• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
Finished the first Frank Miller/Klaus Janson DareDevil Omnibus. I was pretty unimpressed with the first half of the collected issues. It all felt really dated, particularly the issues not written my Miller himself. The second half of it was much more enjoyable. It still wasn't quite what I expected though.

I'm not sure if I should move on to the second Miller Omnibus or skip those and go right to Bendis's run.

Yeah, the stuff not by Miller is dated. Even then, you're going to have some stuff be the product of the times but it's all good.

Black Widow even notes how Matt isn't the goofy, cheerful guy he was once Miller takes over.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, the stuff not by Miller is dated. Even then, you're going to have some stuff be the product of the times but it's all good.

Black Widow even notes how Matt isn't the goofy, cheerful guy he was once Miller takes over.

Ironically Matt IS goofy and cheerful these days

Vibranium

Banned
Ironically Matt IS goofy and cheerful these days

Yep, though that's his way of coping these days. I kind of expect things to get somewhat darker after Waid, hope there's a good writer on DD.

I mean, we got a very long upbeat run with moments of darkness, that's great.

And Gwen?

Also fine.

Spider-Woman is the odd man out.

It should've gone Spider-Verse > Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk as sort of a free-for-all cage match to see who's the most popular Spider-lady.

They lobbied heavily for Spider-Woman at a "Women of Marvel" panel as a new direction for the character. Instead, they started Spider-Woman in the middle of Spider-Verse, put Greg Land on interiors, and kicked it off with the Manara variant.

Issue #5 is a complete reboot and essentially unrelated to the first four issues. New direction, new artist. They should've just started there instead of hamstringing the title with the first four issues.

Spider-Woman_Vol_5_5_Textless.jpg

I'm hoping 1-4 is one trade with a Spider-Verse branding and issue #5+ is the first volume.

It's been awhile since I read Busiek's Avengers and I've been going through the omnibus and man, the dialogue reeeeaaaalllly doesn't holdup well. Maybe the retro-style just doesn't have the charm it used to.I think a lot of the stories are fun, though. The first arc is the first comic series I followed and collected as they were coming out, so it has a lot of nostalgia for me. the Perez art is great I love his Scarlet Witch, I'm glad I have the run in this format and I can't wait to pick up part 2 later this year. I wish they would collect more stuff from this era, specifically the early Thunderbolts stuff.

zennyzz

Don't bother with early spider-woman

1-4 are goddamn travesties. It's pretty clear that Hopeless didn't know what the fuck to do with Jessica during that arc, and Land art makes it all the worse.

Also Silk is pretty damn insufferable in it.

5 is basically the true Spider-Woman #1 and is leagues better than the tie-in arc preceding it

It's been awhile since I read Busiek's Avengers and I've been going through the omnibus and man, the dialogue reeeeaaaalllly doesn't holdup well. Maybe the retro-style just doesn't have the charm it used to.I think a lot of the stories are fun, though. The first arc is the first comic series I followed and collected as they were coming out, so it has a lot of nostalgia for me. the Perez art is great I love his Scarlet Witch, I'm glad I have the run in this format and I can't wait to pick up part 2 later this year. I wish they would collect more stuff from this era, specifically the early Thunderbolts stuff.

I was reading Ultron Unlimited again the other day and I'd have to agree with you. I still love it but it's hilarious how the characters always have to explain what attack they're going to use and why it did/didn't work. It's all kind of goofy and then you have Ultron standing on a pile of corpses.

Squire

Banned
Also Bendis is really trying to sell me this Dr. Strange and Magik buddy comic

and it's working.

I hadn't considered that, but I do enjoy those scenes and would read the shit out of that. A good writer could establish a rock solid father/daughter thing there and when you consider Magik's (lack of) morality and Strange not being perfectly centered himself, it gets even more interesting.

Strange: "Remember that time you tried to enslave the world, Magik?"
Magik: "Yeah I do. Remember when you unleashed Cthulu to kill a world?"
Strange: "Good times. I think we'll be great together."

Nelo Ice

Banned
So damn this hobby is going to cost me :(. Just started buying comics after just using cheap or free MU sub codes. Have only read through Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest on MU. Besides that have picked up physical copies and read through Spider-Gwen #1-#4 and Secret Wars #1-2. Also read and got the marvel stuff from free comic book day which is what spurred me to start buying actual copies.

Tomorrow I feel like I'm gonna end up getting A-Force and it's taking all my will power to only buy a limited number of Secret Wars tie-ins. The only justification I have in buying tie-ins is one of my CCs gives me 5% cashback on book stores and thankfully the local comic shop is coded as one.

Squire

Banned
Read the first three ssues of Hickman's FF. digging it. Epting's art convinced me to go ahead and try.

Also, the very last panel of #3 is hella foreshadowing for the plot of New Avengers. Like, damn.

So damn this hobby is going to cost me :(. Just started buying comics after just using cheap or free MU sub codes. Have only read through Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest on MU. Besides that have picked up physical copies and read through Spider-Gwen #1-#4 and Secret Wars #1-2. Also read and got the marvel stuff from free comic book day which is what spurred me to start buying actual copies.

Tomorrow I feel like I'm gonna end up getting A-Force and it's taking all my will power to only buy a limited number of Secret Wars tie-ins. The only justification I have in buying tie-ins is one of my CCs gives me 5% cashback on book stores and thankfully the local comic shop is coded as one.

Set yourself a budget or total number of comics per month and stick to it. Don't hesitate to slash books from your list if they drop in quality and no longer rise to your must read pile. Also consider buying codes off eBay for books on the cheap as well.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Set yourself a budget or total number of comics per month and stick to it. Don't hesitate to slash books from your list if they drop in quality and no longer rise to your must read pile. Also consider buying codes off eBay for books on the cheap as well.

I would love to get digital copies but I can't afford a proper tablet to read on so I'll probably stick to MU and reading on my PC along with physical copies. And yeah I'll just allocate money using YNAB and resist. So far there's 3 tie ins including A-force that I'm looking at along with the main SW issues so that shouldn't cost too much.

arkon

Caught up on Drifter. Still not much of a clue what's going on and yet compelled to read that next issue so it's doing something right.

DC preview day.

First up is Robin Son of Batman. I liked it. At first I thought the writing was a little off but I had to remember I was reading words from a pre-teen. By the end, it was good.

Look closer at the cover, Hal is back and there's a new male Flash as well. This book is the best.

I want to imagine that Howard Porter gets the page notes and never has a clue what dumb shit they are going to have him draw this time.

"Oh, Giant Turtle Jimmy Olsen. Of course. Right."

But yeah I noticed that other stuff too. I just didn't care.

Cause Giant Turtle Jimmy Olsen.

New Catwoman artist is way better! The book is still the same smart, crime book that it was with Valentine, just hope she lets Selina have SOME fun. All work and no play, makes a Selina a very dull girl.

Messi

I bought some variants. Anyone want a code for Secret Wars #1, Howard the duck #1 or some recent Uncanny X-Men issue?

Martian Manhunter looks kinda ehhh. Eddy Barrows art looks pretty fine though, part of it's probably the colorist. I read a War of the Supermen comic he drew the other day and it looked pretty bad

Tizoc

Messi
MESSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Why aren't you playing Life is Strange? Ep. 3 is the epitome of girly hijinks, why are you not filling your dark soul with dat girly hijinks yet?

Messi

Messi
MESSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Why aren't you playing Life is Strange? Ep. 3 is the epitome of girly hijinks, why are you not filling your dark soul with dat girly hijinks yet?

I own it. Like everything else, I don't read/play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom