• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why aren't we in community

8eQqot7.gif

Cause Community is awful. Don't ever suggest that again.

Spike Spiegel did you get that "Tijuana Bible" with Satellite Sam #8? That was a great tie in with the issue! This series is way different than everything else I read but it's getting good.
No, no Tijuana bible for me. My LCS rarely gets or gives out freebies like that, so I wasn't really expecting to get one in my folder. As for the issue itself, I'm glad that Michael's story appears to be moving forward, after his spending the last few emulating his father; he's developed some unattractive qualities that run the risk of ruining him as a relatable protagonist if they are continued to dwell upon.

Completely unrelated: when you guy s and gals picture Supergirl, what hairstyle does she have? Long? Shoulder length? Bangs?

Thiiiiiiings.

No, no Tijuana bible for me. My LCS rarely gets or gives out freebies like that, so I wasn't really expecting to get one in my folder. As for the issue itself, I'm glad that Michael's story appears to be moving forward, after his spending the last few emulating his father; he's developed some unattractive qualities that run the risk of ruining him as a relatable protagonist if they are continued to dwell upon.

Completely unrelated: when you guy s and gals picture Supergirl, what hairstyle does she have? Long? Shoulder length? Bangs?

Thiiiiiiings.

Michael Turner's.

VD9Hnnv.jpg

I'm not making a big deal out of this and you're taking this weirdly personal? I found NFL-GAF just fine with it being in Community and I'm glad I did. I didn't realize that an idle thought comparing comics to NFL, MLB, NHL, etc. would be a cause for concern on anyone's part.

Clubhouse threads are deathly serious man

Get a clue

just read Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank. I think i'm a big Punisher fan now? I also now appreciate Steve Dillon, he was in top form in this book. I'm also a big fan of inventive murder, and
using a fat man to smother a guy after his face was burned by pizza
is pretty inventive.

I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited for the first time and started reading Whedon's run of the Astonishing X-Men. It's really good and I love the humor (especially the stuff between Frost and Kitty). Should I continue reading it after reaching the end of Whedon's run of it?

Also, which runs of Spider-man and Avengers should I read? I know that Ultimate Spider-man is good, but what is good in the original Universe.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
List!

Books of the week:
All-New X-Men #27
Avengers Undercover #4

Picking up:
All-New Ghost Rider #3
Captain America #20
Captain Marvel #3
Deadpool #28
Fables #140
Fantastic Four #4
FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics #10
Nightcrawler #2
Secret Avengers #3
Shutter #2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #34

Hope this is good this time around:
All New Ultimates #2

Starting to feel like I should be dropping titles but we'll see how things go.

Is anyone planning on reading the Superman: Doomed event? I've been picking up Superman/Wonder Woman (that amazing art!), so I'm curious about it. Not sure if I want to buy three different titles to follow it.

Is anyone planning on reading the Superman: Doomed event? I've been picking up Superman/Wonder Woman (that amazing art!), so I'm curious about it. Not sure if I want to buy three different titles to follow it.

All the writers are good (except Lobdell) so I'm not too worried about the event. Both Action Comics and Batman/Superman have been wonderful titles, IMO.

THE LIST:
ARCHIE COMICS:
AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE #5 (I have missed you)

DC COMICS:
ACTION COMICS: SUPERMAN #31 (Doomed) -maybe
BATMAN ETERNAL #6
F.B.P. #10
SUPERMAN: DOOMED one-shot -maybe
SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #8 (Doomed)

MARVEL:
ALL-NEW GHOST RIDER #3
FANTASTIC FOUR #4

Mindwipe

I just subscribed to Marvel Unlimited for the first time and started reading Whedon's run of the Astonishing X-Men. It's really good and I love the humor (especially the stuff between Frost and Kitty). Should I continue reading it after reaching the end of Whedon's run of it?

Also, which runs of Spider-man and Avengers should I read? I know that Ultimate Spider-man is good, but what is good in the original Universe.

To be honest I can't remember, it got delayed so much it barely existed and had little impact after Joss left.

There's almost certainly other stuff you could read that is a better use of your time.

rakhir

Thiiiiiiings.
I know I'm probably alone in this, but i love the N52 Supergirl look, specifically the cape, it's really rad with that neckpiece.

n52-mos-supergirl-costume-finished-pics-pg-4-entered-halloween-contest-nhot8t6.jpg-198910d1371517025

List of threes:

All New Ghost Rider #3
Auteur #3 (book of the week)
Captain Marvel #3
Secret Avengers #3

Starlight #3
Stray Bullets: Killers #3
Krampus #5 (then most likely drop, if it's even returning)

Possibly jumping on the Deadpool bandwagon and picking up #28. The preview on CBR looked great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Hell naw, avoiding the usually good Action and S/WW until it's over. Doomsday has and will always suck and needs to go away. He's either dumb and it's smash smashy, or really intelligent and you get endless raggedy lettered monologues like that Doomsday event that ended the old run of action and dragged forever.

I know I'm probably alone in this, but i love the N52 Supergirl look, specifically the cape, it's really rad with that neckpiece.

n52-mos-supergirl-costume-finished-pics-pg-4-entered-halloween-contest-nhot8t6.jpg-198910d1371517025
Ahhhhhh... Hmmmm... Based on this picture, her design features a crotchshield, no pants and a bare arse? But long boot/knee things... Because otherwise she'd look whoreish.

That's... Ummmmm... One way to get around the whole dislike people had for her previous designs that had short skirts.

Anything is better than her (Supergirl) God awful cheerleader outfit.

I especially didn't like her DCAU version.

But that's just me. Aesthetics and all that.

phoenixyz

Wait-no-Batman-#31-this-week?-List

Batman Eternal #6

and maybe I'll give Future's End another chance.

also FBP, but I think I'll just tradewait this one. I read the first trade and found that to be awesome. But now, in a monthly format, I have no idea what the heck is going on most of the time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I haven't read anything Supergirl prior or after the reboot but it's not consistent with what they were going for Supes armor. Yay.

No but it's sexy so... y'know...

Whenever I see that costume I think of razor stubble at the edges. Do Kryptonians even have pubes?

I still haven't finished last week's batch and I'm really busy this week. So this week's list goes straight into the backlog.

ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS
Afterlife With Archie #5

DC COMICS
Action Comics #31
Batman Eternal #6
Fables #140
Justice League United #1
New 52 Futures End #2
Royals Masters Of War #4 (Of 6)
Superman Doomed #1
Superman Wonder Woman #8

IDW PUBLISHING
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #29

MARVEL COMICS
All-New Ghost Rider #3
All-New X-Men #27
Avengers #29
Avengers Undercover #4
Captain America #20
Deadpool #28
New Avengers #18
Secret Avengers #3

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT
Quantum And Woody #10

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ooh. The Annihilation Omnibus is available on IST for 50% off. I'm tempted to get it despite having spent most of my comics budget this month. :|

Too bad its not Annhilation Conquest, which I found much more entertaining.

Can anyone tell me what Image comics are interesting/great that arent Walking Dead, Saga, Invincible, Phonogram and Revival?

Too bad its not Annhilation Conquest, which I found much more entertaining.

Can anyone tell me what Image comics are interesting/great that arent Walking Dead, Saga, Invincible, Phonogram and Revival?

Rat Queens
Sex Criminals
Deadly Class
Black Science
Manhattan Projects
Zero

Are probably the top of each outside of what you mentioned.

Messi

Any thoughts on East of West?

It's very confusing and always world building /adding new characters. It's good most of the time and the art is gorgeous. The paper quality is amazing. The book feels weighty in your hand.

Dat image quality.

--

How is Absolute Hush? I only have the Hush paperback but would like something nicer.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's very confusing and always world building /adding new characters. It's good most of the time and the art is gorgeous. The paper quality is amazing. The book feels weighty in your hand.

Dat image quality.

--

How is Absolute Hush? I only have the Hush paperback but would like something nicer.

It's like Hush but bigger. All the faces look exactly the same, you'll love it.

Ooh. The Annihilation Omnibus is available on IST for 50% off. I'm tempted to get it despite having spent most of my comics budget this month. :|

I received a preview copy and finished it last week.

On one hand, the story is great.

On the other hand, the artwork ranges from absolutely terrible to barely okay (more often toward the beginning of that spectrum).

Messi

It's like Hush but bigger. All the faces look exactly the same, you'll love it.

Well it clearly is one of the best Batman stories.

Speaking of faces, Dustin Nguyen drew Heart of Hush and his Catwoman looked great in that. I wonder why Selina looked so weird in his eternal preview.

Well it clearly is one of the best Batman stories.

Speaking of faces, Dustin Nguyen drew Heart of Hush and his Catwoman looked great in that. I wonder why Selina looked so weird in his eternal preview.

Without Nocenti on scripting duties you just can't get a proper Catwoman.

LosDaddie

Banned

Yup, and it has free shipping from them. I already ordered and it was delivered on Saturday. :)

I skimmed through a few pages and the art is pretty good. I won't read it for a few months, though. Hopefully the omnibus sales are good enough to get the rest of Annihilation story on omnibus format

Mumei

Yup, and it has free shipping from them. I already ordered and it was delivered on Saturday. :)

I skimmed through a few pages and the art is pretty good. I won't read it for a few months, though. Hopefully the omnibus sales are good enough to get the rest of Annihilation story on omnibus format

I received a preview copy and finished it last week.

On one hand, the story is great.

On the other hand, the artwork ranges from absolutely terrible to barely okay (more often toward the beginning of that spectrum).

Am I about to witness another Comic Art Argument? :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom