• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
did you tell her about your boy JC

I just wanted to pretend I had a chance with her for one more day... I'll tell her all about JC next time I see her though. And then that will be that I suppose.
JC, treat her nice for me.

As a person that never puts them self out there, I often hate myself. Go for it!

Oh, trust me, I'm the same way. I never put myself out there either.
I'm completely content being single though and I'm super picky when it comes to girls, so this kind of thing is super rare for me. Hence the excitement that I can't help but post about. :p

Guuuuuuys. Just got back from the bouldering gym. That girl who I really like was there and we hung out the whole time. I'm so giddy.
Think I might ask her to coffee when I see her again on Friday. :D
You're like a young Anakin Skywalker, you give hope to those who have none.

Suplexer

I'm heading to a comic shop for the first time in years tomorrow, because I have some free time and Mad Max and the Avengers have me in a comic book mood.

I know this isn't anyone's favorite question, but any suggestions on what I should pick up? I really, really like collected TPB or Omnibuses, and sort of despise single issues. I have an interest in Whedon's X-Men run, but I don't know where to jump in. I also would love to read some current Spiderman, or more independent, non-super hero stuff.

Are there any slice-of-life style cape books out there? My favorite moment from The Avenger's was them all hanging around trying to lift Thor's hammer. More stuff like that would be cool to read, if I'm going to read a super hero book.

I won't read something if I'm not into the art (My favorite book is Saga, if that tells you anything).

I'm heading to a comic shop for the first time in years tomorrow, because I have some free time and Mad Max and the Avengers have me in a comic book mood.

I know this isn't anyone's favorite question, but any suggestions on what I should pick up? I really, really like collected TPB or Omnibuses, and sort of despise single issues. I have an interest in Whedon's X-Men run, but I don't know where to jump in. I also would love to read some current Spiderman, or more independent, non-super hero stuff.

Are there any slice-of-life style cape books out there? My favorite moment from The Avenger's was them all hanging around trying to lift Thor's hammer. More stuff like that would be cool to read, if I'm going to read a super hero book.

I won't read something if I'm not into the art (My favorite book is Saga, if that tells you anything).
If you have interest in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, you'll have an easy time picking that up. It's the beginning of Astonishing X-Men, so it's volume 1 in trade form.

As for the rest of your demands, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I think the slice-of-lifeiest book would probably be Matt Fraction and David Aja's Hawkeye. It's what he gets up to when he's not running around with the Avengers. It involves pizza and dogs and rooftop BBQs. It's really great.
And then you, too, can be super upset when it never ends.

Volume 1 looks like this:

810YhrDk40L.jpg

Suplexer

I think the slice-of-lifeiest book would probably be Matt Fraction and David Aja's Hawkeye. It's what he gets up to when he's not running around with the Avengers. It involves pizza and dogs and rooftop BBQs. It's really great.
And then you, too, can be super upset when it never ends.

Volume 1 looks like this:

I totally read the first volume of that thanks to my local library and forgot it existed, guess I'll be picking up volume 2 because I distinctly remember loving it.

Thanks.

You want Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Other books I always suggest:
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil by Mark Waid
Deadly Class
Sex Criminals

Holy fuck Chew Vol. 6 took a sharp turn I wasn't expecting.

Antonelle...you were supposed to be my waifu....

All choked up now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hawkguy
Nextwave
Superior Foes of Spidey
Secret Avengers
Silver Surfer
Wolverine & The X-Men (volume 1 only)
Waid's Daredevil

As much as I loved the Hickman stuff, my go to recomendations are always the "quirky" stuff

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nextwave, Hawkeye, Superior Foes of Spiderman, Secret Avengers, and Sex Criminals all seem really interesting, thanks duders.

Do NOT sleep on Wolverine & The X-Men (again, volume 1 only, issues 1-42). Amazing book, just a fun read with gorgeous art. I bet even people that aren't much into X-stuff would recomended it

Wolverine_and_the_X-Men_Vol_1_3.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
Wow. People on tumblr love A-Force but hate that it's part of Secret Wars as if that was detracting from the book like Spider-Verse detracted from Spider-Woman.

Rhaknar

Speaking of WATXM I just realised that Jason Aaron, who wrote it, also wrote that 2012 Thor series you guys keep telling me to read

Welp

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. People on tumblr love A-Force but hate that it's part of Secret Wars as if that was detracting from the book like Spider-Verse detracted from Spider-Woman.

Do people think that
Loki and America were a couple? Someone called America and Nico Loki's wards, but if the Seduction of The Innocent taught us anything, it's that people take that the wrong way.

Squire

Banned
Uncanny X-Men #34 was awesome and every single character in it is awesome and gets their due. Love the sense of finality in these issues.

Read Deadly Class #1. Amazing comic. The patented Remender inner monologues are in full effect and it's incredibly stylish. One of the best #1s I've read, if not the best.

That's dumb IMO.

Yeah, of it's gonna go past SW, what does it matter? It is a new ongoing, right?

Read Deadly Class #1. Amazing comic. The patented Remender inner monologues are in full effect and it's incredibly stylish. One of the best #1s I've read, if not the best.
I told you that you'd love it! How great was the action scene with the motorcycle? The paneling and coloring during that part are both just wonderful. Sold me on the series right there.

Nudull

Banned

Well, I'd be worried too if an anticipated book of mine is a tie-in book that may go away once the event ends (highly doubt that'd happen with all the hype and success, but you get where people are coming from).

Tizoc

Can you give me a tiny bit of info why I should read it like this? You know your transformers comics but be gentle.

MTMTE is written by James Roberts, the first TF stuff he wrote for IDW was Last Stand of the Wreckers, and it is from there that he started to introduce mythos, characters and various elements of Cybertronian society & history in.

MTMTE was his chance to expand on the concept of Transformers giving them more depth than ever, and yet still managing to provide entertaining and clever writing and characterization.

Read this before reading Vol. 4 of MTMTE though, mainly as it features one shot stories he wrote
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613777167/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Squire

Banned
I told you that you'd love it! How great was the action scene with the motorcycle? The paneling and coloring during that part are both just wonderful. Sold me on the series right there.

Yeah, it's fantastic. Amazing how it pulls off a set-up and an extended action sequence like that while not rushing and keeping its pace.

Tizoc

MTMTE #44 cover
STK680467.jpg

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Either that's the Memory Stick God or we're getting answers lol

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Reading the third Zenith book right after the end of Multiversity is weird.

Morrison sure likes having heroes from all over the multiverse fighting against a menace to all that exists.

Was wondering, is anyone from COMICS-GAF playing Monster Hunter?

I bet if we add a handful of more Zero readers, we would probably represent 40-100% of Zero readers
Zero day one OG. lol

I am reading like 15+ image series and most of them are better reading then what the big two are producing. It just sucks that sales don't reflect that.

Same here,, 20 books and that's not including all the constant image #1's ill check out. I pull more Image books than I do the other big 2.

I think they are called BCW Frames. Thanks!

Sweet thanks, just ordered a 5 pack.
The frames I have now are really tight with the books in them and cant fit thicker books, these look like that have space for the book.

Ah man Time Runs Out vol 3 (Avengers 40-42/New Avengers 29-30) was fantastic. The end is so close now.

is Black Swan a grown up Valeria or something? I keep getting Val vibes from her but I'm probably way off. I'm starting to see that Doom is probably going to be the one that figures this whole thing out. Everything with Hank and the Beyonders was pretty cool, but holy fuck at them killing the Living Tribunal...

Ah man Time Runs Out vol 3 (Avengers 40-42/New Avengers 29-30) was fantastic. The end is so close now.

is Black Swan a grown up Valeria or something? I keep getting Val vibes from her but I'm probably way off. I'm starting to see that Doom is probably going to be the one that figures this whole thing out. Everything with Hank and the Beyonders was pretty cool, but holy fuck at them killing the Living Tribunal...

Yeah, I've been reading those issues over the past week and the stakes seem to get raised every issue. I've loved the slow burn of Hickman's Avengers.

Only three more to go and I can dig into Secret Wars.

I just wanted to pretend I had a chance with her for one more day... I'll tell her all about JC next time I see her though. And then that will be that I suppose.
JC, treat her nice for me.

I got you, bro. Its for the best. Every time she's with you she's thinking about me anyway, let cut the middleman out. No offense, Middleman Kipp.

So Andrea Sorrentino is doing art for Old Man Logan #1 ?! Surprised I didn't hear anything about this.
Don't care much about the book but I gotta get it for that Sorrentino art.

Is this an ongoing or what ?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is pretty much self-contained and is collected in two "Ultimate Collection" TPBs, so that should be easy to get into.

For current Spiderman, a lot of people seemed to like the Superior Spiderman run by Dan Slott that just ended fairly recently. That one is collected in both TPBs and OHCs.

As for slice-of-life style cape books, Astro City by Kurt Busiek is pretty much THE slice-of-life cape book. Definitely check that out. I think you can kind of jump in anywhere with that book. I picked up a random TPB of Astro City from the library and the stories all felt self-contained and I wasn't lost at all.

And for independent, non-super hero stuff, the recommendations are pretty much endless. Off the top of my head, two of my very favorite non-super hero books are Hellboy and Fear Agent (which are both collected in these gorgeous "Library Edition" hardcovers).

I got you, bro. Its for the best. Every time she's with you she's thinking about me anyway, let cut the middleman out. No offense, Middleman Kipp.

No offense taken! Very valid points.

Hey there ComicsGAF, I need a little help with some comics. Long story short, I passed through a hard time money wise and had to reduce my comic book (not manga) expense to Spider-Man and Avengers. Here in Brazil, the Spider-Man title has Superior and Team-Up while Avengers has the Hickman ones + World and sometimes A.I.

I stopped reading most of Marvel's book after Fear Itself and looked into DC New 52 but couldn't even start properly. Now, I'm tired of buying these home editions but they're the cheapest one for me, though I want to change that from now on.

I'm wanting to buy some imported TBPs and etc, starting next month. I already bought some things from the Book Depository since shipping is free but it takes too long and I don't want to wait two months again to get my books.

Are there any good places to import comics that delivery on a timely fashion? And, if there's any particular book that you guys think that I should read them please recommend them for me ;)

Thanks in advance!

Messi

Hey there ComicsGAF, I need a little help with some comics. Long story short, I passed through a hard time money wise and had to reduce my comic book (not manga) expense to Spider-Man and Avengers. Here in Brazil, the Spider-Man title has Superior and Team-Up while Avengers has the Hickman ones + World and sometimes A.I.

I stopped reading most of Marvel's book after Fear Itself and looked into DC New 52 but couldn't even start properly. Now, I'm tired of buying these home editions but they're the cheapest one for me, though I want to change that from now on.

I'm wanting to buy some imported TBPs and etc, starting next month. I already bought some things from the Book Depository since shipping is free but it takes too long and I don't want to wait two months again to get my books.

Are there any good places to import comics that delivery on a timely fashion? And, if there's any particular book that you guys think that I should read them please recommend them for me ;)

Thanks in advance!

Instocktrades.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom