• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's like 15 months of collecting. It's addicting.

I know that feel. I started importing PVC figures (mostly anime and game characters) from Japan about a year ago, and I've got at least 60 of those fuckers at this point. And they're generally not cheap. Granted, I got into it for a bit several years prior, so I already had about a dozen or so, but shit.

Guys, Punisher is pretty fucking boring. It feels slow and plodding despite the fact that every issue has Frank vs an army of Mexican dudes and Electro. It's the exact opposite of Rucka's run, which was the definition of a slow-burn, and yet I can't stop thinking about how perfect and exciting Rucka's run was.

Probably gonna drop Punisher and make room for an interesting book.

You'd probably like Cornell's Wolverine instead.

I hear it's doing interesting things these days!

Guys, Punisher is pretty fucking boring. It feels slow and plodding despite the fact that every issue has Frank vs an army of Mexican dudes and Electro. It's the exact opposite of Rucka's run, which was the definition of a slow-burn, and yet I can't stop thinking about how perfect and exciting Rucka's run was.

I'm the opposite. I am loving this run.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dude, I dropped that shit after issue one. You're lttp on this one.
I actually enjoyed the first two issues. There was some great forward momentum and the new additions to the cast worked.
You'd probably like Cornell's Wolverine instead.

I hear it's doing interesting things these days!
When Cornell was at DC, I loved pretty much everything he worked. Shame about his Marvel runs being complete shite.
I'm the opposite. I am loving this run.
Did you like Rucka's run? I don't think all runs need to adopt the same tone but the hawkeyification of Frank is a bit of a mistranslation, I feel.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Awesome. I may have to grab that, then. I've wanted to read that series for a while, but picking up 14+ tpb volumes seemed daunting as fuck.

Doooo iiiit. It's an excellent comic (well, so far. I've only read 6 issues or so, which is just past 10% done. I have no doubt the quality will continue though. Haha) in a fantastic package. I can't imagine any way someone would be disappointed with it.

Onemic

Is Wolverine vol. 2 worth reading? Comixology has a few issues up, pretty much starting from Operation Zero Tolerance and a little bit after that.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Okay. Now I'm really, really, really not gonna buy any more comics until Big Damn Sin City comes out. Just bought Nextwave, the first two Waid Daredevil OHCs, the three New X-Men Ultimate Collections, and the two Astonishing X-Men Ultimate Collections from that guy who posted a few pages back (haven't read any of those, so I'm quite excited). And also found The Black Glove Deluxe Edition for a pretty good deal on Amazon, so I ordered that to complete my Morrison Batman run in hardcover from the beginning to Final Crisis (then once Absolute Batman Inc. comes out I'll get that and Absolute B&R to complete the run).
I will not buy more. I will stay strong.

I actually enjoyed the first two issues. There was some great forward momentum and the new additions to the cast worked.

When Cornell was at DC, I loved pretty much everything he worked. Shame about his Marvel runs being complete shite.

Did you like Rucka's run? I don't think all runs need to adopt the same tone but the hawkeyification of Frank is a bit of a mistranslation, I feel.

I absolutely loved Rucka's run as well. Shit, I enjoyed Frankencastle a lot.

I like it when writers take chances and try new things. I love Edmondson's more laid-back Frank just as I loved Rucka's silent force of nature. Sure, Frank might have been "hawkeyefied", but it's done so well here. It's not a dark depressing comedy like Hawkeye, but an action thriller. It's the Punisher being filtered through a different lens.

Honestly, while I loved Ennis' run, I don't want anyone to imitate it. I don't need a grimdark horrific journey Punisher all the time. I like this version. I don't need a pale imitation of Ennis. Rucka's run is as different from Ennis' as Edmondson's is from Rucka, and I dig it.

Parch

What is the general consensus on Marvel's Ultimate line these days? Should I check out some new titles or just stick with the 616?
I'm curious too, but I think there's only 3 titles that just started. I saw that the All-New Ultimates have Cloak and Dagger so I was wondering how that was.

With it being so new it would be a good time to jump on that universe, but I'd be hoping for something better. Didn't hear much good about Cataclysm.

I'm curious too, but I think there's only 3 titles that just started. I saw that the All-New Ultimates have Cloak and Dagger so I was wondering how that was.

With it being so new it would be a good time to jump on that universe, but I'd be hoping for something better. Didn't hear much good about Cataclysm.
ANU is not great. I'll give it another issue, but the art was not consistent whatsoever

The first issue was bum.

Just got to Batman #20 for the new 52 without reading the other comics, like Detective Comics, or whatever. I'm assuming I missed some CRAZY SHIT, and it upsets me. :/

Also, Adventure Time: Pixel Princess is not super great. The story is really EH until the end, but the art is pretty great. I really liked the style the princesses were drawn with.

Swung by the comic shop again tonight and grabbed Cyclops #1 and Future's End #1. The latter mostly because there's a $5 minimum for credit/debit purchases. But I got dat Hepzibah fever that's going around, guys.

Vyer

all digital people isn't that a bitch now with Comixology making you jump through hopes? Don't you have to manually sync over every book through usb now or something. Sounds like a bitch.

They took out the store on the iOS app and the ability to purchase with Google payments on the Android app (and the Android app was just the phone app anyway).

There is no manual sync. It's still shitty though, as the app was near perfect and a great way to browse, buy your regular titles and impulse buy all in one. Unfortunately not anymore. For anyone who actually bought through the app like me it ruined it.

Cheska

Damn, you know that feeling when you finish reading a really good series and you're bummed you won't get more?

That's how I feel right now about Blacksad. I absolutely loved what I read of it, and I have no doubt that it's quickly become one of my favorites.

Vibranium

Banned

Huh. Well I can respect that, I know that me and NTGYK both loved Rucka's run and are really digging Edmondson's take though. As to the complaints about Frank being Hawkguy, I can sort of see that too but honestly I think it's just a matter of making him talk a little more, with a military buddy who supports what he does. It's something different, just like Frankencastle was, and it'll divide fans but I like new ideas coming into the book franchise.

Maybe in the second arc the plot will be a little faster, I'll let you know if things might be more up your alley. Cole-Alves is going to come back, I'd maybe jump back in when she makes an appearance.

Just read 10 issues of Astonishing X-Men tonight to take me to the 2nd volume that includes 13-24 +annual. That was a pretty fun story so far with the whole Danger room drama. That Emma Frost.

Toa TAK

Banned
Finished reading BIG TIME for Amazing Spider-Man.

It was aight. I've just never really been into the criminal underworld stuff of Fisk and the Hobgoblin/Black Cat. The only time I've thoroughly enjoyed was in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Pete's suit was cool, and seeing how he got his nice setup at Horizon was cool, if only to see how he's going to lose it all in Superior.

I DO want to check out Spider-Island if it's as good as everyone's saying.

Chinner

Banned
ive read through punisher 1-4 and i'm enjoyed it so far.. the action is well directed, the art is great and it's well written. it's a little bit slow but seems like it's building up to something.

Detective Comics #31: I'm absolutely loving this new creative team. The art, the mystery, it's just wonderful.

Green Lantern #31:
Durlans
with rings?! It's funny, I'm almost rooting for both sides in this conflict. I can understand them both so it makes for an entertaining read.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

If you're interested in Cloak and Dagger then read the last two volumes of Ultimate Spider-Man. It introduced them and then there was a story that is pretty much the germ of All New Ultimates only good.

I notice that it's common for ultimate books to lose readers at the events. While the events are pretty average all round, Spidey stayed strong throughtout the entire run - read the whole thing, don't skip anything. Hickman's Ultimates run was also very strong.

Detective Comics #31: I'm absolutely loving this new creative team. The art, the mystery, it's just wonderful.

Green Lantern #31:
Durlans
with rings?! It's funny, I'm almost rooting for both sides in this conflict. I can understand them both so it makes for an entertaining read.

Did you notice how they talked about events happening in Eternal? Finally the books are starting to run along the same continuity.

Comixology is running a Bendis icon (non powers) sale. I highly highly recommend picking up Torso. It's the best thing I think Bendis has done.

But has anyone read Takio? For some reason this is the first I've heard of this mini. It looks promising

Comixology is running a Bendis icon (non powers) sale. I highly highly recommend picking up Torso. It's the best thing I think Bendis has done.

But has anyone read Takio? For some reason this is the first I've heard of this mini. It looks promising
Not interesting, its one of the nepotism projects for his kids, like Fraction is doing and akelly Sue is doing b letting her four year olds plot Pretty Deadly.

Did you notice how they talked about events happening in Eternal? Finally the books are starting to run along the same continuity.

Yes. And I'm a big fan of asshole Bullock. The way he notices Bruces' lack of sleep and attributes it to
possible drug use
was just great.

Not sure how to feel about the current Punisher book. It's just kind of there...

Now if it was Lady Punisher you'd be totally on board. ;)

Hagi

Reading some more Ultimate Comics Spider-man and it's pretty boring, a lot of retreading old ground from Peters era and Miles is just meh. They had a perfect chance to do something interesting post Peter but Bendis gonna Bendis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom