• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilBreak

Banned
Flash was good tonight. If only DC would make a good flash comic

61%2BoDToJfoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Johns original run was so much better though.
xYxSsvG.jpg

tim1138

I've been trying to get into the Flash comics more, and my local comic store owner recommended me Rebirth as a good place to start. Or at least a good story to pick up.

It's a good Barry Allen story, since it brought him back into continuity after being gone since the original Crisis. Waid and Johns' original run were about Wally as the Flash.

Finished the first Frank Miller/Klaus Janson DareDevil Omnibus. I was pretty unimpressed with the first half of the collected issues. It all felt really dated, particularly the issues not written my Miller himself. The second half of it was much more enjoyable. It still wasn't quite what I expected though.

I'm not sure if I should move on to the second Miller Omnibus or skip those and go right to Bendis's run.

MartyStu

I do not want to continue to live in a world where not only is Scott Lobdell allowed to write comics, but he continues to deny some of my favorite characters good storylines.

Like, Red Hood has had 1 good arc (his first, Pre-Nu52).

On the plus side, I like DCs new direction. I am sure there are plenty of stinkers there, but their approach seems fun.

Finished the first Frank Miller/Klaus Janson DareDevil Omnibus. I was pretty unimpressed with the first half of the collected issues. It all felt really dated, particularly the issues not written my Miller himself. The second half of it was much more enjoyable. It still wasn't quite what I expected though.

I'm not sure if I should move on to the second Miller Omnibus or skip those and go right to Bendis's run.
Go to the second omnibus. It goes to god tier in a hurry. I had the same impressions when I first read it about 10 years ago. I know marvel wants to collect all the Miller art of the DD run but they really should have started when Frank takes over writing.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear people gushing about Mark Millar comics in 2015. These movie pitches are derived from a fucking algorithm with pre pubescently flat characters. It needs to end. It gives hope to the Dennis Hopelesses of the world, your Dan Jurgens, you princes of Maine, you kings of New England.

I do not want to continue to live in a world where not only is Scott Lobdell allowed to write comics, but he continues to deny some of my favorite characters good storylines.

On the plus side, I like DCs new direction. I am sure there are plenty of stinkers there, but their approach seems fun.

Red Hood and the Outlaws was so mediocre. I've heard it gets better after volume 1 but I didn't want to invest the time.

I've been trying to get into the Flash comics more, and my local comic store owner recommended me Rebirth as a good place to start. Or at least a good story to pick up.
No start with Johns start of the run. It's awesome and new reader friendly. rebirth was ok but nowhere near his early stuff. Waids run is great too but harder to track down

Messi

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear people gushing about Mark Millar comics in 2015. These movie pitches are derived from a fucking algorithm with pre pubescently flat characters. It needs to end. It gives hope to the Dennis Hopelesses of the world, your Dan Jurgens, you princes of Maine, you kings of New England.

Why does it matter if people are enjoying the stories?

Oh and btw, Chrononauts has been really damn fun so far.

tumblr_lyy6rnFJTc1qkx3d4o2_250.gif

No start with Johns start of the run. It's awesome and new reader friendly. rebirth was ok but nowhere near his early stuff. Waids run is great too but harder to track down

But I thought Rebirth was really good. It has cool Speed Force bullshit.
the-flash-rebirth-20091116105114325-000.jpg

Doomed looks cool and the main character is a poc. Shit, he's trying at least.

Your missing out on Red Hood though. It's crazy.

Why does it matter if people are enjoying the stories?

Oh and btw, Chrononauts has been really damn fun so far.
Cuz you gotta this brah spamming Hadouken in SFIV and nobody wants to step up and parry this motherfucker with a twelve hit combo and say "Who bitch this!?" There's no value there. And then somebody came along and was like "hey brah we love the Hadouken and everything but you can't be raping people, detonating fetuses, beat women, psychologically traumatized children. " okay brah I'm cool now. So then he goes and gets clipped like a Sharpei puppy, watches a few Pixar movies, one too many TNT procedural marathons, given unlimited confidence and thinks he can take on the world. So he goes up to some chap in an East Lost Angeles pub and says "hey mate, I got this story. We got these two lads that have time travel and shit, so we'll use naut derived from the Greek work meaning travel and chrono meaning time to describe them as time travelers. And they'll go on these adventures through time yeah, mishaps and the like. It's gonna warm your heart." The man turns and says "brother, you can't go talking around here like these parts, go say exactly what you said to that guy sitting over there." He does so with fervor, but then gets punched. "See brother, you should've just said.....[whishpers]" So the chap walks up to another and says "I got this story it's Back to The Future meets Jurassic Park and the letter one is Buzz Lightyear meets the last twenty minutes of Rocky V." Aaaaaahhhhhhh says the man in understanding.

Cuz you gotta this brah spamming Hadouken in SFIV and nobody wants to step up and parry this motherfucker with a twelve hit combo and say "Who bitch this!?" There's no value there. And then somebody came along and was like "hey brah we love the Hadouken and everything but you can't be raping people, detonating fetuses, beat women, psychologically traumatized children. " okay brah I'm cool now. So then he goes and gets clipped like a Sharpei puppy, watches a few Pixar movies, one too many TNT procedural marathons, given unlimited confidence and thinks he can take on the world. So he goes up to some chap in an East Lost Angeles pub and says "hey mate, I got this story. We got these two lads that have time travel and shit, so we'll use naut derived from the Greek work meaning travel and chrono meaning time to describe them as time travelers. And they'll go on these adventures through time yeah, mishaps and the like. It's gonna warm your heart." The man turns and says "brother, you can't go talking around here like these parts, go say exactly what you said to that guy sitting over there." He does so with fervor, but then gets punched. "See brother, you should've just said.....[whishpers]" So the chap walks up to another and says "I got this story it's Back to The Future meets Jurassic Park and the letter one is Buzz Lightyear meets the last twenty minutes of Rocky V." Aaaaaahhhhhhh says the man in understanding.

l0xHdfd.gif

Squire

Banned

Hopeless is good though...

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Cuz you gotta this brah spamming Hadouken in SFIV and nobody wants to step up and parry this motherfucker with a twelve hit combo and say "Who bitch this!?" There's no value there. And then somebody came along and was like "hey brah we love the Hadouken and everything but you can't be raping people, detonating fetuses, beat women, psychologically traumatized children. " okay brah I'm cool now. So then he goes and gets clipped like a Sharpei puppy, watches a few Pixar movies, one too many TNT procedural marathons, given unlimited confidence and thinks he can take on the world. So he goes up to some chap in an East Lost Angeles pub and says "hey mate, I got this story. We got these two lads that have time travel and shit, so we'll use naut derived from the Greek work meaning travel and chrono meaning time to describe them as time travelers. And they'll go on these adventures through time yeah, mishaps and the like. It's gonna warm your heart." The man turns and says "brother, you can't go talking around here like these parts, go say exactly what you said to that guy sitting over there." He does so with fervor, but then gets punched. "See brother, you should've just said.....[whishpers]" So the chap walks up to another and says "I got this story it's Back to The Future meets Jurassic Park and the letter one is Buzz Lightyear meets the last twenty minutes of Rocky V." Aaaaaahhhhhhh says the man in understanding.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwZgTyyVV4

My polygraph must be broken, because I detect no lies

Mark Millar's work deserves plenty of criticism but it does have its qualities when Millar actually puts effort in to them.

He also works with some of the very best artists around and is one of the best writers when it comes to getting the best out of his artists so his books are always gorgeous. He also pays them really well so honestly, I can't be mad at him. I hope he keeps getting paper for his favorite artist. Bill Sienkiewicz is next apparently.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Went to read Spider Woman #1, issue starts with her, Silk and Spidey Noir...whut

Then I noticed the Spider Verse tag on the cover and I shelved it (as much as you can do that on MU) for now

Went to read Spider Woman #1, issue starts with her, Silk and Spidey Noir...whut

Then I noticed the Spider Verse tag on the cover and I shelved it (as much as you can do that on MU) for now

I did the exact same thing, but I also noticed that Greg Land did the art and COMICS GAF has ruined him for me. :)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Mad Max Fury Road is fucking amazing, and movie theatres are still the shittiest places on Earth. Like, worse than even comic shops.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know only like four or five of us are participating atm (maybe Freeza is in heaven) but Stray Bullets is starting to grow on me more

I got into it the second I saw where the first issue was heading. And then the second was almost too brutal for me. Excellent series so far. Gonna catch up tomorrow and post my thoughts in the thread.

I got into it the second I saw where the first issue was heading. And then the second was almost too brutal for me. Excellent series so far. Gonna catch up tomorrow and post my thoughts in the thread.

The second was a huuuge turnoff for me. I mean, it's well written and illustrated and all but that shit was too dark for someone like me. The third one was great and definitely makes me want to read more.

Yeah, Start with Spider-Woman #5, not #1. Marvel screwed the pooch with that one.

I mean... yeah

Hmm. So many comics to pick up tomorrow. I hope they have all the ones I want.

Living in my tiny town sucks for comics. They only stock Mahvel and DC on a tiny section of a wall in the back of a hobby shop and all my Outcast and Wytches orders are always a couple days behind.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
SHIELD Vol. 1 by Hickman arrived \m/
Hope I finish FF Vol. 2 next Weekend, then I will read through this. I need all of Hickman Oversized in my Life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom