• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Geez do I read slow but I'm almost caught up to The Walking Dead. On issue 98.

After The Walking Dead, I think I'll start reading Ultimate Spider-Man. That or some other image series, thinking either Saga or Chew.

Is there an Manga OT or is it okay to talk manga here?

You guys read any foreign comics/euro comics? Recommendations?

Of crouse there is a Manga OT, it's in Off topic community.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807661

Far as Euro comics go, give Blacksad a read.

Image announces 'Imperial' by Steven T. Seagle and Mark Dos Santos, coming August 2014 (CBR)

Imperial-art-by-Mark-Dos-Sa-adddc.jpg
Average guy finds out he's been chosen as successor to the world's greatest (and only) superhero... right when he's about to get married.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How come you're waiting until November to pick it up? The first part of Zero Year (Secret City)has just come out. I saw a copy in Waterstones yesterday, Amazon don't seem to have sent mine yet. Can't wait to read it.

I dont collect Hardcover Books. I just buy Hardcovers, if they are Omnibuses and in rare incidents OHCs.

They are just to expensive, I dont really want to pay 10€ more just to have a book that is way more unwieldy book than if have it as a trade.

The problem on this is more a DC problem than a general, DC has this fucking awful release periods. I dont want to start this discussion again, I ranted about this so often here, but I really cant understand, how they can do such a poor job in cormparison to Marvel. Marvel releases their trades really fast, for example I just have to wait for three months between my Superior Spider-Man trades, while I have to wait 6 months between my Batman trades. Marvel has some books with strange release cycles, too. Captain America Vol. 2 released in Februar, when I remember correctly and Vol. 3 will release in December. A gap of ten months. But that are the rare individual cases.

But overall, the long release gaps dont let me buy more DC books, Because I hate it to wait such a long time.

(Beside that, DC really needs a good website, where they show us new releases in the coming months. Something similar to this: The onliest way to see newly announced DC books is while browsing Amazon. And this is very unconformable, because I dont get a whole overview of all new books, I just see the things Amazons Algorithm is recommending me. And so I see only stuff thats already on my radar, nothing new.

But if DC dont want my Money, then if give it to Marvel. Its their problem.

Edit: I see that I completely derailed from what I wanted to post in the beginning :D But I think ranting on DC Release policy every couple of months is a good think. Maybe they will recognize it and change it to a better.

I'm not sure if Doomed is the best sendoff for Lobdell on Superman. Because I'm really enjoying it. Tony Daniel's WW is gorgeous.

Feliz cumpleaños Tim y Messi. Pásenlo chancho.

Green Lantern: Geoff Johns' run

Is this a recommendation for the old run with Secret Origin and all that? Is there going to be a larger collected edition at some point or is the only option buying each trade paperback or hardcover separately? There are like 11 or 12 volumes.

Is this Geoff Johns' Green Lantern New 52 run any good?

tim1138

Is this a recommendation for the old run with Secret Origin and all that? Is there going to be a larger collected edition at some point or is the only option buying each trade paperback or hardcover separately? There are like 11 or 12 volumes.

It's being released in omnibus form next year, volume 1 collects the first 50 issues of the pre New52 run and drops in February. It should run from Rebirth through the Sinestro Corps War. The second volume (when it's released) should run from the Blackest Night buildup through the end of his N52 run if it has the same issue count.

Really, his New 52 run was just a continuation of what he was doing before the reboot, the first issue pretty much picks up right where War of the Green Lanterns ended. The entire first year of his arc are revamped versions of previously announced stories, with the Sinestro stuff and the Indigo Tribe arc. Even the First Lantern stuff that ended his run was referenced back in War of the Green Lanterns before the New 52 started.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I dont collect Hardcover Books. I just buy Hardcovers, if they are Omnibuses and in rare incidents OHCs.

They are just to expensive, I dont really want to pay 10€ more just to have a book that is way more unwieldy book than if have it as a trade.

The problem on this is more a DC problem than a general, DC has this fucking awful release periods. I dont want to start this discussion again, I ranted about this so often here, but I really cant understand, how they can do such a poor job in cormparison to Marvel. Marvel releases their trades really fast, for example I just have to wait for three months between my Superior Spider-Man trades, while I have to wait 6 months between my Batman trades. Marvel has some books with strange release cycles, too. Captain America Vol. 2 released in Februar, when I remember correctly and Vol. 3 will release in December. A gap of ten months. But that are the rare individual cases.

But overall, the long release gaps dont let me buy more DC books, Because I hate it to wait such a long time.

(Beside that, DC really needs a good website, where they show us new releases in the coming months. Something similar to this: The onliest way to see newly announced DC books is while browsing Amazon. And this is very unconformable, because I dont get a whole overview of all new books, I just see the things Amazons Algorithm is recommending me. And so I see only stuff thats already on my radar, nothing new.

But if DC dont want my Money, then if give it to Marvel. Its their problem.

Edit: I see that I completely derailed from what I wanted to post in the beginning :D But I think ranting on DC Release policy every couple of months is a good think. Maybe they will recognize it and change it to a better.

I've said this before about delays, but I think it goes doubly so for trade releases - you're fixated on the thin end of the wedge. DC trades being 4-6 months later than equivalent Marvel releases doesn't mean much at all beyond that window where you're jonesing for it. The books will exist on bookshelves FOREVER, their release date is almost inconsequential. Yes it would be nice to have it quicker but if you cared that much you'd buy the singles surely? You've already missed the window of conversation from monthly readers anyway, and if it's a classic it'll exist forever.

So basically, why not chill with the panty wadding about release schedules? You should be much much more upset about the binding and paper quality, now that IS fucked up.

ReAxion

I still haven't been to that comic shop in Oceanside by the pier though. It looks like such a sad little place...

It is a sad place, but still a good resource. You can get a lot of back issues there, and if something gets sold out on day 1, I've had good luck getting it there. When Veil #1 was sold out everywhere else, that's where I went.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I've said this before about delays, but I think it goes doubly so for trade releases - you're fixated on the thin end of the wedge. DC trades being 4-6 months later than equivalent Marvel releases doesn't mean much at all beyond that window where you're jonesing for it. The books will exist on bookshelves FOREVER, their release date is almost inconsequential. Yes it would be nice to have it quicker but if you cared that much you'd buy the singles surely? You've already missed the window of conversation from monthly readers anyway, and if it's a classic it'll exist forever.

So basically, why not chill with the panty wadding about release schedules? You should be much much more upset about the binding and paper quality, now that IS fucked up.

I dont live in america, so buying single Issues is way to expensive for me. At least when I want to stay physical. I just bought Amazing Spider-Man 1 because with the start of a new Volume its a special Issue and I had to pay almost 9€ - For a trade I am paying 13-15€, so this is not acceptable.

But I see your point, that these books are going to exist forever, you are right on this. This still makes some problem with my Incredible Backlog, but this is another thing.

Regarding paper quality and biding I am actually in this moment going deeper in the whole topic. I know there is much discussion in the comicbook boards, but I never invested much time into thinking about this.

young justice lost me in season 2 when it became the blue beetle + random cameo hour. i miss the teen drama of superboy and miss martian, back when they were both cuties.

Tizoc

Yup start from Origin onwards. THe New 52 run is a continuation of his past run.

there's a reason these shows die when they become cameo-masturbation easter egg weekly. nobody is here to see 10 seconds of tim drake as a part of a 50 person young justice team.

Okay, if you say so. But I don't really agree with the premise of any of your points. I thought they were pretty successful with such a large team, and I don't think it was ever the "Blue Beetle Variety Hour," either. He was heavily featured but I don't see why we can't have a long plotline with Blue Beetle as a central character. Why is that bad?

The diversity of the cast is basically unrivaled in super hero toons, and everybody got a moment in the sun (that's how you do an ensemble story). The plot was a lot of fun. The animation was top notch. My kid and I both loved it; it was our favorite show to watch together and female heroes featuring in stories and actually doing cool shit was a big part of that. I mean, you're allowed to have an opinion. But it's wrong. ;p

arkon

Whoever said Rucka is writing Cyclops because Lazarus isn't making him any is right, he said in the letters he is raising the price fifty cents for that very reason.

Figures. Wasn't he the one saying he was sick of working for the big 2 before his turnabout on Cyclops?

I went and totaled up what my wishlist is currently. Even at cheapest prices I could find, it was well over $800

This stuff is expensive, bruddahs.

I recently came to the same conclusion sadly. Used to love comics as a kid and two or three years ago jumped back into comics and while I've enjoyed my time and rekindled my appreciation for the art form it gets costly really fast if you read alot. In the blink of an eye I have probably $500 or $600 worth of books on the shelf. I don't regret it but at the same time a good chunk will be probably end up listed for sale sooner or later.

Mostly a Marvel guy so been debating internally and saying screw it forgoing other publishers and physical books and going with Marvel Unlimited exclusively going forward.

SSJLuffy

Where's a good place to start reading GL? I've never read a GL comic before and know near to nothing about the characters and mythos surrounding the Green Lanterns.

I wanna start on New 52, but I read above that its just a continuation of the stuff that was going on pre-new 52. I also read the same about the current Batman stuff awhile ago, but somebody on GAF recommended me to just check out Synder's Batman stuff and go from there.

Where's a good place to start reading GL? I've never read a GL comic before and know near to nothing about the characters and mythos surrounding the Green Lanterns.

I wanna start on New 52, but I read above that its just a continuation of the stuff that was going on pre-new 52. I also read the same about the current Batman stuff awhile ago, but somebody on GAF recommended me to just check out Synder's Batman stuff and go from there.

Start GL with Green Lantern: Rebirth. Johns does a pretty good job of getting you up to speed with the character's history and various incarnations, and that's effectively the starting point for everything that came after, including the new 52 books.

If you want to go way back with Batman, you'll want to go to the beginning of Grant Morrison's run, but it's kinda tricky as it weaves through the Crises, moreso than pre-N52 GL did. I think it's fine to start with Snyder...his pre-N52 work and the beginning of the N52 book are both fine as starting points. Just depends on how far back you want to go. Batman is pretty easy to jump into.

Green lantern Rebirth

Owzers

i'd wait for the pre new 52 Green Lantern Omnibus that was talked about earlier here. Green Lantern Rebirth onwards.

^^^^^^^^^^^ i'm late.

Sidenote: Justice League #29 would have been a lot better if it didn't rely so heavily on Cyborg.

tim1138

Nice. This is the first book I picked up from GAF recommendations as I got back into comics like 5 years ago.

It's really freaking good and completely heartbreaking. My wife was interested in reading it until I told her what happened to Laika when they launched Sputnik 2, she's not a giant space nerd like I am and had no idea Laika died.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's really freaking good and completely heartbreaking. My wife was interested in reading it until I told her what happened to Laika when they launched Sputnik 2, she's not a giant space nerd like I am and had no idea Laika died.

SPOILERS, MAN. .

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Aww. It's a sad story, but also sweet, and it's amazing that this dog has remained rather famous and inspired quite a lot of art. There was another short comic with Laika's continued adventures in space that appeared in one of the Flight volumes. The appearances in The Manhattan Projects. There are short films and music videos using Laika. Is there any dog with a greater legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom