• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

I feel more attached to reading DC's "solo" series than Marvel, I feel they had better character.. but for team-up or crossover thing, its seem Marvel seem more fit for that.

Like other said before, DC's character just not mesh up as well.. Justice League concept will never make sense. Batfamily and maybe World's Finest (plus Wonder Woman) is the only team-up that I can take seriously from DC.

But that said, screw team-up comics anyway :p

LIST:
BOOM!:
TRANSLUCID #2

DC COMICS:
BATMAN ETERNAL #7
FOREVER EVIL #7

IDW:
TMNT 30TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

ROCKET GIRL #5
SAGA #19
VELVET #5
ZERO #8

MARVEL:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2
AMAZING X-MEN #7
DAREDEVIL #3
ELEKTRA #2
ORIGINAL SIN #2

I started reading comics with 2 things Superman, and The X-Men (current and Classic X-Men). This was like mid to late 80's and eventually over the next decade it expanded hardcore. By the mid 90's I was pulling probably some where between 20 - 40+ comics from each company a month. Plus a shit ton of Image stuff. Though I grew more into the DC side of things. Like some others have said the Characters resonated with me more. While I loved Spider-man, the X-Men, Moon Knight, Dr Doom, and really all the Mutant books, I never connected with Captain America, Iron man, Thor, The Avengers, Hulk, Punisher, or most of their other big characters. Ironically I love some of the Cinematic versions of those characters. I find the cinematic version of Stark far more interesting than his comic counter park.

*edit* I just wanted to add to this day I think the Byrne/Claremont run on X-Men is one of my favorite comic runs of all time.

I find the notion that Marvel's heroes "make more sense" or are "more cohesive" to be kind of curious, that is... A world with Captain America, Ironman and Thor is more logical than one with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman? Also, half of the characters are carbon copies of those in the other.

I click on DC centric Newsarama Facebook posts knowing what I am going to see but always hoping that I am going to be wrong this time.

Always nice to see some new troll variation of New 52: This week presented us with "Spew Thrifty Flu". Hrm. Well, keep trying guys.

kswiston

I find the notion that Marvel's heroes "make more sense" or are "more cohesive" to be kind of curious, that is... A world with Captain America, Ironman and Thor is more logical than one with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman? Also, half of the characters are carbon copies of those in the other.

It's not so much the power differences as the cohesion of the world. I think some of that comes from the fact that Marvel generally uses the real world (with a few fake countries like Latveria or Wakanda), where DC takes more liberties. Even if you let it slide that groups like the Avengers and JLA would mix normal or near normal humans in with their roster of figurative (and sometimes literal) gods, why is Gotham or Bludhaven left to be shitholes when Metropolis and Central/Keystone city show how much of a difference the present of a superpowered guardian can make to the community?

I'm sure that DC has some handwavy excuse for why the real superpowers leave Batman to his own futile devices, but someone like Captain Atom could clean up the majority of Batman's rogues in 10 minutes.

http://multiversitycomics.com/news/...00-details-on-axis-and-time-runs-out-in-2015/

Next, we now know a bit more about “Axis,” the previously teased event from C2E2. While the logo has changed (formally featuring an Avengers A and an X-Men X), the series will be written by Rick Remender and apparently features the new Axis of Evil: Green Goblin, Loki, Sabretooth, Red Skull (all Onslaught’d out), Doctor Doom and Carnage. I’m reminded a bit of the whole Dark Reign thing but there’s no further details on this one yet. It’s featured in the June 2014 Previews, though (as the Jim Cheung cover was shown), so I imagine we’ll know more very soon. No artist yet, unless Rick Remender is drawing it too, which would be interesting.

AXIS BY RICK RICK RICK RICK RICK

#SNL

It's not so much the power differences as the cohesion of the world. I think some of that comes from the fact that Marvel generally uses the real world (with a few fake countries like Latveria or Wakanda), where DC takes more liberties. Even if you let it slide that groups like the Avengers and JLA would mix normal or near normal humans in with their roster of figurative (and sometimes literal) gods, why is Gotham or Bludhaven left to be shitholes when Metropolis and Central/Keystone city show how much of a difference the present of a superpowered guardian can make to the community?

I'm sure that DC has some handwavy excuse for why the real superpowers leave Batman to his own futile devices, but someone like Captain Atom could clean up the majority of Batman's rogues in 10 minutes.

Still don't really get why that same logic doesn't apply to the bad guys faced by marvel's street level heroes.

Village

Best part about original sin is that it has the real nick fury

Considering I never found that nick fury interesting or compelling in anyway.

That kinda annoys me.

Like " oh... you still... exist. They haven't reconnected you yet. Well in due time."

oh.. its that guy. Neat

That reaction reserved also reserved for gambit, jublli other crap x men related characters, and who I happen to be hating on at the moment.

Has any writer ever made Carnage interesting or tolerable?

The best usage of Carnage I saw was in that Batman/Superman team-up where Joker decides to not team up with him because he's such a one-dimensional lame cornball

jgxg8hyKsTZob.jpg

jNsfczc3fQbkL.jpg

Because they aren't left to terrorize/rule a major american city.

New York? Hells Kitchen? (Red Batman?!) Marvel has the issue of 90% of everything happening in New York or upstate New York, and 90% of heroes being based there.

I understand what you are trying to say but I see it more about the power structures that are in place in Metropolis vs. Gotham (besides the obvious reasons: comic books) But the real answer is, rogue galleries form for a hero where ever they go. If Captain Atom showed up in Gotham, villains of his caliber would arise. It's the nature of comics. Also, he'd probably have issues trying to deal with villains he couldn't just punch in the face.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The best usage of Carnage I saw was in that Batman/Superman team-up where Joker decides to not team up with him because he's such a one-dimensional lame cornball

That's some brilliant shit right there. Joker's pop culture references are spot-on too, for the 90s.

phoenixyz

This. It would be much more coherent if they split Gotham City off the DCU imo.

Mindwipe

I'd put money on OG Fury being dead by the end of this.

Given one of the covers is him having being shot...

There is an alternate rumour from BC though.

That Nick Fury becomes the new Watcher. Which I don't actually hate, compared to the alternative of him dying so everyone can pretend he's always been a black guy from now on.

kswiston

New York? Hells Kitchen? (Red Batman?!) Marvel has the issue of 90% of everything happening in New York or upstate New York, and 90% of heroes being based there.

I understand what you are trying to say but I see it more about the power structures that are in place in Metropolis vs. Gotham (besides the obvious reasons: comic books) But the real answer is, rogue galleries form for a hero where ever they go. If Captain Atom showed up in Gotham, villains of his caliber would arise. It's the nature of comics. Also, he'd probably have issues trying to deal with villains he couldn't just punch in the face.

I think it's more of the status quo aspect that doesn't mesh. Horrible stuff happens to New York or Metropolis all the time because comic books need some drama for heroes to deal with, but the status quo of both cities is pretty normal city life (well normal given the circumstances). We are supposed to buy that Gotham status quo is horrible corruption, fear, and despair because its Batman's home turf and no one has the guts to tell him that what he is doing isn't working.

I will admit that I don't really read many Post-New 52 DC titles, but before that, there was a general sense of optimism in most DC cities. Central/Keystone city has a shrine to the Flash family, Superman receives the same treatment in Metropolis, Coast city stood united with the Green Lanterns during one of the events happening there, etc. Then you have the cities that the Bat-family is involved in that are the polar opposite.

The closest thing Marvel has to that is the situation with its mutant characters, which has been addressed some in recent years. The Mutants are also pretty isolationist, which probably didn't help matters in the past.

Vyer

Lots of heroes could 'clean up' a majority of another hero's villains easily, DC and Marvel.

I really don't think there's anything more 'real life' about either of the two companies when you start to dig down into it. A different superpowered hero moving into a city makes no more or less sense than some massive persecution of mutants in a world filled with superpowered wierdos. If anything, some people might find the use of 'real world' cities to be more distracting, or the fact that the vast majority of stories (such as in Marvel's case) take place in one city you really don't have any connection with.

Given one of the covers is him having being shot...

There is an alternate rumour from BC though.

That Nick Fury becomes the new Watcher. Which I don't actually hate, compared to the alternative of him dying so everyone can pretend he's always been a black guy from now on.

I think this is pretty much obviously what's going to happen,
with this the last line series something Man Without Fear perfect like "I still got the one eye left. Good enough."

Owzers

used my comixology credit to buy hickman's ultimates 1-6 to catch up to the issues that came with digital codes. Really liked his short run on the book.

kswiston

used my comixology credit to buy hickman's ultimates 1-6 to catch up to the issues that came with digital codes. Really liked his short run on the book.

I need to read that one day. For some reason it is hard for me to give a crap about the Ultimate books, even if the runs are good. I would imagine that Hickman's run is on Marvel Unlimited at this point though.

Messi

Running in Amazing Spider-Man, and presumably 2099 and Ultimate aswell. There's also the two new issues of Superior we're getting.

Oh, Do you have any idea for how long?

Edit: Wait, two more Superior issues? That fucker better let Anna Maria down easily before he goes away again. Peter did a horrible job.

Just read Fantastic Four #4,, felt pretty weak to me. The first couple issues were alright,, this one just seemed empty. And now the next issue is .. Fantastic Four goes to
court?! idk just felt goofy to me imo

diaspora

Oh, Do you have any idea for how long?

Edit: Wait, two more Superior issues? That fucker better let Anna Maria down easily before he goes away again. Peter did a horrible job.

He's not coming back, it's issues detailing what heppened when Octavius got thrown through time when he fucked up the time machine in SSM 19.

Zombine

Banned
Not sure how I feel about that if the outcome being rumored is true, but it should be a pretty epic story with Hickman at the Helm. Better at least than the Flash resetting the DCU because his mom was killed.

Have we decided on what the best comic reader is yet? I'm in the market for either an IPad Air or a Kindle and I don't know what to get. I already have an iPhone so I'll knee deep into the Apple ecosystem, but I really want someone that looks the best for Comixology.

Oh, and why's that? Batman is part of the damned Justice League. It just doesn't make sense that none of his superpowered buddies brought order to Gotham City.

During No Man's Land, the JLA came to Gotham and Batman told them to get lost, because it was his problem. That's just what Batman does, it's his drive. Although it does sort of ruin the moment at the end of Waid's JLA when Batman bitches out J'onn for wanting to fight the White Martians on his own.

"You're in the Justice League, you are NEVER ALONE!" (Sorry, can't find the panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom