• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

It's a novel. They did a Rogue one and a She-Hulk one last year. I don't know if they were good, probably not.

I usually just wait for the GraphicAudio adaptations now. I just finished Avengers: Everybody Wants to Rule the World, it was pretty good. There's an Ant-Man one out soon-ish as well.

They weren't good.

Is Red Hood/Outlaws good? I remember hearing it was hella goofy in 2011. I tried to get into comics that year with the New 52, but that stuff didn't wow me like I wanted it too and I didn't really know about trades or anything Marvel was doing.

Never actually tried RH though.

I don't think I've ever read anything positive about RHATO, seems like a pass IMO

Is Red Hood/Outlaws good? I remember hearing it was hella goofy in 2011. I tried to get into comics that year with the New 52, but that stuff didn't wow me like I wanted it too and I didn't really know about trades or anything Marvel was doing.

Never actually tried RH though.
The series worked best when they did goofy stuff like going to space or fighting mystical ninjas. The group dynamic is playful and Jason and Roy are total bro's.

If you never read anything Red Hood though read Red Hood: Lost Days and watch the animated movie Under the Red Hood. It'll easily get you caught up.

Splatt

I've been rereading Hickman's whole Avengers run.

That moment with Black Bolt and Lockjaw on the Moon in NA #23, mantears all over my face ;_;

frye

No exaggeration: there is exactly one person on the Internet who actually reads and likes Red Hood and the Outlaws

Mudcrab

That moment with Black Bolt and Lockjaw on the Moon in NA #23, mantears all over my face ;_;

Stark
lining up shots of liquor and putting a repulsor to his head just before 'the end' got to me bad.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's a novel. They did a Rogue one and a She-Hulk one last year. I don't know if they were good, probably not.

I usually just wait for the GraphicAudio adaptations now. I just finished Avengers: Everybody Wants to Rule the World, it was pretty good. There's an Ant-Man one out soon-ish as well.

i wish there were good Marvel novels... i'd read a ton of em.

what are the best GraphicAudios?

ooooff tell me about it

i wish there were good Marvel novels... i'd read a ton of em.

what are the best GraphicAudios?

My favourites are Civil War, The Death of Captain America (re-told as a sequel to Civil War) and the best one, Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket Raccoon & Groot Steal The Galaxy (written by Dan Abnett as well).

The best one they've ever done for comics in general is their adaptation of Batman: No Man's Land. It's based on the Rucka novelization and it's fantastic. Pricey though given it's split into two parts.

Boogiepop

Man, I know it's been said and I'm sure there are far more frustrating and terrible gaps, but... MU can be so odd with what they have on there.

I'm reading through the Spider-girl stuff and decided I should probably tackle the other stuff from that universe since it's nothing too big, and... They have exactly half of the A-Next run up for some reason. Like, why not just add the other 6 issues? It's not good enough to be legit angry about, just bizarre.

Also, J2 remains just about the lamest thing ever far as I can tell, and I can't believe he had a solo title.

jon bones

i just want Jungle Action in MU... i want to read the Killmonger intro :/

I'd rather show you

ah, i meant "tel me about it.." in the other sense. i remember the scene well as it really got to me.

My favourites are Civil War, The Death of Captain America (re-told as a sequel to Civil War) and the best one, Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket Raccoon & Groot Steal The Galaxy (written by Dan Abnett as well).

The best one they've ever done for comics in general is their adaptation of Batman: No Man's Land. It's based on the Rucka novelization and it's fantastic. Pricey though given it's split into two parts.

thanks, i'll check those out... will be nice to listen to some comics audio on the beach this summer 8)

I bought the Rocket Raccoon and Groot novel thinking I would read it and, well, you guys know how that goes

Glad to hear it's good

Squire

Banned
And people say Hickman doesn't do character moments. Load of bullshit.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that's not really the case, but I still wouldn't come down to hard on those folks. I think I come from the David Lynch school of thinking where the plot and the details of the plot often either get in the way of or (certainly in my taste) are just less interesting than the characters growth and interaction. That's just my own preference and comics lend themselves to that as well as everything else.

But Hickman does do character moments. They're slightly sparse, but they're done very well and effectively when they do happen, and their frequency increases gradually as A/NA goes on. The
ultimate confrontation between Black Panther and Namor
was particularly heartbreaking to me. I didn't think he'd follow up on that, but I should've known better, given his attention to detail.

Which is really my biggest takeaway with Hickman; that there's much merit to planning in stories.

And of course one of the Heroclix Con Exclusives this year is Adam Strange and I have to have it and it'll probably be like $100.

10849022_10153074879294079_4330180146063625391_o.jpg

Sadist

I chuckled when Banner is out in the desert by himself drinking a few beers.

One of the best pages in his New Avengers run.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that's not really the case, but I still wouldn't come down to hard on those folks. I think I come from the David Lynch school of thinking where the plot and the details of the plot often either get in the way of or (certainly in my taste) are just less interesting than the characters growth and interaction. That's just my own preference and comics lend themselves to that as well as everything else.

But Hickman does do character moments. They're slightly sparse, but they're done very well and effectively when they do happen, and their frequency increases gradually as A/NA goes on. The
ultimate confrontation between Black Panther and Namor
was particularly heartbreaking to me. I didn't think he'd follow up on that, but I should've known better, given his attention to detail.

Which is really my biggest takeaway with Hickman; that there's much merit to planning in stories.

Totally agree with you on that example. That confrontation and the moment Splatt mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. It is more story-driven than you'd expect from an Avengers story but the characters still felt real to me.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah well they're also notoriously bad with having limited supplies. So I'd make you buy me one but you'd probably be killed in the stampede or they'd have been sold out before the doors open to other vendors.

Are people getting hyped about Heroclix like that? The Stan Lee Pop is scary popular...

Owzers

I'm assuming these people have never read FF/F4.

I wish I could find the panel with the "no son should grow up without a father" bit...

It's because i loved FF/F4 that Avengers seems so empty though, i think it's a remarkably forgettable book that reads like a massive plot outline. I am excited to read Secret Wars tomorrow though, my #1 concern is that it's not written for digital with tiny panels and restrained action like Infinity.

Are people getting hyped about Heroclix like that? The Stan Lee Pop is scary popular...

It's always been like that. Wizkids builds hype around all their Con Exclusives and then never meets the demand. Since they are playable in the games they produce alot of people who can't make it to the cons want them that hyper inflates the secondary market.

Tizoc

And people say Hickman doesn't do character moments. Load of bullshit.

From what I gathered, Hickman's run has more focus on the world story and setting that tend to overshadow the characters. I liked his F4 and FF run which had great character moments indeed, but it comes after the fact of the story events that occur and lead to it.

From what I gathered, Hickman's run has more focus on the world story and setting that tend to overshadow the characters. I liked his F4 and FF run which had great character moments indeed, but it comes after the fact of the story events that occur and lead to it.

True. I never debated that fact but to say that there are no character moments whatsoever is wrong in my opinion.

Tizoc

True. I never debated that fact but to say that there are no character moments whatsoever is wrong in my opinion.

I think most people see how the story overshadows these moments is the reason it is brought up.
Personally I've read a few series that do a good job at having the story move forward by the characters in the comic itself, managing to give them great spotlight without overshadowing the story or vice versa.
The comic in question is
Transformers MTMTE, read it if you ever get the chance and you'll see how it manages to make you care for the characters while still not affecting the plot or overall story and its progression.
Well sort of :p

jon bones

It's because i loved FF/F4 that Avengers seems so empty though, i think it's a remarkably forgettable book that reads like a massive plot outline. I am excited to read Secret Wars tomorrow though, my #1 concern is that it's not written for digital with tiny panels and restrained action like Infinity.

yeah Avengers has been a blast to read but it is very much a plot driven mainline book.

FF/F4 had the benefit of being a closed story with a smaller cast. one where the themes of the plot could tie directly to the individual characters, so the focus is and always was "family." i'm of the opinion it is Hickman's (and possibly Marvel's) magnum opus.

Squire

Banned
Totally agree with you on that example. That confrontation and the moment Splatt mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. It is more story-driven than you'd expect from an Avengers story but the characters still felt real to me.

Absolutely. Hickman is exceptional at clearly laying out the thought processes of these characters. You see exactly where they stand on the moral spectrum, even if they themselves lose sight of it.

Alright ComicGAF, what should I get from the CMX IDW sale? I've got the first volume of Locke & Key which I enjoyed quite a bit, so I'm thinking of picking up the rest of that series. I own, but haven't read the first four TMNT trades, so I'm thinking about picking up the rest of them. I've also heard how great Transformers MTME is, so I was thinking about picking up that whole run. Assuming I only go for one of these, which should I get? Or should I pick up something COMPLETELY different?? Help me, ComicGAF, you're my only hope!

Alright ComicGAF, what should I get from the CMX IDW sale? I've got the first volume of Locke & Key which I enjoyed quite a bit, so I'm thinking of picking up the rest of that series. I own, but haven't read the first four TMNT trades, so I'm thinking about picking up the rest of them. I've also heard how great Transformers MTME is, so I was thinking about picking up that whole run. Assuming I only go for one of these, which should I get? Or should I pick up something COMPLETELY different?? Help me, ComicGAF, you're my only hope!

Locke and Key is phenomenal. Transformers and TMNT are probably fun but I lost interest in both.

Also be sure to get all the Transforners vs GI Joe issues.

frye

Completely different:

Godzilla: Half Century War or Transformers vs. GI Joe

Any guesses for who takes over what post-SW? I'm desperate to know who gets X-Men...

Remender gets X-Men
Waid is doing Avengers
Slott aint ever leaving Spider-Man
Soule is doing GRITTY NETFLIX DAREDEVIL EDITION*
Bunn is doing that one book nobody reads
Ewing is doing some boss ass book people should be reading
Gillen is doing some weird ass tumblr book we'll hear about once a month from ElNarez
and Squirrel Girl will be cancelled, because we don't deserve it

*actual title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom