• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cage Max

"Hey Brian! You write mature stuff, don't you? How about having a go at a Max title?
*sure thing! mind if i use luke cage?
"go right ahead!"
-some time passes-
"Hey Brian! I was having a look at the writing and... did you just straight lift Yojimbo?"

to be fair, rip off though it may be, crumb-inspired art and cage setting still makes it pretty good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cage Max

"Hey Brian! You write mature stuff, don't you? How about having a go at a Max title?
*sure thing! mind if i use luke cage?
"go right ahead!"
-some time passes-
"Hey Brian! I was having a look at the writing and... did you just straight lift Yojimbo?"

Eh, everyone does this everywhere. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? is a straight up rip off of The Odyssey. House of Cards is Richard III. Half the Westerns out of Hollywood were samurai movie rip offs. Writers steal from each other all the time, it's just not always so obvious.

Writers steal from each other all the time, it's just not always so obvious.

I'm aware. As you said, it's usually not that obvious.
Ending was pretty decent, to be fair.
The leone thing was a bit weirder, though. Man also wanted to introduce the samurai films in a way palatable to western tastes, according to some doc i saw long ago. Cowboys was the medium they found.

frye

With this in mind, and not listing Zdarsky, if I was looking for more home-grown books (and again, not necessarily Canadian talent working on marvel/DC books), do you or ComicGAF have any recommendations? Something has recently spurred an interest in seeking such comics out, but I don't know where to start.

Aside from your classic and canonical crew of dudes like Dave Sim, Chester Brown, Joe Matt, Seth etc. you got Brandon Graham (imported, but I still count him), Stokoe, Michael DeForge, Jillian Tamaki, Emily Carroll, Bryan Lee O'Malley (expat now i think), Connor Willumsen (not as well-known as a lot of these guys yet but Check Him Out), Kate Beaton, Ethan Rilly (Pope Hats #4 this week!) and uhhhh a lot more guys in mainstream stuff like Darwyn Cooke (Fuck Him and Before Watchmen Forever), Stuart Immonen, David Finch (nooo), Fiona Staples, Francis Manapul, and of course Todd Macfarlane tha god

there are, of course, many more

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It has Paul Rudd and hes my favorite guy but im still kinda eh on it. Looks too serious like Fantastic Four. I havent seen newer trailers for them though.

Give the new trailer a try. Its fucking amazing.

I even see potential that I like Ant Man more than Avengeers 2, which would be funny.

And these Irredemable Ant Man Pages look fucking amazing... To bad that the book isnt avaiable anymore.

frye

Cap is really a social democrat? Ok.... Didnt expected this.

His political affiliation's been toned down in recent years but he was explicitly a New Deal Democrat for a long time so ~basically~ about as close to that as an American can be without going straight into a more radical set of politics

I always forget that Before Watchmen was a thing until someone mentions it

Never Forget

mreddie

A part of me feels like Ant Man is gonna be Marvel's first super bomb. Where is all the hype? It's a movie about a man who is an ant. Marvel should have called him Mant.

Mant would put asses into seats.

Have faith, at this point, no film will top Fury Road but I still want films that are just as fun. Antman looks to be one of those.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Still haven't finished House of M :(

giphy.gif

I marathoned Star Wars Rebels this weekend which then lead me down a dark hole of
The Old Republic

Bii

Plowed through a trade in one sitting. Haven't done that in awhile. I read Chew Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders. The ending of issue #45 has left me in a bit of shock. If you haven't read up until this point, I recommend that you do not highlight the following spoiler which made me step back a bit:
Poyo gets killed. ;_;

Caught up on the main Convergence series. I liked the use of
time based super-powered characters
as the source of the null-time space that the world exists in. That was pretty clever.

I didn't notice much conversation on the Archie Kickstarter cancellation. They say it's because of the "nature of the conversation" surrounding it but I also wonder how much it's poor tracking played into it. It didn't seem like it was going to land anywhere near its goal and it seems more probable they wanted to avoid a failed kickstarter. Better to get ahead of that and cancel it and blame it on bad press instead.

When exactly is Convergence supposed to end?

The end of this month.

Caught up on the main Convergence series. I liked the use of
time based super-powered characters
as the source of the null-time space that the world exists in. That was pretty clever.

I'm enjoying the main series, and yeah that was pretty interesting. I hope we see even more Booster Gold in the last few issues.

Also thought I'd share, she's trying really hard to get her optic blasts works.

11270500_10204859990794283_5110882147175314402_o.jpg

11270695_10204859990514276_679624325118286895_o.jpg

I didn't notice much conversation on the Archie Kickstarter cancellation. They say it's because of the "nature of the conversation" surrounding it but I also wonder how much it's poor tracking played into it. It didn't seem like it was going to land anywhere near its goal and it seems more probable they wanted to avoid a failed kickstarter. Better to get ahead of that and cancel it and blame it on bad press instead.

I don't see any way the first didn't influence the second.

CBR: Gerry Conway Publicly Apologizes to Top DC Brass

Following Conway's Tumblr post, DC issued a statement saying their policies had not changed in the way Conway had suggested. Furthermore, they promised they were "looking to build off of and improve on current practices by finding ways to increase the frequency of such payments and to proactively compensate equity stakeholders above and beyond the usual standards when their characters are the driving principals of new productions."

Multiple members of DC's staff, including Co-Publisher Dan DiDio and Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, also reached out to Conway directly. Conway expressed appreciation for their conversations, and offered some advice on how they could alter the policies to better suit creators.

Now, some two weeks after his initial post, Conway has issued a public apology to DiDio, Johns, Co-Publisher Jim Lee, and Vice-President of Talent Relations Larry Ganem. Though he opened by saying he stands by his basic argument against DC's policy regarding "derivative" characters, he said he needs "to walk back pretty much everything else, especially my characterization of the motives of the men involved in developing, explaining and implementing DC’s creators equity program."

"Let’s just say I ascribed motives to people that were 180 degrees opposite to their actual intentions," Conway wrote. "Geoff, Dan, Jim, and Larry sincerely want to do the right thing by creators. I didn’t give them the proper credit for that; I interpreted a disagreement about process as evidence of malign intent. In so doing, I hurt people who didn’t deserve it, and offended people who were trying to help me."

Conway admitted that when he returned to comics, he was unconsciously "looking for proof that the DC Comics of today was the same DC Comics I fought with thirty years ago." He continued, "As Geoff Johns very kindly pointed out to me when I tried to explain my reason for carrying a grudge over the last dealings I had with the company, 'Gerry, you’re talking about things that happened when I was twelve years old.'

It was a horrible, humiliating lightbulb moment.

I’m not just an ass, I’m a jackass."

Interesting roller coaster, this one.

zennyzz

Well this mini is entertaining and really interesting visually, though the narrative feels more like it's appropriate for a novel than a comic book.

Also snapping demon kitty pryde's neck when she's only 11 is pretty fuck cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom