• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Since I've literally begun reading Uncanny Xmen from the very beginning(my plan is to read the most important/best issues from now all the way up to the Marvel NOW release of Uncanny) I decided to write up some impressions of what I've read so far.

Claremont era Uncanny Xmen impressions:

Giant Size Xmen #1 + Unncanny #94 - #99 - Most definitely the weakest in the series. Although it's cool seeing how the second generation of Xmen came to be, many of the issues inbetween aren't that great as it's just the xmen facing random non-memorable foe after random non-memorable foe. Issue 98 is the exception with the banter between Xmen and fighting the sentinels for the first time as a team being a highlight. 6/10

#100 - 114(AKA phoenix saga) - This is where uncanny begins to pick up steam and Claremont shows his skills as a writer. The team becomes more fleshed out(wolverine actually begins to have a personality) and enemies start to become more interesting. Of course the introduction of Phoenix is great and seeing her tear shit up, but at the same time be scared of her powers was a great read. 7.5/10

#115 - 121 - Once again uncanny falls a bit. These issues aren't too special, with xavier thinking the Xmen are dead when they have really gone to the savage land. I was really into the Savage Land as a kid, simply because of the 90's Xmen cartoon, but these issues showed how dull the Savage Land really is. Garrok isn't that good of a villain and isn't fleshed out that well. Outside of that you got some more Sunfire stuff, that isn't that interesting to read and you end up with an average at best collection of issues. 6.5/10

122 - 128 - (skipped)

#129 - 138(AKA Dark Phoenix Saga) - Here Is where Uncanny really shows its fangs and doesn't let up. Dark Phoenix saga is great with great dialogue between characters and further fleshing out of the new Xmen. The solo Wolverine issue is awesome and of course the unleashing of Dark Phoenix is great as well. The end sorta brings up amoral dilemma with the reader as you think whether to condemn Jean for her actions she caused or dismiss them.(as much as I love Phoenix, Jean had to pay for that shit) Absolutely not to be missed. 10/10

#139 - 143(Days of Future Past) - err, well, really only issues 141 - 142 are part of Days of Future Past, but since the TPB's contian these issues this is what im gonna roll with.(and it means less writing for me) As good as DPS is, DFP is better to me. Straightforward, dark and gritty. Both issues dont let up and paint a pretty damning picture of what could have happened to mutant last year.(2013 is when it takes place heheh) 142 especially is a highlight with the last few xmen trying for one last time to bring the fight to their oppressors....only to fail. Great, great stuff. 10/10

144 - 153
(skipped)

#154 - 167(Brood Saga)
- Another great collection of issues featuring intergalactic earwigs trying to take over the universe. These things can speak English for whatever reason, but who the fuck cares? xmen get infected, people go crazy, and everyone fights in the inside of giant space whales. What's not to like? Claremont brings his A game here again, with great dialogue and another great solo wolverine issue. Only low to this would be the annoying moral battle Cyclops, Storm, and the rest of the Xmen(sans Wolverine, because hes the only motherfucker that actually has common sense) have toward killing giant space bigs that want nothing more than to kill everyone and implant your ass with an egg so it can hatch inside you Alien style. (well not really, but imma just say that anyway). 9/10

#168 - 173(including Wolverine #1 - 4) - Xmen go to Japan, Rogue joins the team, and Wolverine does some badass samurai shit in his solo limited series. These issues are tight once again, with plenty of action, dialogue and solo character fleshing out done masterfully by Claremont. Nothing really more to say here other than Ninjas, ninjas, ninjas. Oh, and, of course Wolverine can never get the girl. 10/10

#174 - 176(Return of Phoenix) - Alright. Reading this for the first time I was downright disappointed because of what is constantly teased. Just when you think it's gonna be delivered, you find out it was never there at all. It may be decent, do not be fooled, this aint Phoenix coming back from the dead. 6.5/10

177 - 185
(skipped)

187 - 197(skipped)

#186, 198(Lifedeath I + II) -
some of my favourite issues so far, Lifedeath I and II features no fighting and all dialogue. This is a solo storm story about her lost powers, coping, and the man that helped take them away. There actually isnt much justice I can give to these issues without you reading them for yourself, it's just beautifully done. Add in the absolutely amazing art and you got a complete keeper 10/10

#199 - 209
- another great run of issues by Claremont. Here we see the introduction of Lady Deathstrike(complete with awesome artwork by Barry Windsor-Smith), Wolverine layin down the law to Rachel Summers and Nimrod goin HAM on every mutant he sees. issues 205 and 207 are definitely the highlights here and should not be missed. Only low part to this collection is Claremonts rather odd fascination with pairing up the adult Colossus with the 14 year old Kitty. Seems like Colossus secretly wants to get hit with that stat rape charge, and all the xmen want him to as well.(they legit hate on him for saying no to going out with her....dafuk) 8.5/10

#210 - 214(mutant massacre) - great run of issues(except 214). You get to see Sabretooth for the first time and man is it good. The fight between him and wolverine is epic as hell and not to be missed. You also see Claremont finally stop it with the moral dilemmas the xmen(sans wolverine again) keep having with killing pieces of shit that want nothing more than to kill as many people as possible. This event pretty much forces the stupid out of most of the Xmen, and makes one of them finally take matters into his own hands. Uncanny also begins to turn rather dark like DFP with scores of people being killed left and right. 8/10

#220 - 227(Fall of the Mutants) *Currently reading

#232 - 234(Brood Saga II) - The second brood saga is not only much shorter, it's also much weaker than the first. Although I liked the fact that the whole moral dilemma over killing space bugs was removed, it was a little odd that the Xmen were completely fine with killing civilians in the process. I would have thought that even with Mutant Massacre behind them, they would still try and see if there was some way to sure the people that were infected, but they gut em anyway. All in all, it was decent and you got two rad covers (232 and 234) to boot. 7/10

I find delays weird. Though that's probably because I work in an art field that doesn't have delays. The most I've ever seen a deadline get pushed is like 12 - 24 hours. That's only on SUPER RARE occasions. So it's weird to me to see 4 - 6 month delays on books. I don't think it makes me want to drop anything, though it is frustrating when you're aching to see how a story continues.

I actually find delays on tv related things to kill my interest more. Venture Bros is a prime example, between the change in what the show was when it started to what it became, and them taking years to produce 10 episodes I've lost any and all interest in it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
The comics I will be going through soon are Preacher and Lucifer. I like angel things!

Comic gaf, are there other angel comics you know of that I need to read?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The comics I will be going through soon are Preacher and Lucifer. I like angel things!

Comic gaf, are there other angel comics you know of that I need to read?

There is a book from the late 90s called Crimson that you might enjoy, very religious based, ambitious story.

Sadist

Uncanny Avengers Annual #1

Okay, haha, what? That was strange and weird. Drunk Wolverine and Thor is great.

Amazing Spider-Man #1

Grinned through the entire thing. Spider-Woman and MJ comments are the best.

Since I've literally begun reading Uncanny Xmen from the very beginning(my plan is to read the most important/best issues from now all the way up to the Marvel NOW release of Uncanny) I decided to write up some impressions of what I've read so far. ]

Great write-up. I've been doing something similar except I plan to stop reading every issue with the end of Claremont's run and then just cherry pick a few things after that. I've now read every Claremont issue through 231 as well as New Mutants and X-Factor. I've stopped New Mutants with the end of Claremont's run and will probably stop X-Factor after Inferno.

You skipped some quality issues in there IMO. 150 is quite good and is really the beginning of Magneto becoming a truly fleshed out character. And there is a lot of really good stuff from 180-200 that really makes later payoffs in Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants that much better.

If you haven't seen them already I really recommend Jason Powell's issue by issue analysis of Clarement's entire run. Teebore's issue by issue analysis of the all of the X-Books is also really good but it's a significant time investment to read and he's up through FotM at this is point while Powell's anlalysis is complete.

http://geoffklock.blogspot.com/2009/05/jason-powell-on-uncanny-x-men-222.html- Random Link to Powell's analysis of UXM 222. I don't know of a master index for all issues. I just google them individually.
http://www.therealgentlemenofleisure.com/2014/04/x-amining-uncanny-x-men-231.html Teebore's X-Aminations

kmfdmpig

Yeah, I use Perfect Viewer for CBRs and basically turn my tablet sideways and scroll down the page. It's not perfect (harr harr) but it works.

Even 10 inch tablets aren't large enough to read a comic natively, are they?

The resolution makes a big difference. I use the Nook hd+ and read in portrait mode. A larger, but lower resolution Touchpad couldn't do that well.

Tizoc

Ah it's good to be back on the space spelunking escapades of the Lost Light~
...and now they have their own newsletter!
Also this
0mQ8oKb.jpg

...and Turbofoxes can be 'in heat'?

Hellers

Does anyone know if you can get the free comic day stuff digitally through apps like Comixology or the Dark Horse app for example?

Isak_Borg

Does anyone know if you can get the free comic day stuff digitally through apps like Comixology or the Dark Horse app for example?

Nope, FCBD is an initiative to get folks into comic shops and don't think there will be that many FCBD titles released digitally this weekend.

Owzers

i know dark horse has offered theirs for free before as have the Atomic Robo issues on comixology. ^^^ maybe not this week though

Since I've literally begun reading Uncanny Xmen from the very beginning(my plan is to read the most important/best issues from now all the way up to the Marvel NOW release of Uncanny) I decided to write up some impressions of what I've read so far.

144 - 153
(skipped)

177 - 185
(skipped)

187 - 197(skipped)

Great write-up. I've been doing something similar except I plan to stop reading every issue with the end of Claremont's run and then just cherry pick a few things after that. I've now read every Claremont issue through 231 as well as New Mutants and X-Factor. I've stopped New Mutants with the end of Claremont's run and will probably stop X-Factor after Inferno.

You skipped some quality issues in there IMO. 150 is quite good and is really the beginning of Magneto becoming a truly fleshed out character. And there is a lot of really good stuff from 180-200 that really makes later payoffs in Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants that much better.

If you haven't seen them already I really recommend Jason Powell's issue by issue analysis of Clarement's entire run. Teebore's issue by issue analysis of the all of the X-Books is also really good but it's a significant time investment to read and he's up through FotM at this is point while Powell's anlalysis is complete.

http://geoffklock.blogspot.com/2009/05/jason-powell-on-uncanny-x-men-222.html- Random Link to Powell's analysis of UXM 222. I don't know of a master index for all issues. I just google them individually.
http://www.therealgentlemenofleisure.com/2014/04/x-amining-uncanny-x-men-231.html Teebore's X-Aminations

Yeah, what he said. There's some very good stuff in those skipped issues, particularly the Romita ones, where the mutant metaphor is more prominent and it becomes more of a "slice of life" chapter progression instead of the big traditional story arcs.

Hellers

Nope, FCBD is an initiative to get folks into comic shops and don't think there will be that many FCBD titles released digitally this weekend.

Shame. I'm not driving all that way just to pickup a few throwaway comics. I fancied reading Future's End #0 too.

Isak_Borg

Shame. I'm not driving all that way just to pickup a few throwaway comics. I fancied reading Future's End #0 too.

I *MIGHT* be wrong but who knows.

I'm sure they'll be released digitally eventually but I think FCBD is a really important initiative to keep mom & pop comic shops alive. LCS are the heart of the industry and I like that there is a day everyone congregates at the comic shop and just gets back to what is important, which is enjoying the fuck out of comics.

Mindwipe

At least some of the IDW ones have been put up later in previous years. But yeah, I imagine they're not going up straight away.

Hellers

I *MIGHT* be wrong but who knows.

I'm sure they'll be released digitally eventually but I think FCBD is a really important initiative to keep mom & pop comic shops alive. LCS are the heart of the industry and I like that there is a day everyone congregates at the comic shop and just gets back to what is important, which is enjoying the fuck out of comics.

Oh yeah. I completely understand the rationale. My only two nearby comic shops are in places that are a complete pain to get to. One is in the town I used to work in. I pretty much switched to digital when I got a new job in a town that doesn't have one :) I even switched my 2000AD and Megazine subs over to the iPad app once I lost access to the only shops I could buy physical copies in.

I might have made the trip but to be honest it'd only be worth it if there was something else I wanted to do there but sadly this weekend there isn't.

Also my two comic stores are the two different Forbidden Planets brands so it's less mom & pop and more "Pretty expensive" :) Great staff in one of them though. Arseholes in the other.

I haven't read much of my stuff this week yet but I enjoyed the Flash a lot. Loved the blue costume. I've been spending a chunk of time reading some stuff I bought in Comixology. I like the idea of the weekly Digital firsts.

Iron Patriot is Kot's best book. So glad he jnderstand show not tell. Roberson on yhe other hand still hasn't learned this lesson. Sovereign reads like an encyclopedia. Brah should be writing lore for pen and paper games not comics......

Vyer

It was nice of Comixology to kick off their own initiative to get more people back into comic shops last month.

ElNarez

Banned
Iron Patriot is Kot's best book. So glad he jnderstand show not tell. Roberson on yhe other hand still hasn't learned this lesson. Sovereign reads like an encyclopedia. Brah should be writing lore for pen and paper games not comics......

Reading the CBR reviews for Iron Patriot is fucking murdering me because holy shit this book is actually great and they keep saying wrong bullshit that is not real.

Onemic

Thanks for the links. I'll check out those earlier issues as well since they're worth getting. It just means more money for comixology hehe. I think it'll probably take me at least a year to get through all of uncanny and the other xbooks. Currently planning on reading Xmen vol.2, Xforce vol.1-3, New Xmen, Age of Apocalypse, Astonishing Xmen and the major events like Messiah Complex and House of M. I heard the Xmen legacy run is sorta shit, so I'll probably skip it and go straight to Schism.

Hellers

Thanks for the links. I'll check out those earlier issues as well since they're worth getting. It just means more money for comixology hehe. I think it'll probably take me at least a year to get through all of uncanny and the other xbooks. Currently planning on reading Xmen vol.2, Xforce vol.1-3, New Xmen, Age of Apocalypse, Astonishing Xmen and the major events like Messiah Complex and House of M. I heard the Xmen legacy run is sorta shit, so I'll probably skip it and go straight to Schism.

Why not get a Marvel Unlimited sub? It's not as nice an app but the price is a bargain

Onemic

Why not get a Marvel Unlimited sub? It's not as nice an app but the price is a bargain

My problem with Marvel Unlimited is that I don't get to keep the issues I read. It's just like a really long rental. I wouldn't mind if I already read most of these issues before, but I haven't and I feel like, especially with Claremonts run, that I'd want to come back to these issues at some point in time.

CBR is a terrible review site.

Always has been.

I've actually read reviews where a reviewer jumps in the middle of an arc, admits they have not been keeping up with the book, and criticizes things for being "unclear".

You're not about to shit on the man that wrote Starman...I'm tellin you that right damn now

Always has been.

I've actually read reviews where a reviewer jumps in the middle of an arc, admits they have not been keeping up with the book, and criticizes things for being "unclear".

Read the Sinestro #1 review. That reads a one long litany of WTF?

Some reviewers, if you look at their review history, are clearly jaded by anything superhero and shouldn't review anything but Image comics.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I read Identity Crisis and uh...

people sure acted weird in that one. Way out of character, it seemed.

My LCS has had problems in the past with greedy people on FCBD, so this year, they just had regulars email a list of the books they wanted. And that's all they ordered.

So I read Identity Crisis and uh...

people sure acted weird in that one. Way out of character, it seemed.

That's partly the point. It's supposed to show that the happy cheery Silver Age wasn't as simple and goody two shoes as you were led to believe. Underneath the polished exterior, there was some messed up stuff going on.

*shrug* Eh, I liked it.

Always has been.

You're not about to shit on the man that wrote Starman...I'm tellin you that right damn now
Chris Roberson did not write starman brah.

Onemic

You know, thinking about it again, I might just go with the sub after the Inferno arc....How is the app compared to comixology? Can you read stuff according to series and story arc or is it more limited? Is it online only?

Well, I AM making the 2+ hour trip tomorrow to meet Scott Snyder, James Tynion, Mark Waid and Chris Samnee tomorrow. My wife is coming along also now. I'm fucking excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom