• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEJ

Hi everyone!

I'm not the biggest into comics, I mostly buy self contained stories via trade paperback {kingdom come, the long halloween, watchmen} and was wanting to leave my comfort zone.

I mostly read batman/superman stuff, my favorite being all star superman. I also loved the watchmen and usagi yojimbo/original tmnt.

I want to start reading some marvel stuff. Captain America, spiderman, xmen {especially days of the future past} and some lesser known DC, green arrow, zatanna, etc

anything you would recommend? I want to read ed brudabakers run on CA

I'd like to give batman begins a special thank you because if I didn't watch it 20+ times I probably wouldn't have gained interest in reading actual comic books.

What!? Is that all gas money because your comic store is far away, or do you mean you'll just wind up buying all the issues they have?
Gas money + two issues. lol
I promised myself I would support more local comic stores and purchase issues I actually care about in paper + digital. At this point, it's just been Spider-Man #1, and Bee and Puppycat #1. lol

8bit

Knows the Score
Been reading X-men Legacy on MarvelU and wow it's really good. Totally didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Helps that David is a scot I suppose lol I only really remember David from the cartoon so it's like reading about a brand new character.

It's awesome, best X-book since X-Statix. And, yeah, I definately get the Scottish connection to David thing. Best written Scottish character since Morrison's Mirror Master.

--edit

Damn, Constantine looks great. Loved his voicework in Assassin's Creed IV.

Messi

Hi everyone!

I'm not the biggest into comics, I mostly buy self contained stories via trade paperback {kingdom come, the long halloween, watchmen} and was wanting to leave my comfort zone.

I mostly read batman/superman stuff, my favorite being all star superman. I also loved the watchmen and usagi yojimbo/original tmnt.

I want to start reading some marvel stuff. Captain America, spiderman, xmen {especially days of the future past} and some lesser known DC, green arrow, zatanna, etc

I'd like to give batman begins a special thank you because if I didn't watch it 20+ times I probably wouldn't have gained interest in reading actual comic books.

How do you feel about Quietlys art in All-Star Superman. Specially the faces?

Bad Art perhaps?

So my big order came in and I've read two of the six books I got.

Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good. It's the new launch with Iron Man on the team. The story was fun and the majority of the art was great. I know very, very little of anything cosmic so a lot of it was a bit over my head but I still enjoyed the entire thing.

Batman: Court of Owls was stellar. Just fantastic. Started off slow and I didn't think I would like it, but about halfway through it just flipped a switch and I started loving it. Capullo has really grown a lot as an artist. My first experience was his Ultimate X-Men, in which is stuff was so bad it made me skip his issues, and now this one was such a crazy jump in quality.

Great stuff so far. Still have Bendis Daredevil Ultimate Collection Vol. 1, Marvel Now Deadpool Vol 1 & 2, as well as Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif volume 1. Should have some good stuff ahead of me.

TEJ

How do you feel about Quietlys art in All-Star Superman. Specially the faces?

Bad Art perhaps?

i'm far from being an expert at analyzing comic art.

I did love the designs in the watchmen, great designs proving that fancy shading isn't everything.

Messi

i'm far from being an expert at analyzing comic art.

I did love the designs in the watchmen, great designs proving that fancy shading isn't everything.

I notice you avoided talking about the faces...

Btw Brubakers Catwoman is amazing. Sure it's not Ann Noccenti level greatness but not many things are in fairness.

TEJ

I notice you avoided talking about the faces...

Btw Brubakers Catwoman is amazing. Sure it's not Ann Noccenti level greatness but not many things are in fairness.

They're not great. but, as long as comic book art isn't early youngblood levels of bad it doesn't bother me most of the time.

Hi everyone!

I'd definitely recommend Thor God of Thunder. Really enjoyable series even for someone who hasn't read much Thor like myself. Scott Snyder's Batman series is must-read if you like Batman. The first four trades are available.

Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good. It's the new launch with Iron Man on the team. The story was fun and the majority of the art was great. I know very, very little of anything cosmic so a lot of it was a bit over my head but I still enjoyed the entire thing.

The good news is that Iron Man doesn't stick around for long. Because fuck that guy. But they did just put
Venom
on the team, so that could make for some interesting storytelling involving
the symbiote

Messi

They're not great. but, as long as comic book art isn't early youngblood levels of bad it doesn't bother me most of the time.

True, an honest opinion if ever ive heard one. Don't let the others here bully you into pretending it is great.

As for book recommendations for Marvel, Thor God of Thunder is a must read, Hawkeye my life as a weapon too. All new X-Men and Uncanny X-Men have been good in uncanny case and great in all news case.

DC as you have been told Batman by Scott Snyder is great. I really enjoy Batgirl, Batwoman, Harley Quinn and Batman and Robin. The art by JH Williams is incredible.

anything you would recommend?
For Marvel stuff, check out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. It is a great series and it's really easy to just jump into. You can just buy the Hardcover which includes the first two trades released so far. If you want to jump into Spider-Man you can just start with Superior Spider-Man.

For DC: I highly recommend Power Girl: Power Trip if you've never read anything with her, it's a very fun series! Batwoman is also excellent.

True, an honest opinion if ever ive heard one. Don't let the others here bully you into pretending it is great.

And don't let Messi here spam you into thinking it's bad.

For Captain America, try the new series but be aware it's nothing like the Winter Soldier movie. It's a crazy B-movie romp.

Spider-Man has been pretty good since Brand New Day. Superior just wrapped and is fun. As for X-Men, probably Wolverine and the X-Men. I'm not enjoying the Bendis stuff personally though I will stick with it until The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier because that could be crazy good. I'd recommend X-Men Legacy and X-Factor but they're not typical X-Men.

Messi

For Marvel stuff, check out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. It is a great series and it's really easy to just jump into. You can just buy the Hardcover which includes the first two trades released so far. If you want to jump into Spider-Man you can just start with Superior Spider-Man.

For DC: I highly recommend Power Girl: Power Trip if you've never read anything with her, it's a very fun series! Batwoman is also excellent.

Power Girl power trip is great stuff.

Chinner

Banned
newb to comics lolz

Went round my local comic shop for the first time and picked up a few things I researched and suggestions I gathered from here.

The Punisher #1-6 (2011, Rucka): I really like this. It's a gritty, dark rendition of New York with hard hitting violence. The story telling is detailed and has a few strands developing, with competent leads with the two detectives with Coles and the detectives reacting to the story. The Punisher has been dehumanized, and acts more like a moving event.

The Punisher #1-5 (2014): This is a completely different beast compared to the 2011 run, and that's why I'm enjoying this. Frank is more exposed and with limitations. It's a little bit of a slow burner at the moment, but the cinematic presentation of the action is awesome, and I love the art style and it's brought to life with the use of light open areas as opened to the dark alleys of New York.

Southern Bastards #1 This was awesome. Totally want to see where this goes. The story presentation is great and characters are well written. It's does what it does really well.

Dead Body Road #1: Seems like a fairly generic revenge flick. I'm already reading the Punisher, so I've already that angle covered. Might give this another chance but will probably drop it.

Moon Knight #1: I saw this mentioned around here and the guy at the shop recommended it so I just chanced it. It's great! It's a little bit eccentric, but it knows it. He also has an auto-driving car so that's pretty cool. Will check out #2 and #3.

Black Magic #1: I want to see where this goes, I feel like it could be either really good or just kinda lame. I like the narration and the art style, the use of bright colours and the imagination here is good with the frog/turtle world. I just feel a little hesitant on where this is going.

Also got the part 1 of Lazarus, will read it later when i can.

TEJ

I'm going to write down all these recommendations down in word. There aren't many games I want to buy this summer, so i'll buy comics instead.

Van

Any books for marvel i should read? Already ordering thor god of thunder vol 1 and 2 and god bomb... Open to DC to!

Messi

I'm going to write down all these recommendations down in word. There aren't many games I want to buy this summer, so i'll buy comics instead.

Do you read any Image comics? Some real quality books out at the moment like Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, Deadly Class, Velvet.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Y'all just reminded me that Static Shock is a character that exists and has been treated so shittily. For fuck's sake, put him in Future's End, at least. Terry and Virgil make a great team.

TEJ

Do you read any Image comics? Some real quality books out at the moment like Saga, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, Deadly Class, Velvet.

not really but i wouldn't be against it.

I mainly like superheroes but like I mentioned, I did read a good amount of original tmnt and usagi yojimbo.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
not really but i wouldn't be against it.

I mainly like superheroes but like I mentioned, I did read a good amount of original tmnt and usagi yojimbo.
Lemire and Sorrentino's Green Arrow. Enjoy.

Hi everyone!

Well, if you like Batman Begins, that's heavily based on Frank Miller's Batman Year One. So you should check that out if you haven't yet. Frank Miller also wrote the fantastic Daredevil story "Born Again." It's pretty self contained and you won't need to know much about Daredevil continuity to get into. That's a good place to start for getting into Marvel.

You already read Kingdom Come, which was drawn by Alex Ross and written by Mark Waid. Alex Ross also illustrated Marvels, which is a retelling of the origins of the Marvel superheroes from the perspective of an ordinary New Yorker. Mark Waid's written a lot of good stuff, but you might wanna check out Superman Birthright, which is his retelling of Superman's origin story. DC's had a lot of reboots and continuity shifts since then so it's not considered the official origin of Superman now, but it's still a great read.

Iron Man Extremis is a soft reboot/intro into Iron Man, and was a strong influence for the first Iron Man movie. They also got the extremis stuff in Iron Man 3 from there. Really good read that modernized Iron Man for a new generation.

If you liked The Avengers movie, that's influenced by Mark Millar's The Ultimates vol 1 and 2. Those comics pretty much read like big blockbuster movies in comic form.

Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX is the series to read if you want to read Punisher stuff. It's removed from the superhero Marvel universe, so it's just Punisher and mob bosses, assassins, etc. But that's pretty much where the Punisher shines, imo.

If you want to read about a smaller DC character, I recommend Hitman, which is the exploits of a hitman in Gotham City. Every once in a while he meets a superhero like Batman or Green Lantern and wacky hijinks ensue, but mostly it's about him and his life with other hitmen friends. Pretty light and comedic tone, though it goes dark every now and then.

DC: The New Frontier is a large, two volume tome by Darwyn Cooke, who used to be an illustrator on the show Batman Beyond. I can't think of a better book since Kingdom Come came out in 1996. Cooke goes through the history of the DC universe as it exists in the early Silver Age, and incorporates it into the new Space Race between the US and the Soviets. Everything is bright and fresh and filled with boundless optimism, which is a nice change from a lot of the comics you read about today. The world building of the 50-60s with these newfangled superheroes is incredibly detailed and subtle, and gradually the pieces form together to form a menace that requires the combined might and effort of the entire DC pantheon. These are gods who walk on earth, yet Cooke instills in them a humanity and humble grace that keeps them grounded and relateable. The final page is a callback to one of the seminal moments in DC's history, and Jimmy Olsen's one exuberant line gives the reader a sense of newfound confidence and optimism for the future.

Warner Brothers also turned it into an animated DVD movie, but it falls well short of full capturing the genius and thoughtfulness of Cooke's masterpiece.

I picked up original sin #1... Will it be good enough to get that and possibly the mini spinoffs like original sin #3.1 and such? The amount of tie-ins is insane and will bankrupt me.

TEJ

I don't own a tablet, as for comics i'd prefer physical. I tried buying digital off of comixology but the drm was terrible. already own batman year one.

I'll keep all these recommendations in mind.

I don't own a tablet, as for comics i'd prefer physical. I tried buying digital off of comixology but the drm was terrible. already own batman year one.

I'll keep all these recommendations in mind.

The Image bundle is DRM free if that's what bothers you

Right now they are nailing it.

To me, they are the premium cable network of comics right now.

We are lucky in this medium because the top talents are good at both commercial entertainment and their own personal projects, and they're all rewarding to experience. We don't really have Orci or Lindenof type figures to screw it up.

MG310

Ordered a few things from IST...

Superior Spider-Man Hardcover vol. 1
Marvel Masterworks - Captain America vol. 3
Dan Slott She-Hulk

and a Terry Moore How To book.

That site is dangerous. Have a bunch of stuff in my wishlist that will probably need to wait until after Special Edition NYC.

Toa TAK

Banned
To me, they are the premium cable network of comics right now.

We are lucky in this medium because the top talents are good at both commercial entertainment and their own personal projects, and they're all rewarding to experience. We don't really have Orci or Lindenof type figures to screw it up.

Not yet.

Hey, are there any good Wonder Woman stories out there now? My gf is particularly interested in getting a good one and with her birthday coming up I was thinking I might spring for something nice. She's always loved the idea of the character but has never read any comics for her. Any help?

The good news is that Iron Man doesn't stick around for long. Because fuck that guy. But they did just put
Venom
on the team, so that could make for some interesting storytelling involving
the symbiote

That sounds awesome. Will definitely pick up Volume two and three when they come out in paperback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom