• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Read the first 3 issues of new avengers.

wtf-is-going-on.gif

Idfk something about a Rabbi named Abdul

Question for fans of Snyder: what do you think of how his Batman relies on technology?

I really love Snyders run in general, but the way Batman has extremely sci-fi tech is one thing that irks me somewhat. It's not that it has no place or that even Snyder is misusing it, but I feel Batman is stronger when solving his problems intelligently vs having a gadget that does it for him. Snyder makes this palatable for me by going into how technology works or how he thought of it (see the Justice buster suit for an example of what I mean), but I always thought Batman was at his most Badass making due with limited resources.

Thoughts?

I don't mind it, Batman has almost always been about using gadgets, the tech is just more/modern gadgets. I can't think of anytime in Snyder's run when the sci-fi or tech seemed to be the ultimate solution. Do you have an other examples besides the Justice buster suit? To me that suit made sense, he's going up against Superman, and Wonder Woman, those kind of opponents need more than making due with limited resources.

Veelk

Banned
I don't mind it, Batman has almost always been about using gadgets, the tech is just more/modern gadgets. I can't think of anytime in Snyder's run when the sci-fi or tech seemed to be the ultimate solution. Do you have an other examples besides the Justice buster suit? To me that suit made sense, he's going up against Superman, and Wonder Woman, those kind of opponents need more than making due with limited resources.
I don't know if I'd call it the ultimate solution even in that situation, but another example is when the court of owls broke into Wayne manner and he brought out a giant suit. I guess what I personally don't like about it is that when shit just gets too tough, he turns into Iron Man to beat it. I'd be curious to see a justice league fight where he doesn't have access to a mech suit.

I'm posting from my phone, so I can't type as extensively as I want to, but I'm not saying that the sci-fi tech has driven Snyder work, it's just a prominent theme of it. It's not bad, it's just a personal preference for me and I'm curious as to how other people feel about it. I may be writing my own Batman stories soon and I want a better idea of how integral people see the tech to the character.

Messi

I've never read anything involving Black Panther, Namor or Strange (other than Original Sin). I've never really followed the larger scene of either DC or Marvel. But Black Panther seems like a very internally angry dude.

PsychBat!

Banned
I've never read anything involving Black Panther, Namor or Strange (other than Original Sin). I've never really followed the larger scene of either DC or Marvel. But Black Panther seems like a very internally angry dude.
Namor did destroy most of Wakanda in AvX.

He has cause. As PsychBat mentioned, Namor really fucked up Black Panther's country. He wanted to get revenge on him but the rest of the Illuminati were like, lolno, we need him so sorry about all those people of yours dying, get over it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Four Issues in, What an awesome book.

"Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour"

Finishing this run tonight. Hickman's FF is one of the best Marvel stories I've read.

After this book I really want to check out his Manhattan Projects/Avengers stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Future Foundation looks fucking amazing.

Why havent you said me before that thisnis great stuff? :D

its Hickman F4 so we did

Shit, Franklin expecting Norman Osborn, dressed as a cowboy with a Spider-Man mask "Nice hair, looser"

also Valeria not giving 2 fucks about Gargan Venom

I was talking about it in the past few days. Allred is amazing.

hes talking about the Hickman run, not the recent Ant Man / She Hulk FF

Future Foundation looks fucking amazing.

Why havent you said me before that thisnis great stuff? :D

FF and Journey into Mystery with Sif came out came out near each other and they were some of my favorite things. Maybe Superior Foes was near that too. Fun things.

Haha oops wrong FF. Hickman Future Foundation was awesome.

PsychBat!

Banned
I like how Hickman treats Osborn as a non-threat in his books. He just jabs at Bendis and gives no fucks.

I really got tired of Bendis' obsession with Osborn in both the Ultimate and mainstream universe.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
"Ugh, gross"

Damn, shit, why have I opened this Omnibus earlier? So amazing.

I hope the delivery of Vol. 2 doesnt take that long.

Try to read everything in one go. I left a few months between omnibuses and there was some stuff I already forgot when I started vol. 2. There's a lot to keep track of, but it all comes together perfectly.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
"Ugh, gross"

Damn, shit, why have I opened this Omnibus earlier? So amazing.

I hope the delivery of Vol. 2 doesnt take that long.

Try to read everything in one go. I left a few months between omnibuses and there was some stuff I already forgot when I started vol. 2. There's a lot to keep track of, but it all comes together perfectly.

Yes, this is crucial. Try not to read multiple stories at once or take long breaks... Hickman's work is dense, with threads that spiral off only to circle back dozens of issues later. It's incredibly satisfying when everything comes together.

And I take it you're reading the correct order? It seems like you are, starting with the Dark Reign mini but make sure you know when Fantastic Four turns into FF and swaps back and forth.

Let us know if you don't and we'll pull up the reading order... no need googling anything and potentially spoiling yourself

Things Hickman's FF taught me:
- Franklin and Valeria are the best kids ever.
- Doom is the best grouchy uncle ever.
- Johnny is a shitty roomie.

All this is known.

Edit: and Future Foundation has the best last issue in the world.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Susan to Reed after he spend the night with the council of Reed:
So... You ve been spending a lot of time with yourself
:D

Yes, this is crucial. Try not to read multiple stories at once or take long breaks... Hickman's work is dense, with threads that spiral off only to circle back dozens of issues later. It's incredibly satisfying when everything comes together.

And I take it you're reading the correct order? It seems like you are, starting with the Dark Reign mini but make sure you know when Fantastic Four turns into FF and swaps back and forth.

Let us know if you don't and we'll pull up the reading order... no need googling anything and potentially spoiling yourself

Thanks:D I have the Omnibus, it should already be in the right order^^

CBTech

Most of the horror stories i hear is when they go to ring it up they end up damaging the books because of the way they handle them.

Trying to think of a polite way to tell the cashier not to fuck my books up while ringing them up without coming off as a dick because i had this problem with books-a-millon. This lady rang them up and just threw them in a bag (they weren't bagged/boarded) and it completely fucking up the spine of one and ripped the bottom of another and i wanted to flip a table.

That sounds lovely. I've only bought trades from Hastings so that hasn't been a scenario I've had to deal with. You could always tell them that you just don't need a bag so that doesn't even become an issue. Just carry the stack of comics out by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom