• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

I'm kind of confused as hell while reading Avengers and New Avengers while trying to catch up to Secret Wars. Should I be reading them back and forth by publication date and are they both continuity wise taking place at the same time? Because Stark's whereabouts and pretty much everything in New Avengers going on kind of confuses me so damn much and I'm not sure how much of it I'm just overthinking.

I am doing the arc. You don't have to flip flop back and forth until Infinity hits. The prelude to infinity is pretty loose and serves as the lineup for the runup. Once Infinity hits you will want to follow the chart conveniently posted in the back.

I also found the Comicbookherald reading list to be very helpful, specifically going into the Infinity run here

Being new to Marvel it is still somewhat confusing but entertaining none the less. Things tend to happen on the macro level in these books.

I am doing the arc. You don't have to flip flop back and forth until Infinity hits. The prelude to infinity is pretty loose and serves as the lineup for the runup. Once Infinity hits you will want to follow the chart conveniently posted in the back.

I also found the Comicbookherald reading list to be very helpful, specifically going into the Infinity run here

Being new to Marvel it is still somewhat confusing but entertaining none the less. Things tend to happen on the macro level in these books.

Thanks, that should help. Didn't see much through search besides just a general list of recommended reading. Besides that I'm probably just trying to think about the continuity stuff too much.

I started reading the first volume of Deadly Class yesterday, and all I can say is holy shit.

Actually, the other thing I can say is the color is so on point in this. Really fantastic stuff.

Jason and Arsenal are gonna open up and magic is gonna happen. Unless Lobdell wants to bring back Jason's old GF he casually dated.

I started reading the first volume of Deadly Class yesterday, and all I can say is holy shit.

Actually, the other thing I can say is the color is so on point in this. Really fantastic stuff.

Wes Craig's art is stellar. He captures that urban youth ugliness so well.

joelseph

Thanks, that should help. Didn't see much through search besides just a general list of recommended reading. Besides that I'm probably just trying to think about the continuity stuff too much.

I am right there with you. I kept wondering if I was reading the wrong books. After every issue I was scratching my head trying to figure out why I was weaving this books together. Reading Marvel is different than what I am used to.

I'm kind of confused as hell while reading Avengers and New Avengers while trying to catch up to Secret Wars. Should I be reading them back and forth by publication date and are they both continuity wise taking place at the same time? Because Stark's whereabouts and pretty much everything in New Avengers going on kind of confuses me so damn much and I'm not sure how much of it I'm just overthinking.

I've been following the reading order from the Hickman's Avengers thread and haven't had any problems.

New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12
Avengers #24
New Avengers #13-15
Avengers #25-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24
Avengers #36
New Avengers #25
Avengers #37
New Avengers #26
Avengers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers #28
Avengers #40
New Avengers #29
Avengers #41
New Avengers #30
Avengers #42
New Avengers #31-32
Avengers #43
New Avengers #33
Avengers #44
Secret Wars #1-8

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

The Vegas arc is one of the biggest comic turnarounds I've ever had. I went from forcing myself to read the book simply because it's Remender + amazing Wes Craig art, to fucking loving the book and eagerly awaiting each new issue. The snowball of shittiness that keeps growing for these kids is brutal and some of Remender's best work.

The Vegas arc is one of the biggest comic turnarounds I've ever had. I went from forcing myself to read the book simply because it's Remender + amazing Wes Craig art, to fucking loving the book and eagerly awaiting each new issue. The snowball of shittiness that keeps growing for these kids is brutal and some of Remender's best work.

I've just got to the Vegas arc.

It hasn't been a hard read for me. Even though it's a bit on-the-nose with its criticism of the social constructs behind these facades the children put up, I think it's pretty astute overall. Did not expect Marcus to
just kill his homeless friend
, either. Makes me wonder, though, how the other students fared with that assignment. They haven't really talked about it, and Saya is still
reeling from that first kill

It's a very addictive read, to say the least. Everything is just so on-point, too; the paneling and art blows me away.

SoilBreak

Banned
Aquaman preview was alright and I'll probably give the first few issues a chance to see what the hell is going on between Arthur & Mera.
Also Garth is finally back and seem to be part of the seven kings so that was a plus.

I just wanted to put it out there that using references and tracing are entirely different. Sean Phillips takes pics of himself to give him an idea of a scene, because that's legitimately how some people draw. He admitted that it's a bad habit and a lousy crutch, but I respect it.

Land straight up traces. Not only that, the dude fuckin swipes art. He's legit no better than Gene Simmons son.

I don't think Phillips should be so hard on himself. Everyone uses reference. I don't know an animator out there (2d or 3d) that is worth their salt that DOESN'T shoot video reference. Even the old school Disney 9 old men used video reference.

Oh my god, Thor.

I legit cried at the end. Totally didn't see it coming and holy shit is it perfect. If people just read spoilers before the story without the immaculate lead up of the narration I genuinely feel bad for you. Marvel really pulled a boner by releasing the info early. I've never been more happy to be unspoiled in my whole life.

Secret Wars time!

You and me both. I thankfully went in blind and it was a great reveal! Aaron really nailed this book.

Glad to see someone who read the actual issue and enjoyed it.

People responding to spoilers and not stories are pretty much everything wrong with comics today. It's why when people always ask me for spoilers - since I love ACTUAL comics and read them as soon as I'm able - I just have to laugh at how wrong the tree they're barking up is.

You want lifeless checklists of circumstance, Rich Johnston made a whole website for you.

Me? I prefer reading comics over giving that vapid dipshit and his spoilering ilk even a second of life validation.

styl3s

that fucking world war hulk cover.

is that bald dude supposed to be bendis on the ultimate end?
I think it is.

Normally i don't care about variants but i am on a mission to get every skottie young baby variant and i am 2 away from having all of the current ones. I wouldn't mind having the action figure secret wars variants but the shop near me wants a ridiculous $15 a pop but i am hoping this new place i am going to across town later is a better shop because i am over the one near me. It's smaller then a gamestop, i have more backissues then this place and the dude always wants $10-15 for variants that i can get for cover price if not cheaper from midtown. /rant

Also, Skottie is also writing Giant-Size Little Marvel: AvX for this event (this cover is done by John Tyler Christopher, he did the vintage star wars toy covers)
8ZLYUrF.jpg
Amazing preview here

Why is Dan Jurgens writing Bat Mite?

Ryan North. Chip Zdarsky. These are the people you get to write fun comics. This isn't rocket science.

It is, however, a terrible comic.

So I'm gathering that SW #2 lives up to its high expectations? Darn the fact that I won't have a good chance to properly read it until latish tonight.

styl3s

You don't like his writing? I thought out of the 3 writers on the current run of Rocket he did the best work and he writes adorable fun stories well and he's writing about baby x-mens.

Also, any tie-ins this week worth picking up? Seems like most of the "important" tie-ins start next week. I think the last days of Magneto is out today? Worth picking up?

Cade

so i'm making the most out of marvel unlimited and reading stuff i missed like new avengers and there was some talk of greg land's art earlier so

EifsKeB.png

captain america

DAMN, Ewing is Tie In KING. Mighty Avengers is just saying what we're all thinking: We're going to have to buy every damn comic with a secret wars logo on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom