• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking how I read all of Trintiy War and Forever Evil this weekend made me realize how much I love the characters of the DCU. I started with DC but have recently branched out to Marvel and I really like it. I of course love Spider-Man but have really grown to love the X-Men, Daredevil, Remenders crazy world of X-Force & UA. Solo titles like Moon Knight, Black Widow, Silver Surfer, Cyclops, Ghost Rider, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel have captivated me. Then to round it out I'm reading Fantastic 4 and All-New Invaders and Secret Avengers and I love the Marvel characters in a group environment. Let's not forget the awesome Ultimate universe Spider-Man, Peter and Miles.

But with no disrespect what so ever to the Marvel Universe, if I was asked to only pick one of the big 2 to pledge my money and allegiance to, I would have to pick DC. I have no real reason why I'm writing this, I thought it was interesting to me when I was thinking about it. Now that I wrote it out, it has no real discussion topics. It's my love letter to DC and comics. Thankfully I don't have to pick and can be excited each and every week for my pull.

Zombine

Banned
Thinking how I read all of Trintiy War and Forever Evil this weekend made me realize how much I love the characters of the DCU. I started with DC but have recently branched out to Marvel and I really like it. I of course love Spider-Man but have really grown to love the X-Men, Daredevil, Remenders crazy world of X-Force & UA. Solo titles like Moon Knight, Black Widow, Silver Surfer, Cyclops, Ghost Rider, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel have captivated me. Then to round it out I'm reading Fantastic 4 and All-New Invaders and Secret Avengers and I love the Marvel characters in a group environment. Let's not forget the awesome Ultimate universe Spider-Man, Peter and Miles.

But with no disrespect what so ever to the Marvel Universe, if I was asked to only pick one of the big 2 to pledge my money and allegiance to, I would have to pick DC. I have no real reason why I'm writing this, I thought it was interesting to me when I was thinking about it. Now that I wrote it out, it has no real discussion topics. It's my love letter to DC and comics. Thankfully I don't have to pick and can be excited each and every week for my pull.

My biggest critique that I have in regards to DC is that I never get the feeling that it's a unified world. I don't see how Booster Gold, Red Tornado, Aqua Man, and Batman can exist in the same universe. But when you look at the Marvel,all of their characters are at least feasible within that world. I've always felt that with the exception of a few titles, you can tell that DC comics doesn't quite "get" what makes Marvel so accessible for people. I would also say that their covers are way too fucking busy and are one step away from looking like Batman Arkham City GOTY edition.

Edit: I blame Dan Didio for most of my problems with DC.

The big deal is DC tries to turn all there characters into Batman recently tonally.

Reason why some of DC best selling books besides the big ones are the more lighthearted books.

Like Harley Quinn.

Zombine

Banned
The big deal is DC tries to turn all there characters into Batman recently tonally.

Reason why some of DC best selling books besides the big ones are the more lighthearted books.

Like Harley Quinn.

But let's be fair too though. Marvel has been shitting up the place with half assed events and crossovers they seem to be pumping out monthly. I just give them a bit more wiggle room because I think weekly there is more diversity in their releases than DC.

JEKKI

I dont have a big pull list, like only like 10 books thanks to dropping all those terrible Bendis Xmen titles,

also had to drop all Valiant unfortunately due to low resale value... gotta wait for trades and / or comixology sales!

so I only go to my shop every 2 or 3 weeks, and I've done a great job in these past 2 weeks tackling comics backlog!

I read:

Scalped vol. 1
Gen 13 original 5 issue run (loved this one!!!)
Hellblazer - Ashes and Dust
Sandman - A Game of You (absolutely incredible btw)
New Avengers - post Infinity issues 13-15; still needa read 16.NOW and I'll stop there
Captain America Winter Soldier arc (issues 1-14)
Quantum & Woody original series issues 1-8

I'm really trying to knock down backlog before I buy any more trades or make another big comixology purchase.

at this rate; I may be buying some new stuff by June!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My biggest critique that I have in regards to DC is that I never get the feeling that it's a unified world. I don't see how Booster Gold, Red Tornado, Aqua Man, and Batman can exist in the same universe. But when you look at the Marvel,all of their characters are at least feasible within that world. I've always felt that with the exception of a few titles, you can tell that DC comics doesn't quite "get" what makes Marvel so accessible for people. I would also say that their covers are way too fucking busy and are one step away from looking like Batman Arkham City GOTY edition.

Edit: I blame Dan Didio for most of my problems with DC.

Xmen and the rest of the Marvel universe really disagree with this.

sca2511

Humberto Ramos just charged my fiancé $15 to sign my copy of Amazing Spidey #1.

What a douchebag.

Whoa, what? I only went to BigWow today and I got my TASM #700 Ramos variant signed pretty quickly with no hassle or fee. I also got my Batwoman Elegy HC signed by Rucka plus Lazarus #1 signed by Rucka and Lark (really cool guys). My girlfriend asked when would be the next time we'd see Stumptown/Dex and Rucka said September. So excited.

Zombine

Banned
Xmen and the rest of the Marvel universe really disagree with this.

Disagree with what? The unification of Marvel
Characters? You and I both know what a mutant is, how they came to be, what X-men is, and their relation to the avengers/spiderman/fantastic four ect.

Break that down even more and you know why Spiderman/Daredevil/Punisher know one another, and how Hawkeye knows these people and so on and so forth.

I have a hard time telling a person who Martian Manhunter is and why he's in canada hugging on Star Girl while Hawkman is
getting his hand chopped off by Lobo who isn't Lobo but is and that they don't like each other much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean your concept of the unified universe that makes sense. I dont feel the Xmen and the Marvel universe play nice on a conceptual level.

I'm really trying to knock down backlog before I buy any more trades or make another big comixology purchase.

at this rate; I may be buying some new stuff by June!
I feel you man. I have like 30 books in my backlog and I had to stop myself from buying more books the other day. I need to actually sit down and start something lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You say this like it's a bad thing. I love being able to safely ignore everything X-Men and not have that affect my enjoyment of everything actually worthwhile re: Marvel.

With a company so trigger happy with shitty crossovers, you are going to be constantly reminded of anything you dont like.

Zombine

Banned
I mean your concept of the unified universe that makes sense. I dont feel the Xmen and the Marvel universe play nice on a conceptual level.

Oh I know. Mutant segregation versus the Avengers acceptance. That is a problem. But I'm speaking on a much wider scale in terms of designs, alien worlds, Marvel Heroes in general ect. I rarely feel like someone exists that shouldn't be there while DC feels like a grab bag of cool looking characters who don't really stick to anything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh I know. Mutant segregation versus the Avengers acceptance. That is a problem. But I'm speaking on a much wider scale in terms of designs, alien worlds, Marvel Heroes in general ect. I rarely feel like someone exists that shouldn't be there while DC feels like a grab bag of cool looking characters who don't really stick to anything.

I think that also gives DC more freedom though.

kswiston

It helps that most of the early groundwork for the Marvel U was created by one writer and a handful of artists. DC never had that.

But with no disrespect what so ever to the Marvel Universe, if I was asked to only pick one of the big 2 to pledge my money and allegiance to, I would have to pick DC.

I'm the opposite. Marvel has always been my bread and butter of the big two. I think it has a lot to do with how convoluted DC event storylines can get. That's not to say there aren't DC books I enjoy.

This thread is certainly unique across fandom in how it leans DC. It's got to be about the only comics community on the internet that does.

I always go back and forth on Marvel vs DC. Right now I'd say I prefer Marvel just because I read more ongoings from them. But I think I own more DC trades overall and I really love Batman.

Zombine

Banned
This thread is certainly unique across fandom in how it leans DC. It's got to be about the only comics community on the internet that does.

If my fandom was a mixed drink it would be 5 parts marvel, 2 Parts DC. If this mixed drink was given to my girlfriend she would reject it, pour it down the sink, and say she just wants her DC straight and I can fuck off with that Spiderman shit.

I'm basically use to not getting people to tell me Marvel is awesome. :(

Four out of the top 5 posters in this thread are primarily DC readers, so it gives that illusion. Luckily Birdie is still here to lol at them in all caps.

kswiston

Four out of the top 5 posters in this thread are primarily DC readers, so it gives that illusion. Luckily Birdie is still here to lol at them in all caps.

That is fairly recent though. Rafa used to complain that no one talked about DC books other than Morrison Batman and events before Grandharrier and others joined us.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Outside of Synder/ capullo and tomasi/Gleason there is no creative team that pops out to me

Jeff Parker's aquaman is rad tho

Lemire/Sorrentino, homie. Resurrected a beyond dead comic and put it in the top 5.

Unai

I have to say that DC has a special place in my heart. Most because of the Green Lantern Corps. Such a great roster of characters can only be matched by something like the x-men, I think.

I also really like the concept behind Superman/Clark, meaning he is one of the few superheroes who is a superhero just because he is a good person, and not because of some childhood trauma, or because he feels guilty about the death of someone he likes, or because he is part of some interstellar police force. He just carries what Pa and Ma Kent taught him.

I also really like the old vertigo characters like Constantine and Swamp Thing.

The only Marvel character that I REALLY like is Spider-Man.

I have to say that DC has a special place in my hart. Most because of the Green Lantern Corps. Such a great roster of characters can only be matched by something like the x-men, I think.

oh man, I used to be all about Green Lantern before the New 52 reboot, but holy shit. I think I just got GL'ed-out at some point.

kswiston

oh man, I used to be all about Green Lantern before the New 52 reboot, but holy shit. I think I just got GL'ed-out at some point.

Me too. That was probably my top book for awhile, but I only read the first 2-3 issues of the New52 stuff. You can only have so many lantern wars in a 5 year period.

Me too. That was probably my top book for awhile, but I only read the first 2-3 issues of the New52 stuff. You can only have so many lantern wars in a 5 year period.

I think it was the introduction of all the other Lantern Corps. during Blackest Night that started to make me lose interest. I liked the idea, but assumed they were all going to go away after the event... Not stick around for a rainbow marketing bonanza.

Boogiepop

So, somebody help me out here. I'm more or less all caught up on TMNT from IDW, and I've started to look forward to whatever trades may come out next. Is there any better way to look up what's solicited other than hoping Amazon (which is kind of hard to search on since so many things get tagged TMNT, even if you narrow it down to comics and IDW) or Wikipedia or whatever is accurate? I want to know what's coming down the line, but I can't find anything outside of the solicits for June, and I figure there's gotta be a better way to keep track of this stuff.

ReiGun

Marvel and DC are the same shit in my head. I didn't even know superheroes were made by different companies until I was 17.

I have a slight leaning toward DC because the DC animated stuff (dating all the way back to watching Fleischer Superman and old Superfriends episodes at my grandmas house as a wee tyke) was such a huge part of my childhood so those characters are closer to me than Marvel's. But even then, Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and I love a lot of Marvel stories like Nextwave and a ton of Black Panther runs.

At the end of the day, I just want good comics.

Bii

I grew up with Marvel and still prefer Marvel overall. I did broaden my DC reading by buying all New 52 #1 issues three years ago. I'm only pulling one series since then (Batman). Though I have been tempted to get back into Batman/Superman and/or even start up Superman/Wonderwoman.

Bee and Puppycat #1 - I nominate this issue for most adorable comic of the month, so yeah this was a fun book I'll be picking up the next one.
Ah thank you so much! Natasha's been super crushed with work lately but I make sure to pass everyone's kind words on to her. :)

I finally got to see the art for the cool thing we're trying next issue and I REALLY hope people like it. It was an absolute nightmare getting it OK'd and put together in time but if it works how we want it to... ahhh I can't wait for next month! @__@

I went to the shop before seeing Godzilla.

Marvel Comics
All-New Ghost Rider #3
Avengers #29
Captain America #20
Captain Marvel #3
New Avengers #18

Image Comics
Tales from the Con #1

Dark Horse Comics
Hellboy in Hell #6

Other Publishers
Afterlife with Archie #5
The Auteur #3 (Oni)
Bee and Puppycat #1 (kaboom!)
Damn that's a good pull. I hope you like Puppycat!

Thinking about dropping Avengers and Avengers World, books just feel vapid to me now. Lost that infinity spark.

Still diggin New Avengers tho...

Justice League United #1, Lumberjanes #2, and Silver Surfer #2 were all fun comics. Lumberjanes #2 even has a killer mixtape tracklist in the back.

A huge reason why I became such a huge DC fan has to be growing up with their animated offerings. Back in the early 90s, I was probably more into Marvel, but mostly because that is what I was exposed too; My friend got Marvel comics and you had stuff like Spiderman and the X-Men on TV. But stuff like Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series and Justice League, my interest and enjoyment in DC characters rose to the heavens.

I had another good friend (who became my roommate) who was really deep into DC and would come by my work (this is near when I started working) and always had some new trade or something that I'd borrow. That got me into the actual medium itself and I started a small pull list of like 5 comics or so. It only grew from there.

In reality, I probably love the idea behind many of DCs characters more than anyone particular run of books where I can point to you and say, "See, that's good comics!" (except maybe my love of Legion). I love the "Pantheon of Gods" or "Ideals" that they embody. I love the idea that Superman was this beacon of Heroism that lasted a 1000 years to inspire a group of kids in the future.

Conceptually, I still like some Marvel characters. I'm still a fan of the X-Men concept. It's why I try to not really bash anything from the Marvel side of things too much. But none of their characters resonate with me quite the same way. Same with indie comics; I have nothing against most of them either, they tell some great stories, but only a small handful have come to mean anything to me (such as Y: The Last Man).

Anyways, just some thoughts, considering the nature of the conversation in the last page and a half.

Vibranium

Banned
I want to read more DC, but I have resigned myself to waiting until DiDio gets his bald head out of the top job. Hopefully they get someone better in there within 5 years.

I really dislike Axel Alonso and Joe Quesaeda too, but at least Marvel is committed to giving artists more free reign and have a nice variety. I just wish they would clean up continuity problems with a soft reboot, and offer better pricing.

Hellers

Pre-New 52 I was a solid DC man but read the odd Marvel title here and there. Post New 52 I wasn't impressed at the start and starting picking up more and more Marvel titles. These days I think I tend to get more enjoyment out of the Marvel stuff but the New-52 titles have been shaping up quite well and I'm enjoying them much more. Back at the beginning I didn't really feel any connection to the New-52 universe. Everything felt disconnected. Now I suppose I must be getting used to it as time goes by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom