• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each their own I guess. Reliably having a new issue is nice and all, but I'd prefer good writing and art anytime. I'd hate to see something I loved slowly slip into mediocrity. It definitely irks me when art becomes inconsistent, Aja reigns noticeably supreme over all of the guest artists.

I really don't give a shit about art so long as it's comprehensible, never have in the decade+ I've been reading comics. Whenever I see pages of this thread go by that are all artist talk it might as well be greek to me. No artist is worth delays like Hawkeye's or what Hitch was pulling with Ultimates when there are hundreds of perfectly serviceable cats out there that can put out a book consistently on a monthly basis.

David Aja infuriates me cause while his art is beautiful, I don't understand why it takes so long. Phil Noto, Mitch Gerads, Greg Capullo, Rafael Albuquerque, Annie Wu, Declan Shalvey, are all equally as good but they can hit the deadlines consistently.

ReAxion

To each their own I guess. Reliably having a new issue is nice and all, but I'd prefer good writing and art anytime. I'd hate to see something I loved slowly slip into mediocrity. It definitely irks me when art becomes inconsistent, Aja reigns noticeably supreme over all of the guest artists.

This.

What are we supposed to tell newcomers in two years when they ask what they should go back and read? "Well, don't go back and read Hawkeye." Guess you'll just have to miss out on what everyone agrees are great books.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I am done with that book and I'm (finally) done with Fraction too. There is nothing that irks me more than a writer consistently failing at his job. Constant delays are a slap in the face to the readership. I'm going to replace Hawkeye with a book written by someone who can be bothered to meet a deadline.

I thought I read an interview a few months ago where Fraction was saying that he was finishing up writing the last issues of Hawkeye so he could focus on other stuff. AKA he has all the writing sorted, now the art just needs to catch up. This is all based on my shoddy memory, so I could be wrong, but yeah.

But either way, reading in trades is nice when it comes to stuff like this, because I just read stuff when it's done. Wait times don't bother me at all; only the quality of the stuff matters. If literally the only reason you're done with Hawkeye is because of wait times, why not just wait for the series to be done and enjoy it through trades? Problem solved, no?

I really don't give a shit about art so long as it's comprehensible, never have in the decade+ I've been reading comics. Whenever I see pages of this thread go by that are all artist talk it might as well be greek to me. No artist is worth delays like Hawkeye's or what Hitch was pulling with Ultimates when there are hundreds of perfectly serviceable cats out there that can put out a book consistently on a monthly basis.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious. If the art doesn't mean that much to you, why do you read comics instead of normal books?

arkon

I get the Pulido look when I'm the only dude picking up Inhumans, but how can you miss out on that train wreck? It's all happening in slow motion and I don't want to miss a minute of it.

I'd rather not waste my money.

Rafa will keep us posted on any lols to be had with that title regardless.

tim1138

Hey Rafa!

new52_hawkman_action_figure_580_537165b8eaf652.64137923.jpg

diaspora

I am done with that book and I'm (finally) done with Fraction too. There is nothing that irks me more than a writer consistently failing at his job. Constant delays are a slap in the face to the readership. I'm going to replace Hawkeye with a book written by someone who can be bothered to meet a deadline.

IIRC, Fraction isn't the cause of the delay, it's the artist (Aja?).

Messi

I'm 10 ish issues from the end of Superior Spider-Man and I can only see devastation in the future of my favorite character. If it comes to the end I am expecting then I will be gutted.

Anna Maria

Owzers

I could go for a Thor OHC by aaron. FF omnibus vol 2 by hickman will be mine.

All New X-Men OHC....you'll need an omnibus to get a half decent story out of Bendis.

ElNarez

Banned
I would like to announce that I'm done with holidays because they are fucking bullshit. so I gotta wait until December for the next Christmas? What the fucking heck, can't Santa respect his audience and work, for once? If you can't handle a monthly schedule you are sub-human trash and you should be locked in a dungeon until I get my holidays ON TIME.

Anyways, here's a list:
Action Comics #31
Batman Eternal #6
Justice League United #1
New 52 Future's End #2
Superman Doomed #1
Superman Wonder Woman #8

Starlight #3
Quantum & Woody #10
Uber #13

All-New Ghost Rider #3
All-New X-Men #27
Avengers #29
Captain America #20
Captain Marvel #3
Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu #1
Deadpool #28
Iron Man #25
New Avengers #18
Secret Avengers #3
United States of Murder Inc #1
X-Force #5

tim1138

I talked to Jimmy Palmiotti on Twitter one day and he followed me. FCO also follows me and I don't know why.

Chris Burnham and Nick Pitarra both follow me, which is super cool because they are two of my favorite artists.

Clearly we are influential individuals.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So Marvel's put out the previews for the trades shipping at the end of the year:

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/TW/pdfs/CATALOGMARVEL-Sept-Dec2014.pdf

Ooh. This is cool. I'll have to look through that.
Edit: Ooh. Winter Soldier Brubaker Complete Collection TPB and Winter Soldier: The Bitter March TPB both in September. I might pick both of those up.
Quite a few other interesting books coming out as well.

Also, since it's Tuesday, there are a few things on IST I'd like to talk about:

1. Tim, you gonna get that Jack Kirby New Gods Artist Edition that came out today? (That 0% discount on IST must look very tempting.)

2. Wooo. The first Manifest Destiny TPB came out! I've been so looking forward to reading that. I'll definitely be picking that up in my next order (which won't be for a while, because I'm still serious about not buying any more books until Big Damn Sin City comes out).

3. That Golden Age Captain America omnibus that just came out is at a 55% discount... I'm not interested in it, but it makes me think that the book is very likely going to end up being one of those super cheap clearance books in time.

LttList
Action Comics #31 - I might pick up all of Doomed, I'll wait for impressions
Batman Eternal #6
Justice League Canada #1

Shutter #2
Starlight #3 - Thought this was an ongoing but it's a six issue mini.

All-New Ghost Rider #3
All-New X-Men #27
Avengers #29
Captain America #20
New Avengers #18
Secret Avengers #3
Wolverine #6
X-Force #5

tim1138

Ooh. This is cool. I'll have to look through that.
Edit: Ooh. Winter Soldier Brubaker Complete Collection TPB and Winter Soldier: The Bitter March TPB both in September. I might pick both of those up.
Quite a few other interesting books coming out as well.

Also, since it's Tuesday, there are a few things on IST I'd like to talk about:

1. Tim, you gonna get that Jack Kirby New Gods Artist Edition that came out today? (That 0% discount on IST must look very tempting.)

2. Wooo. The first Manifest Destiny TPB came out! I've been so looking forward to reading that. I'll definitely be picking that up in my next order (which won't be for a while, because I'm still serious about not buying any more books until Big Damn Sin City comes out).

3. That Golden Age Captain America omnibus that just came out is at a 55% discount... I'm not interested in it, but it makes me think that the book is very likely going to end up being one of those super cheap clearance books in time.

I will eventually, yeah. If I had remembered it came out this week, my wife probably would gotten it for me as a birthday gift (my birthday is this week). Believe me, once I do get it I will post pictures galore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom