• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Avengers #29
Did Cap realize he was using the time gem? What happened there?

Picked this up on a whim. Avengers #29.

14002808218_bd09eb515b_o.jpg

I haven't been following Avengers since Infinity and I haven't read Original Sin #0/#1 and this issue takes place after Original Sin #2, which releases next week...so, why the hell not? Let's give it a read and get right to it. Anyone else feel that the art/paneling was a mess? Take a look at this two-page spread filled with talking heads. It almost made me want to put the book down; it's such an eyesore. https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2920/14166312256_d33ec6eddf_o.jpg Oh, and there's an over usage of shadows. It was difficult to make out the details of the art in some parts.

Pacing and character development seems to be all over the place. Captain America's actions were very uncharacteristic of what I thought I knew of him. I guess he's all about punching people in the face now.

14002819950_8b1c4d08b5_o.jpg
14166312216_85a427f91a_o.jpg

On the bright side, there are some cool moments such as the reveal on the last page. It makes you wonder what has taken place prior to what is being shown. There's also that moment when
Cap is using the time gem? Or it seemed like he was?
And the tension that rises with each passing moment was intense. I was getting a lot of Identity Crisis-like vibes with the Illuminati.

Anyone want the Marvel digital code for this issue? First person asking for it, gets it.

I'm considering buying the first volume of the following trades. I've never read any of these series:

Saga
East of West
The Manhattan Projects

Only cause of the critical acclaim they get. I pretty much know nothing about them. What other trades should I look into? I prefer current ongoings not in danger of cancelation. Also, why they are awesome. Nothing too enmeshed in the major DC or Marvel universes.

These are all fine choices. I also suggest Zero vol 1. It's great spy stuff. I trade wait, and vol 2 is the book I'm dying to read next.

I'm considering buying the first volume of the following trades. I've never read any of these series:

Saga
East of West
The Manhattan Projects

Only cause of the critical acclaim they get. I pretty much know nothing about them. What other trades should I look into? I prefer current ongoings not in danger of cancelation. Also, why they are awesome. Nothing too enmeshed in the major DC or Marvel universes.
You just missed the Humble Bundle that had all of those! D:

Picked this up on a whim. Avengers #29.

14002808218_bd09eb515b_o.jpg

I haven't been following Avengers since Infinity and I haven't read Original Sin #0/#1 and this issue takes place after Original Sin #2, which releases next week...so, why the hell not? Let's give it a read and get right to it. Anyone else feel that the art/paneling was a mess? Take a look at this two-page spread filled with talking heads. It almost made me want to put the book down; it's such an eyesore. https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2920/14166312256_d33ec6eddf_o.jpg Oh, and there's an over usage of shadows. It was difficult to make out the details of the art in some parts.

Pacing and character development seems to be all over the place. Captain America's actions were very uncharacteristic of what I thought I knew of him. I guess he's all about punching people in the face now.

14002819950_8b1c4d08b5_o.jpg
14166312216_85a427f91a_o.jpg

On the bright side, there are some cool moments such as the reveal on the last page. It makes you wonder what has taken place prior to what is being shown. There's also that moment when
Cap is using the time gem? Or it seemed like he was?
And the tension that rises with each passing moment was intense. I was getting a lot of Identity Crisis-like vibes with the Il

Anyone want the Marvel digital code for this issue? First person asking for it, gets it.

Can I get the code please?

SRG01

I'm pretty sure that in Avengers 29 that
it wasn't current Cap that used the time gem. I have a feeling that it could've been past Cap or some other Cap that suddenly invoked it. Or perhaps a portion of Cap that got lost in the timestream and broke everything.

Wait so
Helena Bertinelli
is returning in Grayson?!
Man DC is really trying to bring me back.
Last step is Cassandra Cain, come on DC you can do it.

Man I had almost no interest in that book until I heard this.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm pretty sure that in Avengers 29 that
it wasn't current Cap that used the time gem. I have a feeling that it could've been past Cap or some other Cap that suddenly invoked it. Or perhaps a portion of Cap that got lost in the timestream and broke everything.

I think it might have been from when the time gem shattered at the start of the run, like an echo down through time. It was a bit fuzzy though. And now
another Marvel alternate future story! How many of these are going right now??

Wait so
Helena Bertinelli
is returning in Grayson?!
Man DC is really trying to bring me back.
Last step is Cassandra Cain, come on DC you can do it.

Man I had almost no interest in that book until I heard this.

Is a character with the same name but none of the history still the character you cared about?

Who is the author/writer of Superman: Doomed?
Greg Pak, Charles Soule and Scott Lobdell

------------------

Is a character with the same name but none of the history still the character you cared about?
It's been the same with Nightwing but I have hope that Seeley and King will do justice to the characters. Especially the last part of the interview where they say Richard is the fourth part of the DC trinity.

------------------

The Grayson article is an interesting read:
http://www.newsarama.com/21124-gray...k-will-carry-gun-have-a-surprise-partner.html

I like Tim Seeley and King's take on it. Still not sold on the Mikel Janin though.

------------------

Oh, can't believe I missed this! Congrats on getting your comic onto the bookshelves, WordAssassin!!

So. Anyone given the dark horse witcher comics a try? I'm tempted as hell but I'll probably wait for the collection. Other than that I'm curious what would be an awesome series to get into. I don't care to much about super heroes tbh. Hellboy and BPRD i like. Also got some walking dead going on but I want something more creative.

Zombine

Banned
So. Anyone given the dark horse witcher comics a try? I'm tempted as hell but I'll probably wait for the collection. Other than that I'm curious what would be an awesome series to get into. I don't care to much about super heroes tbh. Hellboy and BPRD i like. Also got some walking dead going on but I want something more creative.

Preacher by Garth Ennis

American Vampire by Scott Snyder

Locke & Key by Joe Hill

Sandman by Neil Gaiman

Those are recommendations that I can make based off of what it seems like your tastes may be. I'm going by the assumption that you enjoy books that are slightly dark/deal with the occult, monsters, vampires, ect.

Also, can you explain what it is you dislike about Super Hero books? If it's quality you may be reading the wrong things.

I am a big Gaiman fan so sandman might be cool. Yeah i enjoy the darker and wierd/crazy stuff. Hellblazer might be interesting in fact aswell.

As for the super hero thing. I don't know. Super heroes just weren't that big of a deal growing up as a kid in Sweden. Don't think Marvel even had things here. We probably had some Batman and Superman stuff though.

Batmans a cool guy though but I'm all batmanned out.

Zombine

Banned
As for the super hero thing. I don't know. Super heroes just weren't that big of a deal growing up as a kid in Sweden. Don't think Marvel even had things here. We probably had some Batman and Superman stuff

I figured it was some sort of situation like this. I mentioned it because there are some stellar books like Planetary that include Super Heroes in the story, but they aren't the focus. Or you get a writer like Grant Morrison,Warren Ellis, Scott Snyder, or Alan Moore who can take a Super Hero and write a compelling adult story with the character.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I am a big Gaiman fan so sandman might be cool. Yeah i enjoy the darker and wierd/crazy stuff. Hellblazer might be interesting in fact aswell.

As for the super hero thing. I don't know. Super heroes just weren't that big of a deal growing up as a kid in Sweden. Don't think Marvel even had things here. We probably had some Batman and Superman stuff though.

Batmans a cool guy though but I'm all batmanned out.

If you like Gaiman then Sandman is absolutely required reading, it's incredible.

Future's End continues to intrigue me. More teases about
"The War"
, which seemingly happened
four years ago, thus one year
into the future of the current books. Flashbacks to bearded Ollie were great. The Firestorm stuff has me interested, even if I'm still not a huge fan of the character itself.

I have two weeks left on my Marvel Unlimited subscription. What event/series should I read? (I just wrapped up Annihilation through to Thanos Imperative and all of Guardians of the Galaxy). I haven't read almost any other Marvel stuff.

That's ok man, we know you have bad taste in things. Not enough girly hijinx in it? =^.^=

[ig]http://abload.de/img/nononoo7dnz.gif[/img]

What do you like?

Pls excuse Manuel, he is from Barcelona.

dan2026

I didn't like Sandman either.

Read most of it and found it lacking and not to my taste.

Didn't help that the main character was completely unlikable.

Talked to my Comic Shop Lady. She can be so good to me. Despite being late on requesting all the Bombshell covers, she's going to make sure that I get them.

I bought all of those except Action. Do I need that to follow doomed?

Yes.

And it also has Lana and Lois in it. Or do you only like female superheroes?

But seriously. It's really good besides.

Messi

Talked to my Comic Shop Lady. She can be so good to me. Despite being late on requesting all the Bombshell covers, she's going to make sure that I get them.

Yes.

And it also has Lana and Lois in it. Or do you only like female superheroes?

But seriously. It's really good besides.

I like what I like.

Anna Maria is not super-powered and I like her. I like Lois too.

Afterlife with Archie was damn good again. Shame it's not talked about more around here. Hopefully you all pick up the trade.

Also Messi, WW's coat makes perfect sense in the context of the story. Also, get Action for the complete experience.

I like what I like.

Doomed is definitely one of those storylines that just runs through each of the books. The main difference between them is the focus or character perspective; Action Comics is alot of Lana and Lois, whereas Superman/Wonder Woman is more from Diana.

ReAxion

Are you in North San Diego County too?

Yep.

I work in Temecula. Made it down the 15 and through the 76 just before they closed. Headed out to my shop off Sycamore, made it out of there just as the San Marcos (Cocos) fire was kicking off.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yep.

I work in Temecula. Made it down the 15 and through the 76 just before they closed. Headed out to my shop off Sycamore, made it out of there just as the San Marcos (Cocos) fire was kicking off.

Ah nice. I'm in Oceanside. I hope you weren't too close to any of the fires! The mall I work at was just a couple miles away from the big Carlsbad fire so we had to be evacuated yesterday. Pretty surreal.

Also, how is that shop in San Marcos? I might have to check it out sometime.

ReAxion

Ah nice. I'm in Oceanside. I hope you weren't too close to any of the fires! The mall I work at was just a couple miles away from the big Carlsbad fire so we had to be evacuated yesterday. Pretty surreal.

Also, how is that shop in San Marcos? I might have to check it out sometime.

I'm also in O'side. I live by Pendleton but not where the fires were. Which mall, if you don't mind saying? I heard Plaza Camino Real was an evac site.

The shop is Toy Wars. It's my favorite of the local ones.

Marvel book of the week - All-New Ghost Rider

DC book of the week - Superman/Wonder Woman

Indie/non big 2 - Afterlife with Archie

Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Doomed storyline.

Green Lantern Corps #31:

Shiiiieeeeeet just got ruul. First appearance of
Sodom Yat
in the New 52. Looks like the
Durlan's
have designs on
Daxam
, they want to consume their DNA so they can mimic their forms, which would make them pretty much unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom