• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, the reason for the reaction to the Jem trailer is that outside the names, hair colours, and, yes, general racial backgrounds of the four band members it looked like a super generic and not clearly linked to the original. It could have been any 4 generic young women and the trailer wouldn't have changed.

Owzers

Josie and the pussycats was a good movie. That had a band. It has been a long time since i watched it though....i could dislike it now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Stop pushing your comma and metric agenda!!

Decimals. Decimals people!
18r5grviquu3xpng.png

I mean y'all are probably right but i have no affinity for the Jem brand, and my only exposure is seeing a half of an episode randomly last month. it doesn't seem to hold up. I also kinda expected the trailer to be The Worst Thing Ever based on everything i heard

Like most cartoons from the 80s it was never expected to hold up. You can take the concept though and make it something great. That trailer is not that though. Some times you need to take the concept and run, but this was more like ignore the concept take the name and run.

I think they make sense, then again, I use them for my whole life.
I dunno. I think its like the MMDDYYYY system, which makes zero sense for outsiders.

If someone asks you, verbally, what the date is, it is quicker to say "May 18th, 2015" then to say "It's the 18th of May, 2015." Those are precious syllables.

Try 5 miles in 40 :/

So boring but I do it 3 times a week.
5 miles @ 8 isnt bad. At my best I could a 10k in 42 and 17 miles in 2:24. the longest practice run I did was something like 22 miles. That probably took like 3:35.

I can't seem to get back in to running unless I'm playing soccer anymore though

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I never got into running, but I did ride my bike 40 miles on Saturday. Except I hadn't eaten anything for like 3 hours before my ride and I'd had pretty much no carbs or salt that day so I felt like death for almost a full 24 hours afterwards.

If someone asks you, verbally, what the date is, it is quicker to say "May 18th, 2015" then to say "It's the 18th of May, 2015." Those are precious syllables.

Hey, what day is today?

Monday.

No, of the month.

Oh, 18.

Only people that have been in a coma verbally ask for the month. Ddmmyy superiority remains.

Boogiepop

Hey, what day is today?

Monday.

No, of the month.

Oh, 18.

Only people that have been in a coma verbally ask for the month. Ddmmyy superiority remains.

MMDDYY doesn't end up with the kind of ugly double digit-single digit-double digit thing you end up with all the time in DDMMYY, is how I rationalize the standard I grew up with. 5/18/15 (or 5/18/2015) is a nice ascending amount of digits, whereas 18/5/15 looks messier to me for that reason. All fairly arbitrary and not that important in the long run, though.

When is this due? The 18th. The 18th of WHAT?????? Month is used all the time. This is silly.

Yesterday. The answer to that is always yesterday.

MMDDYY doesn't end up with the kind of ugly double digit-single digit-double digit thing you end up with all the time in DDMMYY, is how I rationalize the standard I grew up with. 5/18/15 (or 5/18/2015) is a nice ascending amount of digits, whereas 18/5/15 looks messier to me for that reason. All fairly arbitrary and not that important in the long run, though.

always use 01/01/20XX in excel, so that it looks uniform when the second digit comes up.
Guess it's one of those regional things, like using justify instead of align left, which people in heathen places are so fond of using.

Seriously, when one aligns left, the baby jesus cries.

How wildly inferior the European date system is. I say very, Gameproff and Coriolanus say that it's not all that inferior.

They're wrong.
Imperial is an european date system, fam.

Zombine

Banned
I always ask people which century we're in and which year of the zodiac it is and they can never tell me. I always miss my deadlines.

Owzers

Power Girl: New Beginning tpb by Palmiotti, Gray, and Conner: Obviously the star of the book is Conner's artwork and the cartoony expressive nature of it, none of that disappointed. The story didn't do much for me though, it was broken up into three main parts: ultra humanite's plan, Power Girl trying to run a company in between the action, and three alien girls coming to Earth, and all three were average cape material. Reading the book felt similar to Gotham Academy where I only really liked a couple pages of Maps dialogue and that didn't save the book for me, likewise Atlee had the better girly hijinx moments when she was trying to test out secret identities during the movie theater pages, it was cute but brief. Random 6/10.

Like most cartoons from the 80s it was never expected to hold up. You can take the concept though and make it something great. That trailer is not that though. Some times you need to take the concept and run, but this was more like ignore the concept take the name and run.
I'm not really arguing why you should or shouldn't be disappointed with the trailer, 'cause now i get it, kinda, i'm just talking about my limited exposure to the cartoon
Hey y'all, what are we arguing about today?

on the scale of 1-10, with 1 being "so awesome" and 10 being "insanely awesome," how awesome do you think the Jem movie looks

on the scale of 1-10, with 1 being "so awesome" and 10 being "insanely awesome," how awesome do you think the Jem movie looks

went and looked at a trailer.

saw no holograms.

saw what appeared to be Spice Girls: The Movie.

saw found footage style camera work.

...why would anyone want to see this?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Image, anybody here read Morning Glories?

I got through a bunch of it. It kept building this really interesting mythology, but I realized I was reading more to try to figure it out than because I enjoyed it, which doesn't usually lead to good things in the long run so I gave it up.

I'll probably read through the wiki when it's done though.

fauxtrot

Banned
Read up through F4#602 / FF#14 over the weekend and damn, things don't feel like they can get any bigger than this! I love how all the little pieces from the previous arcs have all come together to make one massive event. Hickman has done a great job showing how each group is doing their part in their respective titles and it's all intertwining magnificently... and now that I'm used to how he writes Ben/Johnny/etc, I'm getting plenty of chuckles and "damn, that was cool" moments out of both books.

I don't want it to end, but on the other hand I'm excited to start up NA/A afterward!

Messi

Power Girl: New Beginning tpb by Palmiotti, Gray, and Conner: Obviously the star of the book is Conner's artwork and the cartoony expressive nature of it, none of that disappointed. The story didn't do much for me though, it was broken up into three main parts: ultra humanite's plan, Power Girl trying to run a company in between the action, and three alien girls coming to Earth, and all three were average cape material. Reading the book felt similar to Gotham Academy where I only really liked a couple pages of Maps dialogue and that didn't save the book for me, likewise Atlee had the better girly hijinx moments when she was trying to test out secret identities during the movie theater pages, it was cute but brief. Random 6/10.

I could have told you that you wouldn't enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom