• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Lady Punisher is actually a thing? What does she look like?

rachelref.png

If you search Lady Punisher in Google, you will learn that women like cosplaying the Punisher...

samueeL

Banned
Can anyone recommend me some (good) Spider-Man volumes with Mysterio as the main villain? Used to read Spider-Man more as a kid but lately nothing but DC and SW comics, so thinking of visiting Spidy again. Always thought Mysterio was most interesting villain but that was like 10 years ago so I might be very wrong with my opinion here, haha...

Can anyone recommend me some (good) Spider-Man volumes with Mysterio as the main villain? Used to read Spider-Man more as a kid but lately nothing but DC and SW comics, so thinking of visiting Spidy again. Always thought Mysterio was most interesting villain but that was like 10 years ago so I might be very wrong with my opinion here, haha...

Spider-Men. 616 Peter and Miles working in the Ultimate universe.

Spider-men2.jpg

Chinner

Banned
someone mentioned trees by warren ellis. seems like its going to be out by the end of this month, what are the feelings on it?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Has anyone read the Manifest Destiny comics? I have all 6 right now, and I finished issue 2. I think it's really good so far.

kswiston

I'm confused

The blonde is from the Marvel Max Punisher series by Garth Ennis which is not in continuity/the regular Marvel U. Marvel Max was supposed to be an Adult comic line, but the regular books are so violent now that the real difference is nudity/sexual content and cursing.

The redhead is from Greg Rucka's run on Punisher, set in the regular Marvel U.

Hagi

Man I'm reading volume 1 of Nova and I forgot how bloody stupid all the Civil War stuff was. The Initiative, registration, Penance lol, Tony being a dick x 100 and all the other myriad of shit that surrounded that event. Worst event I've ever read.

kswiston

Man I'm reading volume 1 of Nova and I forgot how bloody stupid all the Civil War stuff was. The Initiative, registration, Penance lol, Tony being a dick x 100 and all the other myriad of shit that surrounded that event.

Unfortunately, that is most events...

I'm always happy when we have an event skip year

When was the last one at Marvel?

Disassembled
House of M
Civil War
World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Siege
Fear Itself
AvX
Infinity
Original Sin

That's a 10-year unbroken run. My mind is fuzzy about pre-Disassembled crossovers though.

Disassembled
House of M
Civil War
World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Siege
Fear Itself
AvX
Infinity
Original Sin

That's a 10-year unbroken run. My mind is fuzzy about pre-Disassembled crossovers though.
Damn. 10 years. Shit sneaks up on you.

kswiston

Disassembled
House of M
Civil War
World War Hulk
Secret Invasion
Dark Reign
Siege
Fear Itself
AvX
Infinity
Original Sin

Dark Reign wasn't too bad because there wasn't an actual event book. You had some oneshots, and the Dark Avengers characters took over a few books, but it didn't tie up the pace of half the line.

There was a year long break between Seige and Fear Itself. Infinity was also pretty contained as far as events go. didn't they make most of the tie-in issues .1s outside of the Avengers books?

Hagi

Unfortunately, that is most events...

Hmmm I dunno I've enjoyed the other Marvel events I've read. Siege, Annihilation, Dark Reign, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion and House of M were all good. I never touched Age of Ultron, Infinity or the one with all the Asgardian weapons.

Civil War has been the only stinker so far for me.

kswiston

Hmmm I dunno I've enjoyed the other Marvel events I've read. Siege, Annihilation, Dark Reign, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion and House of M were all good. I never touched Age of Ultron, Infinity or the one with all the Asgardian weapons.

Age of Ultron would have been the worst event of all of those if it actually mattered.

Infinity is better than any of those events you liked except Annihilation.

Mafro

Marvel did as well.
To be fair that was obviously badly affected by being delayed for a year due to AvX and shoehorned in at a point where barely any of the other writers gave a shit. Still doesn't excuse it from being a bit of a mess, obviously.

PsychBat!

Banned

Siege, Secret Invasion, WWH, House of M and Civil War were all bad imo. With Secret Invasion being the worst until Age of Ultron came along. WWH and House of M are guilty pleasures though. Siege didn't need tie-ins and neither did Secret Invasion. Really unnecessary to be honest.

Best events are Annihilation and Infinity being a close second.

Hagi

Age of Ultron would have been the worst event of all of those if it actually mattered.

Haha guess I haven't missed anything then.

Infinity is better than any of those events you liked except Annihilation.

Hmm I'll get round to it eventually, 5 of 6 are up on Unlimited so I'll wait till next month.

Siege, Secret Invasion, WWH, House of M and Civil War were all bad imo. With Secret Invasion being the worst until Age of Ultron came along. WWH and House of M are guilty pleasures though. Siege didn't need tie-ins and neither did Secret Invasion. Really unnecessary to be honest.

Different strokes I guess, I loved Secret Invasion and its tie ins didn't really bother me. I enjoyed what they did with Carol at the time.

Secret Invasion turning out to be trash still stings. The premise was so good. It was going to be Battlestar Galactica! But with superheroes!

Has anyone read the Manifest Destiny comics? I have all 6 right now, and I finished issue 2. I think it's really good so far.

Yep it's very good. 1-6 was the first arc. #7 comes in June. I'm looking forward to
the change in setting now that they are back on the water.

Speaking of which, I've decided to drop Undertow. #1 was ok, #2 was meh and I pretended to read through #3 before taking it off my pull list.

How could you forget Cap sitting down?

I was too stunned from the time when he stood up.

Secret Invasion turning out to be trash still stings. The premise was so good. It was going to be Battlestar Galactica! But with superheroes!

That tease at the end of the first issue was something else:

I kinda knew they wouldn't go through with it, but man, I was so hyped after that. What a pity it turned into a punch-fest with weird Skrull adaptoid knockoffs.

Can't these companies use Google properly? Dynamite is advertising JMS as the creator of Batman:Earth One amd Boom says Ian Eddingron writes something called Hinterland.... Come on brah.

kswiston

Marvel events always start so strong then faceplant at about issue 4.

Original Sin will be no exception. Count on it.

I felt like AvX and Infinity broke that pattern. AvX started off with a bunch of boring fights that you had to buy other books to see, had an interesting twist in the middle, and then ended off weak. The second half of Infinity was better than the slow first half. Especially if you were reading the Avengers/New Avengers companion issues.

Parch

Marvel's events rarely get a lot of praise but they sure sell well. They'll keep on happening because of that.

When it's a biggie like Dark Reign or Secret Invasion it's more like an era instead of an event. Titles don't feel like they're getting derailed when it's a lengthy run with that purpose in mind. Doesn't mean they're good, but it doesn't feel necessary to buy the whole event.

It's crappy when a title gets put on hold because they need to do some meaningless tie-in for some silly short event that nobody cares about. Those are the crossovers with the con job intent of getting you to buy more comics that you normally wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom