• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Hey if any of you guys see Bee & PuppyCat #1 on the shelves at your comic shops can you snap a picture for me? Since my store was out when I got there I didn't get the chance to see my first published work on a shelf with all the other comics :(

Not a great one, blame the California sun! But either way, congrats!! Bought a copy myself :)
MpveMM8.jpg

I may be late to this, but I'm loving Warren Ellis's Moon Knight. I didn't mind Bendis's take on him (really like the wolverine/cap/spidey idea), but this is fantastic.

ElNarez

Banned
Secret Avengers #3 was absolutely perfect. I was smiling ear to ear while reading it.
SpiderWoman talking to Vladamir the bomb had me rolling
. This book is like the other side of Hawkeye. We never get to see Hawkeye do avenger stuff in his solo series. So it's pretty great to get to see that here in the same style with some great jokes. I love the entire crew. Recommended.

I like that while being hella goofy there's telltale signs it's still an Ales Kot book, meaning it's going to namecheck Jacques Derrida in there and it's going to expect you to get it when he shouts "YOLO".

Messi

Wait, we finally have a comic superstar posting here?

Finally.

Rafa spent too much time living that Walmart lifestyle ,lusting over dat Baja Blast.

fauxtrot

Banned
Anyone read Hellboy in Hell #6 yet? I can't wait to get off of work... it's a shame there aren't more Mignola fanboys like me here! Speaking of which, I'm going to Big Wow this weekend in San Jose and hopefully will be coming home with some original art from the issue. It'll be the most I've ever spent on anything comic related.

Also, I'm looking forward to the Waking Dead #127 (after the disappointing All Out War) and I'm trying not to crack and read any of the spoiler tags but y'all are making it tough!

Zombine

Banned
Also, I'm looking forward to the Waking Dead #127 (after the disappointing All Out War) and I'm trying not to crack and read any of the spoiler tags but y'all are making it tough!

All Out War was rushed as hell. This is a return to form and it gives that event purpose. I absolutely loved it and it's the happiest I've been since #100.

Thought Batman Eternal was good. You coulda really tell the script was by Ray Fawkes. Read like one of his Dark books. I really like the idea that the story is incorporating the supernatural of Gotham City. I see the reviews for the last few issues and I get the complaints but then I don't. Were 6 weeks into a weekly, so 6/52. I am loving that in 6 issues, they are building up tension from so many angles that you don't know where that tension is going to burst first. There is a mystery brewing and there is so many moving parts working on it. People say the Batverse didn't need a weekly, I don't think it's hurting it. I'm still excited.

multivac

So did anyone jump onto Superman: Doomed? I read Action Comics and Superman/Wonder Woman, and anxiously await them every month, but they're tied into this Scott Lobdell event now and I'm scared and confused :(

Thought Batman Eternal was good. You coulda really tell the script was by Ray Fawkes. Read like one of his Dark books. I really like the idea that the story is incorporating the supernatural of Gotham City. I see the reviews for the last few issues and I get the complaints but then I don't. Were 6 weeks into a weekly, so 6/52. I am loving that in 6 issues, they are building up tension from so many angles that you don't know where that tension is going to burst first. There is a mystery brewing and there is so many moving parts working on it. People say the Batverse didn't need a weekly, I don't think it's hurting it. I'm still excited.

You know, I am enjoying Batman Eternal, but I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it enough to warrant a purchase every week.

In other news, Loki: Agents of Asgard continues to be fantastic. Make me want to track down the rest of Gillen's JiM run.

ElNarez

Banned
You know, I am enjoying Batman Eternal, but I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it enough to warrant a purchase every week.

In other news, Loki: Agents of Asgard continues to be fantastic. Make me want to track down the rest of Gillen's JiM run.

Do that, get your heart broken, then move on to Young Avengers and get your heart broken again. It's fun times. This is why I'm probably the only one in Comics-GAF to still give a fuck about Iron Man, because holy shit I'm swimming in goodwill for Gillen like I'm Scrooge McDuck over here.

Also, seriously, guys, X-Force #5. Guys. Seriously.

Messi

Gah, Anna Maria. I hope we see more of her. But I don't see how there is a positive outcome for her going forward. Such a crapshoot for her.

Superior Spider-man was fantastic by the way.

Do that, get your heart broken, then move on to Young Avengers and get your heart broken again. It's fun times. This is why I'm probably the only one in Comics-GAF to still give a fuck about Iron Man, because holy shit I'm swimming in goodwill for Gillen like I'm Scrooge McDuck over here.

Also, seriously, guys, X-Force #5. Guys. Seriously.

I can't do Land art. Just can't. Doesn't help how slow Iron Man started out.

In other news, why is Joker's Daughter a thing? Who thought this was a good idea?

I can't do Land art. Just can't. Doesn't help how slow Iron Man started out.

In other news, why is Joker's Daughter a thing? Who thought this was a good idea?

They are building her up only for the Joker to come back and slaughter her........I hope.

"Gimme my face back *#~+=!" SLICE "hehehehehehehahahahahah"

Vibranium

Banned
Secret Avengers #3 was absolutely perfect. I was smiling ear to ear while reading it.
SpiderWoman talking to Vladamir the bomb had me rolling
. This book is like the other side of Hawkeye. We never get to see Hawkeye do avenger stuff in his solo series. So it's pretty great to get to see that here in the same style with some great jokes. I love the entire crew. Recommended.

If Ales makes Fury Junior a villain, let me know and I will pick up the book again. Nobody cares about him so he might as well take advantage of that. I love Hawkeye, Spider-Woman, MODOK and Black Widow but I feel SHIELD drags them down. I feel bad that I wasn't liking it a ton though. If it wasn't $3.99, I maybe would have stayed longer.

Zero is still untouchable and I want Kot to write Winter Soldier so badly, I feel he would really shine with Bucky.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I stopped at Iron Man #15. When does it start getting good?

Capullo is mediocre.

Was.
In the '90s.

Owzers

I am going to assume that all this catwoman/wonder woman/potato face talk has made me lose interest in comics and that's why i'm not reading anything lately. That or the nba playoffs...and the potato stuff.

You're ruining everything.

Futures End really had wonderful art. Really compliments the cover by Sook. It's almost like "Oh is this all one big painted cover or oh no it's actually the interior art OH I HAD NO IDEA."

Anyone read Hellboy in Hell #6 yet? I can't wait to get off of work... it's a shame there aren't more Mignola fanboys like me here! Speaking of which, I'm going to Big Wow this weekend in San Jose and hopefully will be coming home with some original art from the issue. It'll be the most I've ever spent on anything comic related.

It was amazing.

Power Rangers FCBD Issue: Well, that was cheesy and terrible and I loved it. Also, the art was really decent, though the characters didn't look like the real-world actors. It was a neat one-off.
The United States of Murder Inc. #1: Comic of the month so far. Wow. That art. That exposition. That style. Them characters. Did I mention the style? It was good. Damn good.
X-Men: No More Humans: My first full X-Men story, and it was great! I mean, some parts were a bit confusing, but it was a really enjoyable read. Cyclops is a huge jerk, though.

Edit:
Secret Avengers #1-3:Never judge books by their terrible covers. This series is great and funny and interesting and great. GAF wasn't wrong.

Just read Action and Supes/WW and this Doomed storyline has been one of the coolest Supes stories I have ever read. All 3 books have had AMAZING art. Tony Daniel absolutely killed it. Not only a good Supes story but great writing of Wonder Woman. Even the cameos are great.

Supes/WW
Loved the scene at Clark's apartment and Batman comes in and Diana tells Bruce she's got this and Bruce insist and she turns around with great authority and Bruce is like ok.....later.

I'm considering buying the first volume of the following trades. I've never read any of these series:

Saga
East of West
The Manhattan Projects

Only cause of the critical acclaim they get. I pretty much know nothing about them. What other trades should I look into? I prefer current ongoings not in danger of cancelation. Also, why they are awesome. Nothing too enmeshed in the major DC or Marvel universes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom