• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Still don't know how I feel about Secret Wars, maybe it's because I don't like the idea of Marvel doing a 'Crisis' event :p

Right now Secret Wars is still :O for me.

tim1138

First thought would be the same process that made the rest of them just done on a woman instead of a man. We've seen that it's possible, in Teri's case.

Though... Hmm. There is that comment about her being an "insult to womanhood". Though I can only imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if the implication is that it's a man (Guy) turned into a woman and thus not "really a woman" because of it. So I hope it's not "Hal turned into Guy but a woman".

For there to be a shitstorm there would have to be more than seven people reading it, but I totally get your point. I do trust Giffen to pull of a gender switch and make it work though.
Honestly I wouldn't care if they never explain it beyond Hal sent her. She's there now and is the new GL and that's that.

styl3s

Anyone reading all of Convergence? Is there anything worth picking up for someone who isn't super into DC but wants to get into DC? Aside from Snyders run i haven't really read anything DC since like 1996 but i also don't want to JUST read Marvel and a hand full image stuff and since my pull list this week is 1 issue i figure i might pick up a few DC titles if any are worth picking up.

Still don't know how I feel about Secret Wars, maybe it's because I don't like the idea of Marvel doing a 'Crisis' event :p

Right now Secret Wars is still :O for me.
What pisses me off about Secret Wars (i haven't read #2 yet) is that they
Killed Rocket and his ongoing series ended with #11 i think. I really, really enjoyed that series and if he's actually dead and doesn't come back and doesn't get another run i am gonna be peeeeessed cause he's my favorite character. I assume he will come back because groot is getting a run and a guardians cartoon is coming and GOTG2.

........it started to load the ticket buying page, then it didn't get enough data or something and kicked me back to the virtual queue page.......I hate you NYCC people I hate you sooo much.

what's the publishing implications have to do with anything? It's currently quite good and very much a culmination of the arc that lead into it.

Seriously. This is Gaming side-tier meta industry bullshit concern that's got nothing to do with the actual product in question.

For there to be a shitstorm there would have to be more than seven people reading it, but I totally get your point. I do trust Giffen to pull of a gender switch and make it work though.
Honestly I wouldn't care if they never explain it beyond Hal sent her. She's there now and is the new GL and that's that.

Yeah I don't mind the gender switch. Even if it is as simple as "was a dude, now a lady", for whatever reason. Fuck it, it's JL3001 and who cares. It's stupid fun.

you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

Anyone reading all of Convergence? Is there anything worth picking up for someone who isn't super into DC but wants to get into DC? Aside from Snyders run i haven't really read anything DC since like 1996 but i also don't want to JUST read Marvel and a hand full image stuff and since my pull list this week is 1 issue i figure i might pick up a few DC titles if any are worth picking up.

After convergence is going to be a good time to jump on, but its hard to recommend a title with out knowing what you like.

The Event isn't done yet. Never call it until it is.

Cause it's totally going to be a reboot.

It literally can't be unless every surviving character dies. This isn't a case of "hey they were alive in these bottles the whole time!" Members of the actual MU are active participants in the story. Thus, they are literally not rebooting the universe, unless, again, all those surviving characters die.

do you actually care though? Or do you just have some cynical desire to see people feel bad about a story that they expected to go a certain way but went somewhere else?

Asking for a friend.

styl3s

After convergence is going to be a good time to jump on, but its hard to recommend a title with out knowing what you like.
I enjoy just good writing and good art.

I am not well versed in the DC universe i enjoy The Flash and Arrow show a lot. I have been a big Superman/Batman fan for 25+ years and those have probably been the only 2 people from DC i have comics of. Well, at least Batman. I have a ton of Batman stuff but not a whole lot of Superman post death of. I am open to trying anything as long as it's interesting.

I figure this month is a good time to jump into some DC stuff because aside from some variants i think there are only a handful of Secret Wars stuff coming in the next 2 weeks i want and only 1 issue i want today. Like 95% of my ongoing series i pick up is Marvel and i want to broaden my scope. I read a few ongoing Image but i mostly buy that stuff in trade hardcover.

do you actually care though? Or do you just have some cynical desire to see people feel bad about a story that they expected to go a certain way but went somewhere else?

what's the publishing implications have to do with anything? It's currently quite good and very much a culmination of the arc that lead into it.

It feels too corporate. Everything about Marvel does these days. Everything about their comic line decisions feels like it's being shifted towards MCU alignment. Secret Wars and it's aftermath will, of course, bear this belief out one way or the other. And yes, Birdie, I do care. I dabble occasionally. Mostly on the X-Men side of things.

As Shin said it's hard to recommend anything in particular if you don't have specific likes; there is alot of nostalgia going on right now. I for example, really loved Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes, Adventures of Superman (though it's mostly a Supergirl issue), Supergirl Matrix, Superman, etc. Others have though highly of stuff like The Question.

Messi

Everything I love dies, every community I have actively engaged in dies , FootballGAF, NBAGAF, FigureGAF :(. I just want you all to know that when ComicGAF dies because of me that I never meant for it to be like that. I only wanted the best for us. Time runs out, Everything Dies. Sorry :(

styl3s

It feels too corporate. Everything about Marvel does these days. Everything about their comic line decisions feels like it's being shifted towards MCU alignment. Secret Wars and it's aftermath will, of course, bear this belief out one way or the other. And yes, Birdie, I do care. I dabble occasionally. Mostly on the X-Men side of things.

As Shin said it's hard to recommend anything in particular if you don't have specific likes; there is alot of nostalgia going on right now. I for example, really loved Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes, Adventures of Superman (though it's mostly a Supergirl issue), Supergirl Matrix, Superman, etc. Others have though highly of stuff like The Question.
Haven't really read any DC stuff since the 90s so hard to say. I like Batman and Superman as characters. I like the idea of superboy and if there are any villain comics i would probably be super interested in those since i enjoy the villains of the DC world more then most of the heroes.

Everything I love dies, every community I have actively engaged in dies , FootballGAF, NBAGAF, FigureGAF :(. I just want you all to know that when ComicGAF dies because of me that I never meant for it to be like that. I only wanted the best for us. Time runs out, Everything Dies. Sorry :(
Are you saying you are the Summer Glau of internet forums?

I just enjoy good stories. I don't particually need to have X or Y superhero in it i just want some good reading. I love the shows Arrow and Flash if there are any comics like that. I mean, i know Green Arrow in the comics isn't like Arrow in the show but if there are any comics with those kinds of vibes going on right now i would pick em up.

Basically i am just looking for a few good issues from convergence to pick up to have some more stuff to read this week. Maybe ill pick up Superboy that sounds fun. Does Flash have anything going on? When the show started i read Flashpoint and a few other stories from comixology and really enjoyed his character.

Bii

........it started to load the ticket buying page, then it didn't get enough data or something and kicked me back to the virtual queue page.......I hate you NYCC people I hate you sooo much.

I feel ya. I've gone through that the past few years with SDCC. And any time there's a highly sought after poster from Mondo. :(

Mudcrab

Messi, you don't have to accept the unnatural acceleration of that process.

All Hope Lies in Doom Besada

"This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect thread that came from Community and did only good. It tells of its' twilight when the great battles of print vs. digital were over and the great Quitely debate settled, of how the cynics conspired against them and that final war in the threads of Off-Topic, of the publishers they loved and the choice they made between them, of how they broke their OT creator and how finally all the comics they purchased lay unread except one. It ends with a lock. It begins on a quiet message board in a corner of the internet, one summer in the future after Avengers: Infinity War became the highest-grossing movies of all time. Away in NeoGAF, people still post questions about who would win in a fight between two comic book characters, or how Marvel is still planning to cancel the X-Men comics, and people still glance at the community forum. But no, it's only the MCU Phase 7 thread. The comic book thread died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story....

Aren't they all?"

"Whatever Happened to the Comics |OT|?"

But I just got here, damn it! You'll kill all my launch momentum with your whole Death of a Community event.

I just enjoy good stories. I don't particually need to have X or Y superhero in it i just want some good reading. I love the shows Arrow and Flash if there are any comics like that. I mean, i know Green Arrow in the comics isn't like Arrow in the show but if there are any comics with those kinds of vibes going on right now i would pick em up.

Basically i am just looking for a few good issues from convergence to pick up to have some more stuff to read this week. Maybe ill pick up Superboy that sounds fun. Does Flash have anything going on? When the show started i read Flashpoint and a few other stories from comixology and really enjoyed his character.

Then my suggestions are: Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes (Classic Legion Superboy), Superman (Modern Superman), Adventures of Superman (Classic Superman and Supergirl). I enjoyed them all. I'm sure others can make suggestions too. The Barry Allen Flash issue was fine but it didn't have anywhere near the action of the others, imo. It was a more low key, somber story. There is also Convergence: Speed Force, which is the Wally West Flash, with his kids. You might enjoy that.

SoilBreak

Banned

Check out Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run.

We can't win against cynicism. We just have to figure out how not to lose.

All Hope Lies in Doom Besada

"This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect thread that came from Community and did only good. It tells of its' twilight when the great battles of print vs. digital were over and the great Quitely debate settled, of how the cynics conspired against them and that final war in the threads of Off-Topic, of the publishers they loved and the choice they made between them, of how they broke their OT creator and how finally all the comics they purchased lay unread except one. It ends with a lock. It begins on a quiet message board in a corner of the internet, one summer in the future after Avengers: Infinity War became the highest-grossing movies of all time. Away in NeoGAF, people still post questions about who would win in a fight between two comic book characters, or how Marvel is still planning to cancel the X-Men comics, and people still glance at the community forum. But no, it's only the MCU Phase 7 thread. The comic book thread died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story....

Aren't they all?"

"Whatever Happened to the Comics |OT|?"

This is perfect.

Sou Da

I'm actually quite proud of my LCS, the tone has changed from "stupid heavy handed pandering" to "Not my thing but I'd give it to my kid" when it comes Ms.Marvel

Cetra

Just finished Secret Wars #2 during my lunch break. I'm loving this.
The Thor Doom Police. Holy shit that was cool.

Vyer

SW#2 was awesome. Cool to see how everything Hickman has been setting up comes together.

I've only been glossing over the fan arguments, though. I take it there have been issues with the definition of 'reboot'? And it doesn't necessarily seem unreasonable to notice that MCU has a significant impact on the comics, IMO.

Also, unrelated, but I picked up SW#2, Saga and Injection so far. I nearly spent $12 on three comic books. WTF is happening.

It also seems very clear now that

SECRET WARS

There will be no reboot. The Cabal survived which implies Team Reed Fail did too. They have to rebuild the world as THEY knew it. There will be some changes here and there I'm sure, but it's still the Marvel Universe we know.

Maybe. I don't think
that them being alive necessarily guarantees that, as it could just be for the purposes of SW. Certainly there's a lot to set up/process with Battleworld here, so I do wonder what kind of timeframe we are talking about. Seems like a lot of effort for things to go back to 'normal' quickly. Going to be interesting either way.

Fanboy Wars aside, did anyone pick up Injection?

I did. Lots of setup mostly, but it was good to see Ellis and Shalvey work again.

I wish I could love comics like birdie loves comics.

Few people love anything like Birdie loves things.

Vyer

lol@the ending of Saga 28

uhhmmm...maybe that wasn't supposed to be the desired response.

People responding to spoilers and not stories are pretty much everything wrong with comics today. It's why when people always ask me for spoilers - since I love ACTUAL comics and read them as soon as I'm able - I just have to laugh at how wrong the tree they're barking up is.

You want lifeless checklists of circumstance, Rich Johnston made a whole website for you.

Me? I prefer reading comics over giving that vapid dipshit and his spoilering ilk even a second of life validation.

Also, I missed this earlier, but I've always thought it was a little odd too, especially for a book you might be looking forward to/planning to read. Big reveals are a part of the fun of comics for me. I've done the 'look up spoilers' thing a time or two, and I always regret doing it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom