• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well it clearly is one of the best Batman stories.

Speaking of faces, Dustin Nguyen drew Heart of Hush and his Catwoman looked great in that. I wonder why Selina looked so weird in his eternal preview.

I've liked Nguyen for years but he is pretty inconsistent IMO. His style is so stripped back that it's very easy for his faces to become misproportioned and a bit wonky. Personally I wish his interiors had more of the experimental style of his covers, I could forgive any oddness with a bit more verve. As it is, I just find him an inoffensive b-tier artist, never really excites me.

I was really digging All-new X-men. I just hope it doesn't turn into Kitty and Jean Grey show(with those other guys on the side), Now that young Cyclops is off having space adventures with his dad.

At least I still have Uncanny X-men.

Fintan

Hey, guys. I recently started re-reading all of my Ultimate Spider-Man trades and getting caught up on Miles Morales. I was wondering what other parts of the Ultimate Universe are worth catching up on? I've read the first few Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates and Ultimates 2. Is anything non-Spider-Man post-Ultimatum worthwhile?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey, guys. I recently started re-reading all of my Ultimate Spider-Man trades and getting caught up on Miles Morales. I was wondering what other parts of the Ultimate Universe are worth catching up on? I've read the first few Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates and Ultimates 2. Is anything non-Spider-Man post-Ultimatum worthwhile?

Hickman's Ultimates is good, as is Ultimate Doom

Messi

Great art. Shit story (not sure how rape-y this joint is). Wait for the movie.

futuramafry.jpg

Messi

I'm more surprised that Superboy hasn't been cancelled yet. I forgot that book even existed

I didn't even know it was still going. More recently I noticed there hasn't t been a Suicide Squad issue in a while. I know they are rebooting it but I hadn't realized they had stopped the current issues.

Boogiepop

So I just started reading the TMNT Classics that I picked up. Got through the second volume, and fortunately I still like the series a ton even when it's not the original team, it would seem.

The second volume in particular was actually really interesting. I guess I'll spoiler tag these old comics that have been fairly recently rereleased just to be safe. But yeah, the issue with the
time traveling girl
was just plain well crafted. A nice fit for the quirkiness of TMNT and definitely a little odd, but certainly a nice little story. And then the follow-up was just plain crazy. I mean, when the turtles
getting placed in robot bodies made out of junk by Splinter and forced to fight a giant TV man
isn't the weirdest thing in the story, you know you've got something odd. It was still a fun story, though. And then it just went into complete and utter rambling nonsense once
that one guy turned into a Batman parody

Man, this is the kind of stuff I think of when I think "indie," really. It's really almost baffling that this series somehow became a multimedia hit that's popular to these days rather than some kind of quirky cult classic. But it definitely deserves it, because it really is an awesome little comic.

tim1138

Are there any other good green arrow runs to read besides the current one? I've been enjoying it a lot and want to read more.

Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock
Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell

Personally, I really like the Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow run from the 70s.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Are there any other good green arrow runs to read besides the current one? I've been enjoying it a lot and want to read more.

Quiver by Kevin Smith and Phil Hester

I seriously love this book and it's finally being reprinted pretty soon, I believe. It's about Olly coming back from the dead and basically reassembling his life while horrible shit is going on around him. Cool ties to Sandman too.

FeD.nL

Hi Comic-GAF, I'm currently in NYC and I want to get myself an omnibus but I can't decide which one. I'm considering Ultimate Death of Spider-Man (I just love the cover so much), Uncanny X-Force (The Rick Remender run) or the New X-Men one (I already have the astonishing X-Men omnibus and it would be nice to have both of them).

If I could get them all three I would do that but I kinda have a weight issue with all of the stuff I had to get for some friends and family so any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you in advance :).

Hi Comic-GAF, I'm currently in NYC and I want to get myself an omnibus but I can't decide which one. I'm considering Ultimate Death of Spider-Man (I just love the cover so much), Uncanny X-Force (The Rick Remender run) or the New X-Men one (I already have the astonishing X-Men omnibus and it would be nice to have both of them).

If I could get them all three I would do that but I kinda have a weight issue with all of the stuff I had to get for some friends and family so any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you in advance :).

Uncanny X-Force. From page 1 to the end reads as one of the most epic stories. It's a blast.

Messi

I just re-read Heart of Hush. I really believe it is better in almost every way than Hush. It's a really cool story and Paul Dini really knows how to write Catwoman. It makes me much more excited for Zatanna and Black Canary Bloodspell this month.

--

Wonder Woman's solo book is barely about her. It is essentially a team book. Not saying it's bad. I quite enjoy it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I just re-read Heart of Hush. I really believe it is better in almost every way than Hush. It's a really cool story and Paul Dini really knows how to write Catwoman. It makes me much more excited for Zatanna and Black Canary Bloodspell this month.

You weren't being sarcastic when you said Hush is one of the best Batman stories? Hush is like fastfood Batman--It's empty calories. I think it has its place though, because it's a great gateway book into better Batman stories.

But to your Zatana and Black Canary point--this book seems great. Dude's wife is a magician and I imagine he's putting a ton of passion into the story.

I'm always amused that the very first non-Batman DC character Dini decided to introduce into the DCAU was Zatanna. And he opened his Zatanna ongoing with her gagged and bound and about to get drilled from behind by Dr.Light and the Joker

ZatannaSplash.jpg

the man has his fetishes

Filthy Slug

I'm always amused that the very first non-Batman DC character Dini decided to introduce into the DCAU was Zatanna. And he opened his Zatanna ongoing with her gagged and bound and about to get drilled from behind by Dr.Light and the Joker

ZatannaSplash.jpg

the man has his fetishes

Even more sold on the Zatanna and Black Canary book now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

IMO Spidey loses a lot of weight if you've not read the whole series, I see it very much as a super long form single story. Was really good though, gave me wet eyes.

New x-men is wonderful but probably a bit long to make a comfortable reading experience in one volume.

So really Uncanny X-Force. You are also in luck because it's fucking straight up amazing. I know nothing about Apocalypse going in, still loved it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm probably the only one who enjoyed Judd Winick's Green Arrow run...

I read the whole thing but I'd be hard pressed to recommend it. The mayor stuff was very cool but I don't think the book had the strength of its convictions and fell back on dumb villain plots when it really should have been a book about Ollie being mayor. Was it Winick or Smith who gave Speedy AIDS?

I was super hopeful for the GA/BC launch with that hot as fuck Chiang art when he drew every woman like their skin was the most delicious thing ever. That one fell apart fast.

It's probably your best bet unless your crappy LCS has the back issues, I'm pretty sure the tpbs are both out of print.

I think the second one is still easy to find, but yeah, good luck finding the first volume.

I really hope they just put out a trade with Dini's complete run eventually.

Filthy Slug

Did you read that on going? It was really freaking good. There was a great back up story in one of the issues with teenager Zee trying to cast spells while she had braces.

No, but now I need to track that down, man. Sounds great.

tim1138

I think the second one is still easy to find, but yeah, good luck finding the first volume.

I really hope they just put out a trade with Dini's complete run eventually.

Yeah the lack of availability of volume 1 is why the series was one of the few survivors of my floppy purge a few years ago. I just figured that by now volume 2 was equally impossible to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom