• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that the next time that the Fantastic Four movies are gonna get rebooted, they need to have the kids right out of the gate, even in the first movie. Like, have Reed and Sue be parents even before they get the powers, or whatever, just make it happen.

In media res? The fuck do you think the audience is, a buncha nerdy geeks that have been reading comics since the sixties? Can't do that.

fauxtrot

Banned
I feel that the next time that the Fantastic Four movies are gonna get rebooted, they need to have the kids right out of the gate, even in the first movie. Like, have Reed and Sue be parents even before they get the powers, or whatever, just make it happen.

I feel like the origins of the Fantastic Four don't even need to be explained in anything other than a little opening credit visual montage thingy (think of if the James Bond movie credits told a visual story). Just give us the heroes doing their thing... fuck now I just remembered the F4 movie is coming out staring a bunch of (talented, at least) 20 somethings. Reed should be in his late 30s, early 40s with Val and Franklin 6 - 8 yrs old already in the first movie of the inevitable reboot.

I feel like the origins of the Fantastic Four don't even need to be explained in anything other than a little opening credit visual montage thingy (think of if the James Bond movie credits told a visual story). Just give us the heroes doing their thing... fuck now I just remembered the F4 movie is coming out staring a bunch of (talented, at least) 20 somethings. Reed should be in his late 30s, early 40s with Val and Franklin 6 - 8 yrs old already in the first movie of the inevitable reboot.

This guy gets it.

Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer to anyone interested in this kind of stuff.

One of the best books I've read on the subject. I'm an on again, off again vegetarian. Did it for a five year stint once. You might need to supplement with B12 and D (the latter if you don't spend much time outdoors). You won't lose bone density or muscle mass. You don't weaken your immune system. You don't mess with your hormones. It has zero impact on hair loss (WTFLOL). That is some 1960s level meat industry propaganda bullshit if I've ever seen it.

I'm a research guy. When I commit to something, it's only after hours upon hours of reading up on peer reviewed studies and the like. There's conflicting data about almost everything, but the facts show that vegetarians and pescatarians live on average longer than more traditional omnivores. There are obviously gradients in between, and a vegetarian can eat a pure garbage diet and get diabetes and heart disease just as likely as a meat eater. The largest study on the topic shows 20% difference in mortality rates between the two groups. There are hundreds of other studies showing the same, even after controlling for other environmental factors. Vegetarian diets are very, very healthy. You just have to mix and max different sources of protein so you get full amino acid coverage.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/Supplement_1/490S

I never did it for health, it was purely environmental concerns. Water waste and greenhouse gas. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to celiac (not on the gluten free bandwagon, I legitimately have an allergy and it sucks) and have some sensitivities to dairy products, so a lot of the meat substitute stuff doesn't work for me. Now I'm good with eating the occasional antibiotic-free chicken breast. Yum, chicken. I avoid red meat almost entirely, but I might cheat once a month or so. Meat isn't inherently bad for you. Vegetarian diets are certainly not bad for you. Moderation and common sense are the key.

Zombine

Banned
One of the best books I've read on the subject. I'm an on again, off again vegetarian. Did it for a five year stint once. You might need to supplement with B12 and D (the latter if you don't spend much time outdoors). You won't lose bone density or muscle mass. You don't weaken your immune system. You don't mess with your hormones. It has zero impact on hair loss (WTFLOL). That is some 1960s level meat industry propaganda bullshit if I've ever seen it.

I'm a research guy. When I commit to something, it's only after hours upon hours of reading up on peer reviewed studies and the like. There's conflicting data about almost everything, but the facts show that vegetarians and pescatarians live on average longer than more traditional omnivores. There are obviously gradients in between, and a vegetarian can eat a pure garbage diet and get diabetes and heart disease just as likely as a meat eater. The largest study on the topic shows 20% difference in mortality rates between the two groups. There are hundreds of other studies showing the same, even after controlling for other environmental factors. Vegetarian diets are very, very healthy. You just have to mix and max different sources of protein so you get full amino acid coverage.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/Supplement_1/490S

I never did it for health, it was purely environmental concerns. Water waste and greenhouse gas. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to celiac (not on the gluten free bandwagon, I legitimately have an allergy and it sucks) and have some sensitivities to dairy products, so a lot of the meat substitute stuff doesn't work for me. Now I'm good with eating the occasional antibiotic-free chicken breast. Yum, chicken. I avoid red meat almost entirely, but I might cheat once a month or so. Meat isn't inherently bad for you. Vegetarian diets are certainly not bad for you. Moderation and common sense are the key.

Quit making sense.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is "White Cannary" actually a DC character or just made up for that new show to justify bringing the actress back

Boogiepop

Also, yeeeeeeeah. Just had a shelf break a bit for the first time. I was overloading it more than I should've as it wasn't meant for heavy duty far as I can tell and I was kind of piling stuff as it came in from IST as I was waiting to get something else set up to reorganize. It wasn't a dramatic break, just shifted into a bit of a slant and two of the places where it was connected to the rest of the unit broke through the wood a little. I have since reorganized and the stuff that should go back on there is piled up till I can figure out how I'm going to repair/replace here.

Not a huuuuuuge deal, though it has caused me to finally work up to what I'd been considering, in that it's time to undertake putting a ton of stuff in storage to stop double-booking/overloading shelves. And honestly, if stuff isn't very accessible up on shelves and is buried behind other stuff, it should probably just be neatly stored away elsewhere anyway, at least in my case.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'd watch the shit out of that. I have no idea why they are going so young for a movie entirely about a family dynamic. It makes no sense to go this young, the Fantastic Four are grown fucking people not children. They have grown fucking people problems.

ElNarez

Banned
Matt Senaca smoked some Rucka Punisher comic he hated it so much

what the fuck

I hate the Punished and I would never burn a copy who the fuck does that

the actual worst fate you can give a comic is losing it in a pile among many others and forgetting all but the space it took in the material world

my copies of the dreadful Edmonson-Gerads Punisher comic are on a table somewhere under other comics and I can never read them again unless I search that pile, which I will never do because it's a big pile

it's a fitting punishment

All in on Secret Wars. I've committed to waiting stuff out for the six month Marvel Unlimited delay, but the hype overwhelmed me. I'm buying the main series for sure, and I'll probably pick up 4-5 different tie ins.

In Hickman I trust.

that ruled

Also he stole that trick from Tucker, who once barbequed an X-Men omnibus

Tucker just burned that shit tho

6a00d83455e40a69e200e552ad11438834-pi

6a00d83455e40a69e200e55294416b8833-pi

He didn't EAT it. That's the next level

Owzers

All in on Secret Wars. I've committed to waiting stuff out for the six month Marvel Unlimited delay, but the hype overwhelmed me. I'm buying the main series for sure, and I'll probably pick up 4-5 different tie ins.

In Hickman I trust.

which tie-ins are you in for? So far i'm picking up Secret Wars monthly, Siege for my tie-in, and then the rest MU.

On one hand, ingesting comics, whether in fume or solid form, is probably bad for your health but on the other it is extremely funny

his post describing the smoking is hilarious. i'll have to find it when i get back home, i know it's findable via wayback machine

Zombine

Banned
Rafa, it's time to watch Elena die.

Edit:

I got really drunk one night and read a newspaper while it was on fire. Does that count?

Messi

God damn Korupt. You weren't kidding about the Gotham by Midnight art. That is some fantastic fitting art. Gonna catch up and add it to the pull for June. Thanks for pointing it out. Wouldn't have tried it if you didn't mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom