• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man. I'm five or so issues into Colossal Conan right now. It's really, really, really good. Even if you don't want to invest the $80-something and buy the massive hardcover (which is an excellent product and actually a pretty great value), I'd highly recommend at least checking out the first trade (titled Conan: Frost Giants Daughter & Stories). You can even get it used on Amazon for $5 shipped.
It's incredibly entertaining, suspenseful, has great world-building, is very well-written, and has gorgeous art. I haven't been so fully entertained by a comic in a long time. It doesn't have insane depth or an incredibly complex plot like some comics, but instead it just tells a fairly straightforward but fantastic adventure story.

Amazing spidey marathon update

Just read ASM #3

So this is the issue where we meet dock Ock for the first time. A couple observations

- hearing a cocky spidey is funny since it hardly ever shows up. So of course hell get best down this ish
- they moved from 2 stories for a book to one per which was an improvement
- all of the sudden JJ is now the publisher of the daily bugle instead of Now magazine with no explanation
- peter gets slapped around and suddenly mopes and plans on retiring. Haha That didn't take much
- when Dock Ock awakens from the accident he says "with such power and my brilliant mind, I am the superior human being on earth!" Heh
- first appearance of the silly belt spidey light. Man Stan Lee was really pushing this bit hard and it never took off

Next up, the first appearance of The Sandman

I wasn't able to get to my LCS yesterday and I get there today and all of the Image books I wanted were gone. So, I guess it's time to start a pull list.

In 6 weeks I go from not reading comics to starting a 15 book pull list. Still not sure why I chose to go down this rabbit hole but it's been fun so far.

Started Astonishing X-Men tonight. So good, so so good. John Cassaday on this is amazing. Slightly better so far than Planetary. I don't know what happened with Uncanny Avengers. His work there was uninspired.

So did this run release on time? Was there any delays? Seems like with the names involved, it wouldn't hold a monthly schedule.

Owzers

Started Astonishing X-Men tonight. So good, so so good. John Cassaday on this is amazing. Slightly better so far than Planetary. I don't know what happened with Uncanny Avengers. His work there was uninspired.

So did this run release on time? Was there any delays? Seems like with the names involved, it wouldn't hold a monthly schedule.

pretty sure it had huge delays towards the end at least.

frye

Yeah, it had delays. It was also the flagship book theoretically which made things weird when big things would happen and it would take a while for the other books to catch up.

Busaiku

So I checked out the 3 issues of the latest Moon Knight.
Are the older series similar to this? I definitely like this episodic storytelling.

So I checked out the 3 issues of the latest Moon Knight.
Are the older series similar to this? I definitely like this episodic storytelling.

The older moon knight series are more conventional in that they have plots. The episodic thing is interesting and marvel books tend not to do it as much, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that the series won't end after 8 issues or whenever Ellis feels like stopping.

I bought a Jimmy Olsen comic on FCBD thinking it was the Nick Spencer one that everyone loves but it turns out it's a different one by James Robinson. That'll teach me for assuming things, but how the fuck did i buy the wrong Jimmy Olsen one-shot

how many even exist

Kreunt

Banned
Never really read much comics before, but I just got Marvel Unlimited.
Looking for recommendations on where to start because its a bit overwhelming. Would be nice to get more background on characters in the MCU.

Never really read much comics before, but I just got Marvel Unlimited.
Looking for recommendations on where to start because its a bit overwhelming. Would be nice to get more background on characters in the MCU.

I'd recommend reading "Big Time" (Starting at #648) through to "Dying Wish" (Ending at #700) for Amazing Spider-Man, for a start. That's how you get to Superior Spider-Man, and it's pretty much consistently excellent.

"Astonishing X-Men" is brilliant, but I think it may require a tiny bit of foreknowledge? I can't really remember, I'm afraid.

Edit: And I just realised neither of those are MCU. Sorry!

Ed Brubaker's Captain America run has been highly recommended, but I don't know the issue numbers/trades. No doubt someone will!

Thor: God of Thunder has been highly rated, too.

Detective Comics is so fucking good. I'd buy it for the art alone now that they're working on a character I care somewhat about (Flash too OP) but there's a pretty good detective story going on in here too. but seriouslyyyyyy, the art

speaking of good art SCARLET SPIDER sale is going on today, buy that shit. Stegman kills it for like the first 6 issues and then Khoi Pham ruins my life. the Reilly Brown issues are very good looking as well.

Kreunt

Banned
I'd recommend reading "Big Time" (Starting at #648) through to "Dying Wish" (Ending at #700) for Amazing Spider-Man, for a start. That's how you get to Superior Spider-Man, and it's pretty much consistently excellent.

"Astonishing X-Men" is brilliant, but I think it may require a tiny bit of foreknowledge? I can't really remember, I'm afraid.

Edit: And I just realised neither of those are MCU. Sorry!

Ed Brubaker's Captain America run has been highly recommended, but I don't know the issue numbers/trades. No doubt someone will!

Thor: God of Thunder has been highly rated, too.

Definitely interested in non-MCU stuff, just figured it would be a good starting point is all. thanks!.

Mafro

The older moon knight series are more conventional in that they have plots. The episodic thing is interesting and marvel books tend not to do it as much, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that the series won't end after 8 issues or whenever Ellis feels like stopping.
Would be surprised if it lasts more than 12 issues given how negative Ellis has been in the past about doing long runs on company-owned characters. It's a shame as I'd love to see him do a long run on Avengers.

http://imgur.com/a/aS9q1#0
Got this Batman / Gotham City tattoo done last night. 6 hours in so far but still not done. Still need to finish the Moon, the buildings, The yellows, Some shading still.. And the best part,, all the white highlights and finishing touches throughout the whole tattoo. Probably another 2 hours left.
(First time posting my own pics,, think I figured it out?)

Whats my Gaf family think?

Got this Batman / Gotham City tattoo done last night. 6 hours in so far but still not done. Still need to finish the Moon, the buildings, The yellows, Some shading still.. And the best part,, all the white highlights and finishing touches throughout the whole tattoo. Probably another 2 hours left.

Looks pretty schway.

If i was ever drunk enough to get a tattoo I would either get a "Faith, trust and pixie dust" tramp stamp or this above my pelvis "the pen is mightier than the sword"

Dope, nigh-Bianchi style, which is pretty much perfect for tatville.

Mumei

Man. I'm five or so issues into Colossal Conan right now. It's really, really, really good. Even if you don't want to invest the $80-something and buy the massive hardcover (which is an excellent product and actually a pretty great value), I'd highly recommend at least checking out the first trade (titled Conan: Frost Giants Daughter & Stories). You can even get it used on Amazon for $5 shipped.
It's incredibly entertaining, suspenseful, has great world-building, is very well-written, and has gorgeous art. I haven't been so fully entertained by a comic in a long time. It doesn't have insane depth or an incredibly complex plot like some comics, but instead it just tells a fairly straightforward but fantastic adventure story.

The Colossal Conan has to be the most aptly named collection:

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

And yes, the art does look amazing:

I don't even own it yet, but it's pretty high on my list of things to get!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

That's dope, man. Reminds me of this a bit:

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Tom Defalco is in charge of an event that will encompass two months while they move to Brubank. Da fuck? All comics? Can't just tell these brahs to right faster. Tom DeFalco, Dan Jurjens, Keith Giffen, the trifecta of bland writers in DC's rotation. Da fuck is wrong with you?

tom brevoort is one of the most dull humans to ever exist

lol ok

"Is Matt Fraction ever going to address Spider-Woman's abuse of Hawkeye in 9 or should I just add him to the list of writers whose work I should avoid because they gloss over abuse?"
- Anonymous

I went back just now and looked up that scene again. I can tell that this is something that is important to you, but I have to tell you, reading that book again, I don’t think that Jessica slapping Clint twice in that context constitutes an abuse that requires any additional addressing.

You may feel differently about this, of course, and should do whatever you need to do to come to peace with it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, I feel conflicted to just read the Morrison's run or checking all other stuff that affected with this aftermath, its really made me curious.

The aftermath is terrible and makes Morrison's tight and inventive run really drag in the middle. It was filler, hastily put together to cash in and give some time to get B&R up and running. Skip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom