• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, are there any good Wonder Woman stories out there now? My gf is particularly interested in getting a good one and with her birthday coming up I was thinking I might spring for something nice. She's always loved the idea of the character but has never read any comics for her. Any help?

Both the current Wonder Woman and Superman/Wonder Woman are good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He's not with DC anymore.
Which sucks so hard, since he's my second favorite superhero ever.

Edit: He is, but it seems like a mess.
Weird, I had no clue that was the deal with Milestoje characters. So was Static able to play in the DCU with other characters when the publishing deal existed? I skipped the new52 Static book, especially after all that shit came out about how much vitriol there was between the creative team behind it.

Hey, are there any good Wonder Woman stories out there now? My gf is particularly interested in getting a good one and with her birthday coming up I was thinking I might spring for something nice. She's always loved the idea of the character but has never read any comics for her. Any help?

Wonder Woman's kinda tough, yeah.

Only one I've got in my collection is JLA A League of One. Don't let the title fool you, it's very much a WW story. It's painted in this rich, vibrant style that is quite a bit different from what you'd get with Alex Ross. It's about this ancient dragon coming back and WW has to face it herself because a prophecy says that the League will perish if they challenge it. So she becomes a League of one. It uses Morrison's JLA "main 7" roster.

dQ0FkOn.jpg

Weird, I had no clue that was the deal with Milestoje characters. So was Static able to play in the DCU with other characters when the publishing deal existed? I skipped the new52 Static book, especially after all that shit came out about how much vitriol there was between the creative team behind it.
I have no clue. Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of what happened there.
All I know is that I want more Static. We didn't even get a damn figure. :/

SoilBreak

Banned

Greg Rucka's run

Oh wait, Justice League Canada is coming out this week? This might be my first DC book since Lobdell's TT put me in a coma.

The first issue (#0) came out weeks ago.

Ya know, thinking about it some more... you should probably just get her the Wonder Woman animated movie. That's a fantastic WW origin story that nails the essence of Diana and her entire world in 90 minutes.

That sounds awesome. Will definitely pick up Volume two and three when they come out in paperback.
Ruckas run is the best WW I've read.

Start with
Hiketeia.jpg

Then move to his first trade Wonder Woman down to earth

Or just jump,to the first trade it's fantastic

MartyStu

Shit! Waid's Daredevil run is easily one of the best ever.

I mean, I think I may like it more than Remender's Uncanny X-Force run.

And if I am not mistaken, it is still ongoing?

Ruckas run is the best WW I've read.

Start with
Hiketeia.jpg

Then move to his first trade Wonder Woman down to earth

Or just jump,to the first trade it's fantastic

This plus another recommendation of this run on the last page has put this on my short list. Will also get the DVD of the Wonder Woman film. Unless the Blu-Ray has a ton of extras, Amazon has the BR for ~$14 extra so I doubt DVD will be much worse.

Both of these are on my high priority list. Uncanny X-Force is going to be part of my next order for sure.

And if I am not mistaken, it is still ongoing?

The last series ended with #36, but a new series has been launched with the same creative team.

Owzers

Daredevil #1.5 was okay, i have little desire to read the other mini stories at the back but i will attempt to do so. The premise for the issue was neat, but as a one shot it did feel short, maybe that's for the best.

Ultima_5

Hey guys. Any opinions and/or suggestions on Buffy comics? I was thinking if grabbing a trade or two in my next order since I'm sorta seeing a girl who is REALLY into Buffy and seems like she could get into comics a bit.

Thanks guys!!

ZServ

Okay ComicGAF. I used to read Spiderman a loooong time ago. I read black and white comics, not really sure what it was, don't remember, I was young, etc so on and so forth. Just got back from Amazing Spiderman 2 and I'm feeling all sorts of things, amongst them a desire for more Spidey. So: what should I read? Where do I start?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Re-read Shutter #1 and it was definitely more enjoyable the second time around. Series has some great potential.

Owzers

Hey guys. Any opinions and/or suggestions on Buffy comics? I was thinking if grabbing a trade or two in my next order since I'm sorta seeing a girl who is REALLY into Buffy and seems like she could get into comics a bit.

Thanks guys!!

I read all of buffy season 8 and 9, season 8 is definitely the place to start reading Buffy comics. Fray was a miniseries that came out awhile before that about the future of vampire slaying and the character pops into an arc of season 8, so maybe that too before you hit the arc. There are also some fantastically priced oversized editions of season 8. http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Dark-Horse/BTVS-SEASON-8-LIBRARY-HC-VOL-01-LONG-WAY-HOME/JAN120078

Main problem with season 8 is that it unravels into craziness at the end, i found the first couple arcs to be quite special, and then not so much. Still, worth reading.

Wool

Okay ComicGAF. I used to read Spiderman a loooong time ago. I read black and white comics, not really sure what it was, don't remember, I was young, etc so on and so forth. Just got back from Amazing Spiderman 2 and I'm feeling all sorts of things, amongst them a desire for more Spidey. So: what should I read? Where do I start?

Amazing Spiderman #1 was just released last week. Pick up that series and read the Superior Spiderman run that preceded it if you want back story. I don't think you'll need to read Superior though, they've been making new series really accessible.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

frye

It looks like what he's saying is even though DC doesn't own the Milestone characters, it's still up to them to actually use them.

ReiGun

God and Mortals by George Perez
The Heketeia by Greg Rucka
The Circle by Gail Simone
A League of One by Christopher Moeller

Filthy Slug

It looks like what he's saying is even though DC doesn't own the Milestone characters, it's still up to them to actually use them.

But only for certain characters?

Wool

Spike Spiegel did you get that "Tijuana Bible" with Satellite Sam #8? That was a great tie in with the issue! This series is way different than everything else I read but it's getting good.

Owzers

two of the best Marvel books are on sale at comixology: Nextwave Agents of Hate and Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis.

Recommended.

NFL-GAF does a new thread every week during the football season and there're in community.

Are you complaining? Being in OT allows the chance we get new people. I would have never found this thread if it wasn't for it being in OT. I don't get why your making a big deal about this.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
two of the best Marvel books are on sale at comixology: Nextwave Agents of Hate and Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis.

Recommended.

I second this motion. Nextwave is one of the finest house-owned works by Ellis and Immonen.

Are you complaining? Being in OT allows the chance we get new people. I would have never found this thread if it wasn't for it being in OT. I don't get why your making a big deal about this.

I'm not making a big deal out of this and you're taking this weirdly personal? I found NFL-GAF just fine with it being in Community and I'm glad I did. I didn't realize that an idle thought comparing comics to NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. would be a cause for concern on anyone's part.

Anybody pickup the x-men OGN by Mike Carey or will be picking up Original Sin and not using their digital codes for them?

I pick up lots of Marvel so I'd trade you for them.

Filthy Slug

Are we talking about the new Secret Avengers series? If so, I gotta get in on this when I get to the shop this week.

Get that Secret Avengers, Freeze. Great series and how could you not be supporting Ales Kot you monster.

Are we talking about the new Secret Avengers series? If so, I gotta get in on this when I get to the shop this week.

No, but check those out anyway.

Ellis had a short run on Secret Avengers which are on sale.

They introduce Business Time Moon Knight, David Aja's "House of Stairs" and the best Black Widow story
n
ever told

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom