• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Out of the big two, I've always been a Marvel guy. But I've been gaining an appreciation for DC books lately. Especially since for the most part, they actually stuck to the $2.99 price-point.

Except for Batman, which sticks to the 4.99 price-point. The Zero Year deluxe trade is going to be $120 or your first born.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That's why it got dropped on my end.

Aw, man, what I didn't mention in my hyperbole was that the book is worth every cent. This is Snyder's best Batman work since Black Mirror. And, well, don't nobody need to pimp Capullo's art, because it's just incredible.

Filthy Slug

I'm just gonna go ahead and call it Earth-Awesome. I'm sure the official name will be less impressive though.
Haha--is it bad if one of my favorite Etrigans is Cornell's from Demon Knights?

Messi

After his bullshit Action Comics run I'm not sure I trust Morrison to blind pull Multiversity.

Obviously I don't understand how it works in Europe, but in the US, that's straight bullshit.

In Europe it's straight Bullshit.

He didn't seem to care how much I bought per week so fuck him. Their loss.

Zombine

Banned
Aw, man, what I didn't mention in my hyperbole was that the book is worth every cent. This is Snyder's best Batman work since Black Mirror. And, well, don't nobody need to pimp Capullo's art, because it's just incredible.

Haha man I was actually going to continue on with my post and mention that it was so worth it. The only reason we dropped it was because it was tipping my comic buying way over budget.

Vyer

I could swear it's possible to recognize which pages of Doomed Lobdell might have written.

In any case, the rest of it was decent and I'm interested enough with this Doomsday angle to see where it goes.

The Action Comics tie in, of course, was good.

Demon Knights is a book, in hindsight, I wish I had supported. But the initial premise just seemed so dumb to me. I lumped it into "stuff I don't care about", which included Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Justice League Dark.

Filthy Slug

Demon Knights is a book, in hindsight, I wish I had supported. But the initial premise just seemed so dumb to me. I lumped it into "stuff I don't care about", which included Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Justice League Dark.

Yeah--It was a fucking great book. Basically, a Medieval Suicide Squad with an interesting team, a great writer, and some damn good art. Also, Vandal Savage was the star of the show--how could you not support this:

demon-knights-10-serpent.jpg

tim1138

Yeah--It was a fucking great book. Basically, a Medieval Suicide Squad with an interesting team, a great writer, and some damn good art. Also, Vandal Savage was the star of the show--how could you not support this:

Not at all, that was a cool book when he was on it and he wrote a great Etrigan.

And where else were you gonna get a Ystin the Shining Knight fix from?

Boogiepop

God, IDW TMNT is great. Just read the first two trades of the ongoing+the first Micro-Series volume. So many great little details and they're just nailing it. Particularly a fan of the subtle use of colors as a throw back. Also
love that they spend the first book in red before changing to the individualized colors.
And Leo's Micro-Series entry is totally a great throwback to his original individual issue. God I'm loving this series! Combined with the nice treatment of the older stuff, IDW is treating the turtles really, really well.

Edit: Just realized that this IDW run is totally on track to be the longest TMNT run (assuming we don't lump all the "classic" continuity together, which seems fair considering the Vol. 1-4 stuff all sounds to be pretty distinct anyway). I mean, assuming it doesn't look like it's about to abruptly end or anything where it is now.

Bii

Oh man my list is small by comparison. When I started hitting $35 a week I had to cut back. I try to keep it to $100-120 a month.

I'll hand in my membership and go stand in the corner now. :(

That's actually not that bad. I finally made a proper pull list at my LCS. Got 16 books on there. This doesn't include any impulse purchases when I'm there, so I'm hitting $20-$25/week.

Dalek

My account was finally verified-I can finally participate in discussion!

I've recently been reading a lot of new series, and I wanted to know what others thought of these.

GHOSTED-I really love this-the tone is great, and it's really unlike any other supernatural series I've seen. This is really what I wished Justice League Dark was more like, since the main character is very Constantine-esque.

REVIVAL-I have major problems with this book. There are some really good ideas overall, but the problem is the storytelling. There are major story structure elements that are completely ignored-the first issue drops you in the middle of this predicament, which in theory I'm fine with-but there are some important elements that are never really explained from the onset (The town is in lockdown, the specifics of what occured). This isn't the same as setting a mystery and resolving it later-the actual setting and fundamentals of the plot are glazed over-it's weird, it's like you're reading issue #2 instead of issue #1. It wasn't until about 6 issues later that it's referenced that the townspeople aren't allowed to leave-but how did that come about? What is the actual area to which they are confined? Aren't these important things to set up? Also, there are way too many characters to keep track of in a monthly series-but again overall the ideas are great-it's the execution I don't care for.

SECRET-Being from Jonathan Hickman, I was interested-but for the first few issues it's pretty dull. The past 3 issues have stepped up the pace and plot - but I read these all in one night-I can't imagine reading this from month to month and remembering what happened in the last issue.

Also-All Star Superman is the best Superman story (and the best Morrison story) and Frank Quietly is a treasure. The odd faces don't bother me.

Zombine

Banned
My account was finally verified-I can finally participate in discussion!

Also-All Star Superman is the best Superman story (and the best Morrison story) and Frank Quietly is a treasure. The odd faces don't bother me.

Welcome to the only sane comic community on the internet! It's a huge pain sitting back waiting to get verified when you wanna jump
Right in and talk.

All Star Superman is the definitive Superman story and Quietly draws the best Superman of all time.

In regards to best Morrison story? It's up there. Top 5 easily. It sits perfectly right next to Batman and Son and Invisibles.

Filthy Slug

Welcome to the only sane comic community on the internet! It's a huge pain sitting back waiting to get verified when you wanna jump
Right in and talk.

All Star Superman is the definitive Superman story and Quietly draws the best Superman of all time.

In regards to best Morrison story? It's up there. Top 5 easily. It sits perfectly right next to Batman and Son and Invisibles.

Flex Mentallo gotta sit up in the throneroom somewhere.

Filthy Slug

You should probably correct that. Not only is it a great story, but its the best comic about comics and their evolution. I probably read Flex once a year.

Yeap, this is verbatim what I was going to post. It's a celebration of comics, superheroes, and the imagination.

Hagi

Is there a good jumping on point for Green Lantern? I loved the book up until Brightest Day and I'd like to get back into it if it's good.

On a somewhat related note i really wish DC would do something like Marvel Unlimited. I'd sub the shit out of it.

zeeaykay

Anybody here read Black Summer?
Just bought it. I was pretty hooked right away, finished it quickly.
The art is unreal. Juan José Ryp is phenomenal!
Thanks to your post and looking into it I have to check this out. Seems a bit odd I haven't seen this mentioned with all the Ellis love that was going around with the Planetary omnibus that released.

Have you read Ellis' other stuff? How does it compare? If my store has it stocked when I pick up my comics today I''ll nab it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks to your post and looking into it I have to check this out. Seems a bit odd I haven't seen this mentioned with all the Ellis love that was going around with the Planetary omnibus that released.

Have you read Ellis' other stuff? How does it compare? If my store has it stocked when I pick up my comics today I''ll nab it.

I thought Black Summer was OK - maybe it was publisher snobbery but it didn't feel as well-thought-out as his work usually does to me. Ryp is an interesting artist too - so much stuff on the page and yet i doesn't stick with you like Darrow or Quitely or the other touchstones for his style. I'm always fairly surprised he hasn't done more mainstream work outside of the ghetto pubs though.

Not a patch on Planetary or Transmet though.

Dalek

Is there a good jumping on point for Green Lantern? I loved the book up until Brightest Day and I'd like to get back into it if it's good.

On a somewhat related note i really wish DC would do something like Marvel Unlimited. I'd sub the shit out of it.

I recently read the entire Geoff Johns Green Lantern saga for the first time-and it was amazing. You have to start from the beginning. I know it's a lot, and it took me a long time but it's so worth it. That being said-when he finally left the title, everything turned to shit in my opinion. I can barely follow the plot now it's so boring and dull. Everything that made the series special with Johns is just completely absent now. But believe me-read the entire Johns saga from start to finish.

EDIT: I just realized you said you got to Brightest Day-just pick back up from there. Everything pays off in the final storyline with The First Lantern.

All-New Ghost Rider #3 was awesome. I love everything about this book. The art is incredible. Felipe Smith writes a very entertaining East Los Angeles. Finally got to see the mystery unfold too and I liked it. This might be my favorite Marvel book.

Filthy Slug

All-New Ghost Rider #3 was awesome. I love everything about this book. The art is incredible. Felipe Smith writes a very entertaining East Los Angeles. Finally got to see the mystery unfold too and I liked it. This might be my favorite Marvel book.
You lost me there.

Zombine

Banned
$60 at the store today. I'm going to get in trouble today but it's one of the few times in my life I've ever had a "yolo" moment.

Edit: add flex to that list. Ordered.

Hagi

I recently read the entire Geoff Johns Green Lantern saga for the first time-and it was amazing. You have to start from the beginning. I know it's a lot, and it took me a long time but it's so worth it. That being said-when he finally left the title, everything turned to shit in my opinion. I can barely follow the plot now it's so boring and dull. Everything that made the series special with Johns is just completely absent now. But believe me-read the entire Johns saga from start to finish.

EDIT: I just realized you said you got to Brightest Day-just pick back up from there. Everything pays off in the final storyline with The First Lantern.

Yeah by and large i really did not enjoy Blackest Night and got through like half of Brightest Day before dropping that like a stone. I might pick up the collected First Lantern stuff and see whats what.

I read Futures End #2 and thought it was okay. Didn't really enjoy it as much as #1 but seeing as it's weekly that's not such a big deal. Mr Terrific is exactly how you would expect someone with that name to be lol Hopefully the next issue is more Terry.

I see they are dropping a few hints towards what i presume will be the next big thing as well. Sounds interesting.

Except for Batman, which sticks to the 4.99 price-point. The Zero Year deluxe trade is going to be $120 or your first born.

I won't fault DC for picking a few of their big titles to slap a $3.99 price on... I'm surprised Image hasn't done that with TWD and Invincible. What annoys me is how now every new Marvel book is Marvel "drawing the line at $3.99." At least until they want to start charging $4.99 per book, which I'm sure will happen. They did that with the first two issues of Original Sin. Once they get there, I'll be 100% trade-waiting Marvel books (except maybe X-men books, because OMG I love X-men. But only All-New and Uncanny).

I loved Demon Knights. Probably one of the most interesting premises out of the entire New 52.

You should probably correct that. Not only is it a great story, but its the best comic about comics and their evolution. I probably read Flex once a year.

I have to admit I've never read the entire thing. I got maybe a third of the way through before I was like "What the fucking fuck am I reading?" and stopped. I should probably give it another shot, but Morrison is a writer I just may not "get" unless he's writing an established franchise like Batman or X-Men.

I love We3, but every time I read it my allergies seem to act up and I get dust in my eyes...

Those aren't allergies. Those are......feels.

Gonna go pick up my pull and see if my local comic shop wants me to sign any of the Puppycat comics they got in. If you're in the LA area near Burbank and you want a signed Bee & Puppycat comic check out House of Secrets on Olive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom