• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

This DC/Marvel talk is interesting.

I never really think of it because know it's needed for storytelling.

The only time it confuses me is when characters are in vastly different places across books in the same month, which is why think characters shouldn't have a ton of books.

During No Man's Land, the JLA came to Gotham and Batman told them to get lost, because it was his problem. That's just what Batman does, it's his drive. Although it does sort of ruin the moment at the end of Waid's JLA when Batman bitches out J'onn for wanting to fight the White Martians on his own.

"You're in the Justice League, you are NEVER ALONE!" (Sorry, can't find the panel

I believe that line was from either Morrison or Waid's run

so good

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
All-Newer Marvel Nower or a reboot? Worlds will (literally apparently) collide and nothing will ever be the same again!!!

Excellent! I've been loving how subtle and all-pervasive the time and space stuff at marvel has been. It feels like the event has been earned. Bring it, wrap up your shit Hickman, bring us home!

Just read Fantastic Four #4,, felt pretty weak to me. The first couple issues were alright,, this one just seemed empty. And now the next issue is .. Fantastic Four goes to
court?! idk just felt goofy to me imo

Yeah it sucks. I feel bad, Robinson wrote STARMAN for god's sake. Why does everything else he writes have the stink of fail all over it? Everything he does recently is lumpy, leaden, obvious and a bit dull. BUT HE WROTE STARMAN, SO CONFLICTED.

It did amuse me to see Kirk showing of all his new Immonen-isms this issue. His linework and angularity just scream Immonen, right down to the neat low-detail-in-small-panels stuff and chunks of light reflecting off things (TM Stuart Immonen).

Mindwipe

All-Newer Marvel Nower or a reboot? Worlds will (literally apparently) collide and nothing will ever be the same again!!!

I honestly don't see it happening.

Not least because they wouldn't be going through the slightly torturous corporate Disney manoeuvring to have a Nick Fury that looks like the films etc if they were going to restart the universe anyway when they could have made these changes.

Also, I just don't think they have to. DC's sales boost hasn't lasted long and it's been arguably counterproductive now - it really didn't do that much better than Marvel Now did. Marvel have always been pretty good at moving past from their continuity to tell new stories on the sliding timeline. And they have become exceptionally (even to the point of dullness) good at putting "all their toys back in the box" so no matter how shocking an event happens the consequences are mostly gone in two years and any change is back to being mostly the standard character archetype for film releases.

Batman & Robin Must Die was my favorite arc of the series. After reading a synopsis of RoBW, I'm off to read Inc. on my vacation starting this Wednesday.

Wish I had time to order RoBW, it's sound cool as hell. Maybe go back and read it when I get back.

Vyer

Excellent! I've been loving how subtle and all-pervasive the time and space stuff at marvel has been. It feels like the event has been earned. Bring it, wrap up your shit Hickman, bring us home!

Yeah it sucks. I feel bad, Robinson wrote STARMAN for god's sake. Why does everything else he writes have the stink of fail all over it? Everything he does recently is lumpy, leaden, obvious and a bit dull. BUT HE WROTE STARMAN, SO CONFLICTED.

I've wondered this myself. STARMAN is brilliant, but I've never really enjoyed any of Robinson's work like that since.

kswiston

During No Man's Land, the JLA came to Gotham and Batman told them to get lost, because it was his problem. That's just what Batman does, it's his drive.

See, that's the problem. The JLA should have told Batman to take a hike. You don't gamble with a million lives (or whatever Gotham's population is) to stroke one dude's ego.

I like Batman and the Batbooks, but it is hard to mesh them with the rest of the DCU.

People bring up the mutants a lot as Marvel's version of that, but I can at least come up with some reasons for the disjointed public opinion between them and superheroes. Plenty of racists cheer for the black athletes playing on their favourite teams while disliking black people in general. Ignoring the government-sponsered concentration camp/genocide themes that pop up in the X-books (and don't make much sense), I think a similar thing is going on with the mutants vs Avengers.

I can't really come up with any good reasons for the other superheroes leaving Gotham completely up to Batman and his chosen allies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Two questions comic gaf.

If I want to read Superior Spider-Man, is there anything I need or want to read in order to enjoy it other than the main run itself?

And two I have never really known what are the good FF stories. What is the best stuff written about them?

Gintamen

It's so fucking messy right now. Even Uncanny Avengers has it's own mutant earth parallel dimension, Thor and his battle against Galactus, Avengers and New Avengers dealing with the incursion, the X-men created a whole other problem with the original five in the currenttime. It's like half of the series are focusing on something big, but all still with their own storyline which has little to do with the other series. To come full circle, it's a big fat mess.

They got through many decades without a reboot, but it's time to get it right again already.

Two questions comic gaf.

If I want to read Superior Spider-Man, is there anything I need or want to read in order to enjoy it other than the main run itself?

You need to read amazing Spider-Man "Dying Wish" I Beleive it in the first superior hardcover

And two I have never really known what are the good FF stories. What is the best stuff written about them?

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman

kswiston

Depends if you can handle retro comics. If so, then the Stan and Jack run still has some great stuff in it, and the John Byrne run was pretty important in shaping the characters into who they currently are. If you want to skip old comics and their cheesy dialogue, get Mark Waid's run and Hickman's run. Those are the two best runs of the last 20 years.

It's a lot of comic, but I think reading Big Time adds a lot to the story, since so much of what makes Superior fun is watching SpOck tear down everything Peter has been building for himself. But it's all optional....if you really just want the lead-in I think you'd be fine to just grab ASM 698-700, that's where it all kicks off. If you want to expand on that grab Ends of the Earth as well...Doc Ock's last great bid for world domination pre-Superior. 698-700 is a much more personal story.

ReAxion

EAST OF WEST #12
ROCKET GIRL #5
SAGA #19
VELVET #5
ZERO #8

ALL NEW DOOP #2
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2
ELEKTRA #2
MAGNETO #4
ORIGINAL SIN #2

BUNKER #4
TRANSLUCID #2

Finger on the trigger:
MANHATTAN PROJECTS TP VOL 04

AgAwzMF.jpg

I can't really come up with any good reasons for the other superheroes leaving Gotham completely up to Batman and his chosen allies.

Because it's what people do. They're invested in their own self interest, I'm not saying it's a good thing but it's not far from real life. Have you seen what Detroit is like? Or fucking Camden?

During No Man's Land, the JLA came to Gotham and Batman told them to get lost, because it was his problem. That's just what Batman does, it's his drive. Although it does sort of ruin the moment at the end of Waid's JLA when Batman bitches out J'onn for wanting to fight the White Martians on his own.

"You're in the Justice League, you are NEVER ALONE!" (Sorry, can't find the panel
One thing that's irked me about Batman in recent years is the idea of nightly patrols. Like Gotham is such an awful place where everyone is a potential mugger/rapist/murderer/psycho, and Gotham PD is so corrupt and inept at its job, that it can't survive one night without its Dark Knight swooping in for the rescue without turning into Escape from New York.

arkon

So, somebody help me out here. I'm more or less all caught up on TMNT from IDW, and I've started to look forward to whatever trades may come out next. Is there any better way to look up what's solicited other than hoping Amazon (which is kind of hard to search on since so many things get tagged TMNT, even if you narrow it down to comics and IDW) or Wikipedia or whatever is accurate? I want to know what's coming down the line, but I can't find anything outside of the solicits for June, and I figure there's gotta be a better way to keep track of this stuff.

Just keep your eyes out for the IDW solicitations that come out each month. They're usually 2-3 months ahead. Don't think the August 2014 ones are out yet but July's are. Most comics sites will throw them up every month e.g. newsarama, cbr etc..

Had a quick google and found this: http://www.comicrelated.com/news/4514/idw-solicits-archive.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Because it's what people do. They're invested in their own self interest, I'm not saying it's a good thing but it's not far from real life. Have you seen what Detroit is like? Or fucking Camden?
We don't live in a world with superheroes. You start comparing the dcu and the mcu to real life and you are introducing a whole host of problems

I feel more attached to reading DC's "solo" series than Marvel, I feel they had better character.. but for team-up or crossover thing, its seem Marvel seem more fit for that.

Like other said before, DC's character just not mesh up as well.. Justice League concept will never make sense. Batfamily and maybe World's Finest (plus Wonder Woman) is the only team-up that I can take seriously from DC.

But that said, screw team-up comics anyway :p

I'm pretty in the tank for solo Marvel these days. They're all so vibrantly unique.

Penguin

One thing that's irked me about Batman in recent years is the idea of nightly patrols. Like Gotham is such an awful place where everyone is a potential mugger/rapist/murderer/psycho, and Gotham PD is so corrupt and inept at its job, that it can't survive one night without its Dark Knight swooping in for the rescue without turning into Escape from New York.

I think it comes from the ultimate dark/gritty/brooding Batman that people love.

Not that he shouldn't have some of those qualities. But always thought BTAS struck such a fine balance for him. Where he had some edge, but also had some humor to him. And his supporting cast were there to add even more levity instead of simply scolding him

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's a lot of comic, but I think reading Big Time adds a lot to the story, since so much of what makes Superior fun is watching SpOck tear down everything Peter has been building for himself. But it's all optional....if you really just want the lead-in I think you'd be fine to just grab ASM 698-700, that's where it all kicks off. If you want to expand on that grab Ends of the Earth as well...Doc Ock's last great bid for world domination pre-Superior. 698-700 is a much more personal story.
How good is big time?

I honestly don't see it happening.

Not least because they wouldn't be going through the slightly torturous corporate Disney manoeuvring to have a Nick Fury that looks like the films etc if they were going to restart the universe anyway when they could have made these changes.

Also, I just don't think they have to. DC's sales boost hasn't lasted long and it's been arguably counterproductive now - it really didn't do that much better than Marvel Now did. Marvel have always been pretty good at moving past from their continuity to tell new stories on the sliding timeline. And they have become exceptionally (even to the point of dullness) good at putting "all their toys back in the box" so no matter how shocking an event happens the consequences are mostly gone in two years and any change is back to being mostly the standard character archetype for film releases.

Totally agreed. Reminds me of the inane rumors/speculation from two years back that AvX would end with the Phoenix rebooting the Marvel U, and I'm confident that there's about as much basis in reality this time.

Penguin

I believe this will be the first time DC has ever published two ongoing Wonder Woman books concurrently, so this is arguably a bigger deal than it might first appear to be. Sounds like a solid mix of creators too.

I mean technically Superman/Wonder Woman would be a second book for her.

But guess as fair as solo titles.

kswiston

So I guess Marvel decided that yearly events aren't enough. Now we get overlapping events!

I like Aaron, Remender, and Hickman, and am reading the Avengers titles, so I guess I am getting all 3 of these events...

ReiGun

As much as I love the JLA and the Teen Titans, I do like how each of DC's big heroes exists in their own little world. Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, etc all feel like they have entire universes full of history all their own that you can explore and more or less ignore the other characters if you want. It's why I kind of shrug when people complain Azz's Wonder Woman feels disconnected from everything else; I get why it bothers the continuity nuts, but I think that world of Greek superhero soap opera is fun all on its own.

Mind you, I also enjoy Marvel's more connected universe to an extent. I just wish so much of it didn't take place in New York. As someone who doesn't feel the same connection nor sense of awe that most people seem to with that city, it's kind of annoying to have so much of the universe tied to that one place.

The nightly patrols was weird to me too when I started reading comics. The animated stuff and the movies gave me the impression that Batman only comes around when a case requires his attention, not that he's out every night, stopping every bit of crime in Gotham. I mean, does the odd purse snatcher really require the attention of a guy who regularly fights the Joker?

DCs cities are as iconic as their characters. Can't really say the same about Marvel.

Say that to parts of say, Detroit or Chicago.

Also sounds like Spiderman or Millar Daredevil (he'd binge do it until he was near collapse). Hell, most of the Marvel Knights characters do it.

Penguin

New York City is not iconic? Its like the most popular city in the world

I think he means iconic in their own way

New York City is New York City whether it's in the Avengers or Ninja Turtles or just walking down the street

Gotham is only ever Gotham. Which is why some folks complained when it was Chicago and New York in the movies.

Look at the show, Gotham, the name tells people stuff without saying Batman. Now the rest... is up for debate

phoenixyz

Hell-yea-Saga-List:

Saga #19

Batman Eternal #7
Batman and Robin/Frankenstein #31
Batman/Superman #11
Forever Evil #7
Harley Quinn #6
Justice League #30

Magneto #4

Tradewait:
American Vampire Second Cycle #3
Zero #8
East Of West #12

ReiGun

Why doesn't Wonder Woman have a city (besides the one on the island)? Or did she have one and they just don't use it anymore?

We don't live in a world with superheroes. You start comparing the dcu and the mcu to real life and you are introducing a whole host of problems

No we don't have superheroes but we do have programs, people, and groups that have worked hard in other cities and areas to solve these problems. They've brought their city to nicer standings but haven't moved on to do the same else where.

Listen I group up 30 minutes from NYC and NYC in the 80s and 90s was a fucking shit hole. It's not the generally safe, tourist vacation spot, every one have a great time place it is now. Hell 42nd Street wasn't a place to find Disney, Hershey's and M&Ms. It was seedy strip clubs, prostitutes and drug dealers. It's not like that any more, why haven't the people who helped clean up NYC gone to help clean up Detroit?

Didn't WW used to do a lot of shit based out of Washington DC? Or am I remembering wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom