• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Millar's work deserves plenty of criticism but it does have its qualities when Millar actually puts effort in to them.

He also works with some of the very best artists around and is one of the best writers when it comes to getting the best out of his artists so his books are always gorgeous. He also pays them really well so honestly, I can't be mad at him. I hope he keeps getting paper for his favorite artist. Bill Sienkiewicz is next apparently.

I like Chrononauts a lot but I wouldn't say he put work in. Every sentence of dialogue still has the same deadeningly dull and repetitive syntax. That's not work. It's his job to do better than that. He just lucked into a fun idea he can't beat his way through.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I like Chrononauts a lot but I wouldn't say he put work in. Every sentence of dialogue still has the same deadeningly dull and repetitive syntax. That's not work. It's his job to do better than that. He just lucked into a fun idea he can't beat his way through.
At the moment I'm kinda starting to consider reading something from Mark Millar, BenjB jumps to the rescue and gives me good reason not too.

Thanks, man.

Cuz you gotta this brah spamming Hadouken in SFIV and nobody wants to step up and parry this motherfucker with a twelve hit combo and say "Who bitch this!?" There's no value there. And then somebody came along and was like "hey brah we love the Hadouken and everything but you can't be raping people, detonating fetuses, beat women, psychologically traumatized children. " okay brah I'm cool now. So then he goes and gets clipped like a Sharpei puppy, watches a few Pixar movies, one too many TNT procedural marathons, given unlimited confidence and thinks he can take on the world. So he goes up to some chap in an East Lost Angeles pub and says "hey mate, I got this story. We got these two lads that have time travel and shit, so we'll use naut derived from the Greek work meaning travel and chrono meaning time to describe them as time travelers. And they'll go on these adventures through time yeah, mishaps and the like. It's gonna warm your heart." The man turns and says "brother, you can't go talking around here like these parts, go say exactly what you said to that guy sitting over there." He does so with fervor, but then gets punched. "See brother, you should've just said.....[whishpers]" So the chap walks up to another and says "I got this story it's Back to The Future meets Jurassic Park and the letter one is Buzz Lightyear meets the last twenty minutes of Rocky V." Aaaaaahhhhhhh says the man in understanding.

I read this and all I can think is

char_6993.jpg

I haven't read Chrononauts so I can't really speak about it specifically. I agree with you on his dialogue being repetitive from comic to comic.

However, I'd say that there is a clear difference in the quality between something like kick ass 2/nemesis/ultimate comics avengers and ultimates/American jesus. I'd say that the difference in quality between his better work and his worse work comes down to effort.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ughhh i can't wait to hit up forbidden planet and pick up A-Force

considering buying a digital copy to my iPad and reading it on the can in the office

New comic book day!

Secret Wars going all-in now. Picked up Planet Hulk, A-Force, Battleworld, Spider-Verse and A-Force. Hopefully they're better than standard event tie-in nonsense.

A-force #1: Well that explains how America changed books.

Expected more, though it did set up quite a bit.

Expected more in that is was heavy exposition and little actually happening or expected more in the sense that it felt off?

And as a note to everyone: Yes, I will be setting up an avatar soon. I just need a bit more time to think about it because it is clearly the most important choice of my life.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Expected more in that is was heavy exposition and little actually happening or expected more in the sense that it felt off?

And as a note to everyone: Yes, I will be setting up an avatar soon. I just need a bit more time to think about it because it is clearly the most important choice of my life.

i'm glad the gravity of this situation is not lost on you

Forget a career. Forget a family. THE AVATAR is the only choice that matters.

Everytime I see one of your posts I think it's a new person because I don't have an avatar to associate with it.

Who are you again?

Messi

Does this mean that Messi has Disassociative Identity Disorder?

Who am I? Really?

--

I haven't read the preview for Robin Son of Batman but I looked at the art. I will forgive any story problems for more Gleason art. He is incredible on every level. Might be my favorite cape artist.

zennyzz

So for people who've read A-Force what's the in-universe reason there aren't any male heroes? Spoil me please.

No answer's given. Not even entirely sure if it's true. Namor seemed pretty superish, though he didn't do much so it could just be eh.

Comic was mostly focused on
America breaking Doom's law and being sent to the shield

Vyer

Planet Hulk is kinda groovy.

I mean we're talking Gladiator Cap riding fuckin Devil Dinosaur ffs. Also really cool to have Pak do the backstory.

zennyzz

So Spiderverse should move to my "Must Buy" list and A-Force should go to my "Maybe Wait For #2" list?

A-Force as it current stands feels more like She-Hulk and her Amazing Friends

While Spiderverse feels like a really solid team book, albeit without the team being together yet.

Also classifying the human spiders as the sinister six was hype ass shit

Zombine

Banned
Who am I? Really?

--

I haven't read the preview for Robin Son of Batman but I looked at the art. I will forgive any story problems for more Gleason art. He is incredible on every level. Might be my favorite cape artist.

Are you Harley? Harden? Olivia? What are you?

Thank God for a bunch of random ass tie ins instead of a bunch of random ass tie ins.

Oh come on, Marvel pulled a Dunkin Donuts sale on the day Starbucks closed all the stores for training and you know it.

It's ok. Starbucks didn't close down. Everyone survived. Don't worry.

EDIT: Also, to your earlier drive by about A-Force, no need to spoiler. Luke Cage was on page 1 of the preview.

I was gonna take zennyzz's word for Spider-Verse and then I saw it was $4.99... I'll think about it

I just need to know: Is this the spider team-up book I've always wanted?

zennyzz

I was gonna take zennyzz's word for Spider-Verse and then I saw it was $4.99... I'll think about it

I just need to know: Is this the spider team-up book I've always wanted?

It's not yet gotten to the point where they've teamed up, but it definitely gives all of the current players (save noir) a lot of shine time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom