• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, Justice League United #1 was fucking great, which is good news, since the team is awesome, in-comic and creative, and JLU #0 was a turd, so hope redeemed.

So let's say Marvel wants to continue Superior Foes but Spencer is done with it. Who would you tap to take the reins?

I'm gonna go with Waid.

Never really thought of it before but I wouldn't mind Dan Slott taking over. I think he could do the team justice. I could see him having a lot of fun writing in all sorts of references.

Of course, Lieber would have to remain on art duties. He's perfect for the book.

Owzers

Anyone else dislike the way Marvel does their covers, paper-wise?
I just had ink from both issues 1 and 2 of Daredevil rub off on my fingers and now the covers are smudged. Maybe my fingers are unnaturally warm?

paper comics are lame, your hands were probably warm too. Some of dc's 3.99 books have glossy hardstock covers and they are great at actually being able to hold them like i'm a human being.

Never really thought of it before but I wouldn't mind Dan Slott taking over. I think he could do the team justice. I could see him having a lot of fun writing in all sorts of references.

Of course, Lieber would have to remain on art duties. He's perfect for the book.

I'd love this if he brought in a (suitably reduced in power and stature) Doc SpOck in some way, shape or form. Dude writes a great Otto, and it would be fun to see some ineffectual version of him hanging with the Sinister Five. Maybe battling for control in Shocker's head? ;p

Oh definitely yes on Lieber.

I met him, actually. Great guy, fun to hang with.

I remembered this as I was reading like 66 or 67 and said screw it. Not a terrible drop in quality yet. Plus I want to see if Apocalypse actually shows up.

Give me a yes or no, plz. If no I might just stop at 75 or something and go back to Ultimate spiderman

definitely stop. go back to ultimate spidey. i cant believe you had to read the magician arc in uxm :s

The price jumped to $1.99 a while back, which is when I dropped it. 99 cents is the sweet spot for digital comics and DC was stupid to try and buck that trend. Marvel is even worse with their $2.99 comics, which I refuse to get on that price. Luckily, theis sale has allowed me to swoop in and catch up on Batman '66, which I enjoyed initially.
Ah, well I guess I gotta buy it all now! Agreed on Marvel, I'm waiting on a sale so I can buy all of The Gauntlet

Cheska

So now that I've had some time to absorb this past weekend, I can honestly say that this weekend was truly amazing. BigWowComicFest was such a blast and there were so many standouts moments.

First and foremost, Greg Rucka and Michael Lark were AMAZING! Incredibly sweet and nice people, the lines to see them were definitely the longest of the bunch. Greg even came around the table and through all the line to take a picture :D

2974QlBl.jpg

Stephane Roux was another really cool dude. He talked to us for quite a bit about details behind the covers I had brought him and additional work he's done.

Justin Greenwood was a stand out too. Very pleasant, down to earth guy, can't wait to see his work on Stumptown.

There was a store selling A TON of older TPB's and OHC's for 50% off so I bought the older Young Avengers series and had Jim Cheung sign them :)

6Z7Wc0il.jpg

trEYju7l.jpg

JRhVG7Sl.jpg

Biggest thing I bought though was the Ms. Marvel Warbird statue for only $150 :O

ObDprj3l.jpg

U7IEirql.jpg

YES!

I would very much like to know what you think of this.

I already read the first arc the other night. Surprised how unCatwoman it was but also surprised how cool of a heist story it was. My wife has all 3 volumes, I plan to read them all this summer.

Cheska, that's so freaking cool. Getting to meet the creators is one of the best parts of the hobby! I like how Rucka personalized each signature.

sca2511

You got a ton of stuff, very awesome. Lark and Rucka are really great, I only went on Sunday and there were practically no lines except for Jessica Nigri and one other that I didn't really look into. I really should of spent more than I did.

I love BigWOW. Consistently one of the best conventions that I attend. I'll try to post what I got in a few.

PsychBat!

Banned
Cheska got a picture with Rucka? That's awesome! :D

I would've asked him a lot of questions regarding his Punisher run. He most likely would be annoyed by me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I read that book 5 times last week. It was so freaking awesome.

Buddy and Olly being best bros is awesome, and I can honestly say, the Adam Strange Jetpack gag made me laugh. Only downside was New52 Lobo's look--his design eats dicks.

Wait what?

Does this mean we never get any pay-off from all that uber secret cool stuff that Waid promised? Or is this just going to be a rushed story ending before moving on to the next thing?

Also, the whole Hulk family... ugh... I hope that "status quo" statement means they're going to get rid of all of them. Except for She-Hulk, who is awesome. And even though I like Red She-Hulk, she just breaks too many good stories to stick around.

Zombine

Banned
Buddy and Olly being best bros is awesome, and I can honestly say, the Adam Strange Jetpack gag made me laugh. Only downside was New52 Lobo's look--his design eats dicks.

New 52 Lobo looks like a Dark Elf from Skyrim. How about
Hawkman getting his arm severed?
that was very unexpected.

Cheska

Cheska, that's so freaking cool. Getting to meet the creators is one of the best parts of the hobby! I like how Rucka personalized each signature.

I know, me too! I didn't realize he did it until afterwards :D

You got a ton of stuff, very awesome. Lark and Rucka are really great, I only went on Sunday and there were practically no lines except for Jessica Nigri and one other that I didn't really look into. I really should of spent more than I did.

I love BigWOW. Consistently one of the best conventions that I attend. I'll try to post what I got in a few.

I agree, loved this turnout more than last year. I was bummed I missed out on a Mark Brooks Captain Marvel print though :(

Cheska got a picture with Rucka? That's awesome! :D

I would've asked him a lot of questions regarding his Punisher run. He most likely would be annoyed by me.

LOL, I had a feeling he was getting a little irritated with the people having close to 50 books to sign. Like entire Detective Run, Punisher, etc. It's definitely what held up the line.

Oh my god Cheska that Ms. Marvel statue is amazing!

Edit: ONLY $150?! That's the comic lottery right there.

I KNOW! It matches perfectly with my Captain Marvel one. What's funny is in the process of buying it someone else came up and asked about purchasing it.

Zombine

Banned
I KNOW! It matches perfectly with my Captain Marvel one. What's funny is in the process of buying it someone else came up and asked about purchasing it.

Wait you have the Carol Danvers one too?! I was too late to pick it up and now it's going for obscene prices.

Tizoc

Wait what?

Does this mean we never get any pay-off from all that uber secret cool stuff that Waid promised? Or is this just going to be a rushed story ending before moving on to the next thing?

Also, the whole Hulk family... ugh... I hope that "status quo" statement means they're going to get rid of all of them. Except for She-Hulk, who is awesome. And even though I like Red She-Hulk, she just breaks too many good stories to stick around.

Skaar is cool, keep him around. Rulk is good too. Dunno about Shrulkie though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am looking into starting to read some Superman. I am planing to read standalone books like Kingdome Come or A Superman for all Seasons, but I am also interested in the New Krypton Run. Is it a good point to jump in? I am aware of the basic Superman lore and most of his villains.

Skaar is cool, keep him around. Rulk is good too. Dunno about Shrulkie though.

I don't like Rulk at all. Fairly empty, one-note character. He was more interesting as Ross, because at least then he could be portrayed as a Captain Ahab kind of character. Now, it's as if Captain Ahab turned himself into a bigger whale so he could fight pirates and go surfing (because it's not as if he's even still after the Hulk anymore. Not even a little bit). Anything he did of note could have been better accomplished by Merged/Professor Hulk, who's always been fairly sketchy on legality and property destruction anyways.

My main beef with all these Hulks though, is that when every single person Banner has ever associated with turns into an indestructible super-being... where's the tension? I mean, it used to be that it was okay for Banner to be untouchable because all the people he hung around with were squishy humans, so there was always risk in his stories. Maybe not to him, but always to anyone who stayed with him for long. Now that everyone else is around his power level, the threats have to be ramped up to ridiculous levels to get anything near that.

I'm not saying I want the same stories all the time, but these guys came and did their thing, now they need to go. They should have been undone with the conclusion of the World War Hulks storyline, but I guess that's neither here nor there anymore.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Brubaker's Catwoman loses a lot of its charm when Gulacy and Palmiotti take over art duties... it's a shame. It's not only a massive shift in style, but I don't think Gulacy's very good in any context.

frye

Brubaker's Catwoman loses a lot of its charm when Gulacy and Palmiotti take over art duties... it's a shame. It's not only a massive shift in style, but I don't think Gulacy's very good in any context.

Yeah, that run of Cameron Stewart/Darwyn Cooke/Brad Rader/Javier Pulido/Mike Allred/Guy Davis/Matt Hollingsworth is incredible.

Punjicide

So any Hawkeye news.

No.

Okay.
Also, no Hawkeye in August it looks like since it's usually announced with the Spider-books.

Isn't this the second time issue #19's been pushed back?

It bums me out quite a bit, I've been looking forward to Hawkeye more than any other comics lately (that's not to say there isn't great stuff out now, but c'mon, it's Hawkguy, bro).

Until then, those X-Men collections that are on sale on Comixology are tempting: https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Collections-Sale/page/2009

It's been a really long time since I last read an X-Men comic. How do some of you feel about Messiah Complex, Schism and Second Coming?

Shitting cockfuck. I just put in an IST order and forgot to order Black Canary / Zatanna Bloodspell. There's always next week, as I have to get the Trial of Jean Grey along with Uncanny X-men volumes 2 and 3. As for what I did order today, I got Slott She-Hulk Complete Collection vol. 2, Peter David X-Factor Complete Collection vol. 2, and vol. 8 of Atomic Robo. Yesssssss.

Isak_Borg

Isn't this the second time issue #19's been pushed back?

It bums me out quite a bit, I've been looking forward to Hawkeye more than any other comics lately (that's not to say there isn't great stuff out now, but c'mon, it's Hawkguy, bro).

Until then, those X-Men collections that are on sale on Comixology are tempting: https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Collections-Sale/page/2009

It's been a really long time since I last read an X-Men comic. How do some of you feel about Messiah Complex, Schism and Second Coming?

Man, the Hawkeye situation is properly fucked. I could see them releasing 20 before 19 and not be surprised.

Messiah complex and second coming are trash but schism is pretty fucking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom