• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Happy Birthday both Tim & Messi!

Is that the Hardcover with the touched up art?

Edit: anyone want to make any suggestions for an avatar for myself? It can be stupid as hell I don't even care.

I'd say you should go with the bottom left here. From Chad Hardin. Awesome Harley

HQ_face_studies.jpg

tim1138

Right back atcha Messi. Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday both Tim & Messi!

Is that the Hardcover with the touched up art?

Edit: anyone want to make any suggestions for an avatar for myself? It can be stupid as hell I don't even care.

It is indeed, it also has like 50 pages of sketches, character designs, covers, and page layouts.

Freezasaurus said:
Happy Birthday!

I've never heard of that Laika book. What is it about?

It's about Laika the Russian space dog.
It's equal parts fascinating (the early days of the space race) and tragically sad (animal testing). She is now considered a Russian hero and even has a statue in her honor.

Zombine

Banned
I'd say you should go with the bottom left here. From Chad Hardin. Awesome Harley

Hell yes! You win. I'll make that my pic tomorrow. You saved ComicGAF from a Greg Land "O" face avatar.

Edit: tomorrow came early. I'll be saving Terri-bad batman for future use.

Happy Birthday to Messi and Tim

Bee and Puppycat #1 - I nominate this issue for most adorable comic of the month, so yeah this was a fun book I'll be picking up the next one.

Shutter #2 - This book does not slow down and I really like the subtle humor it has.

Starlight #3 - Millar is keeping this lighthearted so far (for Millar). He took this issue to remind us how bad the bad guy is and how old the old protagonist is.

Alright, I'll send you a PM later tonight.

The Punisher #5

14191199212_0f1974e3fd_o.jpg

I have to admit, I haven't read Rucka's run on Punisher. With that said, I'm enjoying what I'm getting from Edmondson. It's basically Frank Castle just blowing shit up, which makes for pretty art. Oh, and I like Electro. One would think he can easily overpower Frank but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

14007087698_994bb26075_o.jpg
14007105890_df54d92659_o.jpg

I do find it strange that after
Domino
jumps out of the helicopter, nothing happens with that person thereafter. Or did I miss something? Also, the build up to something happening to
Tuggs was absolutely nothing
. Disappointing, to say the least. :/

14170604286_1a5682055d_o.jpg

So who wants the code to Punisher #5? I also have Punishers #1-4 but I'm at work right now, so I can give those codes out later today.

I love the art on this title.

Happy Birthday Messi from the land of the dollar and home of Olivia Wilde.

Happy Birthday Tim, my friendly neighborhood ComicGaffer.

Tonight I read Spider-man Family Business and I have never seen more gorgeous comic art in my life. Wow! Yeah, it was only 120 pages but you stared at each page 3x longer than you normally would. Oh yeah, story was good too.

SoilBreak

Banned
The thing is, Winter Soldier The Bitter March is so good, because Shen is way less racist as a good guy agent. I can totally see where you're coming from though, Dr. Mindbubble is superior in every way in my opinion. I can't wait until Iron Nail is over and done with, then Remender can tell the modern-day Bucky and Cap arc he keeps hinting at.

Hope so because this current arc is making me want to drop this book fast.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn, this Death of the Family Paperback was so good. Snyder wrote a perfect Joker Story, one of my favourite so far. So excited to read the companion book with the Tie-In-Books of the Batfamily.

Waiting until November to pick up Year Zero will be so hard :(

Banglish

Hey guys I recently got an ipad, and I want to get into some digital comics.. DC and Marvel.
I like grit and dark humor. Batman, Spiderman, Deadpool, Green Lantern, X-men..Not sure where to start though, need suggestions!

Hey guys I recently got an ipad, and I want to get into some digital comics.. DC and Marvel.
I like grit and dark humor. Batman, Spiderman, Deadpool, Green Lantern, X-men..Not sure where to start though, need suggestions!

For Batman you can just start with the current series written by Scott Snyder. I'm really far behind on it myself, but it's a great run.

Spider-Man you can start with the previous series, Superior Spider-Man, which just concluded. If you really don't want to read that much you could just start with Amazing Spider-Man #1 which just came out.

I haven't read any Deadpool in a long time, but I've heard good things about the current series past the first arc. I really enjoyed Cable & Deadpool too.

If you're looking for some other stuff, I always recommend Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Both are great series with a lot of lovable characters and require no background knowledge to enjoy. Mark Waid's Daredevil is also fantastic.

Tizoc

Dark humor? Anything by Garth Ennis.
Transformers: More than meets the eye has some dark humor if you consider some of the dialog

Batman: Grant Morrison's run, this is my recommended reading order:
Batman and Son>Black Glove>Batman RIP>Final Crisis>Batman and Robin>Return of Bruce Wayne>Batman Inc.

Spiderman: Ultimate Spiderman by Bendis and JMS' Spiderman run. The original Stan Lee run is timeless too.

Green Lantern: Geoff Johns' run

X-men: I personally liked Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon's run. You can start with either but Joss Whedon is considered a sequel/successor to Morrison's run.
X-Statix by Peter Milligan is fantastic too and must read.

Deadpool: Deadpool Classic TPBs, then Agent X, then Cable and Deadpool. There are some great DP minis too but their names escape me atm.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For Batman you can just start with the current series written by Scott Snyder. I'm really far behind on it myself, but it's a great run.

Spider-Man you can start with the previous series, Superior Spider-Man, which just concluded. If you really don't want to read that much you could just start with Amazing Spider-Man #1 which just came out.

I haven't read any Deadpool in a long time, but I've heard good things about the current series past the first arc. I really enjoyed Cable & Deadpool too.

If you're looking for some other stuff, I always recommend Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Both are great series with a lot of lovable characters and require no background knowledge to enjoy. Mark Waid's Daredevil is also fantastic.

That's a good list, but I'd start a little further back with Spiderman, with Big Time as a lot of what happens in Superior gets its start there. Starting Slott's run with Superior is like starting the Knight Fall story with Knight's Quest.

Happy belated birthday to my brahs Tim and Messi.

im excited for this new Jim Zub comic in August that is supposed to be like Buffy without the Whedon....

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Comics!

Catching up with my DC stack last night.

Doomed - OK I was very skeptical about this going into it since Doomsday is pretty 'meh' as a device (barely even a character) but since I'm already reading Action and S/WW I thought I'd give it a try.

Was glad that Doomsday
was dealt with quickly, found it pretty surprising. But then as soon as I realised what the story was going to be my eyes rolled so hard they almost fell out of my head. It's basically a remix of All Star Superman #3, spun out into how many issues? We've just had an evil Superman story in Forever evil as well. And the metaphor made literal of "What will become of me if I kill?" is embarrassingly on the nose.

I thought the Action and S/WW were both better than the first special. Kuder is great but his Superman didn't look beat up enough, and the
Lois-is-possessed story
seems a bit dumb, I'm not liking how the government is the de facto bad guy in a lot of these books right now, it seems very mundane. Tony Daniel was rocking the hell out of S/WW though, his Diana is pretty damn foxy in that coat and boots combo.
She has war telepathy now too?
OK.

Will probably keep reading it because for the car crash effect but I'm not holding out hope for greatness.

Future's End - doubt I will keep reading this. The problem with it being set in the future is that we don't have much connection to what's going on, and given comics' nature this future will most likely never happen. And if it does happen, it means we have a decent idea of DC's direction for the next few years. So really, I'm not quite seeing the point of this story just yet, it seems like an odd exercise. We get teases of what might be coming in the next year, but we also are told that it gets resolved in some way, somewhat lessening the impact of these stories-to-come.

Fintan

Had forgotten just how good John Romita Jr. is at drawing Spider-Man. I was re-reading some random issues of his run with JMS. I loved that run, it sort of gets shitty once Romita leaves though.

Also, the costume from the future in #500 needs to pop up at some stage (maybe in Spider-verse?)

374675-110064-spider-man.jpg

So good.

Damn, this Death of the Family Paperback was so good. Snyder wrote a perfect Joker Story, one of my favourite so far. So excited to read the companion book with the Tie-In-Books of the Batfamily.

Waiting until November to pick up Year Zero will be so hard :(

How come you're waiting until November to pick it up? The first part of Zero Year (Secret City)has just come out. I saw a copy in Waterstones yesterday, Amazon don't seem to have sent mine yet. Can't wait to read it.

Zombine

Banned
marvel-shop17.jpg

Thoughts? I think it's incredible.

Edit: I think after this first arc of Ghost Rider is finished I'm dropping the book. The art is so much fun but I can't stand the writing. All of the censored cursing is getting obnoxious.

Owzers

I forced myself to read Bendis' prose segment in Daredevil 1.5

Ughhhhhhhhhhh. I almost never care for these oversized issues with "guests" writing short segments, it's always a way to justify extracting more money from me without getting anything out of it.

Zombine

Banned
The 'editor' on this book has the easiest fucking job.

How about that "west coast...best coast" monologue by Mr Hyde this issue? So fucking dumb. It's like this book is trying way too hard to be a book about dat California lyfe. Waiting for Sublime references, Jack Johnson, and a new protagonist who lives in the Full House home.

OmegaX

I'm looking for some trade recommendations and I figured this would be the place to ask. Specifically, I want feedback on what series I'm currently reading I should drop:

- Action Comics : I have read volumes 1 through 3, the entire Morrison run, and I loved it. Is the new writer as good, better, or worse? Is it continuing where Morrison left off or has it taken an entirely new direction?
- Aquaman: I've read volumens 1 and 2, 3 is on its way from Amazon, and I should be getting vol 4 to complete Geoff Johns's run. My doubts are the same I have with Action Comics.
- Batwoman: same as the previous 2. I understand the writers quit after DC starting messing with their vision of the title.
- Catwoman: I've read the first 3 volumes and volume 3 was terrible except for the tie-in with Death of the Family and #0. Is it gonna get worse on volume 4 or does it have some redeeming qualities still?

Also, which other new 52 titles do you guys recommend? I've been reading and enjoying Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Earth 2. I've been meaning to start reading World' Finest (Power Girl/Huntress) and Batman/Superman to replace Batman Incorporated since it already finished.

How about that "west coast...best coast" monologue by Mr Hyde this issue? So fucking dumb. It's like this book is trying way too hard to be a book about dat California lyfe. Waiting for Sublime references, Jack Johnson, and a new protagonist who lives in the Full House home.

"Joinnnnn meeeeeee. Becommmme vengeanceeeeeeeeeeeee."
"You got it dude!"

Tizoc

Seems Jim Zub wrote a short story in the FCBD Street Fighter #0 issue. Looks like UDON's finally about to start the SF3 arc since they mention
the society in the other story and that can only mean Gill's orginization
Art was nice but this caught my interest
4zPYx1s.jpg

Necro's gotta be mind controlled here...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

New Villain: Wildfire.

tim1138

I'm looking for some trade recommendations and I figured this would be the place to ask. Specifically, I want feedback on what series I'm currently reading I should drop:

- Action Comics : I have read volumes 1 through 3, the entire Morrison run, and I loved it. Is the new writer as good, better, or worse? Is it continuing where Morrison left off or has it taken an entirely new direction?
- Aquaman: I've read volumens 1 and 2, 3 is on its way from Amazon, and I should be getting vol 4 to complete Geoff Johns's run. My doubts are the same I have with Action Comics.
- Batwoman: same as the previous 2. I understand the writers quit after DC starting messing with their vision of the title.
- Catwoman: I've read the first 3 volumes and volume 3 was terrible except for the tie-in with Death of the Family and #0. Is it gonna get worse on volume 4 or does it have some redeeming qualities still?

Also, which other new 52 titles do you guys recommend? I've been reading and enjoying Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, and Earth 2. I've been meaning to start reading World' Finest (Power Girl/Huntress) and Batman/Superman to replace Batman Incorporated since it already finished.

You are safe in sticking with Aquaman, Jeff Parker is doing good stuff since taking over. It was a seamless transition.

I'd recommend Green Arrow starting with Jeff Lemire's run. The first trade of his stuff came out a month ago and I believe is called the Kill Machine.

Superman/Wonder Woman has solid writing by Charles Soule and the best art of Tony Daniel's career.

I forced myself to read Bendis' prose segment in Daredevil 1.5

Ughhhhhhhhhhh. I almost never care for these oversized issues with "guests" writing short segments, it's always a way to justify extracting more money from me without getting anything out of it.
Yep, that's exactly what they are. Marvel has been doing it a lot lately.

Whoever said Rucka is writing Cyclops because Lazarus isn't making him any is right, he said in the letters he is raising the price fifty cents for that very reason.

Mumei

I loaned my copy of Absolute All-Star Superman to a co-worker, and he called me excitedly when he got to the line that is used in Man of Steel:

all-star.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Stokoe's Godzilla is one of those books written from the perspective of someone who gets what makes an amazing Godzilla story. If only it was longer than 6 issues. ._.

Tizoc

Transformers: More than meets the eye #28 was yet another spectacular issue those final pages were...literally WHAT, heck even Prime goes 'WTF'.

I loved this page though, Low Self Esteem Drunk Trailcutter is the best Transformer ever
6Lami8v.jpg

OmegaX

You are safe in sticking with Aquaman, Jeff Parker is doing good stuff since taking over. It was a seamless transition.

I'd recommend Green Arrow starting with Jeff Lemire's run. The first trade of his stuff came out a month ago and I believe is called the Kill Machine.

Superman/Wonder Woman has solid writing by Charles Soule and the best art of Tony Daniel's career.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had forgotten that Superman/Wonder Woman existed. I will buy when the first volume is out.

How come you're waiting until November to pick it up? The first part of Zero Year (Secret City)has just come out. I saw a copy in Waterstones yesterday, Amazon don't seem to have sent mine yet. Can't wait to read it.
Probably waiting for the paperback, which isn't out yet.

I wait for paperbacks on Batwoman and it takes forever.

SSJLuffy

Geez do I read slow but I'm almost caught up to The Walking Dead. On issue 98.

After The Walking Dead, I think I'll start reading Ultimate Spider-Man. That or some other image series, thinking either Saga or Chew.

Is there an Manga OT or is it okay to talk manga here?

You guys read any foreign comics/euro comics? Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom