• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I know I'm not a well-known regular here, I'm more of a lurker, but I wanted to chip in and say that I really like She-Hulk, it's become one of my favourite books. I don't mind the style of it at all, yeah the faces are different but it's so charming and this last issue was really great to read. It's so colourful and bold and it stands out, which is massively important for me. Plus it's fun. Reading it you get this real sense of Jen's character and I feel like the art style is a huge part of that. Same with Clint in Hawkeye, Aja's art is incredible and it really sets a tone. I love how Marvel is putting out these books with massively different art styles, definitely finding a lot to enjoy. Same with Image books too. DC has more of a house style across their titles which I don't always enjoy, but Wonder Woman's has been great.

I like Javier Pulido too, but ComicsGAF shitting all over an artist with a unique style is nothing new unfortunately!

kmfdmpig

Haha, gotcha, since no one else on GAF replied, I'll assume you're the majority who said they are good. My mind was already set on Spiderman, just wasn't sure about the rest.
Having trouble trying to find the Captain America one though.

Captain America wasn't finished, I don't think. Hulk is fairly good. I liked the Daredevil one quite a bit. Spiderman was good.

Unai

Without digging around through the Internet- pretty sure Kyle had a way to create rings with his own. I remember he created one for Jade, and I think he created one for John Stewart. I'll wait for Comic GAF to correct me if I'm wrong..,

Edit: Fail at Lantern trivia. Kyle had a spare ring and battery, gave it to Jade, then she passed it on to Stewart.

That makes sense, thanks!

Messi

DC book of the Week is Detective Comics.
Marvel book of the Week is Cyclops.
Indie book of the Week is Nailbiter.

Rat Queens doe...

Black Widow was really, really good this month. That Phil Noto art! You believe there was a forum member that wanted someone else on art? Sheesh. Love the cameo which you knew was gonna happen.

I know! I think it was Messi.

tumblr_inline_mlq5jcTVBp1qz4rgp.gif

I see how it is Korupt... I see.

Umm.....so why was there no Rat Queens in the July solicits?

Don't cancel one of my favorite books Image :(

That makes sense, thanks!

It's actually wrong that the corps was resurrected with rebirth/recharge.
The corps was already rebuilding at this time.

The timeline was something like this:
1) Kyle is the last GL and has only access to his ring and battery and no CPB, as OA is destroyed.
2) A time displaced Hal Jordan gives Kyle an old GL ring with the power to duplicate itself.
3) With the help of Tom OA is rebuilt in "The last will and testament of Hal Jordan".
4) Reclaiming the energy that Hal claimed as Parallax possesed him Kyle recharges the CPB on the rebuilt OA and resurrects the Guardians as Children.
5) Kyle and Ganthet decide to rebuild the GLC step by step. Kilowog and John get their rings back via the means of the self duplicating ring.
6) John protects Earth, Kyle is traveling the universe, Kilowog and Ganthet are running OA.
7) Rebirth starts.

Lots of characters are getting their own comics or are part of teams or are the villians in a comic but where the hell is Doom? Hell even doombot is in Avengers A.I. I know he made a small cameo last year in New Avengers but fuck man, I need some Doom.

So I went back and read Deadly Class #4.

I still don't like the main character. But the book itself remains alright. I may give it a few more issues.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So I went back and read Deadly Class #4.

I still don't like the main character. But the book itself remains alright. I may give it a few more issues.

I had and continue to have the same feelings as you about the main character, but disliking Marcus doesn't stop me from really enjoying the story and book. I think this last issue was by far the best, and the crew is finally coming together, providing the likeable characters to balance out how unlikeable Marcus is.

Then again, tell me you didn't love
"I'm the fucking acid king" followed by cowering under the car

Lombaszko

Comixology was not letting me download anything last night. So frustrating, I thought I saw someone on here complaining last week about service problems on the East Coast (Boston Area here). Anyone else have that problem?

Glad I at least got a few floppies from my local shop!

RS4-

Just finished Original Sin #1, beautiful art and interesting story.

Feel the same way about the current Magneto and Punisher ones as well.

Was this the issue with the
Atom
? If so, spoil me.

Haha. It really was a goofy fun issue. OK, basic premise of Batman/Superman #10...
Superman shows up to S.H.A.D.E.S. Ant Farm, which is observing the events of Green Arrow in Prague (cute, Lemire), asking for Ray Palmers help. Seems that something happened to Batman while they were assisting the Chinese Space Station in space (he is in a coma). Superman's microscopic vision saw a tiny body inside of Batman's brain. With Ray's help, they determine that there is a tiny City lodged inside of Batman's brain. So they shrink down (Superman makes a comment about Ray's suit looking like a costume), go inside and find that some evil bad guys have taken over the City (which is actually a City-ship). They proceed to fight them, one takes the belt that Superman used to shrink and is ejected to normal size outside of Batman. Batman wakes up, fights the guy, then Ray and Superman come out as well. There are ALOT of fun jokes (Ray has a thing for acronyms). Ray says that maybe he said he had been thinking of a code name, suggesting the name, "The Atom". Batman and Superman make a comment to each other about what the LAST person called the Atom did.

In the end they say they are going to keep an eye on S.H.A.D.E., but we see that S.H.A.D.E. (specifically Father Time) is keeping an eye on them.

IGNs review actually has a great quote about it; "It's a little like a Magic School Bus episode with a heavy dose of the 1980s Sword of the Atom comic thrown in."

tim1138

I'm about 80 pages into the Incal, and holy crap this book is insane. I absolutely love it. So one of the characters is a a MetaBaron, how tied together are the stories? Am I missing anything if I haven't read MetaBarons yet?

Unai

It's actually wrong that the corps was resurrected with rebirth/recharge.
The corps was already rebuilding at this time.

The timeline was something like this:
1) Kyle is the last GL and has only access to his ring and battery and no CPB, as OA is destroyed.
2) A time displaced Hal Jordan gives Kyle an old GL ring with the power to duplicate itself.
3) With the help of Tom OA is rebuilt in "The last will and testament of Hal Jordan".
4) Reclaiming the energy that Hal claimed as Parallax possesed him Kyle recharges the CPB on the rebuilt OA and resurrects the Guardians as Children.
5) Kyle and Ganthet decide to rebuild the GLC step by step. Kilowog and John get their rings back via the means of the self duplicating ring.
6) John protects Earth, Kyle is traveling the universe, Kilowog and Ganthet are running OA.
7) Rebirth starts.

This was incredibly helpful!

tim1138

Haha. It really was a goofy fun issue. OK, basic premise of Batman/Superman #10...
Superman shows up to S.H.A.D.E.S. Ant Farm, which is observing the events of Green Arrow in Prague (cute, Lemire), asking for Ray Palmers help. Seems that something happened to Batman while they were assisting the Chinese Space Station in space (he is in a coma). Superman's microscopic vision saw a tiny body inside of Batman's brain. With Ray's help, they determine that there is a tiny City lodged inside of Batman's brain. So they shrink down (Superman makes a comment about Ray's suit looking like a costume), go inside and find that some evil bad guys have taken over the City (which is actually a City-ship). They proceed to fight them, one takes the belt that Superman used to shrink and is ejected to normal size outside of Batman. Batman wakes up, fights the guy, then Ray and Superman come out as well. There are ALOT of fun jokes (Ray has a thing for acronyms). Ray says that maybe he said he had been thinking of a code name, suggesting the name, "The Atom". Batman and Superman make a comment to each other about what the LAST person called the Atom did.

In the end they say they are going to keep an eye on S.H.A.D.E., but we see that S.H.A.D.E. (specifically Father Time) is keeping an eye on them.

IGNs review actually has a great quote about it; "It's a little like a Magic School Bus episode with a heavy dose of the 1980s Sword of the Atom comic thrown in."

That sounds great, I might pick it up.

arkon

I'm about 80 pages into the Incal, and holy crap this book is insane. I absolutely love it. So one of the characters is a a MetaBaron, how tied together are the stories? Am I missing anything if I haven't read MetaBarons yet?

Haven't read Metabarons myself so can't really say but it was published some time after Incal so I imagine it'd be fine.

anaron

If Pullido just fixed Jen's eyes the art would be perfect.

The art is still sublime and She-Hulk is an awesome series

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Deadpool's explicitly referred to secrets he's got buried away from himself within his mind in the series, so I'm sure that'll play into things.

Messi

Does Deadpool even care?

Um, did you read The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly???

This...

There's the Deadpool Original Sin 5-issue tie-in:

Starting in Deadpool #29.

I would say yes to both questions.

Yes! Can't wait.

--

I just calculated based on this week's books and traveling expenses if I went all digital I'd save about €880 euro per year. Do I really enjoy paper comics all that much?

I just calculated based on this week's books and traveling expenses if I went all digital I'd save about €880 euro per year. Do I really enjoy paper comics all that much?

You really should ask if you store does discounts for pull lists. Most do. Mine, for example, gives me 25% off cover price of everything based on the number of titles I pull.

Ive never seen someone with their head stuck so far up their own ass. Please tell me kane wrote that himself.

Bill Finger probably wrote it for him.

I knew a bit about Finger from Kevin Smith's fat man on batman podcast, but I didn't know Bob Kane was such an arrogant piece of shit. It really bums me out. It'd be great if Finger would get the credit he deserves from DC.

squadr0n

Alright Gaf, ive got a question about Original Sin #1 so spoilers if you havent read it already!!!

When
Black Panther
is recruited to find out who killed the Watcher
and is given info that Cap's team doesnt have
, was he being recruited to work
against Cap and who isnt on Caps team?
We see various pairs of heroes going to different places to track down leads about the killer,
are these people all working for whoever recruited Black Panther?
This is very confusing as it isnt explained very well in the issue.

Alright Gaf, ive got a question about Original Sin #1 so spoilers if you havent read it already!!!

When
Black Panther
is recruited to find out who killed the Watcher
and is given info that Cap's team doesnt have
, was he being recruited to work
against Cap and who isnt on Caps team?
We see various pairs of heroes going to different places to track down leads about the killer,
are these people all working for whoever recruited Black Panther?
This is very confusing as it isnt explained very well in the issue.

we just
don't
know

yet

Without digging around through the Internet- pretty sure Kyle had a way to create rings with his own. I remember he created one for Jade, and I think he created one for John Stewart. I'll wait for Comic GAF to correct me if I'm wrong..,

Edit: Fail at Lantern trivia. Kyle had a spare ring and battery, gave it to Jade, then she passed it on to Stewart.

Actually, following Emerald Knights, Kyle had a ring from a time-lost Hal Jordan that could create other rings. Jade's ring was a copy of that, as were the things of the GLs in the New Corps mini. Then John Stewart finally ended up with that original ring.

So, maybe Stewart can still deputize other beings, but it's more likely that the idea was just dropped when Johns did Rebirth.

Jetman

Captain America wasn't finished, I don't think. Hulk is fairly good. I liked the Daredevil one quite a bit. Spiderman was good.

Yeah, wow, wondered why I couldn't find that Cap book. Surprised they just scrapped it after a #0 issue. Thanks for the input. Saw that a HC Trade collecting all 3 Marvel books is due out in August so I may wait on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom