• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

o6AxTAg.jpg

Picked up these today, Milligan and Allreds full run on X-Force. Pretty stoked to read them then get Milligan to sign #116 at Glasgow Comic Con. The shop cheaped out on bags and boards so the issues are double bagged for now hence the missing issues.

Who, Harras and DeFalco?
Bleeding Cool has been reporting rumors about what DC plans to do in 2015 when they close up shop in NY and make the big move to CA, an undertaking expected to last at least two months. Their latest is that Tom DeFalco will be put in charge of a two-month, 2015 event that will serve as a "placeholder" while DC moves its operations to California; an event similar in scope to the "70s/80s/90s" comics they published right before The New52 launched. Before that, they were reporting rumors that DC was actually going to cease operations for two months entirely while they completed the move, but that plan was scrapped because it didn't go over well with anyone on the retailer, creative or financial side.

ElNarez

Banned
Caught up on Avengers Undercover. That thing that happened at the end of #3 sure did happen, didn't it?

HAZMAAAAAAT! Jen, what are you doing? STAHP!

Busaiku

The older moon knight series are more conventional in that they have plots. The episodic thing is interesting and marvel books tend not to do it as much, but it doesn't fill me with confidence that the series won't end after 8 issues or whenever Ellis feels like stopping.
That's a real shame, it's been a lot of fun.

That's a real shame, it's been a lot of fun.

Well, enjoy it while it lasts, I guess. That being said, I would definitely recommend poking around in some of the older Moon Knight stuff if you like the character. He's an interesting stand-alone character for the most part (think the Punisher except that he doesn't get wrangled into other marvel series as frequently).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Pretty good. Art takes a hit whenever Khoi Pham drew it but it was still a very enjoyable book

'Takes a hit' is an understatement. Khoi Pham must be a comic book hitman because he kills books like it's his job.

'Takes a hit' is an understatement. Khoi Pham must be a comic book hitman because he kills books like it's his job.
Had to restrain myself while i'm selling Scarlet Spider! But yeah, sheesh. Good thing he only drew a filler .1 issue of Daredevil that didn't serve much purpose anyway.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Had to restrain myself while i'm selling Scarlet Spider! But yeah, sheesh. Good thing he only drew a filler .1 issue of Daredevil that didn't serve much purpose anyway.

He botched that hit, man.

Ok, went and looked it up because "bored".
Superman/Wonderwoman #2: He's obviously seen DD before but it's alluded that he's only seen him by looking through a Phantom Zone portal at the Fortress. Supes: " This device is a window to a place my people called the Phantom Zone. It's like a supermax prison with a garbage dump. The worst criminals-the things they couldn't control- the things too dangerous to allow to live among us- they all ended up here" he points out a pic of Doomsday to her. "Is that what attacked you?" WW: "Yes" Supes: "It's called Doomsday" WW: I've never seen you like this. You've told me its name but not what it is." Supes: "Doomsday is death."

You'd think if there was an earth shattering battle like Death that took place, everyone would know what Doomsday was.

Out of curiosity, if anyone picked up the Doomsday Villian week book, who narrated it? Clark or Jor-El?

I think it's been hinted at in other comics besides Superman/Wonderwoman, like was mentioned Action Comics has hinted at him being killed by Doomsday already. Plus how would just watching something in the Phantom Zone tell him that "Doomsday is death". That sounds more like a line of some one whose dealt with him already.

Ann Nocenti would probably do a better even than DC usually shits out, so why not. I mean, Marvel has been letting Kyle & Yost do all kinds of dumbass shit for years!

Filthy Slug

...now im unsure. How many issues is he in?

He's on like 9 of the the issues in the series. I don't think it should stop you from getting the books, but after reading the first few Stegman issues, just know that the art is never that good again. Story is still fun as fuck, but the downgrade from Stegman to Pham is just staggering.

Picked up these today, Milligan and Allreds full run on X-Force. Pretty stoked to read them then get Milligan to sign #116 at Glasgow Comic Con. The shop cheaped out on bags and boards so the issues are double bagged for now hence the missing issues.
Allreds art and his wife's colors are so schway.

speaking of good art SCARLET SPIDER sale is going on today, buy that shit. Stegman kills it for like the first 6 issues and then Khoi Pham ruins my life. the Reilly Brown issues are very good looking as well.

How good is this? The run is only 25 issues right? I might just buy it all.

yo, have fun. this is top 3 comic runs of all time. ALL TIME

Vibranium

Banned
tom brevoort is one of the most dull humans to ever exist

What about Axel Alonso? The man seems incapable of speaking like a real person without PR, the closest he has ever got to really talking about the comics industry is in the (fantastic) book Marvel Comic: The Untold Story, where he said comics tie-ins are unfortunate but necessary to sell.

Marvel needs an EiC who is younger, capable of interacting with fans in a fun, professional way and tries more new things. They need to groom someone for the job who isn't in the higher levels, same with DC. The old guard is going to die out someday, thankfully.

How good is this? The run is only 25 issues right? I might just buy it all.
pretty solid. Like i said, Pham does some issues and he's no Stegman but it was pretty fun stuff. It's about 26 issues but there's also the Minimum Carnage crossover, which wasn't really good. Could probably skip that without missing much.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh man, that's easily one of my favourite runs on anything ever.

Mumei

Man, that looks tempting. Is that an omnibus of the recent Dark Horse series, or an older one?

From one of the Amazon reviews:

"Just take a peek at those writers: Kurt Busiek. Timothy Truman. Mike Mignola. And then the artists and colorists: Cary Nord. Tomás Giorello. Thomas Yeates. Greg Ruth. Eric Powell. Rafael Kayanan. Paul Lee. Leinil Francis Yu. Joseph Linsner. Ladrönn. Tony Harris. Paul Lee. Dave Stewart. Richard Isanove. JD Mettler. Tony Shasteen. José Villarrubia."

And it's the 2004 series that started with Kurt Busiek, yes.

What about Axel Alonso? The man seems incapable of speaking like a real person without PR, the closest he has ever got to really talking about the comics industry is in the (fantastic) book Marvel Comic: The Untold Story, where he said comics tie-ins are unfortunate but necessary to sell.

Marvel needs an EiC who is younger, capable of interacting with fans in a fun, professional way and tries more new things. They need to groom someone for the job who isn't in the higher levels, same with DC. The old guard is going to die out someday, thankfully.
Axel Alonso is a piece of shit.

The Woods was alright.

Vibranium

Banned
The Punisher was great again this week guys. I love his new mask, I know some people may complain it's too much like Crossbones and tons of people know Castle's identity, but he doesn't wear it all the time. Wish he had it on in Original Sin.

Axel Alonso is a piece of shit.

Truth, brother. "Oh look at how great he is, former Vertigo editor in chief!!!!!"

The Punisher was great again this week guys. I love his new mask, I know some people may complain it's too much like Crossbones and tons of people know Castle's identity, but he doesn't wear it all the time. Wish he had it on in Original Sin.

Truth, brother. "Oh look at how great he is, former Vertigo editor in chief!!!!!"
I will break his back, make him humble on my way to comics superstardom. Nobody stands in my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom