• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Marvel is putting out two of the best comedy books right now: The Unbeatable Squirrell Girl and Howard the Duck.

Also, Sexcastle from Image.

Yeah, I've been following Squirrel Girl and love it. I didn't know about Howard the Duck. I'll check that out.

I'm still very new to comics, so my reach is very small. Secret Wars is my first ever attempt to read Marvel, and it's confusing to shit out of me, haha.

I'm begging you Comic-GAF, please jump on this deal if you haven't already read Locke & Key.

Edit: $16 for the whole thing!

Soo.. are all these books physical copies?
I want/need to read Locke & Key.. read some random issues,loved it.

EDIT:
i own locke and key vol 1-4. I didn't want to spend $30 to get the last two volumes yet. I could get all of them digital now for $16 and sell my hardcovers....

Or i could do nothing.

Well then :(

Old Man Logan's first issue is rad. Dude can still write.
I would argue the entirety of Old Man Logan is really good until after Red Skull. Then it just gets fucking weird. I've always felt that OML was missing a chapter. Like after they visit Black Bolt and Emma Frost and then leave, we see Doom watching them, but that's all we see of him. I feel like the story should have had one or two more chapters to really make it feel full. They should have taken place between leaving that sanctuary and arriving in New York.
People can be disgusting

You aren't wrong

I'm still very new to comics, so my reach is very small. Secret Wars is my first ever attempt to read Marvel, and it's confusing to shit out of me, haha.

This is what I was saying to people. If you're deep in Marvel, it makes sense. Anyone else? Secret Wars is mad confusing.

Old Man Logan's first issue is rad. Dude can still write.

So it wasn't just me that thought Old Man Logan was a great fit for Bendis? I hope it's an ongoing.

Fourthed?

tim1138

She drawing it. And it's cancelled, check on Amazon for the trades the issues cover.

Fiona Staples is drawing some Archie stuff and Saga is still going strong.

Not gonna lie, it being cancelled wouldn't surprise me because I doubt it has mass market appeal, but I wouldn't read anything into people picking up these Archie gigs. Since it's Marvel it's just as likely she was only contracted to do the first six or so issues.

Deadly Class 13

Might be my favorite issue so far. Ive been nearly converted to team Maria with this issue. Shes fully blossomed into the top tier. One panel in particular marks her acsension. I wont post it because it deserves to be viewed in full context. This all just makes the end of this issue that much more tragic.

Another fantastic issue of my favorite current series.

But how do we really know?

Why is nobody talking about Material? :/

I hate to say it, but Material for me just...I don't know. In theory, it should have hit all the right buttons with me and I suppose, in one sense, it did. But it just didn't properly click with me, at least not in this first issue. I suppose I'll need to see how I take the next installment.

calder

I joined Comixology yesterday because I haven't read anything except Marvel since I got MU. It's... alright? The store is a bit of a let down as I'm not interested in single issues and only want collections/novels. The viewer is fine, but I let myself imagine the visual quality would be improved and that wasn't the case at all.

I bought The Black Mirror because that probably my favourite Batman story ever and a few other things. I remembered "Mystery Society" from a preview a while back and bought the first volume of that. It was pleasant and fun, if a bit slight.

Zombine

Banned
I hate to say it, but Material for me just...I don't know. In theory, it should have hit all the right buttons with me and I suppose, in one sense, it did. But it just didn't properly click with me, at least not in this first issue. I suppose I'll need to see how I take the next installment.

I think it resonated with me due to it being so...current. We don't have a lot of material (lol) out there on things like Ferguson yet, and it's interesting seeing his take on some of America's low points. I loved the story about the dude from
Gitmo
. Totally hit hard with that one.

Because only three of us bought it.

What are you talking about? Its Kot's biggest seller

You, Zombine, Filthy, Me, ElNanerez, Simply Sarah....

4J6uKLC.gif

tim1138

Did you read it yet? I'm surprised that I loved the art as much as I did. At first I was like "what is this shit?" But then I felt as if it really came together.

I commented yesterday on how good it was. Outside of his Zero issue, I'm not familiar with Will Tempest, but I really dug the art. I thought it was a great fit for the subject matter of the story.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Me too. I felt like starting with a bunch of different stories didn't give me any time to connect with any of them. I was more taken with the single page ad for Wolf. Dat coloring.

Me too. I felt like starting with a bunch of different stories didn't give me any time to connect with any of them. I was more taken with the single page ad for Wolf. Dat coloring.

I think that was part of it for me. Yeah, the stuff evoked some emotion from me, but that was almost entirely coming from poking at very strong feelings that already exist for me. Just...I suppose there wasn't enough to have it hit me beyond my base level emotions on those issues when looked at in the abstract, not when I'm being exposed to much more specific and concrete examples in the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom