• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just read the Robin: SOB preview, and I'm fucking excited. Looks like Gleason's just going wild with his art, and the writing was a bit stiff, but absolutely fine.

Now I just need a We Are Robin preview.

Because the 1992 X-Men are the definitive X-Men

X-Men #1 is still the highest selling comic of all time

Because it was a good time for comics. And it's only definitive because of the cartoon. Honestly going back, it doesn't read as well as some later arcs. Compounded with the fact that this is not Claremont and Lee at their hottest, it's some other folk.

Boogiepop

Just read the three part Darkdevil mini. Wasn't anything outstanding or mindblowing but it was solid, and like the character himself probably the best spinoff thing of Spider-Girl. The whole concept is obviously pretty try-hard and forced grimdark, but I still find him kind of charming and enjoyable.

Sblargh

Banned
If i wanted to read about Matt's crazy ex GF what issues would I need to look for?

Which one?

There's Karen (which dates back to the 60s, but only became a drug addict with Frank Miller's Reborn); there's Elektra, which can also be seen during Frank Miller's run and then there's Milla (?) who appears somewhere on Bendi's run.

After you know, Comicvine is actually a very good website to see which issues certain characters appear in.

"This is a resolutely female-centered, anti-macho book (take that, Jeremy Renner), with all-ages jokes on nearly every page, depicting a streamlined world you might want to visit, especially if you can bring your kids. It’s comic that wants to keep readers smiling: It’s not laughing at superheroes, but laughing with them, even as it reminds us of the extraordinary things they can do."

Slate just put up a great review of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl!

Hopefully, the book gets more mainstream attention as to ensure it's a) survival and b) a Tippy-Toe in Ironman Glove plushie!

I really don't know how to feel about this weird new Superman thing. Maybe if I understood what the fuck was even happening. But apparently he has lost his powers and part of losing his powers is for his character to look like shit? I'm not even talking costume. He doesn't look like Clark at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Which one?

There's Karen (which dates back to the 60s, but only became a drug addict with Frank Miller's Reborn); there's Elektra, which can also be seen during Frank Miller's run and then there's Milla (?) who appears somewhere on Bendi's run.

The ones that's in the looney bin instead of dead

Dang. Just about finished reading through the trades for the recent Beyond stuff (reading Justice Lords Beyond tonight to wrap it up), and its been mostly good. Industrial Revolution was garbage and the first two Justice League Beyond trades were kind of flat, but most of the other stuff has done a solid job. But yeah, the Beyond suit can get really bleh depending on who's drawing it and the style. The worst is when anyone tries to draw defined lips with it, which makes it look supremely wrong to me. But yeah, was hoping this would be good, shame to hear otherwise...

Honestly, I think that part of why I'm so down on it could just be because I was reading the Batman Beyond comics m'self just a little while ago, and what they put on display here just doesn't compare. Maybe it'll turn out better than I'm expecting, I dunno.

I really don't know how to feel about this weird new Superman thing. Maybe if I understood what the fuck was even happening. But apparently he has lost his powers and part of losing his powers is for his character to look like shit? I'm not even talking costume. He doesn't look like Clark at all.

It's mostly the hairdo, but I see where you're coming from. He's a lot more... compact that Superman is usually depicted; squatter and even more heavily built. I could get into it, though, depending on how the story goes.

Honestly, I think that part of why I'm so down on it could just be because I was reading the Batman Beyond comics m'self just a little while ago, and what they put on display here just doesn't compare. Maybe it'll turn out better than I'm expecting, I dunno.

It's just such a weird mishmash of a concept. Tim Drake from 5 years in the future of an alternate universe is now 35 years in the future of that universe taking the place of another character from that timeline. It just seems so convoluted. Does DC think that making Tim into Batman Beyond will somehow make it break out in a way that the previous digital Batman Beyond books didn't?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's just such a weird mishmash of a concept. Tim Drake from 5 years in the future of an alternate universe is now 35 years in the future of that universe taking the place of another character from that timeline. It just seems so convoluted. Does DC think that making Tim into Batman Beyond will somehow make it break out in a way that the previous digital Batman Beyond books didn't?

Tell me DC didn't just shit all over Terry...

Yeah it's really disappointing. And then you got Dan Jurgens "writing" it. What could go wrong? Terry McGinnis story deserves to be told.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Haven't read Future's End, but it seems like he
went out like a hero.

A2tZcRX.jpg

Tell me DC didn't just shit all over Terry...

I have some bad news for you, bro. The only consolation is that the Terry of the DCAU (i.e. the one from all the previous Batman Beyond books) should still exist in his universe as Future's End is a separate one. But they did some weird redemption arc for Tim in Future's End that involved him quitting the superhero business and then taking it up again as Batman Beyond when that Terry threw himself off a building and broke his neck.

Not even joking about that last part. Well sort of. An explosion knocked him off if I remember correctly. It was pretty stupid. ;)

I have some bad news for you, bro. The only consolation is that the Terry of the DCAU (i.e. the one from all the previous Batman Beyond books) should still exist in his universe as Future's End is a separate one. But they did some weird redemption arc for Tim in Future's End that involved him quitting the superhero business and then taking it up again as Batman Beyond when that Terry threw himself off a building and broke his neck.

Not even joking about that last part. Well sort of. An explosion knocked him off if I remember correctly. It was pretty stupid. ;)

Haven't read Future's End, but it seems like he
went out like a hero.

Orrrrrr maybe he went out like a chump!

Dammit, Future's End.

Eww. Schwarbage indeed.

Sblargh

Banned
The ones that's in the looney bin instead of dead

That's Milla. Her first appearance was in Daredevil #41 according to google.

Apparently it's also the issue where Maleev draws the Stilt-Man to look like Bendis.

Did we just find one of Bens alts?

Even the username fits. Like it's an explosion of letters

I don't even know what a Ben is. I kind of just come in this thread to tell I like something and then leave without much interaction.

Messi

Heh indeed. It's better but not by much,

That's Milla. Her first appearance was in Daredevil #41 according to google.

Apparently it's also the issue where Maleev draws the Stilt-Man to look like Bendis.

I don't even know what a Ben is. I kind of just come in this thread to tell I like something and then leave without much interaction.

He is a very enthusiastic member of our community. He gets hyped easily and types in all caps. Your post read just like one of his new comic book day posts. We are just having fun :)

I liked the Batman Beyond preview but first, I never watched the animated show and second, I read Futures End in its entirety. Tim Drakes arc was one of the most interesting ones.

I liked the Batman Beyond preview but first, I never watched the animated show and second, I read Futures End in its entirety. Tim Drakes arc was one of the most interesting ones.

Watch the show on Netflix so you can save yourself the money of buying the book week-to-week.

It's also legit good, so there's that too.

If they're going to recolor Madelyne's costume, they should have made it a one piece like Magik's. The fully covered top with the thong bottom and thigh highs looks even more ridiculous than her original costume.

now it looks like she taking a shit on these dudes

Sblargh

Banned
Question about Ultimate End and possibly other Secret Wars spin-offs:

So, the 616 and 1610 characters all retained their memories? People on A-Force didn't sounded like one way or the other, tho I doubt all those 616 people would just accept Doom is God like that. Spider-Verse people clearly having some issues memory-wise, but I assume that's due to the more mystical aspect of the spider-sense.

Maybe the Manhattan people specifically preserved their memories?

Batman Beyond was a great series and was part of the whole DCAU which just made it all the cooler to see where things ended up in the future. And I enjoyed Tim Drakes' arc, too, for the most part. But Terry jobbed unnecessarily.

Like, what the fuck even happened here, lol?

uz4D34M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom