• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleeding Cool: Zack Snyder tweets image of Batsuit and Batmobile

Other than Sandman and Promethea, what are good stories that JH Williams has worked on?

As mentioned, Batwoman is great. However, be aware that around issue 24-25, it ends rather abruptly and is finished in Batwoman Annual #2 by Marc Andreyko,

I want every single one of those DC Bombshell prints and I may be crazy enough to get them. Mera would be perfect framed in my bathroom.

Getting them shouldn't be too difficult. To my knowledge they are just buy-as-many-as-you-want variants so you can just tell your LCS that you want them instead of the normal covers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Other than Sandman and Promethea, what are good stories that JH Williams has worked on?

Seven Soldiers was pretty durn good, was one of the first books to use his newer style on too. His did a great arc of GMoz's Batman too. Chase was an old book he worked on, quite different in style but very fun to see how his style evolved.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Actually, if we're widening this to also include things JHW3's written, then EVERYONE needs to read Batman: Snow by him and Seth Fisher it's fucking amazeballs. Quitely haters will doubtless not like it because they can't appreciate good things like quality and unique art but it's stunning stuff, so playful and fun.

tim1138

I want every single one of those DC Bombshell prints and I may be crazy enough to get them. Mera would be perfect framed in my bathroom.

I particularly like the Black Canary and Hawkgirl ones.

Not gonna lie though, the Stargirl bombshell kinda creeps me out since a) she's a teenager and b) Geoff Johns initially created her in memory of his sister who died in that nasty plane crash from the 90s (TWA 800 I think).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Seven Soldiers was pretty durn good, was one of the first books to use his newer style on too. His did a great arc of GMoz's Batman too. Chase was an old book he worked on, quite different in style but very fun to see how his style evolved.

I heard Seven Soldiers requires extra knowledge of comics and it is loonier grant morrison. I looked at a synopsis and I didnt know what to make of it, so I never touched it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The anti quietly brigade is at it again .

Also boochbag detective is good ?

Surprisingly, so far, yeah. His characterizations still aren't strong enough, but the overall plot is intriguing and Batman fighting fucking Sumo in a shipping crate was awesome. Scene was set up perfectly.

Actually, if we're widening this to also include things JHW3's written, then EVERYONE needs to read Batman: Snow by him and Seth Fisher it's fucking amazeballs. Quitely haters will doubtless not like it because they can't appreciate good things like quality and unique art but it's stunning stuff, so playful and fun.

Seconded. Brilliant.

Also, I wouldn't be averse to the non stop comedy juggernaut of PSing strategically placed waves of potato chips onto that Quitely Art book cover.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I heard Sven Soldiers requires extra knowledge of comics and it is loonier grant morrison. I looked at a synopsis and I didnt know what to make of it, so I never touched it.

Yeah if you're against thinking then it is a bit of a slog.

IIRC there is only one arc from outside it which is kinda required and that would be the Morrison JLA Classified arc. Although saying that I can't remember why it mattered, maybe it tied into something else. I can't think of much other prior info it required that can't be gotten through context or thinking.

edit: sorry, I'm well bitchy today. SEE WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE DONE TO ME??

Zombine

Banned
Whoops. My bad! Yeah, I'm absolutely in love with the Wonder Woman and Black Canary myself. Sogood.gif.

Wonder Woman, Harley, Black Canary, Poision Ivy, and Mera are incredible.

If my girlfriend permits it, we are planning on having a beach/ocean theme bathroom and I would love to frame the Mera one and put it above the toilet and put the Mera Bombshell statue somewhere too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah if you're against thinking then it is a bit of a slog.

IIRC there is only one arc from outside it which is kinda required and that would be the Morrison JLA Classified arc. Although saying that I can't remember why it mattered, maybe it tied into something else. I can't think of much other prior info it required that can't be gotten through context or thinking.

edit: sorry, I'm well bitchy today. SEE WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE DONE TO ME??

Ouch

I dont have a problem with thinking. I'm just not sure what I'm suppose to be thinking about.

Cheska

Did someone already mention that iZombie is becoming a show on the CW? I love Allred's art so I was thinking of picking up the trades before the show airs in the Fall.

Zombine

Banned
Did someone already mention that iZombie is becoming a show on the CW? I love Allred's art so I was thinking of picking up the trades before the show airs in the Fall.

Ugh...don't even get me started on that trash. Let me find an article detailing the show. It's basically only iZombie in name.

Zombine

Banned
What is better? iZombie or American Vampire?

Two completely different books. They're both awesome in their own right but if I had to pick one over the other American Vampire is one of Scott Snyder's best works. Dat rafael albuquerque art is incredible.

Is the actual book series good though?

I really like the book a lot. I'm a huge fan of Mike Allred's to begin with so the story could have been crap and I wouldn't have noticed. It's worth checking out the first trade.

2nd edit: Power Girl: Power Trip just came in the mail!

The script may end up being shit but this is going to be the prettiest summer film of 2016. Poor Superman doesn't stand a chance. Henry Cavil and Supe's credits will be listed next to the guy who works the food table.

Well, I mean, Man of Steel was a visual disaster of elephantine proportions, so I doubt it will be anything impressive from a cinematography standpoint.

Looking forward to a leisurely lunch at Wayne Manor shot with handheld by someone doing wind sprints.

The script may end up being shit but this is going to be the prettiest summer film of 2016. Poor Superman doesn't stand a chance. Henry Cavil and Supe's credits will be listed next to the guy who works the food table.

I have hope that Chris Terrio will do a better job than Nolan and Goyer with his rewrite.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh wow, that second issue of the new Detective Comics is really good. The art is capullo level and it's become and honest to goodness Detective book. How was their Flash run?

Trash. Manapul's art is gorgeous, but the stories are a mess and the characters are completely flat and poorly written. Bouchebag has the single worst Rogues interpretation I've read.

tim1138

Oh wow, that second issue of the new Detective Comics is really good. The art is capullo level and it's become and honest to goodness Detective book. How was their Flash run?

Garbage. All style, no substance and a basic lack of understanding of what made the characters tick.

HK-47 said:
I heard Seven Soldiers requires extra knowledge of comics and it is loonier grant morrison. I looked at a synopsis and I didnt know what to make of it, so I never touched it.

Your loss then, it's absolutely fucking brilliant. The Shining Knight and Klarion the Witch Boy stories especially stand out for how good they were. I can't think of anything that I would consider required outside reading for it either, so don't buy into the "crazy Grant Morrison" narrative and just read it.

Zombine

Banned
I have hope that Chris Terrio will do a better job than Nolan and Goyer with his rewrite.

I just don't understand why Goyer thought it was a good thing to go from this massive space battle that did more to flesh out Krypton than any movie prior, straight into Hobo fisherman Clark and that lousy origin. I couldn't find any reason to truly care about this version of Superman. So glad I caught it for free on HBO Go.

Also, that tornado scene...

Catching up on Injustice Year Two: Kyle Rayner issue. I don't think I am going to like what is going to happen to Kyle.

Lol, nope. Didn't like that at all. God damn.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Your loss then, it's absolutely fucking brilliant. The Shining Knight and Klarion the Witch Boy stories especially stand out for how good they were. I can't think of anything that I would consider required outside reading for it either, so don't buy into the "crazy Grant Morrison" narrative and just read it.

So it works without much prior knowledge of the characters?

Filthy Slug

The Klarion chapters are my favorite. Loved the use of Grundy.

I just don't understand why Goyer thought it was a good thing to go from this massive space battle that did more to flesh out Krypton than any movie prior, straight into Hobo fisherman Clark and that lousy origin. I couldn't find any reason to truly care about this version of Superman. So glad I caught it for free on HBO Go.

Also, that tornado scene...

It doesn't help that the person with the most charisma in the entire movie is ghost dad Russell Crowe.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah it's the idea, reboots or new versions of legacy characters. Probably the only one with any real history was Zatanna. As with any comic there is bonus texture if you know the old dcu bit I thought it was quite well contained. The Mister miracle stuff is kinda a spiritual precursor to Final Crisis too.

For comparison, it's much more new reader friendly than something like Remender's X-Force and I hardly ever hear people decrying that run for being impenetrable. Folks are intimidated by Morrison I think, colours the reading.

That is particularly bad, even folks that are big fans of his have to admit that's a bad panel.

Nnnot really. It's always been one of my favorites from his New X-Men run, in context, actually. In that issue he really had some of his most fluid character work, not to mention the rad haircut he gives Emma in that issue.

It was also his first issue without the kind of inks that really tarnished the last issue of his first NXM arc. It's really a gorgeous issue.

Oh but wait, did you want to focus on .087% of the issue instead, the nose and mouth? (The eyes are pretty drastically different, considering the lack of discernible detail on the faces in that panel, the nose and mouth are the only things you could even generously consider identical).

tim1138

You literally don't need to know a thing about them. A friend of mine read it recently and the only character she had even heard of was Zatanna and she absolutely loved it.

Filthy Slug said:
The Klarion chapters are my favorite. Loved the use of Grundy.

The
Roanoke
reveal pretty much blew my mind.

Vyer

ComicGAF, give me some of your Twitter handles. I have a few of you but this twitter talk makes me realize I need more.

Mine is vyerweb

But what was your other hand touching?

25392_600.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom