• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

Fear Itself was so awful, I literally said "What the hell is this?!" aloud when I read the synopsis. Made my coworkers look at me funny.

"Yeah, those other guys had a giant, yellow fear bug. But check this, fuckos. What about a giant fear SNAKE?!" [Coke snorting intensifies]

What!? No it didn't. That was average at best. It only seemed good because it was less horrible than all of the other Fear Itself tie-ins.

Bro, now way. Colossus turning into Juggernaut and it all being a massive ploy by Magik just to be a huge bitch was some great storytelling. Really bad art though. I can't believe Greg Land had such a long run on Uncanny X-Men - including the 500th issue.

kswiston

Best Comic Events from the past 10 years according to me:

1) 52
2) Annihilation
3) The Sinestro Corps War
4) Infinity Crisis
5) Final Crisis (but not until I read it a second time)

Infinity, the Thanos Imperitive, and Blackest Night would probably make my top 10. DC has a better event batting average than Marvel.

Tizoc

Eh the one crossover/major comics event that I can recall enjoying fully from the past 10 years atm is 'Worlds Collide'. Too sleepy to recall any other crossover I liked a lot @_@

1) 52
2) Annihilation
4) Infinity Crisis

Infinity, the Thanos Imperitive, and Blackest Night would probably make my top 10. DC has a better event batting average than Marvel.

52 is one of the best things ever. But, it doesn't really feel like an event. Perhaps it's because I just read it in HC form and not as a weekly.

kswiston

52 is one of the best things ever. But, it doesn't really feel like an event. Perhaps it's because I just read it in HC form and not as a weekly.

It didn't have a bunch of tie-ins while it was running, but DC followed up 52 with a bunch of spin-off series (Batwoman Detective comics, and Booster Gold were the most significant), so I think it counts.

1) 52
2) Annihilation
4) Infinity Crisis

I can agree with most of these, but Final Crisis? Nuh-uh. It wasn't terrible, but I thought that it took a real nose-dive after, say, issue three.

It's your friendly neighborhood list!

ACTION COMICS #31 (DOOMED) $3.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #6 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #1 $3.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #2 $2.99
SUPERMAN DOOMED #1 (N52) $4.99
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #8 COMBO PACK (DOOMED) $4.99
ALL NEW GHOST RIDER #3 ANMN $3.99
CAPTAIN MARVEL #3 $3.99
FANTASTIC FOUR #4 $3.99
SECRET AVENGERS #3 ANMN $3.99
AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE #5 REG FRANCAVILLA CVR $2.99

Mars477

Banned
Now if it was Lady Punisher you'd be totally on board. ;)
Now that Rucka's back doing Cyclops they should give him Rachel and let him do what he initially planned for Frank before his run got cancelled (have him be made to work with a SHIELD wetworks team, traveling the world, breaking things and hurting people until they are exposed).

I'd probably be the only who would read it, but damn, it'd be amazing.

Behold! It is List!

Batman Eternal #6
New 52 Future's End #2
Shutter #2
Walking Dead #127
All-New X-Men #27
Captain Marvel #3
Bee & Puppycat #1
Uber #13

Not too much this week. May pick up Secret Avengers #3 and/or New Avengers #18 as well.

That whole dinner scene was pretty goofy especially Natasha discussing the finer points of Russian bears lol but it fits with the general B-movie vibe Original Sin has going.

I'm looking forward to some impressions for No More Humans. I still need to pick up Family Business as well, heard it was really good.

I thought the turn it took to the best steak Fury ever ate was classic Aaron.

Justice League United #1
Weird Love #1
All New Ghost Rider #3
Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1
Bee & Puppycat #1
Auteur #3
Lumberjanes #2
maybe some Allred variants idk

damn, I don't think i'm gonna end up buying all of those.

Really happy to see Puppycat on some lists in here, I just got a couple preview issues from Natasha (mine are coming next week) and seeing my name on the inside cover is making me feel some powerful things. I really hope you like it!!

Fear Itself was so awful, I literally said "What the hell is this?!" aloud when I read the synopsis. Made my coworkers look at me funny.

I gave into the hype and bought every issue, single issue and even the Fear Itself The Homefront from Forbidden Planet. Didn't really get it. Was expecting it to the next big thing for Marvel (which is was) but never had the same impact as Civil War or Skrull invasion.

Really happy to see Puppycat on some lists in here, I just got a couple preview issues from Natasha (mine are coming next week) and seeing my name on the inside cover is making me feel some powerful things. I really hope you like it!!

Oh damn. Gonna have to join in on that.

If anyone has a chance, check out the Samurai Jack comic series. Amazing it is.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

1) 52
2) Annihilation
4) Infinity Crisis

i can give the others a go, but not this one

Seth C

I've been having trouble finding a result by googling. Can someone explain how Peter returned? Obviously his mind was still in there, but can someone briefly recount the events that have led up to him recapturing his body? Thanks.

Never been much of a DC guy but I have recently watched a ton of Justice League and JLA: Unlimited recently which have been absolutely fantastic so I want to give some JLA comics a shot. Anyone have recommendations? Doing some quick googling looks like Morrison's run is highly regarded, anything else worth picking up?

Thanks

Never been much of a DC guy but I have recently watched a ton of Justice League and JLA: Unlimited recently which have been absolutely fantastic so I want to give some JLA comics a shot. Anyone have recommendations? Doing some quick googling looks like Morrison's run is highly regarded, anything else worth picking up?

Thanks

The Grant Morrison one is good. I'm also a fan of both of the "World War III" books though the second focuses more on Black Adam than the JLA. Also, I'd recommend the Giffen / Demattias / Maguire Justice League International, Tower of Babel, Identity Crisis, Kingdom Come (AU), New Frontier (AU) and shamelessly anything from the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Era. ;)

If you want to get your feet a bit more wet, Johns JSA run is fantastic, as is Lightning Saga, which is JLA/JSA/Legion.

An aside, not exactly what you asked for but if you liked those series I'd recommend Justice League Beyond Unlimited and Justice League Beyond Universe; They continue the Justice League DCAU stories into the Batman Beyond Era.

Hagi

Been reading X-men Legacy on MarvelU and wow it's really good. Totally didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Helps that David is a scot I suppose lol I only really remember David from the cartoon so it's like reading about a brand new character.

phoenixyz

Just read the comics of this week:

Future's End: Seems incredibly meh. Anyone here planning on reading this weekly?

Batman Eternal: Wtf is going on? I'd have prefered if the more grounded approach had survived more than a few issues.

Batman/Superman: That was fun, but it's slightly annoying how gimmicky this series feels sometimes.

Detective Comics: Awesome. Especially the art. Let's see if Zero Year next week can beat this as best Batman story this month. Also, did I understand this correctly, time-wise this is parallel to what happens in Eternal?

Moon Knight: I liked the first two issues more. The villains this time were just not that interesting.

Magneto: They really just want to give you a nice portion of badassery and that works very well. I am excited where this'll go.

The Punisher: Finally stuff heats up.

Just read the comics of this week:

Batman/Superman: That was fun, but it's slightly annoying how gimmicky this series feels sometimes.

Detective Comics: Awesome. Especially the art. Let's see if Zero Year next week can beat this as best Batman story this month. Also, did I understand this correctly, time-wise this is parallel to what happens in Eternal

I'm all in on both of the weeklies.

Yes, Detective is concurrent to Eternal. The Bullock comment about the commissioner is meant to convey that.

I really like the eclectic nature of Batman/Superman. For all the people who complain about the ahmagawd dark and gritty DC, they should be reading these sort of books.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, Busiek's Conan run is SO GOOD. I don't have anything new to say from when I raved about it a few days ago, but every time I read it I'm just so happy with how good it is.
Colossal Conan was a massive blind buy for me, but I'm so so glad I got it.

Also, as a note to any of you who may be reading this and think "Eh. I've never read any Conan before, I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as this guy," I hadn't read any Conan before and knew next to nothing about the character before starting this run, so yeah.

Get on this guys. At least get this first trade used for $5 shipped and try it out. It has the first 8 issues which is one fantastic story arc.

Messi

I just read the Superior Spider-Man issue with Black Cat on the cover. I was not expecting SpOck to straight up punch her in the face. It was kind of brutal.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just read the Superior Spider-Man issue with Black Cat on the cover. I was not expecting SpOck to straight up punch her in the face. It was kind of brutal.

That whole bit was hilarious, made better by the fact that it never gets revisited for the rest of Superior.

Boogiepop

So, random question here: are there any particularly good Static comics out there? I just got to thinking about the series recently. I loved the TV show when I was younger, even if in retrospect it was packed to the brim with "very special episodes." And of course they refuse to put it on DVD (outside of it looks like one single way back when). So are there any decent comic sources I can look to for a decent bit of Static?

arkon

So, random question here: are there any particularly good Static comics out there? I just got to thinking about the series recently. I loved the TV show when I was younger, even if in retrospect it was packed to the brim with "very special episodes." And of course they refuse to put it on DVD (outside of it looks like one single way back when). So are there any decent comic sources I can look to for a decent bit of Static?

There's his Milestone series which has one OOP collection by the looks of it. Probably have to hunt down the issues on ebay or some digital platform?

I don't think it's even available digitally outside of the New 52 stuff (which I heard wasn't good). It's probably a rights thing or something, idk but it's a bummer because I wanna read that stuff

frye

There's his Milestone series which has one OOP collection by the looks of it. Probably have to hunt down the issues on ebay or some digital platform?
I don't think it's even available digitally outside of the New 52 stuff (which I heard wasn't good). It's probably a rights thing or something, idk but it's a bummer because I wanna read that stuff

Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool (that's a fucking great title by the way) is probably your best bet. Reprinted in 2009, first four issues of Static and the four issues of the miniseries. It seems kinda cheap still?

Boogiepop

Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool (that's a fucking great title by the way) is probably your best bet. Reprinted in 2009, first four issues of Static and the four issues of the miniseries. It seems kinda cheap still?

Yeah, it looks like it's down to just that (and the new 52). I'll definitely try to pick that up. Crazy how poorly the character seems to get treated after he seemed to get some definite attention through the TV series.

10299702_242045932654079_1995723270_n.jpg

Aaaaahhhhhhh they came out so nice @____@

Messi

It feels like years have passed since Harley Quinn had an issue liiiist :

Batgirl #31
Batman Eternal #6
FBP #10
Superman Wonder Woman #8
Shutter #2
Ghost Rider #3
All-New Ultimates #2
All-New X-Men #27