• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Land back on Nightwing. Or Birds of Prey. I even got him to draw Dick for me when they had those big Crossgen booths. His Xmen and stuff now is boring.

Oh this awesome Dr.Strange art is from this Excalibur issue, neat. I've seen this floating around for years

fiqhty8Cm4TQhyQgtrWozwPhrIYetHLBMPDjDROyJCeJEQZYMPQ2dh_lokz1vOwk8Yi74qMclRakTUnOtOjmmqIU-caTsiZ1A3Ubi7gsuOggpJ4WSFuUzFwMcQdXQ445tQ

Can someone quickly tell me what Xavier is trying to heal Wanda from? I guess there was another event before this >_>

Oh cool thats on his disney infinity disc

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
House of M #2 - yoooooooooo this is awesome. Love me a good Marvel alternate universe. I guess the whole no more mutants things comes at the END of the event, I thought it was what triggered it. But it's the opposite, this seems to be a world full of mutants where they rule.

Lol at Gambit just being a throwaway thief that gets owned by Ms.Marvel :(

Those uniforms from what I assume are Magneto's troops look snazzy as shit.

So we hate this event? Seems awesome so far :(

Tizoc

House of M #2 - yoooooooooo this is awesome. Love me a good Marvel alternate universe. I guess the whole no more mutants things comes at the END of the event, I thought it was what triggered it. But it's the opposite, this seems to be a world full of mutants where they rule.

I recall it was disliked at the time because of the No more Mutants thing.

I just wanted to put it out there that using references and tracing are entirely different. Sean Phillips takes pics of himself to give him an idea of a scene, because that's legitimately how some people draw. He admitted that it's a bad habit and a lousy crutch, but I respect it.

Land straight up traces. Not only that, the dude fuckin swipes art. He's legit no better than Gene Simmons son.
I don't see that as a bad habit for artists IMO Photo reference is only useful up to a point. Tracing is something completely different. Since you are tracing and therefore fitting the story to some image you've found, you're limiting your storytelling ability. I dont think photo reference does that.

On a different note, apparently, a Harvard professor wrote a shitty piece for the New Yorker over A Force. I read a bit of it but it was really poorly written. I only bring it up because Wilson's response to it is really well written. Kind of came as a surprise since most comic writers don't really bother writing well outside of their comics. Wilson has come a long way since Air, which I thought was pretty meh.

Mudcrab

Nah I liked it. I still have that issue 1 Scarlet Witch variant somewhere around here.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fantastic Four: House of M #1 - fuuuuuck o love this so much. Doom being Doom, Thing (I'm sorry, The It) as a chained mindless monster (is this Ben? Because the book says reed and his crew died in the shuttle so that would include Ben), Doom already conspiring to take down Mags (love the scene where Pietro summons Doom on a video call, Doom says not now and Pietro shows up instantly in Latveria saying it wasn't a request...dat speed)

Getting huge Age of apocalypse (the original) vibes from this, only this time more global and not just focused on the X peeps. And AoA is probably my favorite event ever (nostalgia perhaps but it is) so yeah, this is my jam

frye

I don't see that as a bad habit for artists IMO Photo reference is only useful up to a point. Tracing is something completely different. Since you are tracing and therefore fitting the story to some image you've found, you're limiting your storytelling ability. I dont think photo reference does that.

On a different note, apparently, a Harvard professor wrote a shitty piece for the New Yorker over A Force. I read a bit of it but it was really poorly written. I only bring it up because Wilson's response to it is really well written. Kind of came as a surprise since most comic writers don't really bother writing well outside of their comics. Wilson has come a long way since Air, which I thought was pretty meh.

The original article read to me like the result of an assignment that she didn't have any interest in. I wonder if Marvel just saw that she wrote a Wonder Woman book and gave her a review copy to spread the word about How Marvel Is Totally Progressive Now, which has totally backfired if that was the case

good response tho

Deadpool & Kate Bishop with Guest Appearance by Hawkguy.

Despite being written by Duggan, there were a coupla good jokes in there. Uatu one was legit good. Black Cat as the Big Bad made less than zero sense.

Was also trying to check if Avengers Disassembled was part of House of M, and ran into these classic bendisms:

so good.

also oh lawd at dat pannel repetition. chaos hijinx indeed.

Squire

Banned
Guys people are saying the Jem movie trailer sucks, so now I wanna check out the comic, but I also wish they would do one for Totally Spies because that's more of my jam.

Rhaknar

Lanus are you talking about the latest Deadpool & Hawkeye issue on MU?

I loved the first issue

Look, we could go over a ridiculous piece of Land tracing artwork tracing hourly and we'd still be here for decades. Actually, I'm all for it. I can appreciate having things to constantly laugh, sometimes uncomfortably, about.

Lanus are you talking about the latest Deadpool & Hawkeye issue on MU?

I loved the first issue

Aww poop, from your praise i thought you'd read the whole thing, otherwise i'd have spoiled that.

You might very well enjoy it. I've a Duggan hateboner a mile wide after Omega Hulk, so that could very well be playing into it.

Mudcrab

Deadpool & Kate Bishop with Guest Appearance by Hawkguy.

Despite being written by Duggan, there were a coupla good jokes in there. Uatu one was legit good. Black Cat as the Big Bad made less than zero sense.

Was also trying to check if Avengers Disassembled was part of House of M, and ran into these classic bendisms:

so good.

Not gonna lie, I loved the next 4 pages.

Other than that, the best part was Stark threatening to kill the Latverian delegate.

headshot95

Neo Member
Perhaps I read it wrong, but is DC reprinting the Johns Flash run in softcover omnibus format? Or just a reprint in general? Could have sworn I saw it somewhere.

Rhaknar

Spider-Man: House of M #1 - not that big a fan of this one, although the angle with Peter faking being a mutant for the stardom is intriguing. And Rhino with a shirt over his costume :p

Ironman: House of M #1 - this on the other hand is more interesting. Weird manga style art and mech-inspired armors (which I'm kinda into), cool story with sapiens competing in gladiatorial style sports, Tony having daddy issues (some things never change I guess) and Pym researching shit he shouldn't, cool stuff.

Oh and Johnny Storm is in it so I guess not all Fantastic Four died in the original shuttle mission, so I guess that was Ben in Fantastic Four #1

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers on MU.

I'm not sure I entirely understand it, but I liked it. I hope they (at least Billy and Kate) still exist in the future.

Greg Land used to be good. I think even his Sojurn work started good but it's then when he started to cross over into the parody he is now.

Besides he drew the best Babs/Dick issue ever. So I'll never completely bag the guy.

tumblr_lrn6ucI9Gv1qbgo38o1_500.jpg

07a8489012c29dc75a68c32d54608737.jpg

%235cover.jpg

NexusCell

Alright, so question time comicGAF. After Bendis leaves the Xmen franchise, what which writer is more likely to be writing once it relaunches.

Remender or Humphries?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I remember you all raving about Spider Verse as it was happening a few months ago. So...what happened?

OHC comes Friday! Yay! I hope for good Tie-Ins because based Slott.

Opinions on Spider-Man:The Other?

I liked it back then. I got a legit shock because it was my first superhero death and I thought Spidey was gone for real lol.
But it was a good conclusion to the whole Ezekiel arc. Just one of the artists almost killed the book with his shit-tier art.

How would you guys rank the regular USM artists? Would it be correct to say that Bagley is the worst (least good) out of all of them?
Bagley above all. Loved this guy.

I bought F4 & FF by Hickman :)

Now I can finally appreciate New Avengers and Avengers.
You have seen the light.

Avengers Disassembled.
Read this instead though

8162KcLgYVL.jpg

It featured Early Squirrel Girl.
Book is amazing, I hate that the trade is nowhere avaiable.

Rhaknar

Remender had a story in Uncanny Avengers very similar to those mutant planet rumours floating around, just saying

House of M main book continues to be excellent, some of the tie-ins not so much (but that's always the case even in the best events)

Edit: that GLA book isn't on MU btw :/

Edit: yeah I need to read more Cable & Deadpool ASAP

deadpool-sinister-house-of-m.jpg

Alright, so question time comicGAF. After Bendis leaves the Xmen franchise, what which writer is more likely to be writing once it relaunches.

Remender or Humphries?

Those choices make me sad. Marvel's running up on the same problem DC is mired in. They need a few more ringers.

Rhaknar

MU doesn't consider Decimation as an event so it's going to be annoying reading that after House of M having to manually search the titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom