• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
I really wanted her to sign my copy of her artbook at Comic Con the year it came out but I literally missed her every time I went by... At least I have the SDCC variant of her artbook.

The IDW one? Yeah, That was my first year going to C2E2 and I remember being bummed that the book was still like a few weeks from coming out and I wouldn't have a copy for her to sign. I got it signed this year though;)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Loki is pretty awesome but im seriously contemplating dropping all new x men. I have to go back and re read ten issues to figure out what the hell is going on every time a new issue comes out. I wish they would wrap up this whole time traveling arc already.

Bii

So started Batman Inc. tonight.

Reeoowrr!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoDQqh7IUAAfMRn.jpg

Yes, I'm wearing Batman PJ's.

That's pretty hot. The comic too. :p

Daredevil #1.50

14040584208_7f7bd80168_o.jpg

Celebrating 50 years of Daredevil! I gotta say, this Paolo Rivera cover is so goddamn awesome. I'm a bit biased, though, since I've always loved Paolo's work. Especially how he uses himself as references for nearly everything he draws. Here's a post on his blog with a glimpse of what he used for the cover: http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/2014/04/wacky-reference-wednesdays-no-259.html

This special anniversary issue gives you three stories. I can easily tell you that the ones by Brian Michael Bendis and Karl Kesel are not worth reading. The former was very predictable and the latter was so completely disjointed that I didn't want to read it any further after a few panels (Mike Murdock? Seriously?!). Let's focus on Mark Waid's story. Here, you catch a glimpse of Matt Murdock turning 50 and he no longer dons the Daredevil suit. Of course, certain events have him coming out of retirement but the real deal is the relationship between himself and his son. Though the mother was never named (or was she? *smiles*), Waid does a great job of throwing hints of what's in store for Daredevil in his current run. Oh, and Javier Rodriguez's art is always a pleasure to look at. Check out the scene with Daredevil/Black Widow below, hnnng!

14227017274_43ae61de36_o.jpg
14224904342_6f2990786f_o.jpg

14227017104_47d046f807_o.jpg

Creep

Anyone want the Marvel digital code to Daredevil #1.50? Just promise me you won't read Kesel's story. :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I almost dont dare (Pun intended :D) to ask, because I already got some Punisher codes, but if you are ok with it, I would take the code ;)

Bii

I almost dont dare (Pun intended :D) to ask, because I already got some Punisher codes, but if you are ok with it, I would take the code ;)

First come, first serve. PM incoming.
Besides, I plan to give all of my Marvel digital codes away (including the new issues I pick up). I already have the physical comics so I don't really need a digital copy of it, and I can't be bothered to sell them.

I don't really need any responses but I'm reading Ultimate X-Men and this thing is like the ultimate (hehehe) tease.

Hellfire Club leading to the emergence of Phoenix? Nope! Sinister leading to the arrival of Apocalypse? Ha ha! Tricked you! Angel being pinned on the wall by his wings...almost as if he was going to get metal wings? Wishful thinking, FUBAR!

I'm at issue 69 right now. This is like comic book blue balls.

nooooooooo you were supposed to stop at 65!!!!!!!!!!

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
Man, I got really excited when I heard Stjepan Sejic was doing something at DC. Turns out it's on the Infinite Crisis game tie-in. Bummer.
He needs to take over Wonder Woman once Chiang leaves. Or Catwoman, whenever they get a new team on that.

ReAxion

I rec'd Rover Red Charlie in the Crossed thread, and it was recommended in here months ago when at #1. Same world, just the story of dogs instead of the fucked up people. Good dogs. Happy dogs.

I think it's only six issues anyway, should be wrapping up whenever this last one comes out.

Toa TAK

Banned
I rec'd Rover Red Charlie in the Crossed thread, and it was recommended in here months ago when at #1. Same world, just the story of dogs instead of the fucked up people. Good dogs. Happy dogs.

I think it's only six issues anyway, should be wrapping up whenever this last one comes out.

I'm willing to bet the dogs will probably be horribly mutilated and die by the end.

Cheska

Bye Bye Birthday Money List

BATMAN ETERNAL #7 $2.99
BLACK CANARY AND ZATANNA BLOODSPELL HC
HARLEY QUINN #6
WONDER WOMAN #31

EAST OF WEST #12
ROCKET GIRL #5
SAGA #19
VELVET #5
ZERO #8

DAREDEVIL #3
ELEKTRA #2
IMMORTAL IRON FIST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 02 (IST Order)
X-FACTOR BY PETER DAVID TP VOL 02 COMPLETE COLLECTION (IST Order)

Maaaaybes
Batman/Superman #11
Batwoman #31

VeeP

So they started a Batman Beyond comic? How is it?

Batman Beyond 2.0 is excellent. It continues from the show, a year maybe two later. Terry is in college now. Art style, dialogue, etc. all feel like the show.

Futures End just started up. It also has Batman Beyond in it. Pretty interesting so far. I reccomened checking it out

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman Beyond 2.0 is excellent. It continues from the show, a year maybe two later. Terry is in college now. Art style, dialogue, etc. all feel like the show.

Futures End just started up. It also has Batman Beyond in it. Pretty interesting so far. I reccomened checking it out

There's also a great run from before 2.0, it's a lot more fun honestly.

Owzers

I thought they were .99 cents too. Not much of a sale in that case, but still a good deal.

limited time only, go go go go go!

I really want to know what the sale is now in this sale. This is going to rival the Humble Bundle Banner Saga deal that didn't include Banner Saga.

limited time only, go go go go go!

I really want to know what the sale is now in this sale. This is going to rival the Humble Bundle Banner Saga deal that didn't include Banner Saga.

Not the first time Comixology have advertised and run a so-called sale on digital first comics. The entire Arrow digital first run was part of the recent Green Arrow sale I believe. So misleading.

clockpunk

Damnation, *just* missed out on a cheap run of Injustice: Year One - absolutely gutted, as the series would have looked awesome framed on my spare room's wall. :-/

Zombine

Banned
Black Canary and Zatana finally releasing this week? Yessssssssss. I don't even know if I would be able to wait for IST to deliver.

nooooooooo you were supposed to stop at 65!!!!!!!!!!

I remembered this as I was reading like 66 or 67 and said screw it. Not a terrible drop in quality yet. Plus I want to see if Apocalypse actually shows up.

Give me a yes or no, plz. If no I might just stop at 75 or something and go back to Ultimate spiderman

Zombine

Banned
Can I just say, I think Zatanna is kind of a dumb character. My bias against most magic based characters aside, the whole speaking backwards thing is just dumb.

Also,

Yes it is silly as hell but I'm mostly excited for the art. Do you have a list of acceptable magic based characters in DC/Marvel?

Yes it is silly as hell but I'm mostly excited for the art. Do you have a list of acceptable magic based characters in DC/Marvel?

Oh you don't have to justify anything brah. I was just making a comment. If I had to pick specific instances of magic characters I like it's probably Shazam/Black Adam/Amethyst/Dr. Fate. Outside of Dr. Fate I prefer specific power sets as opposed to "I can make anything happen".

Are there previews of the art?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
First come, first serve. PM incoming.
Besides, I plan to give all of my Marvel digital codes away (including the new issues I pick up). I already have the physical comics so I don't really need a digital copy of it, and I can't be bothered to sell them.

So you won't be able to vote for Marvel books anymore?

Monthly

It was not to start until July but after calculating my LCS discount with shipping cost and other things, I decided to hold off for the moment. Thinking if your gonna DCBS, go all in with it.

It was not to start until July but after calculating my LCS discount with shipping cost and other things, I decided to hold off for the moment. Thinking if your gonna DCBS, go all in with it.

Its very tempting. I was messing around with it,, I'd be able to save a good amount of money. But just not positive if I want to go that route yet.. dammit I'm not good with decisions..

Yeah, I slept on it, awoke to hold off. Something has to happen. Marvel is double shipping a bunch of titles in July. DC is now double shipping Harley starting in August.

https://twitter.com/jpalmiotti/status/468731675078586369

Yay for double Harley, bad for wallet.

Is it alright to imagine you waking up in a cold sweat at the thought of having to wait a month for books?

The one comfort about the weeklies and double shipping Harley is they are still $2.99, thank Goodness. But part of me is surprised they aren't looking towards more double shipments. Who knows, maybe they are?

So what is the cheapest way to read comics legally? I have been trade waiting and shopping for deals but I've come to the conclusion that it simply might be too expensive of a hobby for me as a casual fan. For example to read the entirety of Y The Last Man which is 60 issues long you are looking at around a $100 investment which is a sizable chunk of change imo. I know people have different tastes and price tolerances but when I can buy a top tier AAA title during a STEAM sale for $10 it really drives the point home that being a comic fan is not cheap.

As primarily a Marvel fan Marvel Unlimited seems to be an ideal product for me but unfortunately there does not seem to be an Image or DC equivalent which stinks.

Am I just being a cheapskate? I'm sure its a bit of a hot button issue within the community but as a casual fan I think I am simply going to be priced out at this point.

So what is the cheapest way to read comics legally? I have been trade waiting and shopping for deals but I've come to the conclusion that it simply might be too expensive of a hobby for me as a casual fan. For example to read the entirety of Y The Last Man which is 60 issues long you are looking at around a $100 investment which is a sizable chunk of change imo. I know people have different tastes and price tolerances but when I can buy a top tier AAA title during a STEAM sale for $10 it really drives the point home that being a comic fan is not cheap.

As primarily a Marvel fan Marvel Unlimited seems to be an ideal product for me but unfortunately there does not seem to be an Image or DC equivalent which stinks.

Am I just being a cheapskate? I'm sure its a bit of a hot button issue within the community but as a casual fan I think I am simply going to be priced out at this point.

Yeah, it's expensive even with tradewaiting. Took me like 2 years from the first volume of sandman I bought to the last.

Comics just don't seem to be popular enough any more to hit low prices.
Isn't a good solution beyond bargain hunting/used book stores.

If you have a local public library system you might try seeing what trades they have in their system and check them out.

tim1138

The absolute cheapest way is through your local public library system. You may be surprised what they have and what you can get via interlibrary loan.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You don't have to buy/read them all at the same time y'know. IMO the mistake a lot of new fans make is that they go ALL IN and spend too much money too quickly and get burned out. Interested in a series? Buy Volume One and read it. If you like it, buy more. One at a time. Until you either finish it, or get sick of it. You don't have to buy them all in the same month, you don't have to buy them regularly. I have books I enjoy that I pick up a new volume of maybe once a year. It's fine, it'll be there forever. To me, this is also another reason why Omnibus editions are a bad idea. What if you don't like the first 50 pages of this 1000 page book?

Marvel Unlimited is great value fo sho.

It's not so much that you're a cheapskate, it's more that many in the Comics community are either rich, single or controlled by their OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom