• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out some random books that started with Marvel NOW. It's a big starting point for their current stuff and you can check out basically any hero and be good to go. They launched several books at the beginning of the year, like Ant-Man and Squirrel Girl, which are pretty great and also easy to just dive into.

Other than that, definitely give Hawkeye by Matt Fraction a shot. It gets lots of love for a good reason and it's easy to jump into. Daredevil by Mark Waid and Superior Foes of Spider-Man are also great books that are very newbie-friendly.

I'd mostly avoid big events just because a lot of them aren't very good in general.

Good, so Marvel NOW! it is then. But what does this mean? http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/19/8257043/marvel-ending-33-comics-secret-wars

Is everything starting from scratch again? And is Secret Wars not important for this since it's a major event?

Messi

I always thought of a Mary Sue as a character whose only personality trait was "good at stuff." Since I don't feel Silk is that, I guess I don't see her as a Mary Sue

HERE HERE!

I mean, Inhuman is pretty good

Death Vigil is sick as hell

It doesn't help that Death Vigil has been very inconsistent with releases. Did we even get one last month?

Yes, he uploaded it for free on deviant art. Physical book is out in two weeks. All of his shit broke stopping him from working while he waited for new stuff. That caused him to miss his deadline so he put it up on deviant art because he refused to make people wait another month. Dude just has bad luck. Good sales for the trade is all that will save death vigil according to him.

Yes, he uploaded it for free on deviant art. Physical book is out in two weeks. All of his shit broke stopping him from working while he waited for new stuff. That caused him to miss his deadline so he put it up on deviant art because he refused to make people wait another month. Dude just has bad luck. Good sales for the trade is all that will save death vigil according to him.
I did not know that. Gracias.
I know this sounds mean, but I'm okay if Death Vigil doesn't go beyond it's initially planned 8 issue run (that was the case, was it not?). I love the book, I do. I look forward to it every month, but I'd really like it if it ended and just told a really good story. I wouldn't want it to go on for too long.

Good, so Marvel NOW! it is then. But what does this mean? http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/19/8257043/marvel-ending-33-comics-secret-wars

Is everything starting from scratch again? And is Secret Wars not important for this since it's a major event?
Secret Wars is the biggest event since Civil War. Pretty much everything is either ending or just going on hiatus while the event and its tie-ins release.

While some of those books will not return, there's no way series like Amazing Spider-Man or X-Men won't come back. The event hasn't ended yet, and Marvel has yet to spoil the after effects, so no one can really say much beyond that. Either way, it's not something to be that concerned with at this point.

zennyzz

Secret Wars is the biggest event since Civil War. Pretty much everything is either ending or just going on hiatus while the event and its tie-ins release.

While some of those books will not return, there's no way series like Amazing Spider-Man or X-Men won't come back. The event hasn't ended yet, and Marvel has yet to spoil the after effects, so no one can really say much beyond that. Either way, it's not something to be that concerned with at this point.

Actually they spoiled at least 5 books

Yes, he uploaded it for free on deviant art. Physical book is out in two weeks. All of his shit broke stopping him from working while he waited for new stuff. Dude just has bad luck. Good sales for the trade is all that will save death vigil according to him.

Well, bad luck and he's been learning the ropes of selling indie comics along with the quirks that come with it. He's mentioned how ish 2 was way under printed because it wasn't a #1 and it didn't have enough pre-orders/spots on pull lists, so a lot of people couldn't get copies and just dropped the book. Look, when I said I was thinking about Sunstone all day yesterday I meant it.

Deadpool Max.

Like.. what?

First, the art. It is beyond gorgeous, pastel tones and ren&stimpy style for days, suits deadpool cray cray to a T
mX1iEhS.jpg

Ia4MqpM.jpg

Alas, the writing

David Lapham. Why yes, of course. Rape jokes, both male and female, for days, because lol.

Sigh.

Deadpool Max.

Like.. what?

First, the art. It is beyond gorgeous, pastel tones and ren&stimpy style for days, suits deadpool cray cray to a T

Alas, the writing

David Lapham. Why yes, of course. Rape jokes, both male and female, for days, because lol.

Sigh.
Fuck that does look really good

Messi

Deadpool Max.

Like.. what?

Alas, the writing

Sigh.

Wow, that writing :/

Just saw Fury Road. It was amazing. It felt like something forward thinking and fresh while also feeling like a throwback movie. Not sure if that makes sense but those were the thoughts as I left the theater

Mad Max: Fury Road lives up to the hype. I don't see anything beating it for me this summer. What a movie. All the money is up there on the screen. It's up there with Dredd and The Raid as far as pure action movies go. It's amazing what a director who understands how action should be shot will do for an action movie. I hope it does well, I want to see the rumoured Furiosa-led sequel.

Also, Junkie XL's OST was REALLY good. Hyped for his half of the Batman vs. Superman OST now.

I got my hardcover of Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth on Friday. Seems like an appropriate read for tonight. And 2000 AD posted this on their Facebook a few days ago:

Squire

Banned
Almost done with Hickman Avengers on MU. ;_; Ordered Time Runs Out Vol. 2. I must continue!

PsychBat, were you talking about New Avengers #24 last night? Because holy shit @
that Thanos scene on the alternate earth!
Most of fucked up thing I've read so far. Jesus, Hickman.

Can someone point me to some wiki's or comics because I've been out (of Marvel) since Civil War and honestly everything is just extremely confusing right now.

Check out some random books that started with Marvel NOW. It's a big starting point for their current stuff and you can check out basically any hero and be good to go. They launched several books at the beginning of the year, like Ant-Man and Squirrel Girl, which are pretty great and also easy to just dive into.

Other than that, definitely give Hawkeye by Matt Fraction a shot. It gets lots of love for a good reason and it's easy to jump into. Daredevil by Mark Waid and Superior Foes of Spider-Man are also great books that are very newbie-friendly.

I'd mostly avoid big events just because a lot of them aren't very good in general.

^Read everything he tells you to, get Marvel Unlimited to do so relatively cheaply, then read the current runs of Avengers and New Avengers. Three a chronological reading order that someone post after me because they have it, surely. I recommend this because you clearly like the group (having read Civil War), but also because I was in your position three months ago, so I can relate.

Just read what Ty said. Can't recommend Hawkeye enough.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally went and picked up my latest order from two weeks ago:

Mega Man 45-48 (TPG 4-10 are in the mail still)
Secret TPB
Bob's Burger TPB
X-Files Year Zero #1
Wytches #2 (finally)
Mars Attacks First Born #4
Manhattan Projects TPB 1-4

E: Need to watch for the new Nameless, UFOlogy, and Intersect. Also need to get Jem #3, Secret Wars #2, and Squirrel Girl #6 since I was gone last week.

Squire

Banned
How is All New Hawkeye?

I like it myself so far, but even I'm not crazy about it. If the first arc pays off it'll still be the kind of thing that reads much better in trades than on a monthly basis.

And it's kind of a shock in that Fraction's series was designed as an antithesis to that kind of thing. I read this interview he did with the LA Times where he said that sort of thing was detrimental to comics. That if you buy a book each month, it should feel like stuff actually happens in it and you get your monies worth for it.

But I digress. I think it's OK.

Zombine

Banned
Sale was on fire for that mini series. I'm surprised you hadn't read it before now

I've only been at this for about 4 years now, so there's some books that fell through the cracks. This book hits all the notes that I love in a comic, and I'm getting Batgirl: Year One vibes from it like you wouldn't believe.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Runaways is great, and Ex Machina is pretty good. I can't remember it as much as Y or Runaways, but all his stuff is top tier.

i was a huge fan of both.

Yeah they're both on my wishlist, though Runaways looks more appealing than Ex Machina.

Speaking of my wishlist, I just made one, compiled from the recent recommends thread... It's pretty insane what I have to catch up on, not even counting Marvel/DC stuff.

For Image alone I have this

Manhattan Projects (Jonathan Hickman)
East of West (Jonathan Hickman)
The Wicked + The Divine (Gillen)
Pretty Deadly (Kelly Sue DeConink)
Black Science (Rick Remender)
Low (Rick Remender)
Rat Queens (Kurtis J Wiebe)
Velvet (Ed Brubaker)
Fatale (Ed Brubaker)
The Fade Out (Ed Brubaker)
Lazarus (Greg Rucka)
Sex Criminals (Matt Fraction)
Spread (Justin Jordan)
Chew (John Layman)
Wytches (Scott Snyder)
Zero (Ales Kot)
Drifter (Ivan Brandon)
Stray Bullets (David Lapham)

Already reading through Saga, and Southern Bastards is next. Good thing is that most of these series are pretty new and catching up won't take that much time.

Messi

Yep. I read Brub's run more recently though so I always forget about it. It's excellent though. I miss ol' Catwoman, though apparently nu-Catwoman is good now?

Valentine's run has been really good. Nocenti's run was....special.

Owzers

I bet a dollar on the Rockets despite wanting the Clippers to win :/

Rockets playing like i expected, tons of effort. This gameeeeeeeeeeeee clippers 1/10 on threes. They are dead already.

Messi

Silly. Messi's rockets are going to win. Clippers still choking from game 6

Hopefully but I don't want to tempt faith.

Friend is sitting beside me reading Sunstone vol 1 for the first time. I am so god damn nervous. What if he hates it :(. I want to be able to talk to him about it. Maybe he will think I am a bdsm weirdo (I totally am, but that is besides the point)

How is All New Hawkeye?
It's okayish. I'm probably gonna drop it honestly. I'd only recommend it if you really like Clint and Kate, and even then it's just okay. The banter is good but I'm not sure about the story and the flashback contains some really awful dialogue.

And thanks for the love Inorigo <3

Deadpool Max.

Like.. what?

Alas, the writing

Sigh.
wow this is the stray bullets guy huh. that book must be awful, consider reading club dropped

Friend is sitting beside me reading Sunstone vol 1 for the first time. I am so god damn nervous. What if he hates it :(. I want to be able to talk to him about it. Maybe he will think I am a bdsm weirdo (I totally am, but that is besides the point)
You still loan out comics after the last ones were destroyed? You're a glass half full person aren't you?

wow this is the stray bullets guy huh. that book must be awful, consider reading club dropped
I hope this is sarcasm because the logic leaps to that conclusion are astounding

Messi

You still loan out comics after the last ones were destroyed? You're a glass half full person aren't you?

I hope this is sarcasm because the logic leaps to that conclusion are astounding

Nah, he is sitting beside me.

He has been quiet for quite a while :|

Edit: he just told me there is some fucked up shit in this book and I asked him what so he showed me a picture of bound and gagged Lisa. Said its not for him. :( well this sucks. Now I feel like a weirdo.

Bii

I don't have very many friends or family members who are into comics, so luckily for me, no one ever borrows from me. I mean, my girlfriend has read Fables but that's the extent of her comics reading and the friends I do have that read comics, they buy their own. I'm always afraid of what condition my items may be when I get them back, even if I was sitting next to them.

I don't buy many variant covers above cover price but I had to make an exception for the one Paolo River did recently on Batman: Arkham Knight #3:

-

Rocket Raccoon #11

Part of me is glad that Rocket Raccoon will be ending after Secret Wars. It wasn't bad but just wasn't interesting enough for me to keep buying it month-to-month. I keep forgetting to tell my LCS to take it off my pull list, oh well. This issue does wrap up some events in an abrupt manner but I like how it ties it back to the first issue.

Also, Jake Parker's art seems to become a bit sparse with each issue when he came on board when he took over Skottie's art duties.

-

FCBD 2015 - TMNT Prelude to Vengeance

I haven't been interested in TMNT comics but this FCBD issue has turned that around. It looks like it covers a lot of major events that has happened in TMNT comics' history. Having only been exposed to the '87 TV series and the toys that followed it thereafter, I didn't know the comics can be so...non-kid friendly. I guess it's very much like Transformers where bleeding, death, and the emotional toll some of these characters go through is pretty damn deep.

I really like Shredder's design. Never knew he can look so menacing.

Nah, he is sitting beside me.

He has been quiet for quite a while :|

Edit: he just told me there is some fucked up shit in this book and I asked him what so he showed me a picture of bound and gagged Lisa. Said its not for him. :( well this sucks. Now I feel like a weirdo.

It's okay. Your next step is knocking him out, tying him up, and beating him and forcing him to read Sunstone until he likes it.

Squire

Banned
It's okayish. I'm probably gonna drop it honestly. I'd only recommend it if you really like Clint and Kate, and even then it's just okay. The banter is good but I'm not sure about the story and the flashback contains some really awful dialogue.

And thanks for the love Inorigo <3

No prob bro <3

And yeah, agreed on ANH. I really think this first arc will be better as a trade and that's assuming it even goes anywhere. First two parts really feel like re-treads. And a delay at only the third issue is a bad sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom