• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
gotham-future-skins-pack-batman-arkham-knight.png

Absolutelydisgusting.jpg

For comparison:

1851760-new_batman_arkham_city_bonus_costumes_revealed_earth_one_the_animated_series_batman_beyond_and_more.jpg

Arkham City, which came out like 4 years ago.

I quite like the Beyond skin though I don't care for TDKR, they should have used Batfleck instead. AC skins mostly sucked, I like the TAS and Blue/Grey. Arkham Origins had the best skins, Thomas Wayne, Batman One Million, Gotham by Fuckin' Gaslight.

Nightwing and Robins suits look like garbage in AK. They were fine in AC.

Wow, Infinity Gauntlet was an unexpected delight. Much different than what I anticipated but it worked beautifully.

A good way to filter out hyperbole is to hold any Marvel comic book against X-Men 100th.

"That new issue of X-Men was awful. Maybe the worst book ever"

"As bad as 100th?"

"Hell no."

Hyperbole detected.

Touché

(though I did say it was pretty bad, not abysmal)

Wait, wait, wait. DC did what?
So after 30 years of trying to fix the fallout of COIE they've just said "Screw it." and we're pretty much back to the old old old old status quo?

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin...omg. My new favorite Secret Wars book. Works beautifully, filled with awesome cameos, and does a nice job of grounding the reader in the setting. Can't recommend this one enough.

There are at least a dozen panels I am dying to post but I don't want to ruin the funny

Wait, wait, wait. DC did what?
So after 30 years of trying to fix the fallout of COIE they've just said "Screw it." and we're pretty much back to the old old old old status quo?

Sort of?
COIE happened because they felt that the idea of the multiverse was too difficult for people to understand. That really isn't the case anymore. Most people get it. My take away from this change is more that they want all the options on the table open for people to tell stories. I don't think you're suddenly going to see "lines" of books like Marvel's Ultimate Universe, but more likely individual titles hand picked here and there from different universes.

Sort of?
COIE happened because they felt that the idea of the multiverse was too difficult for people to understand. That really isn't the case anymore. Most people get it. My take away from this change is more that they want all the options on the table open for people to tell stories. I don't think you're suddenly going to see "lines" of books like Marvel's Ultimate Universe, but more likely individual titles hand picked here and there from different universes.

To be fair, that's pretty much exactly how
pre-COIE DC worked. And yeah, I'm quite familiar with the reasoning behind COIE and the 50 other reboots of varying degrees they've done since then (Well, OK, Infinite Crisis had a different goal). Of course, the funny thing is that this actually makes the DC world more complicated than ever.

To be fair, that's pretty much exactly how
pre-COIE DC worked. And yeah, I'm quite familiar with the reasoning behind COIE and the 50 other reboots of varying degrees they've done since then (Well, OK, Infinite Crisis had a different goal). Of course, the funny thing is that this actually makes the DC world more complicated than ever.

Lets be honest. They did this so that
Legion continuity
actually makes sense now.
Infinite Legions

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
started the cosmic chart this morning before crashing btw, no turning back now!

Thanos #1-4 (of 12) was awesome, I really like good guy...well, anti-hero, whatever you want to call it Thanos.

tim1138

Wow that Flash preview was awful. Horrible writing, atrocious art, just a giant, stinking like of garbage. You'd think with the success of the show they'd want a good creative team on that book.

ElNarez

Banned
I hope people don't sleep on Material like they did Zero, that was a fucking fantastic first issue.

Yeah. It's a book that's pissed off about the same things I'm pissed off at, and making statements with a socio-cultural and political literacy that I wish I had. There's no obfuscation, no games, just a thing that requires you to engage with it, making it and you better for having done so.

It's shit I am all about is what I'm saying, and chances are you will judge it the same way you judge my posting because that book really is in tune with me on a spiritual level.

tim1138

The ElNarez of comics

Well yeah, I mean, oh...

Yeah. It's a book that's pissed off about the same things I'm pissed off at, and making statements with a socio-cultural and political literacy that I wish I had. There's no obfuscation, no games, just a thing that requires you to engage with it, making it and you better for having done so.

It's shit I am all about is what I'm saying, and chances are you will judge it the same way you judge my posting because that book really is in tune with me on a spiritual level.

Seriously though, it was great. Check it out people.

Argh..... I really dont like the art.

I thought the art was serviceable and slavishly devoted to the cartoon. They nailed the look of a mediocre Saturday morning cartoon from the '90s.

The dialogue is spot-on. This is how they all used to talk and act. Whether that's a good thing or not is going to depend on the reader.

That last page reveal really threw me. Wouldn't have guessed that character would pop up in this book.

Owzers

I am moving on to Loki for my next MU start and rereading issue #1 since it's been awhile. I remember being against this series early on because Loki as a "sexy secret agent" after liking Kid Loki in Journey Into Mystery annoyed me, but the first issue was great, better than i remember. I actually confused Gambit #1's story with Loki since it's been so long.

ElNarez

Banned
I am moving on to Loki for my next MU start and rereading issue #1 since it's been awhile. I remember being against this series early on because Loki as a "sexy secret agent" after liking Kid Loki in Journey Into Mystery annoyed me, but the first issue was great, better than i remember. I actually confused Gambit #1's story with Loki since it's been so long.

You need to read Young Avengers right now because it feels like you missed a pretty important chapter, namely
the whole thing about Loki's guilt manifesting itself to stop Loki from pulling a big Loki scheme.
It's intentionally worded weird so you have to read it.

NexusCell

Damn, Old Man Logan was actually really freaking good. Probably the best tie in this week.

Weird how Bendis goes from writing one of the worst to one of the best tie ins

That's pretty fucking huge.
It's basically what Golden/Silver Age DC where any continuity could be written about.[

Finished reading it

Curious what writers will actually do with it, I know
Didio said there was a book spinning out of it, I don't expect too many non prime earth books. JSA stands the most to benefit but I wouldn't be surprised to see writers use Question, Booster Gold, or Flash Family. I'd love to see JSA setup before IC or Flashpoint or a silver age JLA book, or a silver age Superman book complete with Superdickery covers.

Comic con going to be huge.

Owzers

You need to read Young Avengers right now because it feels like you missed a pretty important chapter, namely
the whole thing about Loki's guilt manifesting itself to stop Loki from pulling a big Loki scheme.
It's intentionally worded weird so you have to read it.

8409724655_4d8549be52.jpg

No one can forget Young Avengers. I didn't like it, Loki's role was okay though from what i remember.

Just for grins, here's how I'd rank all of the Secret Wars books I've read so far. Yes I'm bored.

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin
Old Man Logan
Infinity Gauntlet
Planet Hulk
Spider-Verse
Battleworld
Master of Kung Fu
A-Force
The Last Days of Loki
Ultimate End
X-Men '92
Secret Wars 2099
The Last Days of Magneto
Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars
Inferno

I think that's all of them? Christ I've read a lot of SW tie-ins. I still have Journal to read but I haven't been able to get into it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom