black Widow was really, really good this month. That Phil Noto art! You believe there was a forum member that wanted someone else on art? Sheesh. Love the cameo which you knew was gonna happen.

Jetman

GAF will answer that it sucks, but you should give their Marvel Stuff a try, they are really good.

Haha, gotcha, since no one else on GAF replied, I'll assume you're the majority who said they are good. My mind was already set on Spiderman, just wasn't sure about the rest.
Having trouble trying to find the Captain America one though.

Black Widow was really, really good this month. That Phil Noto art! You believe there was a forum member that wanted someone else on art? Sheesh. Love the cameo which you knew was gonna happen.

Funny enough, I got spoiled on the cameo via tumblr but laughed all the same when seeing it in the book. It fit perfectly really.

Also, anyone who hates Noto's art for BW... just no.

I really wish they had a Marvel Team-Up book drawn by SY.

Same here... I was glad that my LCS got 5 copies of the SY variant so I was able to get it with no problems. Even though he just drew the cover, the whole premise of the X-Babies vs. A-Babies one-shot was something I want more of tbh.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Haha, gotcha, since no one else on GAF replied, I'll assume you're the majority who said they are good. My mind was already set on Spiderman, just wasn't sure about the rest.
Having trouble trying to find the Captain America one though.
They only released a prolouge of Captain America: White, #0-Issue. I think, on this point we can assume that their Cap Story is dead :/

But then again, they are currently rereleasing some of the Loeb/Sale Color Books, so maybe we see a announcement soon.

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing what you have for sale. I read trades exclusively and only started reading comics 2 years ago, so I'm always looking to add to my collection.

I READ SO MANY COMICS TODAY.

Catching up on the last few weeks (sans Secret Avengers 2)

Let's see what I got...

Southern Bastards 1

So this is basically gonna be Jason Aaron's take on Walking Tall? Cause I'm okay with that. I really, really liked this. I dunno if I... enjoyed it. There's a melancholy feeling that permeates the pages. Earl is... interesting. Feels like Josh Brolin from No Country for Old Men, but like... old. The art is pitch perfect for this story. Scratchy, feeling imposing, but familiar. I really like it. I'm sticking with this one. I can't wait to see what Earl gets up to.

The Wake 8

I like Scott Snyder a lot, but I'm just... not really feeling it. Art's nice, the pirate angle is cool, but I dunno... doesn't speak to me. I'll finish out the mini-series though.

FBP 9

Nice art, but this is my last one. I'm dropping this title. I read it every month and have no idea what the fuck I'm reading.

American Vampire: Second Cycle 2

Bit of a setup issue, but good stuff. Beautiful art, Pearl continues to be one of my favorite "heroines" and the Grey Trader... holy Jesus, the Grey Trader. That might be one of the most horrifying visuals I have ever seen.

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man 11

Total filler issue. It's okay. I guess. But total filler.

Winter Soldier: Bitter March 1

Winter Soldier: Bitter March 2

I grabbed this cause: 1) Remender's writing it, 2) It's a cool 1960s Spy-Fi romp in Europe, 3) Beautiful art, and 4) I'm riding high on Winter Soldier hype. This is pretty great thus far. Love the art, like the story, like this guy Shen (I don't read Captain America or many other MU comics, so I don't know him, but I like him). It's a fun romp through Europe. I'd love to see this as an ongoing set in the 60s and 70s throughout the Cold War.

Black Widow 6

Pretty good issue. Art continues to be lovely, but it feels like the storytelling is a bit sedate. Great cameo though. Why can't Natasha just make a good friend?

Moon Knight 3

This was awesome. I continue to really like this comic. Great art. Great storytelling though I hope Ellis begins to serialize a bit instead of these standalones... but knowing Ellis, he'll probably quit at some point and leave everything in the air. When he does, I hope they find a great writer that continues this tone and type of storytelling.

Punisher 5

AWESOME! Everything building up for the past few issues finally comes to a head and its awesome. The Dos Soles plan is pretty simple, but it's effective. The art is beautiful, great colour work, and Edmondson is great at telling an action story. Loved the moment at the end... total Punisher style monologue. Absolutely loved it. Frank Castle is The Punisher. It is an awesome moment.

GAF, I am new to comics. I read a few random issues I thought looked cool while growing up but I'm looking into reading them more seriously. But I have a few questions.

I'm really interested in reading the original The Amazing Spider-Man. I'm looking at the Marvel Digital Store and they have issues 1-67 and then a bunch of random grouping of numbers. I plan on taking my time reading them and not buying all of them at once but I don't want to start buying them and then eventually not being able to have them all.

I imagine it takes time to release all of these classic comics. But I cannot find any info anywhere about how often they release issues digitally. Can anyone help me out here? I can't even find a release calendar or an article talking about their process in releasing these comics.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mike Double U, your timing is pretty terrible.
Comixology just had all of those early Amazing Spider-Man issues, plus the pre-Superior Spider-Man Dan Slott run on Amazing Spider-Man, all for $0.99 each a couple days ago.

There's no real logic or consistency to when things are released.

There's also Unlimited, but I find their Android app unusable so I don't subscribe.

LegendX48

Anyone know if Cable and X-Force is still going or was the Vendetta story pretty much the end of it?

Also, how's that new Black Widow series?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dammit, every issue of Moon Knight has been a callback according to Ellis on Twitter. He says, collect them all. For those who have read issue 3.

http://www.comicvine.com/moon-knight-31-a-box-of-music-for-savage-studs/4000-23130/

Jedeye, read that.

OK that's clever I guess. Doesn't really change the fact that the 20 pages I bought in 2014 were deeply unsatisfying but I admire Ellis' commitment to being obtuse, it's a virtue I admire in an artist.

edit: re Black Widow - have not read since #3 but can anyone confirm to me whether each issue is still an assassination that ends with her looking at a spider out the window of her apartment?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I know I'm not a well-known regular here, I'm more of a lurker, but I wanted to chip in and say that I really like She-Hulk, it's become one of my favourite books. I don't mind the style of it at all, yeah the faces are different but it's so charming and this last issue was really great to read. It's so colourful and bold and it stands out, which is massively important for me. Plus it's fun. Reading it you get this real sense of Jen's character and I feel like the art style is a huge part of that. Same with Clint in Hawkeye, Aja's art is incredible and it really sets a tone. I love how Marvel is putting out these books with massively different art styles, definitely finding a lot to enjoy. Same with Image books too. DC has more of a house style across their titles which I don't always enjoy, but Wonder Woman's has been great.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Anyone know if Cable and X-Force is still going or was the Vendetta story pretty much the end of it?

It ended. There's a new series called X-Force, but the old creative team is gone, sadly.

Next week is a good week, though. We'll be blessed with some more work by comics superstar Dennis Hopeless in the form of Avengers Undercover #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom