• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I really hope double shipping Harley Quinn won't hurt the quality of the book. It reeks of greed by dc. They know harley has a huge fan base that is easily exploited, hence why she appears in so many books.

Okay, making my way through the last ten or so years of major Marvel storylines, and I'm now in early 2007, having just finished Civil War. Eh, pretty good, I guess, but I read the other 2006/2007 crossover right before that... Annihilation. And it was certainly better.

Now I guess I'll read a few odds and ends from right in there... see where New Avengers goes post Civil War, as well as Brubaker's Captain America (I do already know that
Bucky takes over the role now
). Also maybe check in on X- and Spider- ville a bit. Oh, and I think I missed something about the Inhumans... that Silent War thing. I did read Son of M before Civil War, and the Black Panther part of CW (and the part of CW where the Sentry goes up there). So I have the gist of what's happening there, but wouldn't mind getting the details.

Then it's time for Annihilation: Conquest and Planet/WWW Hulk!

PSA: Chew sale on comixology.

Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't read it. Excellent art and writing throughout, and a very well defined, hilarious universe.

tim1138

Okay, making my way through the last ten or so years of major Marvel storylines, and I'm now in early 2007, having just finished Civil War. Eh, pretty good, I guess, but I read the other 2006/2007 crossover right before that... Annihilation. And it was certainly better.

Now I guess I'll read a few odds and ends from right in there... see where New Avengers goes post Civil War, as well as Brubaker's Captain America (I do already know that
). Also maybe check in on X- and Spider- ville a bit. Oh, and I think I missed something about the Inhumans... that Silent War thing. I did read Son of M before Civil War, and the Black Panther part of CW (and the part of CW where the Sentry goes up there). So I have the gist of what's happening there, but wouldn't mind getting the details.

Read Planet Hulk and then pretend there is no such thing as World War Hulk. Its better that way.

I really hope double shipping Harley Quinn won't hurt the quality of the book. It reeks of greed by dc. They know harley has a huge fan base that is easily exploited, hence why she appears in so many books.

I think it depends entirely on the writer and whether they can handle the commitment. Batman Eternal quadruple ships and its been great so far. Granted, the writing is probably split between people.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Read Planet Hulk and then pretend there is no such thing as World War Hulk. Its better that way.

Dude's on a fool's errand.

Duane, read EVERYTHING. All the tie ins, all the one shots and cash in books. You're not really doing comics unless you read everything. TBH if you're only reading the events you're also doing it wrong, you should also be reading Avengers, Iron Man, Cap and Spidey at the very least. You're not really doing comics unless you read everything.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Benjy pls... the end of Trinity War led to Forever Evil.

-----------

Anyway I found a nice site which summarized all the plot points of every Forever Evil tie-in:
http://www.squidoo.com/forever-evil

Personally, you should just read the Forever Evil, Justice League and JLA 10 summaries. Everything else is not required.

Maybe it's just the tiredness and crankiness talking but this is bloody hilarious. The comics were so unessential that it's not even worth reading the summaries! lmao

But no, read everything.

Dude's on a fool's errand.

Duane, read EVERYTHING. All the tie ins, all the one shots and cash in books. You're not really doing comics unless you read everything. TBH if you're only reading the events you're also doing it wrong, you should also be reading Avengers, Iron Man, Cap and Spidey at the very least. You're not really doing comics unless you read everything.

Haha, that's not far from what I'm doing, actually. Right now, I'm reading the first six issues of Mighty Avengers.

Maybe it's just the tiredness and crankiness talking but this is bloody hilarious. The comics were so unessential that it's not even worth reading the summaries! lmao

But no, read everything.

Haha, the other tie-ins aren't essential at all to the main storyline. They all use the "missing heroes" setting of FE to do their own thing. Hell, you just need to read FE 1-6 and JL 24-29 to know everything.

Ryan Higgins tweeted about Forever Evil #7 (not a spoiler, just a reaction but spoiler tagging anyways).

Yessssssssssss! Forever Evil #7 is AMAZING! So much craziness in the last few pages. @geoffjohns and Finch kill it, totally worth the wait.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haha, that's not far from what I'm doing, actually. Right now, I'm reading the first six issues of Mighty Avengers.

Spread the net wider then, there's always more!

Haha, the other tie-ins aren't essential at all to the main storyline. They all use the "missing heroes" setting of FE to do their own thing. Hell, you just need to read FE 1-6 and JL 24-29 to know everything.

So wait a second, you're saying that a company publishes unnessential, nay - pointless comics? It's a fucking DISGRACE. We should petition them.

Ryan Higgins tweeted about Forever Evil #7 (not a spoiler, just a reaction but spoiler tagging anyways).

Yessssssssssss! Forever Evil #7 is AMAZING! So much craziness in the last few pages. @geoffjohns and Finch kill it, totally worth the wait.

I don't think I like Ryan Higgins because he reminds too much of 2005 me and the Xbox 360.

ElNarez

Banned
Still sad about All-Star Western, but eh, the book got about 26 more issues than I had expected it to, anyways: LIST
American Vampire Second Cycle #3
Batman and Frankenstein #31
Batman Eternal #7
Batman Superman #11
Forever Evil #7
Justice League #30
Justice League of America #14
New 52 Future's End #3
Wonder Woman #31

East of West #12
Saga #10
Velvet #5
Zero #8

All-New Doop #2
Elektra #2
Magneto #4
Miracleman #6
Nova #17
Original Sin #2
Thor God of Thunder #22
Uncanny X-Men #21

Batman '66 is also on sale, but tbh i thought it was always 99 cents. ah well, i'm probably gonna splurge on that

The price jumped to $1.99 a while back, which is when I dropped it. 99 cents is the sweet spot for digital comics and DC was stupid to try and buck that trend. Marvel is even worse with their $2.99 comics, which I refuse to get on that price. Luckily, theis sale has allowed me to swoop in and catch up on Batman '66, which I enjoyed initially.

Batman Beyond 2.0 is excellent. It continues from the show, a year maybe two later. Terry is in college now. Art style, dialogue, etc. all feel like the show.

Futures End just started up. It also has Batman Beyond in it. Pretty interesting so far. I reccomened checking it out

Funnily enough, I also decided to splurge and get the entire Batman Beyond 2.0 and Justice League Beyond 2.0 series right before the Batman '66 sale. I heard they were doing a
Justice Lords
story and just needed to check that out. I had read some of the previous Batman Beyond runs, and they were just okay, but so far the 2.0 series have both been excellent. I love all the ties to the BTAS and JLU universe. Had me geeking out, especially the Dick Grayson/Barbara Gordon diner discussion issue. If the cartoons were your jam, definitely get into these series.

I don't think I like Ryan Higgins because he reminds too much of 2005 me and the Xbox 360.

His general attitude towards DC reminds me of a very dark time in my life.

Birdie, I love your posts

Another Comixology sale! I really want Revival but if that Zatanna and Black Canary book is this week I'm gonna have to pass on the sale. Although I could just order that and the Revival HC and third trade off of IST...

Messi

Spread the net wider then, there's always more!

So wait a second, you're saying that a company publishes unnessential, nay - pointless comics? It's a fucking DISGRACE. We should petition them.

But then we wouldn't get CLASSIC moments like this.

tumblr_mdi0elH26p1qgfe3m.jpg

Or this

Both in issues one after another btw...

Nearing the end of my own journey through the last decade of Marvel. I wrapped up both Age of Ultron and AvX over the last couple of weeks and, god help me, I enjoyed them both. I'm gonna ramble about AvX now...I'll try to spoiler the big twists.

AvX got off to a pretty awful start. The big battles between the two teams were boring, uninspired, completely without stakes. The whole period of time where the Phoenix is traveling to Earth was poorly constructed and executed. The first Avengers crossover and the Secret Avengers crossover felt like alternate takes on the same mission. I still can't wrap my head around both of those books actually happening -
Noh-Varr somehow manages to betray the team twice on the same mission??
- but they were both pretty bad so whatever.

When the Phoenix Five show up though, things get interesting, and while it may have gone on a bit long, I enjoyed watching it all play out. I still think it's kinda weird and lame that one of those fragments goes to Colossus and not Magneto, particularly given the fallout that takes place in Uncanny X-Men afterwards. But watching Scott slowly go completely
Dark Phoenix
was pretty cool.

I was surprised to find myself agreeing with the Avengers through pretty much the entire story....going in with some familiarity of the events and a fondness for the X-Men, I expected to side with Cyclops. Blind faith has been a major theme with the X-Men dating all the way back to House of M, and they finally paid for it. Cyclops' belief that the Phoenix is a force for good for mutants is COMPLETELY INSANE when you reflect upon its history. I thought it was a terrific twist of irony that
Xavier's own blind faith in his bond with Cyclops results in his demise. And now that I've actually read the whole event, I have a lot of trouble blaming Scott for that.

The conclusion of the story was handled much better than the last big hero vs. hero brawl event (Civil War). Both sides were vindicated in the end:
the Phoenix ended up being just as destructive and dangerous as the Avengers predicted, even when Hope took possession, but in the end new mutants started popping up, which is all Cyclops really wanted.

A few bullet points:
-I had to laugh out loud at what total douchebags the Avengers were towards Wolverine early in the event. There is one scene in particular that is beyond ridiculous and makes no sense for any of the characters.
And Wolverine takes it like a BITCH. He just comes crawling back. Dude has been pushed out of too many quinjets I guess.
-Meanwhile it's totally cool to send Beast, Captain Marvel and Noh-Varr into kree space to stop the Phoenix. Can't see anything going wrong there.
-The Iron Fist/Phoenix crossover was fantastic...if you read AvX do not skip this crossover.
-WAKANDA holy SHIT
-This event really fucked up Wolverine and the X-Men, didn't it? I'm going to read through the end of the Hellfire Saga, but I'm looking for an exit.

I might have some words on Age of Ultron later. Still percolating. Really, though, I consider AvX to be the proper ending of the era that began with Avengers Disassembled and House of M...AoU feels like the prologue of what comes next. Having read most of the events to come out of this period over the past year and a half, I'd rate them as follows...

War of Kings
Annihilation
The Thanos Imperative
Siege
Annihilation: Conquest
Avengers vs. X-Men
Spider Island
Second Coming
Civil War
House of M
Avengers Disassembled
World War Hulk
Messiah Complex
Necrosha
Messiah War
Secret Invasion
Schism
Shadowland
Fear Itself

It's really only those last four I completely disliked, everything else had enough fun moments to be a good time.

I enjoyed reading that, echoshifting.

The real story here is Fear Itself: Worse Than Shadowland

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW, BIRDIE?

I figured that might be an issue for Birdie, but they are both so fucking bad, it's a trivial placement
Sorry, BB. I do have the Iron Man tie-ins on a list somewhere.

Anyone else dislike the way Marvel does their covers, paper-wise?
I just had ink from both issues 1 and 2 of Daredevil rub off on my fingers and now the covers are smudged. Maybe my fingers are unnaturally warm?

Vyer

Civil War is kinda shitty.

Planet Hulk is freakin' awesome.

I refuse to believe any indication Superior Foes is ending until it actually ends. Marvel is chucking a gold nugget out the window if they do that

Is this the first official confirmation that Superior Foes is ending with #15? The solit refers to #14 being the penultimate issue.

It was basically confirmed with the second trade. It was originally going to collect issues 7-12 and they later updated the description to 7-15.

It's a shame, because outside of the last two filler issues, the series has been amazing.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Am I a bad person for wanting Superior Foes to end at #15 just so that I can get a reasonably priced oversized hardcover with the whole series in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom