• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Oh wow. The Spider-Girl spinoffs haven't been especially exciting, but... the Fantastic Five one squeezes in a reference to the old Hostess ads, which I find awesome.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hopefully no one good, ales kot is an asshole.
He is? Seems like one of the least "asshole" dudes in the industry.

And by least, I mean that he seems to not he an asshole at all.

Ultimate End was definitely the comic of the week. Dat banter between 616 and Ultimate characters was so good and I loved when the REAL Nick fury took charge and put everyone in their place. Easily the best Secret Wars tie in i've read so far. Only thing that bugs me is where is Ultimate Peter Parker?

zennyzz

Ultimate End was definitely the comic of the week. Dat banter between 616 and Ultimate characters was so good and I loved when the REAL Nick fury took charge and put everyone in their place. Easily the best Secret Wars tie in i've read so far. Only thing that bugs me is where is Ultimate Peter Parker?

dead?

even ignoring the asshole part, Ales Kot has a solid as hell track record when it comes to picking artists. Zircher is probably the weakest one i can recall but even he's fine

What? His twitter reads like one of a crazy person, it completely turned me off from reading anything by the guy, even if it's probably good.

oh. if you say so bro

I invoke poe's law.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What? His twitter reads like one of a crazy person, it completely turned me off from reading anything by the guy, even if it's probably good.

I mean, he's one of the few people whose twitter I look at frequently, and all I've really found is an incredibly candid and passionate dude trying to make the comics sphere a safe and awesome and inclusive place. Dude is super earnest in everything he writes, and seems to be practicing what he preaches, so to speak.

Also, if you follow his newsletter, his writings about his life hit me square in the heart-gut and are super relatable, I imagine, for a lot of us.

I also think it's shitty to dismiss somebody whose outspoken and passionate as crazy.

In closing, everybody read Zero.

Read this week's DC previews!

The Good
-Grayson (duh). It's the same book we're all familiar with, it was good before Convergence, it's looking to maintain that after.
-Robin, Son of Batman. Haven't been following this one too closely, so I'm not sure where they're going to take it, but the preview shows a lot of promise for a sort of "knight errant" type story. Damien traveling around with Goliath (whose design I adore, btw), righting wrongs and fighting evil. I'd even be cool with mostly self-contained issues, though clearly they've got other plans (was that
Nobody at the end? Looked like him.
)
-Martian Manhunter. Nice art, good writing, interesting setup. I've always kind of felt that one of MM's weaknesses was the lack of a decent supporting cast; even in the JL, he's kind of an outsider. Connecting him to more human people like the NASA lady is a good step.
-Batman/Superman. The art was just okay, but "Truth" is shaping up to be somethin' else. Looking forward to seeing how the
Supes/Gordon bromance
develops.
-Catwoman. I really gotta get up to date with this series. I think I dropped it some time around the Dollmaker stuff, this is a dramatic change of pace and very nice.
-Suicide Squad. Yes, really. It was a fun issue. Not sure about the whole "SS vs ISIS" thing, but Manta fits in better than I thought, and Boomerang's assholery is well written. Harley remains a little too lolrandom, though. Doing crazy stuff in the name of a crazy plan is one thing, but why the hell'd she run out like that?

The Bad(By which I mean, "not as good as the good.")
-Teen Titans. Meh. Art was fine, but holy teen melodrama, Batman! Not much else to say, other than that Manchester Black looks like an enormous tool, but what else is new?
-Secret Six. Another meh. Could be great, could be terrible, could be dirt average. Art is a little all over the place, and the concept reads like a repeat of the Suicide Squad without Waller as a grounding personality. Also, they all seem a little... congenial for this sort of book. I'd be happier with a Superior Foes-esque take, honestly.
-Batman Beyond. Okay, this one was legit bad. Maybe it's just that I'm still having trouble getting over the oldschool Batman Beyond I so loved, maybe it's the tie-in to the terrible Future's End event (still salty about my boy Jaime jobbing like that in the first issue), maybe it's the art, which demonstrates that the Beyond suit, as much as I love it, only really works in the context of the DCAU's forgiving style; adding definition to it kind of ruins it.

And then there's Gotham Academy, which doesn't fit into the Good/Bad/Ugly schema I had in mind when I started writing this. I know I love/adore the series, and the art was fantastic, but I just could not handle the prose.

Busaiku

I dunno about Mr. Slott staying on Spider-Man.
He's been on it for a while, and since Peter came back, it really felt like he just doesn't care.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just bought some James Stokoe art... it'll look great right next to my Michel Fiffe and Mike Mignola originals!

Dat last panel:
23641.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help but brag. :)

I mean, he's one of the few people whose twitter I look at frequently, and all I've really found is an incredibly candid and passionate dude trying to make the comics sphere a safe and awesome and inclusive place. Dude is super earnest in everything he writes, and seems to be practicing what he preaches, so to speak.

Also, if you follow his newsletter, his writings about his life hit me square in the heart-gut and are super relatable, I imagine, for a lot of us.

I also think it's shitty to dismiss somebody whose outspoken and passionate as crazy.

In closing, everybody read Zero.
yeah I feel the same way. his newsletters are actually very well written

Please please please give the Inhumans to somebody else. These books are fucking dull, the characters are lifeless. Soule is a writer not a storyteller. This shit reads like legal briefs.

I dunno about Mr. Slott staying on Spider-Man.
He's been on it for a while, and since Peter came back, it really felt like he just doesn't care.

I hear this a lot and feel the same way but with such consistent sales Marvel doesn't really have a reason to drop him from the title as long as he wants to write it.

But seriously how is this the same guy writing Silver Surfer.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just bought some James Stokoe art... it'll look great right next to my Michel Fiffe and Mike Mignola originals!

Dat last panel:

Sorry, couldn't help but brag. :)

Oh man, that is the COOLEST. Stokoe is one of only a handful of artists I'd want original art from. That's awesome.

NICE!

Real hyped for the new Spurrier/Stokoe joint coming out in a few months.

Do you mean the Spurrier/Stokely book? Or is there also a Spurrier/Stokoe book coming out?

Today blows, some asshole stole my phone

That sucks. I hope it turns out okay one way or another.

Oh man, that is the COOLEST. Stokoe is one of only a handful of artists I'd want original art from. That's awesome.

Do you mean the Spurrier/Stokely book? Or is there also a Spurrier/Stokoe book coming out?

That sucks. I hope it turns out okay one way or another.

the Spurrier/Stokely book. If it was Stokoe, it wouldn't be coming out this year...or ever

cover.jpg

There's a really great interview with the creative team over at ComicsBulletin. Spurrier interviews are always fun

CB: Comics have been experiencing a science fiction and fantasy Renaissance of late, why and what’s going to make The Spire stand out?

Spurrier: Urgh. Horribly unfair question.

Okay, well… I’ll gloss over the “why” part – if only because I have some deeply entrenched and frankly rather ranty views about the whole concept of genre classification, specifically the fact that it’s a pitiful, unhealthy and totally-unfit-for-purpose system designed to accommodate administrators while forcing everyone else into reductive cliché-defined little holes which actively punish originality and fusion – yes indeed, I’ll gloss over that and instead pirouette gracefully into the part about what will make The Spire stand out.

Firstly and most obviously, the art is scintillatingly good and totally unique. In Jeff I’ve found a collaborator who eschews conventional design and intuits storytelling solutions like an artist twice his age. He’s destined for the bigtime, but not in some dismal bloody House Style sort of way. He’s already a favourite of a lot of the biggest names out there – though that’s possibly just because of his delicious beard – and The Spire is his first major creator-owned project. Very worth a look.

For those of you whose interest isn’t adequately piqued by beautiful art or attractively hirsute artists, The Spire is a totally unique tale from a world unlike any other, full of the intimate and the epic in equal measure, coiled around layers of mystery and led by the world’s grumpiest inhuman detective.

If you absolutely must use genre terminologies then it’s an apocalyptic fantasy murder-mystery comedy sci-fi conspiracy thriller, but we’d far rather you kept things sibilant and went for “strange, singular, startling, sinister, sexy, secretive.”

Stokely: Plus how many sci-fi fantasy-whatevers out there have beetle winged, fart-patch propulsion? cherub goblins? JUST ONE!

Boogiepop

-Batman Beyond. Okay, this one was legit bad. Maybe it's just that I'm still having trouble getting over the oldschool Batman Beyond I so loved, maybe it's the tie-in to the terrible Future's End event (still salty about my boy Jaime jobbing like that in the first issue), maybe it's the art, which demonstrates that the Beyond suit, as much as I love it, only really works in the context of the DCAU's forgiving style; adding definition to it kind of ruins it.

Dang. Just about finished reading through the trades for the recent Beyond stuff (reading Justice Lords Beyond tonight to wrap it up), and its been mostly good. Industrial Revolution was garbage and the first two Justice League Beyond trades were kind of flat, but most of the other stuff has done a solid job. But yeah, the Beyond suit can get really bleh depending on who's drawing it and the style. The worst is when anyone tries to draw defined lips with it, which makes it look supremely wrong to me. But yeah, was hoping this would be good, shame to hear otherwise...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
the Spurrier/Stokely book. If it was Stokoe, it wouldn't be coming out this year...or ever

There's a really great interview with the creative team over at ComicsBulletin. Spurrier interviews are always fun

CB: Comics have been experiencing a science fiction and fantasy Renaissance of late, why and what’s going to make The Spire stand out?

That looks so awesome.
And that interview excerpt was great stuff. Haha
I can vouch for the beard comment from Spurrier too. Stokely has a great beard. He's also one of the nicest, coolest people ever. Probably my favorite part of Long Beach Comic Con was meeting him and chatting with him.

Can't believe I mixed up those two artist

my bad...

:(

Haha. No worries. They have very similar names.

Filthy Slug

Sure thing buddy, just remember to apply that to all the people, no matter what they're saying. :)

And just remember to take my shit in context, 'cause all you did was pull a line out of a bigger post.

I've clearly been reading what Kot's been putting out, and clearly don't mean that every outspoken and passionate person should be believed to be a genuine and awesome person. Ain't trying to say that you should take the Westboro Baptist Church as good people.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If i wanted to read about Matt's crazy ex GF what issues would I need to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom