• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
The half page ads are dumb, thankfully they seem to be only one month, and the artists were given heads up about them (so that the pages it happens on can be planned). I'm still going to get my books next month.

There is figuretively nothing to be thankful about here. It's a dick move and nobody should buy shit from DC. They need a swift kick in the arse.

Messi

The half page ads are dumb, thankfully they seem to be only one month, and the artists were given heads up about them (so that the pages it happens on can be planned). I'm still going to get my books next month.

You really believe it's only going to be for one month?

tim1138

Y'all are crazy if you think that came from anywhere other than WB corporate. I really dobut it's a coincidence this crap is showing up in the first books to release after the move.

There is figuretively nothing to be thankful about here. It's a dick move and nobody should buy shit from DC. They need a swift kick in the arse.

Y'all are crazy if you think that came from anywhere other than WB corporate. I really dobut it's a coincidence this crap is showing up in the first books to release after the move.

Exactly what Tim said, this isn't coming from anywhere other than WB corporate and good luck not buying books for a month effecting any decisions WB corporate makes.

Yes I'm thankful it seems to be only a month, and that the artists were given a heads up about it, because other wise it could be so much worse.

I want to say something like this happened in the 90's but I can't remember a specific example and may be wrong.

You really believe it's only going to be for one month?

That's what Capullo said he was told. I'm going by that until it changes. Hopefully its a one time thing, and not on the regular.

Messi

Where else could it have come from? Of course it's corporate

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Lol. Ads in comics? What are you all talking about. My trades and OHCs don't have ads.

Speaking of trades and OHCs, I just noticed that I have two omnibuses on my shelf that are still in the shrinkwrap (Orion and Sleeper). I'm really slipping, ComicsGAF.

Zombine

Banned
You all are acting like this came down from Didio and company within DC itself, I'm saying this came from way over their heads and they likely had no say in the matter.

I knew this from the start. My problem is that everyone needs their funny books that bad to the point where they can't skip these #1's.

Lol. Ads in comics? What are you all talking about. My trades and OHCs don't have ads.

Speaking of trades and OHCs, I just noticed that I have two omnibuses on my shelf that are still in the shrinkwrap (Orion and Sleeper). I'm really slipping, ComicsGAF.

The thing is ads really aren't that big of a deal. At least, they aren't to me, when they are done in the way they have been currently. It's easy to ignore them and just flip the page if they are of no interest to me. I object to half page ads solely because it removes that choice from me.

You're right. If you only have two shrink wrapped omnibuses your backlog isn't large enough.

Kipp

The thing is ads really aren't that big of a deal. At least, they aren't to me, when they are done in the way they have been currently. It's easy to ignore them and just flip the page if they are of no interest to me. I object to half page ads solely because it removes that choice from me.

Yeah, I was having a laugh above, but I totally get why this is so much worse. That is super lame.
And also in regards to trades, I just realized, how are collected editions going to deal with these half page ads? There are just going to be a bunch of pages with half of the page comic-less. Tacky.
Even I'm not safe from these half-page ads.

You're right. If you only have two shrink wrapped omnibuses your backlog isn't large enough.

Hahaha
This post reminded me, I forgot to go through IST this week and add things to my wishlist. And just noticed that the TMNT hardcover FINALLY came out! Definitely gotta pick that up soon.

Uh. How exactly? Yeah this ad snafu needs to be fixed but really? "Crazy town"?
Well it likely pissed 100% of its creators. It wouldn't be such a big deal if it was known way beforehand. creators write and draw with that two page structure in mind. For example, at end of comics pages on the right before you have to turn the page there will commonly be a mystery raised or a question being asked. That's writing side.

Art wise, as an artist you try to not just make the art within panels look good but you also have to do it in relationship to other panels within the page and even the other page you can see at the time. So really comics is like a tapestry of images.

Cutting a page fucks with all that. I'd be superpissed if I was a creator and DC was doing this without heavily discussing it's placement with me beforehand.

So yeah I'd say that making decisions that are likely to really piss off your creators puts you in 'crazy town' :p

I can't even remember the last time I bought a book with ads in it. But then again I very rarely buy floppies

tim1138

Yeah, I was having a laugh above, but I totally get why this is so much worse. That is super lame.
And also in regards to trades, I just realized, how are collected editions going to deal with these half page ads? There are just going to be a bunch of pages with half of the page comic-less. Tacky.
Even I'm not safe from these half-page ads.

That's how they do it for old comics from when this was a regular practice. Blank white space with the character logo in it. If I remember I'll go through my old GL and Flash comics to find a couple examples.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

This is precisely my issue with this shitty situation. I don't care that there are ads in comics as long as they don't interfere with the actual content of the fucking story that I'm paying for.

Like, just let me read my 15 Bat-books without a twix ad splitting the fucking panels.

Twix ain't even that good.

Pilgrimzero

Finished up a backlog of Uncanny X-Men. When Scott
dies (temp)
and then Emma
freaks the fuck out in grief
was such good storytelling. Despite all their problems she really does love him deep down. BTW this book is funnier than I thought it would be. I was expecting a super serious tone considering the meta-plot going on.

Anyways more DC way, started reading Lucifer (Sandman was awesome). 1st issue wasn't too hot but I'll keep rolling with it.

Zombine

Banned
I forgot to mention that IGN's explanation of Midnighter was sort of offensive. It's only about a 5 out of 10 on the "things that should upset you scale" but saying that he's "Batman that has sex with men...but that's ok because he's badass" is pretty awful. I was more upset at how awfully written the article was.

Kipp

That's how they do it for old comics from when this was a regular practice. Blank white space with the character logo in it. If I remember I'll go through my old GL and Flash comics to find a couple examples.

Ah okay, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Kipp

Guys. New official Calvin and Hobbes release. It's a behind the scenes type book:

The book includes original art with Watterson’s original commentary, and features a fascinating, in-depth interview in which he describes his journey as an artist, revealing details of his early influences and work, syndication submission package, tools of the trade, perspective on the state of cartooning as an art form, and much, much more.

I gotta get this.

Edit: Ugh. Why does it have to be paperback?

Yeah, as someone who's main enjoyment of the comic medium comes from DC Comics, I'm not going to boycott their books because of the ads. I'll voice my displeasure with them but ultimately it's not going to stop me from buying them. So DC wins I guess.

This is precisely my issue with this shitty situation. I don't care that there are ads in comics as long as they don't interfere with the actual content of the fucking story that I'm paying for.

Like, just let me read my 15 Bat-books without a twix ad splitting the fucking panels.

Twix ain't even that good.

On the plus side it results in a half page layout, which is perfect for landscape mode for ad free digi.

E the Shaggy

So apparently Fox owns the movie rights to Kang as he first appeared in a Fantastic Four book as "Rama Tut" or something. That's kind of crazy.

Well it likely pissed 100% of its creators. It wouldn't be such a big deal if it was known way beforehand. creators write and draw with that two page structure in mind. For example, at end of comics pages on the right before you have to turn the page there will commonly be a mystery raised or a question being asked. That's writing side.

Art wise, as an artist you try to not just make the art within panels look good but you also have to do it in relationship to other panels within the page and even the other page you can see at the time. So really comics is like a tapestry of images.

Cutting a page fucks with all that. I'd be superpissed if I was a creator and DC was doing this without heavily discussing it's placement with me beforehand.

So yeah I'd say that making decisions that are likely to really piss off your creators puts you in 'crazy town' :p

I can't even remember the last time I bought a book with ads in it. But then again I very rarely buy floppies

Capullo said he was told in advance and planned the pages around it.

tim1138

Ah okay, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Here's how it looks in a reprint of a Flash comic:

17UZENv.jpg

I forgot to mention that IGN's explanation of Midnighter was sort of offensive. It's only about a 5 out of 10 on the "things that should upset you scale" but saying that he's "Batman that has sex with men...but that's ok because he's badass" is pretty awful. I was more upset at how awfully written the article was.

Your first problem was you went to IGN to read an article from them.

Same site that takes a game with a beautiful soundtrack like The Witcher 3 and makes an annoying dubstep music video out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWhhPxL3lk

Yeah I remember when everyone got knocked down to 20 pages and people had to adjust. Now they're down to 19.

Nobody but Stephen King could be happy about that and even he probably understands.

Messi

I'm not denying that, ofcourse he's going to be less than pleased. It sucks and its stupid, but at least the artists were given a heads up about it, and it wasn't done after the fact.

Its not terrible, but you won't like the portrayal of Harley in it.

Fuck sake. Why did I buy this.

Didn't know Ex Machina was out on Blu-Ray yet. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow .

It came out Tuesday in Ireland

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i tried watching Arkham but i fell asleep and never felt the need to revisit it

what a let down after Under The Red Hood & Flashpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom