• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hey guys, how's All-New X-Factor doing so far? Looking forward getting the tpb come July in the hopes Peter David does something out of Gambit. And Cypher. And Danger.

tim1138

The Channel 52 thing this week is a Multiversity preview and one of the images is Dr Fate standing next to Etrigan the Green Lantern. This series is going to be amazing.

Messi

What time is Comixology usually fully updated with this weeks comics? Only dc seems to be up now.

Also the futures end FCBD comic is up for free.

Hagi

What time is Comixology usually fully updated with this weeks comics? Only dc seems to be up now.

Also the futures end FCBD comic is up for free.

Marvel usually goes up 3pm UK time, DC is always up first thing in the morning.

Zombine

Banned
Hey guys, how's All-New X-Factor doing so far? Looking forward getting the tpb come July in the hopes Peter David does something out of Gambit. And Cypher. And Danger.

I remember enjoying the 4 issues or so that I read but I had to drop it because my list was getting out of control. I'd check it out.

Mafro

Really enjoying it so far, particularly his writing of Gambit. Love the art as well, David's previous X-Factor run suffered from some pretty disappointing art after the first few arcs and I hope this doesn't go the same way.

Been playing a lot of Star Trek Attack Wing which has given me that Star Trek itch. Are there any good runs of comics for it? Only read the Star Trek / Legion crossover.

Mistouze

The Channel 52 thing this week is a Multiversity preview and one of the images is Dr Fate standing next to Etrigan the Green Lantern. This series is going to be amazing.
WHERE CAN I SEE THIS?!
Really enjoying it so far, particularly his writing of Gambit. Love the art as well, David's previous X-Factor run suffered from some pretty disappointing art after the first few arcs and I hope this doesn't go the same way.
Thx for your impressions! But I'm not holding my breath on the art front at some point you know they are going to get cheap and hire less talented artists for the series.

Figured you'd be interested in that survey about points of articulation on the figures.
Yes, yes, thank you. You remember my initial worry over the CSA figures. Talon is arriving this week. Gah DC Collectibles is on fire that it is hard for meto turn them down. Already regret not getting Riddler and Deathstorm.

tim1138

WHERE CAN I SEE THIS?!

I'm too lazy to screen cap it myself so I'll just steal it from Bleeding Cool. Check out the top left corner.

IMG_0012.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Define, "out of control"; How big was your list before your own personal purge?

Oh man my list is small by comparison. When I started hitting $35 a week I had to cut back. I try to keep it to $100-120 a month.

I'll hand in my membership and go stand in the corner now. :(

tim1138

Yes, yes, thank you. You remember my initial worry over the CSA figures. Talon is arriving this week. Gah DC Collectibles is on fire that it is hard for meto turn them down. Already regret not getting Riddler and Deathstorm.

I saw the Deathstorm at my LCS, it's a cool looking figure. How'd the rest of the CSA figures turn out?

Oh man my list is small by comparison. When I started hitting $35 a week I had to cut back. I try to keep it to $100-120 a month.

I'll hand in my membership and go stand in the corner now. :(

Nah that's pretty legit. I mean, it's not Rafa level dedication, but not everyone can afford that like he can.

I think I'm around $30-35 a week myself.

Zombine

Banned
Nah that's pretty legit. I mean, it's not Rafa level dedication, but not everyone can afford that like he can.

I think I'm around $30-35 a week myself.

My biggest admitted weakness in my list are DC pulls. As a person I am impartial toward the big two and read what I consider to be "quality" books, but my list does lean heavily Marvel/Vertigo/image and DC goes primarily unnoticed. I've read the greats so I'm not lacking there, but my weeklies and monthlies on the DC end are lacking. The GF has called me out on it and would like me to pull more on that end because she hates marvel.

Any suggestions? I'm already pulling harley, and I've been trade waiting Green Arrow.

Mistouze

I'm too lazy to screen cap it myself so I'll just steal it from Bleeding Cool. Check out the top left corner.
Even better than Green Lantern Etrigan (which is pretty rad TBH), mah boy Nix Uotan front and center. It's a Final Crisis reunion.

My biggest admitted weakness in my list are DC pulls. As a person I am impartial toward the big two and read what I consider to be "quality" books, but my list does lean heavily Marvel/Vertigo/image and DC goes primarily unnoticed. I've read the greats so I'm not lacking there, but my weeklies and monthlies on the DC end are lacking. The GF has called me out on it and would like me to pull more on that end because she hates marvel.

Any suggestions? I'm already pulling harley, and I've been trade waiting Green Arrow.

Are these pulls for you or for her? Or both?

Without knowing for sure, I'd say these (outside of what you mentioned) are universally worth it:

Batman (Start at beginning)
Batgirl
Batwoman (Start at beginning)
Detective Comics (Start at #30)
Action Comics
Superman / Wonder Woman
Batman / Superman
Wonder Woman (Start at beginning)
Red Lanterns
Earth 2 (Start at beginning)
Injustice (Start at beginning)

Zombine

Banned
Are these pulls for you or for her? Or both?

Both! She's definitely intrigued by Red Lanterns. Soule's run begins like issue #23 or so...Right?

Batman we read up to two issues into Year Zero and the prices started killing us.

Read Simone's Batgirl up until after Death of The Family

Pulling Futures End

Loves Catwoman :(

And Superman/Wonder Woman looks so damn pretty.

I'll have to pull one or all of what you suggested and I'll let her make the final decision.

Edit: Holy shit I keep on forgetting to Pull Detective Comics. That art is ridiculously amazing.

tim1138

Both! She's definitely intrigued by Red Lanterns. Soule's run begins like issue #23 or so...Right?

Batman we read up to two issues into Year Zero and the prices started killing us.

Pulling Futures End

I'll have to pull one or all of what you suggested and I'll let her make the final decision.

Edit: Holy shit I keep on forgetting to Pull Detective Comics. That art is ridiculously amazing.

Add Aquaman to that list, its been the most consistently good book since the N52 started.

Based on that I'd probably suggest, if you wanted to keep it at say, three more pulls:

Detective Comics (#30)
Superman / Wonder Woman (#1+)
Red Lanterns (#21+)

And yeah, forgot Aquaman. It's great and has a lot of page time for Mera too.

Zombine

Banned
Add Aquaman to that list, its been the mist consistently good book since the N52 started.

Begin with the 52 Johns trades?

Green Lanterns sort of fell off when he left the book too, right?

I'm getting this weird bonus thing at work so I'll have a shit ton or cash to kill on trades/omni's/absolutes.

Edit: The only money I won't spend on DC stuff is what I'm putting aside for the Sandman Omnibus vol. 1 & 2, and the Harley statue that's coming out this fall.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Frank Quitely x Charlton comics is what I can't stop staring at.

tim1138

I'm getting this weird bonus thing at work so I'll have a shit ton or cash to kill on trades/omni's/absolutes.

Yeah for Aquaman start with vol 1 and stay with it. Unlike Green Lantern, Aquaman hasn't skipped a beat since Johns left, Jeff Parker is doing great stuff on it.

Some people here don't like the direction for the Green Lantern stuff post Johns but I actually like it.

New Guardians became the space adventures of Kyle, Carol and a bunch of blue gnomes who've been stuck in a room for a billion years. Lots of pulpy Sci if adventure.

Red Lanterns is the crazy awesome book that it's become.

Green Lantern / Corps is dealing with a universe that now hates the Green Lanterns and the Durlan/Khund/Claan Alliance trying to destroy them.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah for Aquaman start with vol 1 and stay with it. Unlike Green Lantern, Aquaman hasn't skipped a beat since Johns left, Jeff Parker is doing great stuff on it.

That's amazing to hear. Once I get my Berserk package from them I'll probably get $50 worth of Aquaman.

Oh and the scary thing is that my $120 a month doesn't include all of the books I buy from IST. I started this hobby about 3 years or so ago and now I would say that it's more satisfying to us than games ever could be.

clockpunk

Grrrrrr - I wish IDW would show their Retail Incentive covers a decent time in advance, so that pull lists / preorders can be made appropriately.

Messi

Pulling Futures End

60352-random-pictures-thread-only-rule-keep-sfw-27492074-jpg

Forgive me for my sins. I just bought my comics digitally and saved about 20 euro sans travel money and got more books than expected.

I will continue pulling Harley Quinn, Batman and Saga physically but I'm not sure I can go back. The savings are too much.

Sorry physical gaf :(

Zombine

Banned
Saga is one of those books where when you distance yourself from Fiona Staples' incredible art it's basically Space Seinfield.

Messi

Also, if you haven't gotten the Johns Shazam trade that was the backup of Justice League, I highly recommend that one too.

You never did ask about pull list discount did you? :x

I did. He said it is a hold list and they aren't allowed to give discounts as that is the main part of their business. Selling comic books id assume. Reeked of Bullshit so I am done with them.

After his bullshit Action Comics run I'm not sure I trust Morrison to blind pull Multiversity.

I did. He said it is a hold list and they aren't allowed to give discounts as that is the main part of their business. Selling comic books id assume. Reeked of Bullshit so I am done with them.

Obviously I don't understand how it works in Europe, but in the US, that's straight bullshit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
To the surprise of no one, the Quitely stuff looks great. But (and this should come as no surprise), Kirby creations trump all in my book. And really how cool is a GL Etrigan?

That's...pretty brilliant. Green Lanterns need to say a rhyming oath, Etrigan's power comes from rhyme. Do we know which universe that's from?

ElNarez

Banned
So before the thread explodes in AW SHIT AVENGERS #29 #awshit, just wanted to get in some words about how goddamn rad X-Force #5 is and how things are coming together in a great fucking way. It's a rad day for comics. Even Future's End #2 was great.

Cetra

So after a busy as hell semester, I pick up my iPad last night and go to catch up on Green Arrow and Zero Year and ... WTF, no more in app purchases on Comixology? Lame. Effing. Shit.

Are there any alternatives out there which have the selection of Comixology and allow in app purchases?

Isak_Borg

So before the thread explodes in AW SHIT AVENGERS #29 #awshit, just wanted to get in some words about how goddamn rad X-Force #5 is and how things are coming together in a great fucking way. It's a rad day for comics. Even Future's End #2 was great.

Future's End #2 was kind of WOOF!

Is the whole Forever evil wrapped up?

Messi

So after a busy as hell semester, I pick up my iPad last night and go to catch up on Green Arrow and Zero Year and ... WTF, no more in app purchases on Comixology? Lame. Effing. Shit.

Are there any alternatives out there which have the selection of Comixology and allow in app purchases?

Just use the site on your iPad. It's better than nothing. Or use each companies app.

I've read the greats so I'm not lacking there, but my weeklies and monthlies on the DC end are lacking. The GF has called me out on it and would like me to pull more on that end because she hates marvel.

Out of the big two, I've always been a Marvel guy. But I've been gaining an appreciation for DC books lately. Especially since for the most part, they actually stuck to the $2.99 price-point.

Zombine

Banned
Pull List Of Moderate Quality & Friendship

Hellboy in hell #6
Justice League United #1
Walking dead #127
All new ghost rider #3
All new x-men #27
Captain marvel #3
Night crawler #2
Secret avengers # 3
Superman/Wonder Woman #8 (Allred Variant)

Mafro

Just use the DC app instead. It's powered by Comixology and still has in app purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom