• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, amazed how well all the SW crossovers tie in together. We're both Battleworld stories lead ins? Seemed like they were prologues for
Inferno and MODOK Assassin.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
OK, just read Ultimate End #1, wth, anyone know what's going on? Two Starks, one should be dead, and a peter from a different universe. I'm assuming we have two universes co existing within each other.

Short answer: We don't really know yet.

Longer Answer: We know that this Manhattan is a combination of 616 Manhattan and 1610 Manhattan, based on the map at the beginning, but with so many different versions of the same character running around it's hard to tell which one is which, exactly.
Tony should be dead, for sure, and Cyclops should be Phoenixed
, but we don't really know yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dat Daredevil #10 office plaque

Kirsten McDuffie
And
Fine, he's Daredevil okay?
Are you happy now?
Attorneys-at-law

I like this...I like this very much

Edit: yoo this last page with Matt curled up in bed all depressed (from the purple kids mojo) and he calls Kirsten to talk and she's been right outside his apartment the whole time waiting was great.

Kirsten best DD girlfriend confirmed

zennyzz

Kirsten McDuffie
And
Are you happy now?
Attorneys-at-law

Edit: yoo this last page with Matt curled up in bed all depressed (from the purple kids mojo) and he calls Kirsten to talk and she's been right outside his apartment the whole time waiting was great.

Killgrave better be maximum sleaze in AKA

Kirsten McDuffie
And
Are you happy now?
Attorneys-at-law

52TFzm0.jpg

Short answer: We don't really know yet.

Longer Answer: We know that this Manhattan is a combination of 616 Manhattan and 1610 Manhattan, based on the map at the beginning, but with so many different versions of the same character running around it's hard to tell which one is which, exactly.
Tony should be dead, for sure, and Cyclops should be Phoenixed
, but we don't really know yet.

Tony is in an old suit, that's not the superior iron man- but that IS the "Doc Green" Hulk- are we sure this is definitely 616?

OK, just read Ultimate End #1, wth, anyone know what's going on? Two Starks, one should be dead, and a peter from a different universe. I'm assuming we have two universes co existing within each other.

Yes, you're dealing with 616 and 1610 in the same city, with versions of their respective heroes pulled from different points in history as far as I can tell. It's is 616 and 1610, but seems to not actually be those universes, if that makes sense. 616 Stark is wearing the Bleeding Edge armor, which puts him back in Heroic Age. Spider-Man and Cyclops are not the ones that survived the collapse in the Raft. In fact, I don't think we've seen the Raft survivors in any book yet. The Ultimate universe should have its own Peter Parker, unless they only count the people who were in New York, at which point Ultimate Peter is gone.

It's confusing.

Tony is in an old suit, that's not the superior iron man- but that IS the "Doc Green" Hulk- are we sure this is definitely 616?

Actually, that's not even the Marvel Now armor, which was the black and gold.

EDIT: If we're spoiler-free.

The great part about that one was how it ended on that "oh shit Murdock's in that Born Again pose, story ends on a dark note"

L5-ypiH0TnsdeJ6sJQBvuaH3AQpm46Kch4QQs4ANFdZ_0YXYCAz5gyshQOXCx_F20aOJ6a3npSaYdZIQnQWNcKvlApVXto3hQWr-dgNXtlWWH3uvZzY

then the letters page like "yep the books over folks", then that ray of hope there with Kirstin

She's too good for this world, definitely gon be killed off before year's up

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thought the letter page not at the end was a MU fuck up but your theory makes much more sense

Yes, you're dealing with 616 and 1610 in the same city, with versions of their respective heroes pulled from different points in history as far as I can tell. It's is 616 and 1610, but seems to not actually be those universes, if that makes sense. 616 Stark is wearing the Bleeding Edge armor, which puts him back in Heroic Age. Spider-Man and Cyclops are not the ones that survived the collapse in the Raft. In fact, I don't think we've seen the Raft survivors in any book yet. The Ultimate universe should have its own Peter Parker, unless they only count the people who were in New York, at which point Ultimate Peter is gone.

It's confusing.

Actually, that's not even the Marvel Now armor, which was the black and gold.

EDIT: If we're spoiler-free.

just went back and re-read it, to see if I could pick out anything. I don't think that's wanda's current uniform (in uncanny avengers) but i can't be sure. That's DEFINITELY not what emma's been running around in, in uncanny x-men.

on top of that, wanda mentions "doom" and 1610 notices the "Thors" coming for them, so the answer here is that it's not technically 616 and 1610, but Doom's *re-creations* of 616 and 1610. Spider-Verse also mentions that Spider Man has been missing for "years" as well, so that's probably not meant to be 616 parker either, but an impostor/simulacrum

Owzers

dcbs order shipped, Friday is Secret Wars day.

I read Amazing Spidey #9 on MU, the true start of Spider-Verse apparently, it's okay but I still hate the concept of overpowered cocky villains who aren't Superboy Prime tearing through heroes.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It took me forever to notice he's slowly getting into a fetal position as his surrounding worsen, with the whole "Born Again" theme and all that.

After that, he spreads back out and gets all Jesus-y. But after that it sort of loses the thread. I know that Frank Miller has gotten a bit nuts, but the guy sure could write a hell of a comic arc.

frye

It took me forever to notice he's slowly getting into a fetal position as his surrounding worsen, with the whole "Born Again" theme and all that.

whoa, good call

tumblr_mo46lrBhKH1r9dsg6o6_540.jpg

and this is the next in the sequence, Born Again indeed!

god I fuckin love that comic. It's undeniably misogynist as fuck (they did Karen dirty) and we can quibble about the ending and Mazz only got better from that point on but it's fucking amazingggg

Man looking over this MU update, Marvel wasn't in a good way 6 months ago. So many SIXIS and spider verse books. If I was buying books I'd probably only read 3-4. But I find it hard to "drop" MU books. Even when I'm not super excited about them

whoa, good call

http://40.media.tumblr.com/93a4f54722b990e29bb09f6194d25a44/tumblr_mo46lrBhKH1r9dsg6o6_540.jpg[IMG]

and this is the next in the sequence, Born Again indeed!

god I fuckin love that comic. It's undeniably misogynist as fuck (they did Karen dirty) and we can quibble about the ending and Mazz only got better from that point on but it's fucking amazingggg[/QUOTE]

Year One is more polished, especially with the color and no Nuke, but Born Again is Dat Comic tho [IMG]http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/mjcry1.png

Daredevil_Born_Again_116.jpg
Daredevil_Born_Again_117.jpg

frye

After that, he spreads back out and gets all Jesus-y. But after that it sort of loses the thread. I know that Frank Miller has gotten a bit nuts, but the guy sure could write a hell of a comic arc.

i dunno -- you lose the "Matt laying in bed" motif but you get his his return to physical form, his reconciliation with Karen, and that great splash of him in the suit jumping from the exploding water tower

The trajectory of Born Again is the stripping down of the hero to his barest elements but also the building of him back up, which is why the comic becomes more and more of a conventional superhero comic by the end, which is reflected in each of the opening pages

Rhaknar

Man looking over this MU update, Marvel wasn't in a good way 6 months ago. So many SIXIS and spider verse books. If I was buying books I'd probably only read 3-4. But I find it hard to "drop" MU books. Even when I'm not super excited about them

You're just a Marvel hater ket!

You're the new JC, soon you'll be getting banned every 2 days

Boogiepop

So, up through 27 now in Spider-Girl on MU. It definitely has some nice bits, though it's got some rough edges too here and there. Really enjoying it though. Interesting but not terribly consequential how it does the whole 2nd person narration thing in the boxes (IE "You are Spider-Girl, etc, etc"). Really liked the Kaine arc and the stuff I just hit with the Green Goblin bits has been really good.

The weird thing to me is how much it has a similar feel to Ultimate Spider-man. Which was also surprisingly overlapping. Like, Spider-Girl came first by a decent bit, but Ultimate only started like what, 2 years later? Almost wonder if Spider-Girl would've done better for itself if Ultimate didn't kind of steal its thunder. Also kind of crazy to see how long of a run it got, though. I always thought it was a kind of low tier book since I never really hear any discussion on it and IIRC Marvel still hasn't got out a proper collection of trades or anything collecting all of it, but the initial run is 100 issues and an annual, and then there's another decent sized run, plus a few minor spin-offs!

But yeah, Spider-Girl has been fun, nice use of my free MU so far!

You're just a Marvel hater ket!

You're the new JC, soon you'll be getting banned every 2 days
Hah. I'm sure I'd say the same for other lines if given the chance to read everything.

Edit: spider girl was on death watch like almost every year of its existence. But it had a very organized, loyal and vocal fanbase.

frye

on one hand, I wanna lose all the Captain America stuff invading Murdock's story. But on the other hand, all the Cap is so good

Daredevil-Born-Again-Avengers.jpg

thedream.png

Every time they bring back Nuke it's always like... "this just doesn't work at all"

e: my favourite Cap moment in the book is those two captions, "a voice that could command a god" + "...and does" which is so great

Zombine

Banned
I hope that whoever is on Daredevil after Waid is done with this run doesn't default to Grimdark Matt and just throw death and destruction at him to force drama down our throats. I'm over it. That era should remain in the past. That's not to say that he can't stuffer, but at times it felt like a sick joke.

I hope that whoever is on Daredevil after Waid is done with this run doesn't default to Grimdark Matt and just throw death and destruction at him to force drama down our throats. I'm over it. That era should remain in the past. That's not to say that he can't stuffer, but at times it felt like a sick joke.
It'll happen. It's matts core and with the Netflix show? I feel it's only a matter of time

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
i dunno -- you lose the "Matt laying in bed" motif but you get his his return to physical form, his reconciliation with Karen, and that great splash of him in the suit jumping from the exploding water tower

The trajectory of Born Again is the stripping down of the hero to his barest elements but also the building of him back up, which is why the comic becomes more and more of a conventional superhero comic by the end, which is reflected in each of the opening pages

I actually just noticed that his reconciliation with Karen is on a bed too.

Rhaknar

That's what I'm thinking, and it's total bullshit. Without a shadow of a doubt they're going to kill of Kirsten, and we're going to get sulking Matt.

Shut your filthy mouth Zombine! :(

Every time they bring back Nuke it's always like... "this just doesn't work at all"

yeah...wtf was that shit about Remender. Dudes taking Frank Miller caricatures well past the breaking point

Re-read Year One digital edition recently...colors are so good, b. Like, it might be the only time where a re-coloring actually improved a comic, mostly because it was the SAME colorist who kept a lot of it the same, but more accurate.

Original line art:

6031359.jpg

Old 1986 comic book production

6388019.jpg

Hand-paint separation for the new edition

3725911.jpg

the digital edition

42482.jpg

He also took a few creative liberties to bring a bit more individual shades to certain scenes. He does a much fancier design for the bed, the kind of art that just wouldn't show up like this in the original 86 production, and the colors made the figures stand out more.

1394386.jpg
8261258_orig.jpg

Rhaknar

MU added a bunch of Excalibur issues. Also Elektra #8 which wasn't added on Monday when it updated. MU updates are weird lately

frye

yeah...wtf was that shit about Remender. Dudes taking Frank Miller caricatures well past the breaking point

Re-read Year One digital edition recently...colors are so good, b. Like, it might be the only time where a re-coloring actually improved a comic, mostly because it was the SAME colorist who kept a lot of it the same, but more accurate.

Original line art:

http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/8/1/8881913/6031359.jpg?573[IMG]

Old 1986 comic book production

[IMG]http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/8/1/8881913/6388019.jpg?574[IMG]

Hand-paint separation for the new edition

[IMG]http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/8/1/8881913/3725911.jpg?575[IMG]

the digital edition

[IMG]http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/8/1/8881913/42482.jpg?578[/MG]

He also took a few creative liberties to bring a bit more individual shades to certain scenes. He does a much fancier design for the bed, the kind of art that just wouldn't show up like this in the original 86 production, and the colors made the figures stand out more.

[IMG]http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/8/1/8881913/1394386.jpg?327[IMG] [IMG]http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com/uploads/8/8/8/1/8881913/8261258_orig.jpg?306[/MG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, Year One still has some of the best colours ever. I think the story goes where DKR was supposed to be this prestige format bound comic, with colouring that pushed the technology of the time to its limits, Miller and Mazzucchelli deliberately wanted Year One to be a throwback/lo-fi kind of deal. So it's just 4 issues in the monthly book on newsprint and Lewis's colours were originally done with those reproduction limitations in mind.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guuuuuuys. Just got back from the bouldering gym. That girl who I really like was there and we hung out the whole time. I'm so giddy.
Think I might ask her to coffee when I see her again on Friday. :D

So, up through 27 now in Spider-Girl on MU. It definitely has some nice bits, though it's got some rough edges too here and there. Really enjoying it though. Interesting but not terribly consequential how it does the whole 2nd person narration thing in the boxes (IE "You are Spider-Girl, etc, etc"). Really liked the Kaine arc and the stuff I just hit with the Green Goblin bits has been really good.

The weird thing to me is how much it has a similar feel to Ultimate Spider-man. Which was also surprisingly overlapping. Like, Spider-Girl came first by a decent bit, but Ultimate only started like what, 2 years later? Almost wonder if Spider-Girl would've done better for itself if Ultimate didn't kind of steal its thunder. Also kind of crazy to see how long of a run it got, though. I always thought it was a kind of low tier book since I never really hear any discussion on it and IIRC Marvel still hasn't got out a proper collection of trades or anything collecting all of it, but the initial run is 100 issues and an annual, and then there's another decent sized run, plus a few minor spin-offs!

But yeah, Spider-Girl has been fun, nice use of my free MU so far!

They threatened to cancel it so many times I think that's when I stopped caring what they had to say. I know I was the only one reading it back then at my shop so I was expecting it. But she's cool.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Guuuuuuys. Just got back from the bouldering gym. That girl who I really like was there and we hung out the whole time. I'm so giddy.

As a person that never puts them self out there, I often hate myself. Go for it!

Nudull

Banned

You gonna show her your Giant-Size Man Thing?

Ah, romance before the blood ritual. I thought kids these days had no class. Now it's all "drug them and kill them immediately" with no style. No panache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom