• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Got one coming tomorrow as well. With two more on the way.

Eh...my tastes aren't that superior...So I guess yours might be unbeatable.

One of them is one of two I showed you on eBay? One of them sold it seems. The more expensive one.

I've got my eyes on something else right now.

Zombine

Banned
One of them is one of two I showed you on eBay? One of them sold it seems. The more expensive one.

I've got my eyes on something else right now.

I gotta tell you what I did. I contacted him. There's WAY more of them. WAY MORE. He has almost all of them.

Zombine

Banned
Brehs

Mad Max Fury Road

BREHS

Shit is like picking up a 2000AD comic in progress, don't explain nothing, just keep up or get left behind

2000AD is set up in such a way like a Soap Opera where you don't really know what's going on, but you don't care because you're caught up in the moment. You sold me on Mad Max.

Vibranium

Banned
On one hand

Black Widow: The Tightly Tangled Web is pretty damn solid. Gohgeous Noto art, efficient writing, globetrotting scope.

On the other hand, every time Nat uses violence to extract info from someone, i remember how much of a creepy fuck Edmonson is. Hrm.

Also lol at Bucky having a raging boner for nat.

Bucky hasn't let Nat go at all lol. At the end of Latour's run he did a quick time travel to get a kiss. Can Marvel give her damn memories back already and have her and Bucky work together again?

And yeah, some of the stuff in Edmondson's BW is off a bit.

Squire

Banned
I finished Infinity. I don't think I loved it, but I really thought it was thoroughly enjoyable and often times thrilling even. It has amazing detail and narration; It feels very cinematic, and while it's definitely plot orientated, it has it's fair share of character moments. There are more as it goes on and they're good. I think the ending was satisfying, but the epilogue? Ugh. I'm devastated. So sad.

Fantastic work.

With that, I'm halfway through Hickman's Avengers and that much closer to Secret Wars!

On to the next incursion, y'all...

I picked Spider because I get the sense he's another long time comic reader that is familiar with some of my "older" callbacks of series. Like OG girly hijinks SiP #brofist, books like Transmet, kabuki, etc

yea probably right, those were so my thing going through the shitshow of the 90's after quitting all of it for a bit during whenever xtinction agenda was happening. Then getting pulled back for Age of poccylypssse but DC yanked me over with Supergirl, Flash, Aquaman and Green Lantern. And hanging out with one of those Vertigo girls who got(made) me reading Sandman, Kid Eternity and Hellblazer and Swamp Thing. and finding Kabuki, Transmetropolitan and SiP. Then Daredevil and Black Panther kicking my ass.

wait..I don't even know where I'm going with any of that but I think I used to be cooler

fucking comics though

I think Tyrant is my closest comics match here because I don't think anyone else read the Kaine-led comics these past few years
Brehs

Mad Max Fury Road

BREHS

Shit is like picking up a 2000AD comic in progress, don't explain nothing, just keep up or get left behind
I saw your post in movieGAF, idk if it'll live up to your praise but now I'm hyped as fuck for when I see it on Saturday

Why are all the art pages I see just pencilled/inked? Is all colouring done digitally?

Unless, the artwork is painted or watercolored from the start, all coloring is digital. I cannot think of a single colorist who doesnt work digitally.

So comicGAF I'd like to do a game of sorts. For a month or so I've been trying to determine from people's comic book opinions who's taste closest aligned with myself.

I think mine is a mix of SpiderJerusalem and Tim.

What say you?
Hmmm I think Filthy Slug and I have really similar tastes. ElNarez too.

They rarely are.

Digital art is killing the whole art selling market.

Hmm I kind of agree with this to a point. I know some artists who draw covers and splash pages digitally then print the pencils and ink over it. Its a good way to still have your digital drawing tools but still have original art to sell.

BBboy20

So yeah, I just got my self invovled with Secret Wars. B-Dubs told me that I need to read Johnathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/Avengers/New Avengers (though I think he told me out of wanting me to blow my mind then to be more informed) runs so I came across this site: http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/06/jonathan-hickman-avengers-reading-guide/ which got me checking Amazon at first and noticed this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785191097/?tag=neogaf0e-20. Going by the reviews though, it seems like it has extra issues but two things that concern me:

1) Is this hardcover collection basically a collection of all of these separate collections collected even more because the collection info isn't much detailed at all (that is a lot of collecting)

2) Because it was released last month, does that mean I have to wait even longer for vol. 2? Because going by this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785197095/?tag=neogaf0e-20, that maybe so and I don't think I want to wait that long while Secret Wars is going on.

Duress

I believe you are correct. The hard cover, covers the two volumes, in the guide.

edit: I think it's just a premium version of what's already out. Just the first two arcs.

So yeah, I just got my self invovled with Secret Wars. Bat-Dan told me that I need to read Johnathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/Avengers/New Avengers (though I think he told me out of wanting me to blow my mind then to be more informed) runs so I came across this site: http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/06/jonathan-hickman-avengers-reading-guide/ which got me checking Amazon at first and noticed this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785191097/?tag=neogaf0e-20. Going by the reviews though, it seems like it has extra issues but two things that concern me:

1) Is this hardcover collection basically a collection of all of these separate collections collected even more because the collection info isn't much detailed at all (that is a lot of collecting)

2) Because it was released last month, does that mean I have to wait even longer for vol. 2? Because going by this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785197095/?tag=neogaf0e-20, that maybe so and I don't think I want to wait that long while Secret Wars is going on.
Hickman's FF -> Avengers run is amazing. Youre in for a hell of a ride.

However, it is something like 80 issues long now, and I would definitely recommend you read the entire thing in order.

Good news! You can read almost the entire thing without killing your wallet. Get a Marvell Unlimited account. Its like Netflix for Marvel comics. It runs 6 months behind but you can just buy the issues from the last six months instead of the last few years.

The hardcover you linked is a great format but the collection is kind of messed up. They really should have collected it a different way, probably by treating both Avengers and New Avengers as one series. If you get that OHC you'd probably want the OHC of New Avengers which would be fine if it didnt have so many overlapping issues that are absolutely necessary for the Infinity storyline.

So I guess I would just recommend reading everything on Marvel Unlimited and buying the eventual omnibus that will actually have the issues compiled in a way that makes sense.

Theres a pretty good reading order someone posted here. Ill try to look for it if its not posted soon again.

BBboy20

Hickman's FF -> Avengers run is amazing. Youre in for a hell of a ride.

However, it is something like 80 issues long now, and I would definitely recommend you read the entire thing in order.

Good news! You can read almost the entire thing without killing your wallet. Get a Marvell Unlimited account. Its like Netflix for Marvel comics. It runs 6 months behind but you can just buy the issues from the last six months instead of the last few years.

The hardcover you linked is a great format but the collection is kind of messed up. They really should have collected it a different way, probably by treating both Avengers and New Avengers as one series. If you get that OHC you'd probably want the OHC of New Avengers which would be fine if it didnt have so many overlapping issues that are absolutely necessary for the Infinity storyline.

So I guess I would just recommend reading everything on Marvel Unlimited and buying the eventual omnibus that will actually have the issues compiled in a way that makes sense.

Theres a pretty good reading order someone posted here. Ill try to look for it if its not posted soon again.
You're right. I've been feeling a bit pressured about some of those FF prices that I was wondering if I was gonna' go for it this summer but yeah, my main money should focus on Secret Wars and rely on other cheaper means to read Hickman's stories that lead to this. Thanks, ed. ^_^

Owzers

i knew the Rockets had this even when they were down by 15ish, i didn't know it would be with Harden on the bench, that's a new one.

Got my Ganondorf statue with my DCBS order.. this thing is a giant, I wasn't expecting it to be as big.
J9nl8IL.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Hey guys sorry to ask again but what is the Avengers/New Avengers reading order? I can't find it on every page and I'm confused.

Got my Ganondorf statue with my DCBS order.. this thing is a giant, I wasn't expecting it to be as big.

Oh man the first time I saw that In person the first thought I had was "why is that base so damn big" I mean it's huge.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey guys sorry to ask again but what is the Avengers/New Avengers reading order? I can't find it on every page and I'm confused.

Its:

Reading Order:

New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12
Avengers #24
New Avengers #13-15
Avengers #25-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24
Avengers #36
New Avengers #25
Avengers #37
New Avengers #26
Avengers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers #28
Avengers #40
New Avengers #29
Avengers #41
New Avengers #30
Avengers #42
New Avengers #31-32
Avengers #43
New Avengers #33
Avengers #44
Secret Wars #1-8

Oh man the first time I saw that In person the first thought I had was "why is that base so damn big" I mean it's huge.

Haha YES that's funny I thought that same thing.

Zombine

Banned
It seems like I hurt rakhir's feelings. Dude just sent me a pm:

rakhir said:
Hey, thanks for reminding me why I've been avoiding comics OTs.

If you really thought I was serious...I don't know what to tell you. I think had you not been avoiding comic OT's you'd recognize who is joking and that we're all good company here.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Has ComicGAF even seen the first two Mad Max movies? Just seeing those two movies should make one want to see the new one.
First two are barely watchable, my dude. Mad Max 3, however, holds up damn well. Also, i'm fucking excited about Fury Road.

Zombine

Banned
See, I thought that Mad Max always took place in the desert, but from what I've seen the first two look like they take place in a Forest? That really threw me off guard.

Edit: well...not necessarily a "Forest", but not the setting I thought it would be.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
See, I thought that Mad Max always took place in the desert, but from what I've seen the first two look like they take place in a Forrest? That really threw me off guard.
They most certainly take place in the desert, so that's weird. The third has an ewok village thing, but that's still desert-y.

Zombine

Banned
They most certainly take place in the desert, so that's weird. The third has an ewok village thing, but that's still desert-y.

I'll have to watch them. It's just that the "12 things you didnt know about mad max" on Kotaku highlighted scenes that didn't look very desert-y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom