• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Harley Quinn probably got the worst re-design.

They took away her classic outfit that everyone loved and instead re-designed her as a zombie stripper or something.

In her solo series she has a few new outfits each issue and they are moving away mostly from the jugglo look.but yeah, the beginning of the new 52 was rough for her.

Messi

PFFFT

That shit was horrid an dumb.

untitled-12ycj6e.gif

Harley with normal makeup on is adorable, she also looks like Felicity from Arrow.

Harley shouldn't have a set costume. It does not fit her to wear the same thing all the time. I like the direction of the new solo series.

Messi

Harley shouldn't have a set costume. It does not fit her to wear the same thing all the time. I like the direction of the new solo series.

This is on par with the Black Widow comment man. Seriously Harley's classic outfit was great for years and perfect for her character. Now they keep changing outfits to try and find something else that is great out of some misguided attempt to modernise the character. Don't get me wrong I love some of the new series outfits but Harleys classic look won't ever be topped.

This is on par with the Black Widow comment man. Seriously Harley's classic outfit was great for years and perfect for her character. Now they keep changing outfits to try and find something else that is great out of some misguided attempt to modernise the character. Don't get me wrong I love some of the new series outfits but Harleys classic look won't ever be topped.

Messi, I swear sometimes you try to pick fights with me for no good reason. On par with the BW comment? Really? Go grab your stack of Harley comics, reread them all, and imagine the classic outfit in every panel. Tell me with all honesty that's what you think of what I said.

dan2026

God I wish Wonder Woman had kept the pants.

I don'y know why they were so adverse to it.

Messi, I swear sometimes you try to pick fights with me for no good reason. On par with the BW comment? Really? Go grab your stack of Harley comics, reread them all, and imagine the classic outfit in every panel. Tell me with all honesty that's what you think of what I said.

Messi is right though.
Harley's classic costume was perfect and stuck for years.

No every new outfit they give her has been inferior.

I'm pretty sure Village is a living Devil's Advocate. Like, he always seem to be on the wrong/unpopular side of every single argument that it has to be on purpose. Here, Black Culture thread, SonicGAF, OT...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
God I wish Wonder Woman had kept the pants.

I don'y know why they were so adverse to it.
Why try to make such a blatent sex symbol modest? I mean, why is Catwoman's tit-zipper usually showing off her cleavage?

Why try to make such a blatent sex symbol modest? I mean, why is Catwoman's tit-zipper usually showing off her cleavage?

Well, that's another point, really. Catwoman is just straight-up sex candy, whereas you can make the argument that Wonder Woman is a solid role-model, and she's still sexy without being a slutcake.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Wonder Woman is supposed to be a sex symbol?
Dude, go look up her creator, William Marstan, and how Wonder Woman came about. She was birthed from sexual freedom. Look at her gear, lassos and cuffs. Sexy, bondage-like gear. The pants argument is pretty inane to me.

dan2026

Wonder Woman was created by a massive pervert and honestly her character sucked for a long, long, long time.

To this day she still remains almost a marginal character, sadly.
Her popularity is minimal.

Filthy Slug

Well, that's another point, really. Catwoman is just straight-up sex candy, whereas you can make the argument that Wonder Woman is a solid role-model, and she's still sexy without being a slutcake.
Why does wearing sexy clothing and not hiding your sexuality make you a slutcake? I'm not saying Wonder Woman shoukd never ever leave the house without pants or a suit, but her established outfit is pretty iconic, doesnt make her a slutcake in any way, and is aesthetically appealing.

Messi

She didnt use her costume in every panel pre new 52. I just honestly believe her old costume is better than anything they are using now. Of course the costume doesnt fit these stories, the costume is affecting the stories being told.

Edit: I feel like I am not explaining this well as I am rushing before my laptop battery dies lol. I am not picking on you Korupt :)

ReiGun

Jim Lee is gonna keep reusing that 90s jacket for the rest of his life
Bomber jackets are cruise control for cool, JC

Wonder Woman is supposed to be a sex symbol?

Yes, sex was actually supposed to be a pretty important part of Wonder Woman's character. But DC, over time, turned her into a sexless Mother Teresa. But kept the costume...for obvious reasons.

Supergirl_Action_276_1961.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love Silver Age comics?
She's so nonchalant about it too.

"I'd love to stay here and be happy with you, Brainy, but I have to go back in time to basically be my cousin's gun. Bye! xoxo"

dan2026

She didnt use her costume in every panel pre new 52. I just honestly believe her old costume is better than anything they are using now. Of course the costume doesnt fit these stories, the costume is affecting the stories being told.

Edit: I feel like I am not explaining this well as I am rushing before my laptop battery dies lol. I am not picking on you Korupt :)

I agree with you fully on this one.

Harley's costume is a case if 'If it ain't broken, why fix it?'

Her original costume just worked. It worked in cartoon form and it worked in comic form.
Then they took it away and tried to tart her up and ruined everything.

MG310

My favorite thing about the big pile of busy accessories on the WW600 costume is this quote from JMS.

Straczynski also commented on some of the classic elements that were retained.

"The bracelets are still there, but made more colorful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark. This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work ... letting her enemies know that she’s getting closer."

Why does wearing sexy clothing and not hiding your sexuality make you a slutcake? I'm not saying Wonder Woman shoukd never ever leave the house without pants or a suit, but her established outfit is pretty iconic, doesnt make her a slutcake in any way, and is aesthetically appealing.

I blame Ann Nocenti for my perceptions of Catwoman. Once she gets a good writer and a good story going, we can revisit this subject.

Got this today :D

Remender omnibus? Nice pickup. I've been meaning to buy it forever, I just haven't gotten arpund to it yet. And I really want to read it too, but other things keep coming put. :(

Informal poll, have you found yourself buying less comics from Comixology since they removed the in app store?

I buy the same amount, because I am compelled. But it is truly awful, their website is not user-friendly at all, especially from a tablet. They really should have held off on this until they completely overhauled their site. I can see how the switch could lose them sales and customers.

Filthy Slug

I blame Ann Nocenti for my perceptions of Catwoman. Once she gets a good writer and a good story going, we can revisit this subject.

Go get Kot's Secret Avengers, homie. Iknowitain'tgotnothintodowithnothin, but I have to balance out the lowest-level-writer talk with the highest.

zeeaykay

Comics are for everybody T-Shirts and Totes just went on sale, for anyone who is interested.

http://www.comicsareforeverybody.com/

Created by Jordie Bellaire and Fonografiks, colorist extraordinair and expert designer, respectively, with profits going to charity.

Plus, all your friends will think you're hip!

Right?

frye

Wonder Woman was created by a massive pervert and honestly her character sucked for a long, long, long time.

To this day she still remains almost a marginal character, sadly.
Her popularity is minimal.

Just because someone is into bondage doesn't mean they're a pervert. Marston is a pretty interesting dude.

Go get Kot's Secret Avengers, homie. Iknowitain'tgotnothintodowithnothin, but I have to balance out the lowest-level-writer talk with the highest.

Was already planning to check it out. I just forgot to pick it up while I was at the shop last week.

Also, unrelated, but I'm currently reading Wonder Woman, and while I don't mind the Greek mythology stuff, it feels like it's finally starting to wear thin. Is Superman Wonder Woman the book I should be reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom