• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiona Staples is so perfect for Archie. Shame she is only doing 3 issues.

Archie_2StaplesRegCvr_gallery_primary.jpg

Adorbs Erica Henderson Variant

Archie_2HendersonVar_gallery_primary.jpg
Yeah, whatever happened to creative teams?

dat feel when every new issue on MU update is something youre reading

I thought you were reading basically everything. That's less impressive, haha.

UPDATE on those TPBs I promised. Didn't get a break from work last week. I'm off on Friday, and will ship them then.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Just started the Guardians of the Galaxy that just got added to MU.

It's got to be rough for the artist to go through life with the last name "Schiti".

But the art is far from it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Almost done with House Of M. Not gonna lie, "no more mutants" gave me chills even tho I of course knew it was coming. For you peeps that read it "live", how big was that moment? I can't see anyway where you don't go "Oh FUCK" back in the day when it happened (especially since that's the cliffhanger)

Or had it leaked beforehand?

SCWARS2015006_AlexRoss.jpg

Thanos vs. Zombies...
THANOS REIGNS!
These Alex Ross covers are insane. I love them. Im gonna need an artbook as soon as I get disposable income again.

Complete nontravercy. Just like next to everything else comic nerds get mad about.
You may see it as a non issue , that may have ultimately been the case with Chris Sims, but the point for many people is that you can act like a total ass to a woman for no real reason and suffer no professional consequences. That this is a total regular thing because women aint shit and they should just shut up about it.

People being open about harassment is important. Its really important that people see how harassment really hurts people because yeah its real fucking people that get hurt, and that if its important to you as a reader, to use that knowledge to openly not support the creator/editor/whatever. To say it doesn't matter, makes you complicit in a culture of abuse towards women and minorities IMO

Almost done with House Of M. Not gonna lie, "no more mutants" gave me chills even tho I of course knew it was coming. For you peeps that read it "live", how big was that moment? I can't see anyway where you don't go "Oh FUCK" back in the day when it happened (especially since that's the cliffhanger)

But then you quickly learned she really meant "No more mutants*"

*Some exclusions may apply.

confusing, considering that Quicksilver lost his powers.. (for a time)

and is now being considered as a highly evolved human being.

#fuckretcons

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
But then you quickly learned she really meant "No more mutants*"

*Some exclusions may apply.

Yeah I was just wondering about that. Do they even explain that or is this a boardroom type situation of them reading the issue and going "wait what? Bendis baby we love you but we have those X-books to sell, you can't fucking erase mutants"

MG310

Looking back I feel like he did it just so people would have to draw depowered Blob and he thought that was hilarious.

Zombine

Banned
To say it doesn't matter, makes you complicit in a culture of abuse towards women and minorities IMO

You sure are jumping to a lot of conclusions about my character, aren't you? "Hey Zombine, you don't think Sims should be crucified and have his career ruined for something that could have happened with a male or female, you're basically a racist and a wife beater."

Really? Fucking hell bro.

dream

Read something like Boxers and Saints instead.

Hoping to do it soon. I loved ABC, but the idea of diving into something that's, like, 600 pages long is daunting right now. Habibi has been sitting on my shelf for years because of that.

The irony of doing a PhD in comics rendering me too busy to read comics...

Just started the Guardians of the Galaxy that just got added to MU.

It's got to be rough for the artist to go through life with the last name "Schiti".

But the art is far from it.

Schiti's artwork is awesome. His art in Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif looked amazing with the coloring by Jordie Bellaire.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hoping to do it soon. I loved ABC, but the idea of diving into something that's, like, 600 pages long is daunting right now. Habibi has been sitting on my shelf for years because of that.

I had trouble getting into Habibi despite absolutely loving Blankets. I think I'm going to try to read it from the start again and see how it goes.

Zombine

Banned

You gotta check out Beautiful Darkness as well. What a tragic book:

beautiful_pg28.jpg

You sure are jumping to a lot of conclusions about my character, aren't you? "Hey Zombine, you don't think Sims should be crucified and have his career ruined for something that could have happened with a male or female, you're basically a racist and a wife beater."

Really? Fucking hell bro.

Should have clarified that I did not mean to say that those applied to you but rather I was talking generally and extending the sentiment I think you were expressing. No I don't think you exhibit those characteristics. I don't think I've seen you make remarks that are entirely dismissive like those I'm talking about.

I'd say complicity in culture is different than complicity in legal terms. Legally speaking, complicity would make you almost as guilty as the actual perpetrator.

Many of us (including me) have been complicit in creating/sustaining a culture that is, to put it midly, uninviting to women and minorities. Possibly you don't see it as a problem or you don't see what you, me, or others do as fostering that part of the culture, and thats fine, that's a judgement call. It sure doesn't make you a bad person, but I do think its important to know many do see it that way.

Many in that minority will point at us and call us guilty for being part of that culture and not demanding that kind of change ourselves. I think a lot of that is grey areas that don't have any clear answers. I am one of those that thinks we are complicit in a way but that doesn't mean I think that makes you or me a bad person. I sure as hell don't think Frye is a racist for buying Holy Terror or that ElBoxyBrown is sexist for liking J Scott Campbell's work.

Am I making sense here?

My reactions were in this order
- Since when is Wanda this powerful?? (a running theme with Bendis written Wanda)
- *sigh* fucking Quesada wanting to put the mutants back in the bottle

Alright comicGAF give me the skinny on The Good licensed IDW books. With this CMX sale with everything half off I think I've got a good handle on most things but their licensed products ( transformers, gi Joe, etc) are confusing as hell

So far I own:
-The new TMNT series and minis
- Godzillia half century war
-GI Joe vs Transformers
- rocketeer comics and minis
- shockrockets
- red star
- the maxx
- Locke & key
- winterworld
- Jem
- transformers last stand of the wreckers

Now I have the transformers humble bundle PDFs for more than meets the eye, robots in disguise, dark cybertron that I'm thinking of getting on CMX for better readability.

So I know we have IDW readers, what series am I missing? Are there good transformer or other minis I'm missing. They are all disjointed and hard to figure out what's the good stuff

Messi

I have read Locke & Key and Jem. I will stand by them as awesome comics. Both for completely different reasons. Pick them up.

Edit: totally misread. Good list and I can't think of anything you are missing.

Boogiepop

Alright comicGAF give me the skinny on The Good licensed IDW books. With this CMX sale with everything half off I think I've got a good handle on most things but their licensed products ( transformers, gi Joe, etc) are confusing as hell

So far I've got either from this sale or previous purchases I've got
-GI Joe vs Transformers
- shockrockets
- red star
- the maxx
- Locke & key
- winterworld
- Jem

Now I have the transformers humble bundle PDFs for more than meets the eye, robots in disguise, dark cybertron that I'm thinking of getting on CMX for better readability.

So I know we have IDW readers, what series am I missing? Are there good transformer or other minis I'm missing. They are all disjointed and hard to figure out what's the good stuff

There are definitely some decent to solid Transformers minis. I'm pretty sure there are others that I'm not sure are collected, but I've read the ones collected as "Dark Prelude" (though IIRC they didn't have much to actually do with the Dark Cybertron arc), and it was the same kind of mix as the two main series, where there are some that are passable to good, and then the more MTMTE ones are pretty great, IIRC. Windblade isn't bad either, and is definitely pretty to look at, though nothing super exceptional.

Other than that, I've read the first 16 issue long Ghostbusters series. It's solid stuff if you're a fan of the franchise, though nothing mindblowing where I'd necessarily recommend picking it up otherwise.

Zombine

Banned

So far I own:
-GI Joe vs Transformers
- shockrockets
- red star
- the maxx
- Locke & key
- winterworld
- Jem

INFINITE LOOP! You can't beat that for $2!

Rhaknar

And done with house of M. Except for a few lame tie-ins, most of it was great, even if its been retconned to hell and back since then. Time to resume the current stuff (which is starting to pile up again) until I'm in another event mood in a few weeks (or whenever it happens... I mean technically I'm reading Axis but that's as it comes out on MU so it doesn't count).

I'm not even sure what I'll tackle next when the time comes. Messiah Complex maybe? I want to do Dark Reign or Siege but those are 100+ers and i dont know when I'll be up for another 100+er anytime soon

zennyzz

That has more to do with Convergence pushing a lot of stuff down and the Star Wars line being so hot.

Barely anything else in the list had major shifts in numbers that weren't #2s compared to #1s.

Silk's still got a lot of breathing room but I really thought that spider-woman would've stabilized by now

Sandfox

Barely anything else in the list had major shifts in numbers that weren't #2s compared to #1s.

Silk's still got a lot of breathing room but I really thought that spider-woman would've stabilized by now

Silk can still stabilize at a decent number since it started off fairly high unless SW has a negative effect on all of Marvel's other books. You should probably be concerned for Spider-Woman though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom