• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image announces 'Imperial' by Steven T. Seagle and Mark Dos Santos, coming August 2014 (CBR)
Average guy finds out he's been chosen as successor to the world's greatest (and only) superhero... right when he's about to get married.
Omg, haven't read anything from the dude since American Virgin a lifetime ago.

I wasn't entirely sure myself, but I think because of Avengers 29 maybe?
I thought so too but it doesn't make sense since Avengers is now taking place during Original Sin whereas NA is still stuck in pre-OS.

PsychBat!

Banned
Do you love when somebody trashes Bendis? Because I love when somebody trashes Bendis. io9 interviewed Chris Pratt at the set of GotG and he came with the most amazing second hand diss from James Gunn.

How many of the comics did you read to prepare and what was something you saw in the Guardians comics where you say, "OK, I need to have this in the movie"?

Well, when I first talked with James [Gunn] here I had some read of the Bendis stuff. And I talked to James and I was like, "What do you think?" And he was said, "Don't read any more. I don't want you to read any." [James said to read] the Abnett and Andy Lanning if I want, if I felt I had to read something, we'd be closest to that.

Love it.

tim1138

Aww. It's a sad story, but also sweet, and it's amazing that this dog has remained rather famous and inspired quite a lot of art. There was another short comic with Laika's continued adventures in space that appeared in one of the Flight volumes. The appearances in The Manhattan Projects. There are short films and music videos using Laika. Is there any dog with a greater legacy?

Don't forget the statue erected in her honor in Moscow!
I think the saddest part of the story was in '98 when Gazenko flat out said they shouldn't have launched and that they gained no data of any consequence from the mission.
It's little harder for me because Laika looks like she was part terrier (we have a Jack Russell), and I can see a resemblance in the face between Laika and our dog.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Don't forget the statue erected in her honor in Moscow!
I think the saddest part of the story was in '98 when Gazenko flat out said they shouldn't have launched and that they gained no data of any consequence from the mission.
It's little harder for me because Laika looks like she was part terrier (we have a Jack Russell), and I can see a resemblance in the face between Laika and our dog.

Yeah, political pressure and blind science trumped everything else. It's a shame, but hopefully people can draw lessons from the whole ordeal.

Unai

I dont live in america, so buying single Issues is way to expensive for me. At least when I want to stay physical. I just bought Amazing Spider-Man 1 because with the start of a new Volume its a special Issue and I had to pay almost 9€ - For a trade I am paying 13-15€, so this is not acceptable.

But I see your point, that these books are going to exist forever, you are right on this. This still makes some problem with my Incredible Backlog, but this is another thing.

Regarding paper quality and biding I am actually in this moment going deeper in the whole topic. I know there is much discussion in the comicbook boards, but I never invested much time into thinking about this.

I'm right with you, my friend. Comic books are shit in my country, so my best bet is importing from USA. I started doing it like three months ago, buying from InStockTrades and Amazon.

There is so much old stuff I want to read that I don't really care that much about dc trades been late. The worse thing is accidentally reading spoillers.

SSJLuffy

Start GL with Green Lantern: Rebirth. Johns does a pretty good job of getting you up to speed with the character's history and various incarnations, and that's effectively the starting point for everything that came after, including the new 52 books.

If you want to go way back with Batman, you'll want to go to the beginning of Grant Morrison's run, but it's kinda tricky as it weaves through the Crises, moreso than pre-N52 GL did. I think it's fine to start with Snyder...his pre-N52 work and the beginning of the N52 book are both fine as starting points. Just depends on how far back you want to go. Batman is pretty easy to jump into.

For any comic book character from DC or Marvel I'd be willing to start from whenever/wherever to be honest. Doesn't matter what decade as long as its a pretty easy story to follow when I first start reading it. It feels weird not following a story from the beginning and starting on issue 600 or something instead of issue 1. I'd like to start at an origin type story but that's probably not feasible.

I should probably try not to follow a reading order or timeline, especially with DC, if I wanna get into comics and instead just pick up good stories but like I said I would just feel weird doing that. When I get into a few Marvel characters, like Spider-Man I hear the Lee/Ditko run is a great place to start since Amazing Spider-Man pretty much feels like one long on-going story.

We'll see what I do, probably best to not put too much thought into this because well, kids seem to easily grasp whats going on.

For any comic book character from DC or Marvel I'd be willing to start from whenever/wherever to be honest. Doesn't matter what decade as long as its a pretty easy story to follow when I first start reading it. It feels weird not following a story from the beginning and starting on issue 600 or something instead of issue 1. I'd like to start at an origin type story but that's probably not feasible.

I should probably try not to follow a reading order or timeline, especially with DC, if I wanna get into comics and instead just pick up good stories but like I said I would just feel weird doing that. When I get into a few Marvel characters, like Spider-Man I hear the Lee/Ditko run is a great place to start since Amazing Spider-Man pretty much feels like one long on-going story.

We'll see what I do, probably best to not put too much thought into this because well, kids seem to easily grasp whats going on.

Well, just remember that is how comics are most commonly consumed. What you're talking about doing is an epic feat few comic book readers ever accomplish, even for their character of choice. Consider that A-listers like Batman and Spider-Man featured in multiple solo titles spanning decades, plus countless cameos, runs in Avengers/Justice League etc. and various minis. Even a B-lister like Deadpool or Harley Quinn would be hard to track across every appearance. Yet countless people who love these characters enjoy their newest stories anyway,

What I recommend to people who really want to dig deep into a character or team is to find out what the most essential runs are and start from there. Take the X-Men....good luck reading every X-Men adventure under the sun. But reading the origin, Claremont's run and Morrison's run is a great starting point. That's the stuff that gets referenced again and again. Throw in the most critically-acclaimed runs, like Whedon's Astonishing and Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and you have a lot of great comics to get through, and you'll emerge feeling like you have sure footing in their universe and history.

Unai

Green Lantern: Rebirth is the closest thing of a origin you'll get out of the green lanterns. I dind't know a thing about the GL mythos before reading it and I loved every page. They are pretty good about telling everything you should know in actual dialog between the characters.

I can't recomend the Geoff run enough. Sinestro Corps War is literally the best thing I have ever read in a superhero comic book. It was also the arc the made Sinestro my favorite viilain of all the time.

Edit: I've grown up as a manga guy, and it is pretty weird when you start reading something that does not have a beginning, midle and ending, and also was written by several different persons. But some stories are so good even though the character would not do this and do that if they were written by other people. I like to think that every run of a writter as a different view of a character os story, that may or may not follow the original story that I liked before.

Banglish

Well, just remember that is how comics are most commonly consumed. What you're talking about doing is an epic feat few comic book readers ever accomplish, even for their character of choice. Consider that A-listers like Batman and Spider-Man featured in multiple solo titles spanning decades, plus countless cameos, runs in Avengers/Justice League etc. and various minis. Even a B-lister like Deadpool or Harley Quinn would be hard to track across every appearance. Yet countless people who love these characters enjoy their newest stories anyway,

What I recommend to people who really want to dig deep into a character or team is to find out what the most essential runs are and start from there. Take the X-Men....good luck reading every X-Men adventure under the sun. But reading the origin, Claremont's run and Morrison's run is a great starting point. That's the stuff that gets referenced again and again. Throw in the most critically-acclaimed runs, like Whedon's Astonishing and Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and you have a lot of great comics to get through, and you'll emerge feeling like you have sure footing in their universe and history.

I needed this. Thank you <3

Vibranium

Banned
Bendis getting trashed by James Gunn is so awesome, I wonder how Marvel Editorial has reacted to the Chris Pratt interview? A director of an upcoming big Marvel Studios movie dismissed a comics run that they've been attempting to hype up for the general audience, in favour of DnA.

They need someone new for GoTG stat (and not DnA as they're done with each other...for now) who respects the cosmic side. And that will restore Rich Rider to glory.

I'm almost done catching up with Mark Waid's Daredevil and the next run I want to read is Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate it? Trying to decide if I should grab the first few volumes of Hickman's run in paperback, or go ahead and blow the cash on the omnibus vol. 1.

For reference, I do really enjoy Hickman's work and his current run on Avengers/New Avengers, was just not following Fantastic Four at the time this was going on.

Owzers

I'm almost done catching up with Mark Waid's Daredevil and the next run I want to read is Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate it? Trying to decide if I should grab the first few volumes of Hickman's run in paperback, or go ahead and blow the cash on the omnibus vol. 1.

For reference, I do really enjoy Hickman's work and his current run on Avengers/New Avengers, was just not following Fantastic Four at the time this was going on.

10. It is the best of Hickman's marvel work for me, and one of the best runs that Marvel has put out in recent years alongside Uncanny X-Force. I'm laying on the hype. The only downside was the changing artists during the later half of the run, FF in the second omnibus.

Bendis getting trashed by James Gunn is so awesome, I wonder how Marvel Editorial has reacted to the Chris Pratt interview? A director of an upcoming big Marvel Studios movie dismissed a comics run that they've been attempting to hype up for the general audience, in favour of DnA.

They need someone new for GoTG stat (and not DnA as they're done with each other...for now) who respects the cosmic side. And that will restore Rich Rider to glory.

lol wut

link??

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Boogiepop

Just finished catching up with the new TMNT ongoing trades, and I love it. Though the faces got a little funky midway, once they start to get rounder and have distinctive mask shapes. Not a big fan of that, but it doesn't ruin the book or anything and it's only here and there that the turtles look weird.

Also, the tie-ins are totally essential. They're referenced so much that they may as well be considered part of the main run. Actually a little annoyed that the Annual isn't included in any of what I bought. Looks like my only option is a pricey hardcover that won't even look right with my other trades. Bleh.

Other than that though I definitely can't complain. I mean, dropping references to the old Krang suit from the show visually and giving me
Bebop and Rocksteady, pretty much matching perfectly to their silly old selves
makes me so very happy.

dareacher

Banned
So cool to bash on Bendis.... Everybody seems to dismiss the fact that without Bendis we have no avengers movies which is kind of funny. Personally i love him as a writer and love most of his marvel work. but as i said.....So cool to bash on Bendis.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So cool to bash on Bendis.... Everybody seems to dismiss the fact that without Bendis we have no avengers movies which is kind of funny. Personally i love him as a writer and love most of his marvel work. but as i said.....So cool to bash on Bendis.

Bendis is fine when on the right books. He's very very much not the right guy for GOTG though.

dareacher

Banned
Bendis is fine when on the right books. He's very very much not the right guy for GOTG though.

Dont completely disagree with that statement....But he was necessery from a buiseness point of view. Again , people make his work on Gotg sounds like garbage when at worst its very average compared to DnA stuff.

Probably should give more credit to Millar than Bendis...

Yeah I don't really see it as a big diss to Bendis. Pratt was curious about what to read for inspiration for the film and Bendis' run does not inspire the film at all. It's more based on Abnett and Lanning's work if anything, and loosely so, which is what Gunn pointed out.

PsychBat!

Banned

Oh boy. He's not flawless, he's not a good writer for Avengers or GotG, get over it.

We thank Lucas for bringing the Star Wars trilogy to life but guess what? The man also brought those terrible prequels to life too.

dareacher

Banned
Oh boy. He's not flawless, he's not a good writer for Avengers or GotG, get over it.

We thank Lucas for bringing the Star Wars trilogy to life but guess what? The man also brought those terrible prequels to life too.

where did i say he was flawless?? And i personally really liked most of his avengers run (granted the end sucked). But yes i liked dissasemble , house of M etc... And comparing these stories to the crap Lucas dished out in ep 1-3 is complete nonsense IMO.

bendis is #crushing it on gotg. trial of jean grey was the freshest, most groundbreaking cosmic story since dark phoenix saga. fck outta here, get into bendis.

PsychBat!

Banned
where did i say he was flawless?? And i personally really liked most of his avengers run (granted the end sucked). But yes i liked dissasemble , house of M etc... And comparing these stories to the crap Lucas dished out in ep 1-3 is complete nonsense IMO.

Okay, I'll rephrase it.

While he may be important, he's not great at writing. But it's not nonsense when he put out crap like Secret Invasion and Age of Ultron. You liked his stuff, that's great. Is the writing of high quality? No. At least not when it comes to events and team books (only exception has been the current X-Men run he's been doing).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
bendis is #crushing it on gotg. trial of jean grey was the freshest, most groundbreaking cosmic story since dark phoenix saga. fck outta here, get into bendis.

That was an X-Men story though, the GotG were just there to get them into space.

Okay, I'll rephrase it.

While he may be important, he's not great at writing. But it's not nonsense when he put out crap like Secret Invasion and Age of Ultron. You liked his stuff, that's great. Is the writing of high quality? No. At least not when it comes to events and team books (only exception has been the current X-Men run he's been doing).

Agreed. He's been killing X-Men for a while now.

the truth of the matter is, sometimes it takes a good character or team for the writer to shine. of course bendis' avengers was ass - because the avengers themselves are ass.

Zombine

Banned
Bendis is isn't underrated or overrated, he's just rated. He puts out some solid stuff and I have few complaints. I like my All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. He just holds down the fort until better writers come along.

He's like a piece of pizza; even shitty pizza is good pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom